Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Weekend Break - Liverpool or Manchester? 15:11 - Jan 12 with 2227 viewsblueasfook

My birthday coming up in March and am planning a weekend break in either Liverpool or Manchester. Not been to either city for years. Which is better?

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Weekend Break - Liverpool or Manchester? on 15:17 - Jan 12 with 1609 viewsPinewoodblue

It's an age thing My answer would be Liverpool.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Weekend Break - Liverpool or Manchester? on 15:19 - Jan 12 with 1604 viewsgainsboroughblue

Both? Don't know how you are intending to travel but they are 30 miles (ish) apart. Could base yourself in one and travel to the other the next day?

In terms of nightlife, I've always preferred Manc. As far as things to see, both are decent.

Handy for the Peaks and Lakes as well as a deviation or drop in on the way back.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Weekend Break - Liverpool or Manchester? on 15:28 - Jan 12 with 1581 viewsPerublue

Although I'm a Mancunian by birth and half of the family are dripping in Mancness , I'd say Liverpool...Now i'm not sure of your age but I am certain you're no spring chicken and as Gainsboro says the nightlife is has always been better in Manchester,but do you need that ?
Liverpool is more manageable and more "things" of interest rather than "education" to enjoy and has changed dramatically from the 80's when it really was bordering on 3rd World status in every way so I'd go and Beatles it up with a ferry cross the Mersey and check out Goodison before it's gone.

Poll: Rugby World Cup Winner ?

Weekend Break - Liverpool or Manchester? on 15:35 - Jan 12 with 1549 viewsJakeITFC

Both great, but Manchester would be my vote - great food, bars, music and just a really cool vibe about the place nowadays.

Liverpool is a brilliant place for a piss-up though.
Weekend Break - Liverpool or Manchester? on 15:37 - Jan 12 with 1553 viewsblueasfook

Weekend Break - Liverpool or Manchester? on 15:28 - Jan 12 by Perublue

Although I'm a Mancunian by birth and half of the family are dripping in Mancness , I'd say Liverpool...Now i'm not sure of your age but I am certain you're no spring chicken and as Gainsboro says the nightlife is has always been better in Manchester,but do you need that ?
Liverpool is more manageable and more "things" of interest rather than "education" to enjoy and has changed dramatically from the 80's when it really was bordering on 3rd World status in every way so I'd go and Beatles it up with a ferry cross the Mersey and check out Goodison before it's gone.

Cheers, yeah I am in my 50s so no spring chicken ha ha!
I won't be going clubbing - just want good eating, interesting places to see, etc. Both cities have good things to do - tough choice!

Weekend Break - Liverpool or Manchester? on 15:41 - Jan 12 with 1537 viewsPerublue

Weekend Break - Liverpool or Manchester? on 15:37 - Jan 12 by blueasfook

Cheers, yeah I am in my 50s so no spring chicken ha ha!
I won't be going clubbing - just want good eating, interesting places to see, etc. Both cities have good things to do - tough choice!

Hahaha,age wise me too mate....tough choice but nice one,as you won't lose either way...both are great cities for a break especially this decade compared to pre 90's.

Weekend Break - Liverpool or Manchester? on 15:48 - Jan 12 with 1519 viewsthebooks

They’re both great cities, although the samey, Northern city gentrification is sad. Less pronounced in Liverpool, maybe (although Albert Dock is a bit bland), but hard not to have a good time in either.
Weekend Break - Liverpool or Manchester? on 15:48 - Jan 12 with 1518 viewsblueasfook

Weekend Break - Liverpool or Manchester? on 15:41 - Jan 12 by Perublue

Hahaha,age wise me too mate....tough choice but nice one,as you won't lose either way...both are great cities for a break especially this decade compared to pre 90's.

I prefer the Manchester music scene too. I found this... Manchester it is I think.

https://manchestermusictours.com/

Login to get fewer ads

Weekend Break - Liverpool or Manchester? on 15:50 - Jan 12 with 1501 viewsPerublue

Weekend Break - Liverpool or Manchester? on 15:48 - Jan 12 by blueasfook

I prefer the Manchester music scene too. I found this... Manchester it is I think.

https://manchestermusictours.com/

Although I adore the Beatles I adore the Madchester scene,not so much the early to mid 80's.

