Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Away games.....in the home section. 17:06 - Oct 27 with 4368 viewsE_I_E_I_E_I_O

Is this something people have done before and is it recommended?

I was abroad when Birmingham tickets came out and totally forget to get them. So thinking about going with my son and sitting quietly in the home end somewhere and not getting excited or upset whatever team is scoring.

Not too sure, but with a pleasant non-stop 2 hour train journey seems a shame not to go even in these circumstances.
Away games.....in the home section. on 17:11 - Oct 27 with 3894 viewsgainsboroughblue

It's not so much the sitting on your hands if you score, it's the impulsive 'Oh FFS' when your striker blazes over from a few yards out like I did at Forest one year that can catch you out.

I'd say Brum is one the riskier places to try this out though.

On that note, I'm reminded of this.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Away games.....in the home section. on 17:17 - Oct 27 with 3869 viewssaffers12

Done a few times, and watching Town is a bigger pay off than not being able to cheer if we score, for me
Away games.....in the home section. on 17:29 - Oct 27 with 3839 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

Just find the least populated stand and sit at the back, and say nothing unless someone chats to you and just be polite and no harm will be done. Basically don't do what West Ham fans do at Portman Road, get in the home end, mouth off, and celebrate madly before acting surprised and insulted when they are ejected from the stadium, while still mouthing off.
Away games.....in the home section. on 17:33 - Oct 27 with 3828 viewsgainsboroughblue

Away games.....in the home section. on 17:29 - Oct 27 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

Just find the least populated stand and sit at the back, and say nothing unless someone chats to you and just be polite and no harm will be done. Basically don't do what West Ham fans do at Portman Road, get in the home end, mouth off, and celebrate madly before acting surprised and insulted when they are ejected from the stadium, while still mouthing off.

There is that, but the slightest whiff of being an away fan in a home section nowadays gets you kicked out. This old bloke got removed at Peterboro last year, probably one of the most harmless fans you could ever meet and he got led out due to whining Posh fans running to stewards.

Away games.....in the home section. on 17:38 - Oct 27 with 3793 viewsRob88

I sat in the home end for derby away last season because a work colleague managed to get me tickets (he’s a derby fan).

I spent most of the time staring over at the away end longing to be in there as limbs went flying.

I kept my mouth shut and squirmed when we scored but tried to remain emotionless. Was difficult considering I was half-cut.
[Post edited 27 Oct 2023 17:40]
Away games.....in the home section. on 17:39 - Oct 27 with 3788 viewsFtnfwest

Have done that in the river end. You actually put most of your mind control into not celebrating a goal. But tend to lose it when someone’s running at the oppo defence!
Away games.....in the home section. on 17:45 - Oct 27 with 3755 viewsBuhrer

Away games.....in the home section. on 17:29 - Oct 27 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

Always seemed to have Cambridge fans, often brought in by Town fans, around us.. Some of these did need to have it pointed out they were in with home fans and should shut the feck up.

Many years ago sat with the scummers at carrot road (free tickets) and silently enjoyed themlosing to spurs.
[Post edited 27 Oct 2023 17:48]
Away games.....in the home section. on 18:19 - Oct 27 with 3679 viewsFrimleyBlue

Away games.....in the home section. on 17:11 - Oct 27 by gainsboroughblue

It's not so much the sitting on your hands if you score, it's the impulsive 'Oh FFS' when your striker blazes over from a few yards out like I did at Forest one year that can catch you out.

Yep totally agree

Only the cup game. But me and my son managed to smile when we scored. But it was the wave of the arm that I couldn't stop when I was frustrated with a pass not connecting. That's the hard part.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Login to get fewer ads

Away games.....in the home section. on 18:53 - Oct 27 with 3648 viewsITFC_Forever

Done it a few times as “a needs must”, but it’s never the same.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Away games.....in the home section. on 18:56 - Oct 27 with 3645 viewsbrazil1982

Last time I did thus was St Middlesbrough with a Boro mate, was OK. We lost 2-0.

Don't think I'd chance it at Brum though.
Away games.....in the home section. on 19:06 - Oct 27 with 3630 viewsbackwaywhen

Done at Norwich, Sat in the upper Barkley , most around us were young pi££ed up wannabes, it’s the game we won 2-0 with Wilness scoring, hard to control emotions especially Norwich, but we managed , just a little elbow nudge as we scored ….. not enjoyable as it would certainly have been .
Away games.....in the home section. on 19:34 - Oct 27 with 3586 viewsyorkshireblue

Away games.....in the home section. on 17:11 - Oct 27 by gainsboroughblue

Done it loads of times (nearly always with mates who support that team which may help and never had any bother or been asked to move) and this is the issue… you stand out when everyone is celebrating and you have your head in your hands.

