Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
HS2 Embarassment 16:12 - Oct 5 with 3409 viewsblueasfook

There ought to be a national enquiry into this monumental f*** up. How can we undertake future large infrastructure projects seriously without the risk of them running massively over-budget and ultimately being abandoned.

We need to thoroughly understand why this project has massively failed, learn lessons and ensure future projects are delivered (reasonably) on-time and budget.

If I was Keir, I'd be all over this as a huge stick with which to beat the govt.

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

HS2 Embarassment on 16:19 - Oct 5 with 2616 viewsBlueBadger

Look on the bright side, lots of private sector companies have made lots of money.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

HS2 Embarassment on 16:21 - Oct 5 with 2607 viewshomer_123

HS2 Embarassment on 16:19 - Oct 5 by BlueBadger

Look on the bright side, lots of private sector companies have made lots of money.

As it should be.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

HS2 Embarassment on 16:49 - Oct 5 with 2572 viewsBasuco

Was this due to Brexit? Many large infrastructure projects like this receive EU funding, HS2 would have been budgeted when the UK was in the EU, now there is a big hole in the finances, but it would be far too embarrassing to admit this.
HS2 Embarassment on 16:55 - Oct 5 with 2564 viewsgrow_our_own

HS2 Embarassment on 16:49 - Oct 5 by Basuco

Was this due to Brexit? Many large infrastructure projects like this receive EU funding, HS2 would have been budgeted when the UK was in the EU, now there is a big hole in the finances, but it would be far too embarrassing to admit this.

Brexit costs 4% of GDP, or £100bn per year according to the OBR. Take that amount out of any economy, and national embarrassments happen, such as inability to connect our major cities with modern transport links. Have you seen the bond markets? The brexit bus should have had an alternative slogan: "We'll be completely skint".
HS2 Embarassment on 16:56 - Oct 5 with 2561 viewsElderGrizzly

And they'll make lots more yet too.

They need private funding to build the last 4.5 miles to Euston

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/oct/05/hs2-not-extend-euston-without-pr
HS2 Embarassment on 17:16 - Oct 5 with 2525 viewsLeoMuff

Did make me snigger when Monday he was airing his new tough guy persona , saying he wouldn’t be forced to rush into such a huge decision by someone wanting soundbites for a TV show.

Tuesday - we are scrapping the rest of HS2

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

HS2 Embarassment on 17:31 - Oct 5 with 2506 viewsDJR

HS2 Embarassment on 16:56 - Oct 5 by ElderGrizzly

And they'll make lots more yet too.

They need private funding to build the last 4.5 miles to Euston

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/oct/05/hs2-not-extend-euston-without-pr

But this does make me think it that it might never be built despite Sunak's pledge.
HS2 Embarassment on 18:12 - Oct 5 with 2445 viewsChurchman

HS2 Embarassment on 17:16 - Oct 5 by LeoMuff

Did make me snigger when Monday he was airing his new tough guy persona , saying he wouldn’t be forced to rush into such a huge decision by someone wanting soundbites for a TV show.

Tuesday - we are scrapping the rest of HS2

Tough guy persona? Weedy little man persona. An absolute waste of space.

HS2 will be completely scrapped.
Login to get fewer ads

HS2 Embarassment on 18:26 - Oct 5 with 2419 viewsChurchman

HS2 Embarassment on 18:12 - Oct 5 by Churchman

Tough guy persona? Weedy little man persona. An absolute waste of space.

HS2 will be completely scrapped.

Weedy and the gang don’t believe in infrastructure or investment. Thatcher didn’t and neither do these.

I disagree. I hear we don’t have the money. We found it fast enough when their dodgy mates wanted Covid contracts. Find it. Oh and if you want to keep costs down, write the contracts properly and don’t embark on madness like Brexit which inflates costs, kills investment and kills the chance of skilled workers coming in to do the work. And that’s just for beginners.
HS2 Embarassment on 18:41 - Oct 5 with 2387 viewsClapham_Junction

This is a good article on excessive infrastructure costs in the UK. Doesn't go into much detail about why, but there are some very good comments that do.

https://www.samdumitriu.com/p/britains-infrastructure-is-too-expensive
HS2 Embarassment on 19:17 - Oct 5 with 2365 viewsPlums

HS2 Embarassment on 16:49 - Oct 5 by Basuco

This is a good explanation:

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

HS2 Embarassment on 19:28 - Oct 5 with 2339 viewsstonojnr

HS2 Embarassment on 17:31 - Oct 5 by DJR

But this does make me think it that it might never be built despite Sunak's pledge.

The land value in that part of London though, private equity will be all over it like a rash trying to grab a slice of it.

The whole Euston carbuncle of a new station was all about turning it into a massive shopping centre, "destination", that network rail, HS2 co and its partners were going to coin it in via extortionate rents or leases. They'll get the funding for it.

See Liverpool St for similar, though at least the development is more sympathetic to the existing site even if Griff doesnt like it.
HS2 Embarassment on 19:33 - Oct 5 with 2327 viewsNthQldITFC

...and destroyed lots of ancient woodland ultimately for no reason.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

HS2 Embarassment on 20:03 - Oct 5 with 2297 viewsTexaco73

Watch them sell off all the compulsory purchased land as fast as possible too. (Probably to mates at silly low prices)
Then there will be no way of any future government resurrecting the Birmingham/Manchester section.

Pillage and plunder. Scorched earth policies.
HS2 Embarassment on 20:20 - Oct 5 with 2274 viewsBlueBadger

HS2 Embarassment on 19:33 - Oct 5 by NthQldITFC

...and destroyed lots of ancient woodland ultimately for no reason.

