Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gents, get yourself checked, PLEASE. It's important. 17:29 - Nov 17 with 7493 viewscbower

I was disgnosed with prostate cancer today at a level that may spread. Will have a bone scan now before treatment is decided on. I'm 56 and only got checked after being brow-beaten into it. So fellas ( of a certain age), PLEASE GET CHECKED OUT (yes I'm shouting I know)

bluescouser

Gents, get yourself checked, PLEASE. It's important. on 18:41 - Nov 17 with 1674 viewsgtsb1966

Gents, get yourself checked, PLEASE. It's important. on 18:34 - Nov 17 by TVRBlue

Firstly, sorry to hear of your diagnosis.

Well done for getting checked, for posting about it on here, and for urging others to get checked out.

Recently, I was invited by my doctor's surgery to make an appointment for a "general" health check-up due to my age. Anyway, whilst undergoing the check-up the nurse took a blood sample to be checked, what for exactly I had no idea. I asked the nurse if my PSA would be one of the things checked and was surprised, due to my age, to be told it wouldn't be. The nurse did advise that I could make a separate appointment for a prostate check-up if I wanted one, and I booked this as I left the surgery.

Within a few days I had an appointment to give a further blood sample, and an appointment with my doctor for an examination. I was okay with giving the blood sample - years of being a blood donor helps with that side of things - but I must admit, I was a little anxious about the examination. However, my doctor was very good, and very gentle!

I felt extremely fortunate, and grateful, when my test results came back as "normal" and "nothing to worry about".

This isn't meant as a "look at me post". The above is to make other men "of a certain age" as cbower quite rightly puts it, aware as to how easy the process can be to get checked out.

Finally, to cbower, a big "thank you" for posting, and I wish you all the best with the forthcoming scan. Please stay positive and, if you wish to, let us know how things progress. If you'd like to private message me when you get your scan results please do so. Happy to support if needed.

Take care.

The mere fact that you had to ask for a check shows how it is an absolute disgrace that men in Britain in 2023 do not have a national screening program.
Gents, get yourself checked, PLEASE. It's important. on 18:43 - Nov 17 with 1651 viewscbower

Gents, get yourself checked, PLEASE. It's important. on 18:34 - Nov 17 by TVRBlue

Well done for getting checked, for posting about it on here, and for urging others to get checked out.

Recently, I was invited by my doctor's surgery to make an appointment for a "general" health check-up due to my age. Anyway, whilst undergoing the check-up the nurse took a blood sample to be checked, what for exactly I had no idea. I asked the nurse if my PSA would be one of the things checked and was surprised, due to my age, to be told it wouldn't be. The nurse did advise that I could make a separate appointment for a prostate check-up if I wanted one, and I booked this as I left the surgery.

Within a few days I had an appointment to give a further blood sample, and an appointment with my doctor for an examination. I was okay with giving the blood sample - years of being a blood donor helps with that side of things - but I must admit, I was a little anxious about the examination. However, my doctor was very good, and very gentle!

I felt extremely fortunate, and grateful, when my test results came back as "normal" and "nothing to worry about".

This isn't meant as a "look at me post". The above is to make other men "of a certain age" as cbower quite rightly puts it, aware as to how easy the process can be to get checked out.

Finally, to cbower, a big "thank you" for posting, and I wish you all the best with the forthcoming scan. Please stay positive and, if you wish to, let us know how things progress. If you'd like to private message me when you get your scan results please do so. Happy to support if needed.

Take care.

Balls, downvoted by accident.

bluescouser

Gents, get yourself checked, PLEASE. It's important. on 18:46 - Nov 17 with 1629 viewsTVRBlue

Gents, get yourself checked, PLEASE. It's important. on 18:43 - Nov 17 by cbower

Ha, ha, ha,....no worries!
Gents, get yourself checked, PLEASE. It's important. on 18:46 - Nov 17 with 1625 viewsRyorry

Gents, get yourself checked, PLEASE. It's important. on 18:43 - Nov 17 by cbower

Upped it or you 👍

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Gents, get yourself checked, PLEASE. It's important. on 19:06 - Nov 17 with 1605 viewsMeadowlark

Take care.

