Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The players must stay level headed, 'one game at a time' etc 09:33 - Oct 29 with 3421 viewstractorboy1978

But as fans surely we can now get a bit carried away and excited? I appreciate I have been doing so on here for a few weeks already!

69 points (low total admittedly) got top 6 last season. If we got 1 point per game from here on in we are on 67! We are getting towards being guaranteed play offs territory after 13 games. Mental.

The players must stay level headed, 'one game at a time' etc on 09:35 - Oct 29 with 2971 viewswkj

We have a tough run of 4 games in quick succession and then the notoriously brutal December fixture list featuring Lesser North Walsham on the 16th. If we get through those periods with a nice buffer between us and 3rd, then I will start getting carried away.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

The players must stay level headed, 'one game at a time' etc on 09:41 - Oct 29 with 2923 viewsFrimleyBlue

The players must stay level headed, 'one game at a time' etc on 09:35 - Oct 29 by wkj

We have a tough run of 4 games in quick succession and then the notoriously brutal December fixture list featuring Lesser North Walsham on the 16th. If we get through those periods with a nice buffer between us and 3rd, then I will start getting carried away.

Yep dec Is the month.

More so as leeds have a fair tough games on paper that month too.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

The players must stay level headed, 'one game at a time' etc on 09:42 - Oct 29 with 2929 viewsPaul

The players must stay level headed, 'one game at a time' etc on 09:35 - Oct 29 by wkj

Indeed, far, far too early to be getting carried away. Even with a 9 point gap to third and a game in hand. It's still only October.

It's been a brilliant start, far better than any of us dare dream of and we should revel in it, but we will not keep up this pace - every team has a dip. Some tough, tough games to come before the New Year and then the prospect of losing some key players in January to international duty - it can all change very quickly.
The players must stay level headed, 'one game at a time' etc on 09:53 - Oct 29 with 2880 viewstractorboy1978

The players must stay level headed, 'one game at a time' etc on 09:42 - Oct 29 by Paul

Indeed, far, far too early to be getting carried away. Even with a 9 point gap to third and a game in hand. It's still only October.

It's been a brilliant start, far better than any of us dare dream of and we should revel in it, but we will not keep up this pace - every team has a dip. Some tough, tough games to come before the New Year and then the prospect of losing some key players in January to international duty - it can all change very quickly.

We won't maintain *this* pace but when you start crunching the numbers based on what has been historically required, we can afford to drop off fairly significantly and still be there at the end of the season.

58 points from 33 games - 92 points - automatics - 1.76 ppg
41 points from 33 games - 75 points - play offs - 1.24 ppg

We are currently averaging 2.62 ppg.
The players must stay level headed, 'one game at a time' etc on 09:54 - Oct 29 with 2875 viewsChurchman

No, we shouldn’t get carried away. We are not even a third of the way into the season.

Excited? Yes, of course. You could feel it in the ground yesterday. We as supporters can and should savour the run we’ve been on in 2023. It’s been astonishing.
The players must stay level headed, 'one game at a time' etc on 09:55 - Oct 29 with 2863 viewsFrimleyBlue

The players must stay level headed, 'one game at a time' etc on 09:42 - Oct 29 by Paul

Maybe this is our blip but we've still managed to win.

Last 2 games have been ropey more than any other games so far. Players looking leggy. Passing going astray. Ladapo burns injuries. Morsy had his 1 game suspension. Etc etc

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

The players must stay level headed, 'one game at a time' etc on 10:12 - Oct 29 with 2849 viewsDarth_Koont

I think these current games are more crucial than any other. Both us and Leicester have stormed into a lead that only puts pressure on the other big teams who are now looking more and more at the lottery of the playoffs.

That puts massive pressure on a team like Leeds or Southampton whose seasons are well below expectation if they feel that they’ve fallen out of the automatic race before halfway. Of course, they’re never out of it as one of us or Leicester could easily have a worse set of results while they go on a long winning run. But if we can make that feel more and more unlikely with our performances and results over the next games then we can let the pressure on them and the disappointment of their fans do the rest.

Pronouns: He/Him

The players must stay level headed, 'one game at a time' etc on 10:12 - Oct 29 with 2848 viewsGuthrum

I think we can, to an extent.

Not getting cocky or billy big bollox towards our rivals' fans, but an appreciation that the start has been incredible and the calculations are, indeed, looking tremendously in our favour, even if there is a drop in form.