Weekend Break - Liverpool or Manchester? on 15:53 - Jan 12 with 1475 viewsgiant_stow

Weekend Break - Liverpool or Manchester? on 15:48 - Jan 12 by thebooks

They’re both great cities, although the samey, Northern city gentrification is sad. Less pronounced in Liverpool, maybe (although Albert Dock is a bit bland), but hard not to have a good time in either.

I went to Manchester for the first time in the summer and was blown away by the place. Much bigger and better than I ever realised. So so many new tower blocks going up, which could be good or bad.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Weekend Break - Liverpool or Manchester? on 15:55 - Jan 12 with 1472 viewsblueasfook

Weekend Break - Liverpool or Manchester? on 15:50 - Jan 12 by Perublue

Although I adore the Beatles I adore the Madchester scene,not so much the early to mid 80's.

On the website I linked to, there's a Joy Division tour the weekend I am planning to go. Also would like to visit Karen's diner just for the experience!

Weekend Break - Liverpool or Manchester? on 15:59 - Jan 12 with 1453 viewsDJR

Weekend Break - Liverpool or Manchester? on 15:41 - Jan 12 by Perublue

I would certainly say Liverpool, the centre of which contains some fantastic buildings, as well as the waterfront, museums and galleries, including the Tate.

There are over 2,500 listed buildings in Liverpool (of which 27 are Grade I listed and 85 are Grade II* listed). The city also has a greater number of public sculptures than any other location in the United Kingdom aside from Westminster and more Georgian houses than the city of Bath. This richness of architecture has subsequently seen Liverpool described by English Heritage, as England's finest Victorian city.

https://historic-liverpool.co.uk/listed-buildings-liverpool/#13/53.4150/-2.9800

Its World Heritage Status was revoked in 2021 due to permission given for the new Everton stadium, but this link shows what was included in the original heritage status, including listing the very many listed buildings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liverpool_Maritime_Mercantile_City

St George's Hall in particular is stunning, and was regarded by Pevsner as one of the finest neo-Grecian buildings in the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_George%27s_Hall,_Liverpool
[Post edited 12 Jan 16:04]
Weekend Break - Liverpool or Manchester? on 16:01 - Jan 12 with 1437 viewshype313

Why on gods earth would you want to go up North?

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Weekend Break - Liverpool or Manchester? on 16:06 - Jan 12 with 1414 viewsblueasfook

Weekend Break - Liverpool or Manchester? on 15:59 - Jan 12 by DJR

I would certainly say Liverpool, the centre of which contains some fantastic buildings, as well as the waterfront, museums and galleries, including the Tate.

There are over 2,500 listed buildings in Liverpool (of which 27 are Grade I listed and 85 are Grade II* listed). The city also has a greater number of public sculptures than any other location in the United Kingdom aside from Westminster and more Georgian houses than the city of Bath. This richness of architecture has subsequently seen Liverpool described by English Heritage, as England's finest Victorian city.

https://historic-liverpool.co.uk/listed-buildings-liverpool/#13/53.4150/-2.9800

Its World Heritage Status was revoked in 2021 due to permission given for the new Everton stadium, but this link shows what was included in the original heritage status, including listing the very many listed buildings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liverpool_Maritime_Mercantile_City

St George's Hall in particular is stunning, and was regarded by Pevsner as one of the finest neo-Grecian buildings in the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_George%27s_Hall,_Liverpool
[Post edited 12 Jan 16:04]

And all paid for by slavery. But then most of the north west prospered from the cotton trade.

Weekend Break - Liverpool or Manchester? on 16:20 - Jan 12 with 1380 viewscressi

Neither
Weekend Break - Liverpool or Manchester? on 16:22 - Jan 12 with 1373 viewsblueasfook

Weekend Break - Liverpool or Manchester? on 16:20 - Jan 12 by cressi

Neither

Where would you recommend then?