Yes. I have regular blood tests at the GP's but when I request PSA they decline.
I went to https://www.chaps.uk.com/ instead and fortunately all was OK, but disappointed that the PSA test is not done as standard by the NHS. I believe their excuse is too many false positives, but having lost a good friend and fellow Town supporter to this disease earlier this year, and another diagnosed but now cancer free, I echo the OP's advice and wish him well for a speedy recovery.
Gents, get yourself checked, PLEASE. It's important. on 19:06 - Nov 17 with 1599 viewsTVRBlue

Gents, get yourself checked, PLEASE. It's important. on 18:41 - Nov 17 by gtsb1966

The mere fact that you had to ask for a check shows how it is an absolute disgrace that men in Britain in 2023 do not have a national screening program.

I agree a national screening program for men for both prostate and testicular cancer would be better for all, and I include the NHS in that.

The earlier these things are detected, the quicker and less intrusive the treatment, thus saving the NHS time, and money. However, I have no idea what the cost of a national screening program would be. Hugely and prohibitively expensive I would imagine.

I'm aware some people, perhaps rightly in their experience, moan about the NHS but I must say mine, and my family's, interactions and experiences with the NHS have been very good for which we are, and always will be, extremely grateful.

This is a general comment gtsb1966, and not aimed at you in any way, but could all of us keep this this subject on cbower and his original post and not turn it in to an argument about the NHS or politics. Thanks in advance everyone.
Gents, get yourself checked, PLEASE. It's important. on 19:07 - Nov 17 with 1589 viewsNthQldITFC

Very sorry to hear that. I'd like to add my best wishes to everybody else's and send some strength and positivity to a fellow blue.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Gents, get yourself checked, PLEASE. It's important. on 19:18 - Nov 17 with 1571 viewsSwansea_Blue

Sorry to hear this cbower. I’m keeping my fingers crossed for you and hope you fight and beat this b&stard of a disease 🤞💪

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

Gents, get yourself checked, PLEASE. It's important. on 19:25 - Nov 17 with 1567 viewsBloomBlue

Sorry to hear that, good luck with the bone scan.

BUT you are 100% correct, men of a certain age should get themselves checked. Unfortunately men (esp in this country) too often adopt the approach " ffs I'm OK, nothing wrong with me, I'll go to the doctors later".
Gents, get yourself checked, PLEASE. It's important. on 19:31 - Nov 17 with 1551 viewsSwansea_Blue

Take care.

I imagine it doesn’t sting until they get up the elbow, does it? .

Good post, cheers. I’m going to call the GP on Monday and get checked out, as I’m not feeling quite right.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Gents, get yourself checked, PLEASE. It's important. on 19:49 - Nov 17 with 1528 viewsSitfcB

Sorry to hear that, all the best to you

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Gents, get yourself checked, PLEASE. It's important. on 19:50 - Nov 17 with 1527 viewsUffordBlue

All the best for a speedy recovery my friend.
Gents, get yourself checked, PLEASE. It's important. on 20:07 - Nov 17 with 1501 viewsgainsboroughblue

All the best mate and as already said, I'm happy to talk through my inbox on here.

Also, thanks for sharing and highlighting that need for guys to get checked. It's nothing we don't know but sometimes that nudge just helps.

This post may also be worth pinning but obviously that's a decision for yourself and board admin given the personal nature of it.

Take care.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Gents, get yourself checked, PLEASE. It's important. on 20:17 - Nov 17 with 1491 viewsdavblue

all the very best and fingers crossed for you.
Gents, get yourself checked, PLEASE. It's important. on 20:35 - Nov 17 with 1477 viewsMullet

Best wishes mate.