We're onto something very good here and so far it shows little sign of stopping. Even a draw or defeat is followed by another run of wins. It's not some bubble which will burst, it's genuinely the standard of the team.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Login to get fewer ads

The players must stay level headed, 'one game at a time' etc on 10:47 - Oct 29 with 2741 viewsPaul

The players must stay level headed, 'one game at a time' etc on 09:53 - Oct 29 by tractorboy1978

We won't maintain *this* pace but when you start crunching the numbers based on what has been historically required, we can afford to drop off fairly significantly and still be there at the end of the season.

58 points from 33 games - 92 points - automatics - 1.76 ppg
41 points from 33 games - 75 points - play offs - 1.24 ppg

We are currently averaging 2.62 ppg.

Yes, true. It's staggering and I don't actually think it's sunk in for me just how good our form has been this calendar year.

I guess after years of disappointment it's hard to take in, but to think we are almost half way to the average play-off points total needed at the end of October is unreal. Plenty of breathing space for sure.
The players must stay level headed, 'one game at a time' etc on 10:51 - Oct 29 with 2716 viewsSwansea_Blue

There’s no problem getting carried away by the run and celebrating the wins. It’d be nuts to start thinking about final positions though. There’s still nearly 3/4 of the season to go.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The players must stay level headed, 'one game at a time' etc on 11:06 - Oct 29 with 2678 viewsBigCommon

I think its fine to get carried away. As long as you realise that its not done until its done...
It's the entertainment industry. You pay your hard earned for the emotional roller coaster ride... For many people, their football experience, is complete escapism from the stresses of real life.. And as much as it's "polite" to stay humble in real life.. When you've invested years of time and money into your choice of "escapism".. Then go for it. Enjoy it in whatever way you choose to.. It's a personal thing, there's no rules.
Apart from the elite European clubs. Most football fans spend 90% of their time , without experiencing success of any kind. So embrace it and dream when it happens. It's not a crime.. It's what you pay for... Like dreaming for an hour when you buy a lottery ticket..
The journey is as important as the prize (whatever that may be).. For those that want to subdue the emotions and downplay the journey... Well, imo , they aren't getting full value..
The players must stay level headed, 'one game at a time' etc on 11:07 - Oct 29 with 2679 viewsSomethingBlue

I know what you mean but, while acknowledging that these are really special times and we must live in the moment, I'm simultaneously a nervous wreck the longer this goes on! Getting back to the top after 22 years would be incredible beyond words and we have to admit we have a chance now.

Think we have to assume 75 points for play-offs and anything below is a bonus. Even so, if we win a couple more soonish it would take a really gargantuan collapse to miss out. Just have to keep this going until the international break if we can; every game is so, so tough and teams will start getting wise to us. Anything, good or bad, is still possible in my book.

Breaking my rule of not looking too far ahead, though, it's not too bad to have Huddersfield at home on the final day if things have fallen apart somewhat and we need a win for the top six ...
[Post edited 29 Oct 2023 11:14]

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

The players must stay level headed, 'one game at a time' etc on 11:25 - Oct 29 with 2630 viewstractorboy1978

The players must stay level headed, 'one game at a time' etc on 10:12 - Oct 29 by Darth_Koont

I think these current games are more crucial than any other. Both us and Leicester have stormed into a lead that only puts pressure on the other big teams who are now looking more and more at the lottery of the playoffs.

That puts massive pressure on a team like Leeds or Southampton whose seasons are well below expectation if they feel that they’ve fallen out of the automatic race before halfway. Of course, they’re never out of it as one of us or Leicester could easily have a worse set of results while they go on a long winning run. But if we can make that feel more and more unlikely with our performances and results over the next games then we can let the pressure on them and the disappointment of their fans do the rest.

The next 10 days could be very interesting. Leeds go to Leicester next weekend which is win/win for us. We then play our game in hand at Rotherham. Could quite conceivably be 15 points clear of Leeds by 10pm on 7th November, which starts to feel rather insurmountable. I expect we were very keen to get the postponement played asap because points psychology will definitely be something we are thinking about.