Weekend Break - Liverpool or Manchester? on 16:36 - Jan 12 with 1349 viewsstonojnr

Having done both last year, I had a better time in Liverpool than Manchester, there just seems more to see & do in Liverpool imo, especially in tourist mode, plus the metro gets you out and around quickish to places like Crosby beach.

Manchester felt just all abit kind of one note to me. There wasn't stacks to do or places to really see, and the trams seem ponderous slow, so going further afield sinks alot of time.
Weekend Break - Liverpool or Manchester? on 16:39 - Jan 12 with 1334 viewsDJR

Weekend Break - Liverpool or Manchester? on 16:06 - Jan 12 by blueasfook

And all paid for by slavery. But then most of the north west prospered from the cotton trade.

Yes, that is sad but true of virtually all large cities in the UK.
Weekend Break - Liverpool or Manchester? on 16:44 - Jan 12 with 1320 viewsDJR

Weekend Break - Liverpool or Manchester? on 16:36 - Jan 12 by stonojnr

Having done both last year, I had a better time in Liverpool than Manchester, there just seems more to see & do in Liverpool imo, especially in tourist mode, plus the metro gets you out and around quickish to places like Crosby beach.

Manchester felt just all abit kind of one note to me. There wasn't stacks to do or places to really see, and the trams seem ponderous slow, so going further afield sinks alot of time.

Yes, Crosby Beach is worth a visit, if time permits. My in-laws live less than half a mile from the beach, and whenever I visit I walk every morning to and along the beach.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Another_Place_(sculpture)
Weekend Break - Liverpool or Manchester? on 17:09 - Jan 12 with 1281 viewsbrazil1982

Manchester has legendary nightlife and many music venues. Gets very busy of a weekend. National football museum is brilliant.
Liverpool - architecturally far more of interest imo, the Anglican cathedral is a must see, a huge, magnificent building.
Both great, save room for the other later in the year.
Weekend Break - Liverpool or Manchester? on 17:44 - Jan 12 with 1239 viewsMattinLondon

It all depends what you’re looking for. Personally I’ll base myself in Manchester but go to Liverpool for a day. If it floats your boat, a ferry ride across the Mersey is great and the International Slavery Museum (on the docks) is really good.

I’d say overall there’s more to do in Manchester - hence why I would base myself there.
Weekend Break - Liverpool or Manchester? on 17:51 - Jan 12 with 1210 viewsChurchman

Weekend Break - Liverpool or Manchester? on 15:53 - Jan 12 by giant_stow

I went to Manchester for the first time in the summer and was blown away by the place. Much bigger and better than I ever realised. So so many new tower blocks going up, which could be good or bad.

Mrs C went to Manchester in the autumn with her chum and loved it. Dirt cheap to get around too.

Not been myself and only once to Liverpool and that was on a Galloways bus to see the FA Cup replay football in 92 so saw nothing of it bar that dodgy park.
[Post edited 12 Jan 17:51]
Weekend Break - Liverpool or Manchester? on 17:53 - Jan 12 with 1195 viewsDJR

Scousers (and I use that phrase fondly) have a reputation for being outgoing and witty.

I saw a programme a few years ago which suggested that this came about because many in the past relied on casual labour down at the docks, where being the most noticed was likely to get you work. It contrasted Manchester where most people worked in factories, and where promoting yourself to get work was less needed.
[Post edited 12 Jan 17:58]
Weekend Break - Liverpool or Manchester? on 17:58 - Jan 12 with 1172 viewsnorfsufblue

I can't help you chose as I've only been to Liverpool but thoroughly enjoyed it ... First time I went I was a bit meh on the Beatles but happened to be their during Beatleweek so I'm now a big fan.... if you do go though make sure you arrange a tour of the Casbah Coffee Club , family home of Pete Best and where it really all started for the fab four .... its all still as it was and definitely not a shiny done up attraction.
Weekend Break - Liverpool or Manchester? on 17:59 - Jan 12 with 1168 viewsKeno

if you planning on going up north and you a classy cultured sophisticated destination them surely it has to be Barrow-in-Furness

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024