I hope you make a full recovery and the treatment isn't too invasive where possible.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Gents, get yourself checked, PLEASE. It's important. on 20:36 - Nov 17 with 1467 viewsSouthBucksBlue

Sorry to hear that and I wish you a speedy recovery. Thanks for posting which I’m sure will benefit others.
Gents, get yourself checked, PLEASE. It's important. on 20:44 - Nov 17 with 1417 viewsjontysnut

Thanks for this. A good friend recently went through something similar and was well looked after and came out ok - hope all goes well for you. There was a bit of dark humour during the process but that helped me to get over some of the issues about getting tested myself.
Gents, get yourself checked, PLEASE. It's important. on 20:50 - Nov 17 with 1395 viewsnorth_stand77

Wishing you all the very best and hope you have a speedy recovery.

Not the same as prostate cancer I know, but I have twice been given the diagnosis of cancer. ..and I'm still here thankfully. It's fantastic what can be done nowadays and the NHS will look after you I'm sure. Good luck.
Gents, get yourself checked, PLEASE. It's important. on 20:57 - Nov 17 with 1384 viewsBluespeed225

Sorry to hear this mate, hope things go well and other heed your call. I went to the Bobby Robson suite back in 18’ for a free(donation ) blood test. Very simple and can spot those at risk. Stay strong.
Gents, get yourself checked, PLEASE. It's important. on 22:21 - Nov 17 with 1312 viewssohamblue

Gents, get yourself checked, PLEASE. It's important. on 20:57 - Nov 17 by Bluespeed225

Sorry to hear this mate, hope things go well and other heed your call. I went to the Bobby Robson suite back in 18’ for a free(donation ) blood test. Very simple and can spot those at risk. Stay strong.

Sorry to hear this, best wishes for a speedy recovery . I am 67 and having a blood test Monday
And prostrate test weds
Gents, get yourself checked, PLEASE. It's important. on 22:37 - Nov 17 with 1296 viewsFather_Jack

Really sorry to hear that and all the best for your future treatment.

I'm really surprised to hear some on here have been refused a PSA test by their GP. I have one fairly regularly (about every 2 years) and whilst they can produce false positives, they might give an early indication which is critical. I've had instances of prostate cancer in the family which makes me higher risk than most.

Don't think anyone else has mentioned it, but there is also a physical inspection that can be undertaken by your GP. Might cause a little embarrasment, but it's quick and painless and well worth it for peace of mind.

Less is more.

Gents, get yourself checked, PLEASE. It's important. on 23:39 - Nov 17 with 1243 viewsSWBlue22

So sorry to hear of your diagnosis. Wish you all the best and if this post prompts another man to get checked and save a life you are a hero. Thinking of you and your family.
Gents, get yourself checked, PLEASE. It's important. on 23:41 - Nov 17 with 1242 viewsWhos_blue

Jeez.

That sucks mate.

Look after yourself.

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

Gents, get yourself checked, PLEASE. It's important. on 07:29 - Nov 18 with 1187 viewsDubai_Blue

Trials starting next year hopefully

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12764013/Health-leaders-approve-prostat
Gents, get yourself checked, PLEASE. It's important. on 08:59 - Nov 18 with 1141 viewsPinewoodblue

Gents, get yourself checked, PLEASE. It's important. on 19:25 - Nov 17 by BloomBlue

Sorry to hear that, good luck with the bone scan.

BUT you are 100% correct, men of a certain age should get themselves checked. Unfortunately men (esp in this country) too often adopt the approach " ffs I'm OK, nothing wrong with me, I'll go to the doctors later".

More worryingly men have a habit of ignoring warning signs until it is too late. This applies to other health issues as well.

From friends experiences it is the waiting to hear part that gets to you. Hope cb hears soon. For the record two friends, in recent months, have both made full recoveries after treatment/operations with no complications.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024