Interestingly, in the last two seasons, the top 2 after 14 games has been the top 2 at the end of the season (with a lot tighter points difference to 3rd I might add). In 2020/21, Watford overcame Bournemouth, but they were only a point behind them after 14 games.
[Post edited 29 Oct 2023 11:29]
The players must stay level headed, 'one game at a time' etc on 12:48 - Oct 29 with 2496 viewsBluespeed225

I'm getting a bit worried about fans getting ahead of themselves, makes us look a right bunch of c*%t$. I even despaired of the great Mick Mills on the radio on the way home, he's saying it'll take a huge collapse to give away our position. Do people have (relatively) short memories? 03-04, 04-05 we were had it in our hands and look what happened. Burleys boys would always dry up come April, and even back in SBR's day we threw it away a couple of times. Control yourselves ffs.
The players must stay level headed, 'one game at a time' etc on 13:54 - Oct 29 with 2438 viewsHipsterectomy

The players must stay level headed, 'one game at a time' etc on 12:48 - Oct 29 by Bluespeed225

I'm getting a bit worried about fans getting ahead of themselves, makes us look a right bunch of c*%t$. I even despaired of the great Mick Mills on the radio on the way home, he's saying it'll take a huge collapse to give away our position. Do people have (relatively) short memories? 03-04, 04-05 we were had it in our hands and look what happened. Burleys boys would always dry up come April, and even back in SBR's day we threw it away a couple of times. Control yourselves ffs.

Yes a lot of our fans were celebrating that stat that no team with as many points as us a few games ago had ever not got promoted.

I still shudder at Sky basically celebrating our promotion after beating Wigan before Christmas as no team had ever been top of the league at Christmas and not gone up...

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

The players must stay level headed, 'one game at a time' etc on 20:17 - Oct 29 with 2329 viewsBluespeed225

The players must stay level headed, 'one game at a time' etc on 13:54 - Oct 29 by Hipsterectomy

Yes a lot of our fans were celebrating that stat that no team with as many points as us a few games ago had ever not got promoted.

I still shudder at Sky basically celebrating our promotion after beating Wigan before Christmas as no team had ever been top of the league at Christmas and not gone up...

Exactly, come New Year’s Day it all started to fall apart a bit. We know play offs are not our thing, but these lads don’t carry that baggage like we do! Couldn’t see Morsy, Williams, Mass, Clarke, Wolf
and co. rolling over. I’m just a hard bitten fan who’s been disappointed too many times!
The players must stay level headed, 'one game at a time' etc on 20:29 - Oct 29 with 2307 viewsJohnTy

The players must stay level headed, 'one game at a time' etc on 20:17 - Oct 29 by Bluespeed225

Exactly, come New Year’s Day it all started to fall apart a bit. We know play offs are not our thing, but these lads don’t carry that baggage like we do! Couldn’t see Morsy, Williams, Mass, Clarke, Wolf
and co. rolling over. I’m just a hard bitten fan who’s been disappointed too many times!

Yes, right to be wary, one game at a time, but ...after 13 games in League 1 last season we had 30 points, 4 fewer than now. It has been a remarkable start.
The players must stay level headed, 'one game at a time' etc on 20:40 - Oct 29 with 2287 viewsRyorry

Individuals can do as they please, that’s fine.

Personally I’ll just be celebrating any wins, and perhaps draws, if and when they come, as I don’t want to go through what Owls fans went through last season (^shudder^).

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

The players must stay level headed, 'one game at a time' etc on 23:42 - Oct 29 with 2186 viewsbluestandard

The players must stay level headed, 'one game at a time' etc on 11:07 - Oct 29 by SomethingBlue

I know what you mean but, while acknowledging that these are really special times and we must live in the moment, I'm simultaneously a nervous wreck the longer this goes on! Getting back to the top after 22 years would be incredible beyond words and we have to admit we have a chance now.

Think we have to assume 75 points for play-offs and anything below is a bonus. Even so, if we win a couple more soonish it would take a really gargantuan collapse to miss out. Just have to keep this going until the international break if we can; every game is so, so tough and teams will start getting wise to us. Anything, good or bad, is still possible in my book.

Breaking my rule of not looking too far ahead, though, it's not too bad to have Huddersfield at home on the final day if things have fallen apart somewhat and we need a win for the top six ...
[Post edited 29 Oct 2023 11:14]

I agree with your comment that ‘we have to admit we have a chance now’. I think when you look at the numbers that has to be right.