Like I say, I’ve never been questioned but if I ever was I’d likely say I’m a neutral doing the 92.
Away games.....in the home section. on 21:01 - Oct 27 with 3473 viewsBluespeed225

I’ve done it at Brum a few times, BUT, I’m with the step daughters Grandad who’s season ticket is front row , half way line with Jasper Carrot 2 rows behind, so not the most volatile area. I did go with him as a neutral to watch Stoke in League Cup a few years back. Took my Blue and white bar scarfe , welcomed warmly, was a great night as they came from 2 down, but lost on pens. Cracking atmosphere with a bit of history between the fans.
Away games.....in the home section. on 00:10 - Oct 28 with 3332 viewsnorfsufblue

Away games.....in the home section. on 17:33 - Oct 27 by gainsboroughblue

There is that, but the slightest whiff of being an away fan in a home section nowadays gets you kicked out. This old bloke got removed at Peterboro last year, probably one of the most harmless fans you could ever meet and he got led out due to whining Posh fans running to stewards.

I sat in with the home fans at Posh adjacent to Town fans.... was immensely satisfying to just watch us totally dominate them for the most part and watch the Towns enjoy themselves all afternoon, didn't get any hassle and didn't give any clue that I was ipswich. Actually I think it helped me appreciate just how good we'd got by that point and retrospectively wouldn't change it at all.
Away games.....in the home section. on 00:26 - Oct 28 with 3322 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Lucan is a master of it.
Away games.....in the home section. on 12:45 - Oct 28 with 3164 viewsMidlander

I live in Brum, and annoyed I didn't manage to get an away ticket. I've bought tickets in the back row corner of the main stand. Should be ok if we keep a low profile. I can't not go when it's so local.
Away games.....in the home section. on 12:52 - Oct 28 with 3148 viewsoldburian

I was in with the Millwall supporters in THE cup match in 1978.

Enjoyable
Away games.....in the home section. on 14:02 - Oct 28 with 3060 viewsgoperryrevs

Done it at Villa and at Reading. At Reading they had a last minute equalizer, so had to stand up and gently applaud whilst trying not to grimace.

Just have some self-restraint and watch quietly and you'll be fine.
Away games.....in the home section. on 14:06 - Oct 28 with 3042 viewsgainsboroughblue

Away games.....in the home section. on 14:02 - Oct 28 by goperryrevs

Done it at Villa and at Reading. At Reading they had a last minute equalizer, so had to stand up and gently applaud whilst trying not to grimace.

Just have some self-restraint and watch quietly and you'll be fine.

If that's the Reading game I'm thinking of, that would've taken some restraint to have not gone crazy at what we thought was our winner seconds earlier.

Away games.....in the home section. on 14:33 - Oct 28 with 3010 viewsSE1blue

The family enclosures are usually a good spot and safer to do this.

That said, did this at Everton for an FA Cup game once and I heard worse language from 8 year olds in that section than I hear from adults in my local pub on a Friday night.

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

Away games.....in the home section. on 15:31 - Oct 28 with 2951 viewsClareBlue

Do it loads and the only time I was identified was at Forest Green and Sunderland this year.
FG were used to it and just asked about being a fan in premiership and Europe. Sunderland guy was with his 3 kids and was quite aggressive, in a Joking sort of incomprehensible NE accent way.

It's not same, but needs must.

You get marketing emails from the club for months and Fleetwood asked if I wanted to set up an Irish supporters branch. I declined.
Away games.....in the home section. on 15:41 - Oct 28 with 2933 viewsLord_Lucan

Norwich River End and Chelsea the other year in the cup.

Matthew Harding Stand

Didn't last long once we had scored.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Away games.....in the home section. on 11:21 - Nov 5 with 2357 viewsE_I_E_I_E_I_O

So with peoples opinions in mind we decided to go for it and sit with the home fans. Here's how it went.

Getting tickets was easy with just a quick sign up to their website and mobiles tickets straight to phone. I found the least populated area which just happened to be right above the Town fans. It was definitely a different experience and I had to remind my son when humming the Massimo song but I think we were anonymous to those around us. Overall we would have course loved to have been in the away end when the equalizer went in but there was something to be said for the satisfaction of sitting in the home end watching Brum fans going mental when that happened. It was also a bit odd standing up when they scored. It's not something I will rush to do again however I think it was a experience I would have rather had and if anyone finds them in a position where they can only get such a ticket I would recommend it.

As for the match itself.....not one for reports but here is my take from a perspective of not being caught up in the emotion and a good vantage point.

They came out and were in our faces and stopped us playing our normal game. For the first 30 minutes it had a feel of an away game from maybe the Burley years where we often seemed to struggle away in the more hostile stadiums and would often go down to a 1-0 lose. However we stuck to our principles and from the end of the first have all through the 2nd our football was shining through. We didn't deviate and got our rewards. To me it seemed only 1 team was trying to play football and if the game was 10 minutes longer it's inevitable we'd have got a winner.

Finally, the Town fans were loud throughout but once the equaliser went in I've never heard them so loud....although I assume that is because I was not in with them. Got a got a couple of quality photo's of my son looking down on the away end after the final whistle and we're glad we went. COYB.
[Post edited 5 Nov 2023 11:21]
Away games.....in the home section. on 11:27 - Nov 5 with 2317 viewswoodbridge_blue

Away games.....in the home section. on 12:52 - Oct 28 by oldburian

I was in with the Millwall supporters in THE cup match in 1978.

Enjoyable

I seem to recall it was more a case of the Millwall supporters being in with us.
Away games.....in the home section. on 13:25 - Nov 5 with 2207 viewsHorsham

Reading away on Williams from the half way line day. I remained outwardly calm but I’m not sure how.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024