Yeah, but those make very little, if any, profits for private sector companies.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

HS2 Embarassment on 20:38 - Oct 5 with 2246 viewsBlueBadger

HS2 Embarassment on 16:55 - Oct 5 by grow_our_own

Brexit costs 4% of GDP, or £100bn per year according to the OBR. Take that amount out of any economy, and national embarrassments happen, such as inability to connect our major cities with modern transport links. Have you seen the bond markets? The brexit bus should have had an alternative slogan: "We'll be completely skint".

Yes, but you loooooooorsssssst get over it.

HS2 Embarassment on 20:53 - Oct 5 with 2235 viewsMullet

People call themselves patriots, vote Tory, they ruin everything and steal the money.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

HS2 Embarassment on 21:04 - Oct 5 with 2206 viewsDJR

HS2 Embarassment on 19:28 - Oct 5 by stonojnr

The land value in that part of London though, private equity will be all over it like a rash trying to grab a slice of it.

The whole Euston carbuncle of a new station was all about turning it into a massive shopping centre, "destination", that network rail, HS2 co and its partners were going to coin it in via extortionate rents or leases. They'll get the funding for it.

See Liverpool St for similar, though at least the development is more sympathetic to the existing site even if Griff doesnt like it.

I'm not so sure shops and offices are quite the investment they once were but the article mentions Battersea and Nine Elms and their thousands of homes which certainly indicates an area of investment where there could well be great private interest.
[Post edited 5 Oct 2023 21:06]
HS2 Embarassment on 21:04 - Oct 5 with 2203 viewsNthQldITFC

HS2 Embarassment on 20:20 - Oct 5 by BlueBadger

Yeah, but those make very little, if any, profits for private sector companies.

Ah! My mistake. They have zero value then and were standing in the way of progress.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

HS2 Embarassment on 08:01 - Oct 6 with 2067 viewsDJR

As I predicted would happen a few days ago, Labour have decided to stick with the Tories' decision to scrap HS2.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2023/10/05/keir-starmer-will-not-commit-rev
HS2 Embarassment on 08:11 - Oct 6 with 2042 viewsGlasgowBlue

HS2 Embarassment on 08:01 - Oct 6 by DJR

As I predicted would happen a few days ago, Labour have decided to stick with the Tories' decision to scrap HS2.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2023/10/05/keir-starmer-will-not-commit-rev

You didn’t have to be a mystic Meg to predict that. Starmer has long been an opponent of HS2.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

HS2 Embarassment on 08:13 - Oct 6 with 2032 viewsDJR

HS2 Embarassment on 08:11 - Oct 6 by GlasgowBlue

You didn’t have to be a mystic Meg to predict that. Starmer has long been an opponent of HS2.

I knew that too but there are many in his Party who are in favour, and now that he is leader he doesn't quite have the same freedom of expression as a humble back-bencher.

EDIT: and I could equally point to this from 2021

"Labour is committed to the full HS2 proposals and Northern Powerhouse rail, Sir Keir Starmer has said."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-59309639
[Post edited 6 Oct 2023 8:21]
HS2 Embarassment on 08:19 - Oct 6 with 2004 viewsredrickstuhaart

HS2 Embarassment on 08:13 - Oct 6 by DJR

I knew that too but there are many in his Party who are in favour, and now that he is leader he doesn't quite have the same freedom of expression as a humble back-bencher.

EDIT: and I could equally point to this from 2021

"Labour is committed to the full HS2 proposals and Northern Powerhouse rail, Sir Keir Starmer has said."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-59309639
[Post edited 6 Oct 2023 8:21]

That is really quite disingenuous. To oppose it long beforehand does not mean, for one moment, that he is opposed to it now, when huge amounts of time and cash have been expended.

To insinuate that that is the reason he won't commit to reversing the decision is just misleading. Of course you can't commit to reversing this sort of decision. The cost of restarting a project which has been closed down would be enormous, the money which has been allocated will have been spent or moved elsewhere. Who knows how much would have been reversed by election time, land sold off, landscaping reversed, key staff paid off etc etc. Absolutely impossible, at this stage, to make such a committment.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2023 8:24]
HS2 Embarassment on 08:24 - Oct 6 with 1991 viewsGlasgowBlue

HS2 Embarassment on 08:19 - Oct 6 by redrickstuhaart

That is really quite disingenuous. To oppose it long beforehand does not mean, for one moment, that he is opposed to it now, when huge amounts of time and cash have been expended.

To insinuate that that is the reason he won't commit to reversing the decision is just misleading. Of course you can't commit to reversing this sort of decision. The cost of restarting a project which has been closed down would be enormous, the money which has been allocated will have been spent or moved elsewhere. Who knows how much would have been reversed by election time, land sold off, landscaping reversed, key staff paid off etc etc. Absolutely impossible, at this stage, to make such a committment.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2023 8:24]

And it wouldn’t surprise me to see Sunak use money earmarked for HS2 as pre election bribes over the next year and a bit.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

HS2 Embarassment on 08:27 - Oct 6 with 1972 viewsDJR

HS2 Embarassment on 08:24 - Oct 6 by GlasgowBlue

And it wouldn’t surprise me to see Sunak use money earmarked for HS2 as pre election bribes over the next year and a bit.

I definitely agree with that, and feel that it may well be a very important factor in the decision to scrap HS2, given the pressure he is under to make tax cuts.

But if he had the interest of the country at heart, he would use the savings to bolster up crumbling public services.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2023 8:28]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024