I would be fascinated to know what Ashton and co are thinking right now. At the beginning of the season, the target was simply ‘demonstrable improvement’, which I would agree was the right strategy. Keep adding quality and cohesion to the team a la Luton for a few years and eventually that will drive you over the line to the promised land. Ashton himself said he’d perhaps been guilty in the past of chasing the dream of promotion based on emotion, and over-extending financially. I do wonder though whether they are looking at our situation now slightly differently. We are all doing the maths on this forum every week now with require PPG etc. if management are going to invest heavily in the January window, that decision must have already been made and they’re working on it right now. I wonder what their approach is right now?
The players must stay level headed, 'one game at a time' etc on 23:47 - Oct 29 with 2177 viewsRyorry

The players must stay level headed, 'one game at a time' etc on 23:42 - Oct 29 by bluestandard

I agree with your comment that ‘we have to admit we have a chance now’. I think when you look at the numbers that has to be right.

I would be fascinated to know what Ashton and co are thinking right now. At the beginning of the season, the target was simply ‘demonstrable improvement’, which I would agree was the right strategy. Keep adding quality and cohesion to the team a la Luton for a few years and eventually that will drive you over the line to the promised land. Ashton himself said he’d perhaps been guilty in the past of chasing the dream of promotion based on emotion, and over-extending financially. I do wonder though whether they are looking at our situation now slightly differently. We are all doing the maths on this forum every week now with require PPG etc. if management are going to invest heavily in the January window, that decision must have already been made and they’re working on it right now. I wonder what their approach is right now?

I'd have thought same approach as last season, incorporating an inherent notch up for being a division higher. Tried & tested, fingers crossed it works again.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

The players must stay level headed, 'one game at a time' etc on 00:05 - Oct 30 with 2158 viewsbluestandard

The players must stay level headed, 'one game at a time' etc on 23:47 - Oct 29 by Ryorry

I'd have thought same approach as last season, incorporating an inherent notch up for being a division higher. Tried & tested, fingers crossed it works again.

Yes absolutely agree, but following the same strategy this time around is going to be many orders of magnitude more expensive. It will be another key test for the new ownership.
The players must stay level headed, 'one game at a time' etc on 04:46 - Oct 30 with 2101 viewsIPS_wich

The players must stay level headed, 'one game at a time' etc on 12:48 - Oct 29 by Bluespeed225

And go back 10 years for another example:

1992/93 - newly promoted Ipswich sit 4th at the end of January in the inaugural Premier League, fans dreaming of Europe, just recorded back to back wins against Spurs and Man Utd.

At that point in time our record is: P25, W 10, D 11, L4.

Fast forward to the last day of the season and over 15 games we've won 2, drawn 4 and lost 10 - and we need to secure a point of the last game of the season to avoid relegation. Thankfully we're at home to already relegated Forest and we win to finish 16th (with 3 points separating Sheff Utd in 14th and Palace in 20th who were relegated on goal difference).

I'm loving this season, but I'll start to believe it come Feb/March next year if we're in a similar position to now.
[Post edited 30 Oct 2023 4:47]
The players must stay level headed, 'one game at a time' etc on 05:20 - Oct 30 with 2081 viewsMK1

1 point per game isn't guaranteed. 33 games still to play. I am just enjoying the ride and we finish where we finish. Amazing start, but this is a long tough season. Fans should enjoy it though and you get as carried away as you like.
The players must stay level headed, 'one game at a time' etc on 05:25 - Oct 30 with 2076 viewsMK1

The players must stay level headed, 'one game at a time' etc on 09:55 - Oct 29 by FrimleyBlue

Maybe this is our blip but we've still managed to win.

Last 2 games have been ropey more than any other games so far. Players looking leggy. Passing going astray. Ladapo burns injuries. Morsy had his 1 game suspension. Etc etc

Fair play for your optimism, but I am pretty sure we will have a much bigger blip than that. Fingers crossed we don't, but would be amazed if we didn't.
The players must stay level headed, 'one game at a time' etc on 06:10 - Oct 30 with 2050 viewsGavTWTD

The players must stay level headed, 'one game at a time' etc on 23:42 - Oct 29 by bluestandard

We aren't able to invest heavily due to FFP.

It's hard not to get excited but injuries will happen. We've not been at our best the last 2 matches. Is that partly down to Burns' absence? We drew against Huddersfield when Morsy was suspended and we may lose him for several matches in the new year.

I'm trying to keep my feet on the ground but the first quarter of the season has been exceptional.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024