Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Get VAR to the Championship 15:28 - Feb 3 with 2674 viewsCustardCream

I know there’s a lot wrong with VAR and every team feels they get shafted my the officials every week… but we actually do.

Would still be 0-0 and possibly a man advantage if we had VAR today
Get VAR to the Championship on 15:30 - Feb 3 with 2197 viewsRyorry

This "things even themselves out over the course of a season" doesn't seem to apply to us either. Or can people provide examples to say otherwise?

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Get VAR to the Championship on 15:34 - Feb 3 with 2160 viewsCustardCream

Get VAR to the Championship on 15:30 - Feb 3 by Ryorry

This "things even themselves out over the course of a season" doesn't seem to apply to us either. Or can people provide examples to say otherwise?

The dodgy second yellow a few weeks back is the only time this season I can think of
Get VAR to the Championship on 10:13 - Feb 4 with 2046 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Straw clutching - every team is going to have decisions go against them, but we deserved to lose that game. We’ve also had some lucky decisions go our way such as the Edmundson potential red at home to Plymouth. We looked like we were playing a higher division team in the first half yesterday, second to every 50/50, and physically bullied.

VAR is sh1te, imagine killing all the spontaneity of celebrating a goal.
Get VAR to the Championship on 10:17 - Feb 4 with 2035 viewsHerbivore

Get VAR to the Championship on 10:13 - Feb 4 by SuperKieranMcKenna

Straw clutching - every team is going to have decisions go against them, but we deserved to lose that game. We’ve also had some lucky decisions go our way such as the Edmundson potential red at home to Plymouth. We looked like we were playing a higher division team in the first half yesterday, second to every 50/50, and physically bullied.

The Edmundson one where there was no contact and the guy dived? Not sure a rare instance of the ref getting it right should be seen as good luck.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Get VAR to the Championship on 10:23 - Feb 4 with 2016 viewsbenrhyddingblue

With VAR we probably lose to QPR at home as they would have got a late penalty
Get VAR to the Championship on 10:31 - Feb 4 with 2000 viewsnorfsufblue

Actually The Champinship would be a good place to experiment with my clear and obvious offside decision with an umpires call big blue line through the torso of the last defender ...clear daylight between torsos is off , and by the way don't use it for subjective decisions UNLESS it's only the ref that reviews based on a limited number of captains review appeals
Get VAR to the Championship on 10:32 - Feb 4 with 1996 viewsSwansea_Blue

We desperately need something like VAR, as the standard of officiating is rubbish. But then the same officials are the VARs, so still mess up. I don’t know what the answer is, but I’m in favour of some form of independent checks to help right wrongs. Everyone seems to hate VAR in its current form though.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Get VAR to the Championship on 10:38 - Feb 4 with 1982 viewsnorfsufblue

Get VAR to the Championship on 10:32 - Feb 4 by Swansea_Blue

We desperately need something like VAR, as the standard of officiating is rubbish. But then the same officials are the VARs, so still mess up. I don’t know what the answer is, but I’m in favour of some form of independent checks to help right wrongs. Everyone seems to hate VAR in its current form though.

That's why I like the ref in the middle doing his own reviews.... when he still gets it wrong no one else can be blame but the overall principle of the refs decision being final is upheld.
Login to get fewer ads

Get VAR to the Championship on 11:29 - Feb 4 with 1928 viewstractorshark

Don’t want VAR full stop.

Yes we had a couple of bad decisions yesterday and there have been other examples over the season where we can feel hard done by.

But Hladky got away with one yesterday, Leicester should have had a penalty on Boxing Day and QPR would have probably had one as well.

VAR is a passion killer, you never know whether to celebrate a goal anymore. And it has not eradicated all mistakes, so why would you want that?

People only call for VAR when their team is on the wrong end of a decision, no one on here demanded its implementation when Leicester were denied that penalty which, let’s be honest, was pretty stonewall.

But I’d rather put up with the odd cr*p decision to have that unbridled joy of celebrating a goal.

Football is a human game. Humans make mistakes. In the same way our keeper will let one through his legs or our strikers will inexplicably miss from six yards, so the ref or linesman will miss something or make the wrong decision.

But that’s football and sometimes it’s the imperfection that actually makes it perfection.
Get VAR to the Championship on 13:02 - Feb 4 with 1891 viewsITFC_Forever

Or just some competent / not corrupt officials?

You don’t need VAR to see the foul on Morsy for the first goal or the offside for the second one.

Just the officials to do their jobs.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Get VAR to the Championship on 13:54 - Feb 4 with 1852 viewslazyblue

Get VAR to the Championship on 10:13 - Feb 4 by SuperKieranMcKenna

Would we have lost if first two goals were wiped off for a foul and offside?

I have no problem with VAR as I would prefer results based on correct( 99% of the time) decisions.
Get VAR to the Championship on 14:01 - Feb 4 with 1840 viewsPinewoodblue

Get VAR to the Championship on 13:02 - Feb 4 by ITFC_Forever

Or just some competent / not corrupt officials?

You don’t need VAR to see the foul on Morsy for the first goal or the offside for the second one.

Just the officials to do their jobs.

Not sure where you would enough competent individuals to extend VAR to Championship.

VAR light, covering just offside would however be a good place to start and needing to clear and obvious to overturn the referees decision, bit like yesterday’s.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Get VAR to the Championship on 14:54 - Feb 4 with 1795 viewsBent_double

Read the title and just had to vote it down.

No, no, no, no no.

The officials at the game made 3 obvious errors yesterday, no point compounding it by having more officials making more errors in games.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Get VAR to the Championship on 17:14 - Feb 4 with 1726 viewsstonojnr

VAR is not the answer, getting better match officials is,

we didnt have this much problem in football 20 years ago, there was always one or two refs whose decisions were often inexplicable, but for the most part they got all the main/big decisions right.

How hard is it to score the officials on calls they got wrong and if they outweigh all the ones they got right, they go back to football officiating school 101 till they get it right.

I think we put up with with poor quality match officials far too often.
Get VAR to the Championship on 21:43 - Feb 4 with 1599 viewsmrfixit426

Get VAR to the Championship on 17:14 - Feb 4 by stonojnr

we didnt have this much problem in football 20 years ago, there was always one or two refs whose decisions were often inexplicable, but for the most part they got all the main/big decisions right.

How hard is it to score the officials on calls they got wrong and if they outweigh all the ones they got right, they go back to football officiating school 101 till they get it right.

Nailed it. We seem to be in an era of shockingly bad match officials. Prem referees seem to rely on VAR to make decisions for them and subsequently seem unable to make big calls when they drop down into the Championship. League One referees we know all about.

In my opinion, the technology should only be used for goal line decisions, offsides (but this need to be revised), and whether a ball crossing the byline is a goal kick or a corner - officials get so many of these wrong it's incredible.
[Post edited 4 Feb 21:44]
Get VAR to the Championship on 08:57 - Feb 5 with 1467 viewsTractorCam

Get VAR to the Championship on 15:30 - Feb 3 by Ryorry

Dewsbury-Hall being denied a massive penalty at Portman Road to potentially make it 2-0 late on.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Get VAR to the Championship on 08:59 - Feb 5 with 1461 viewsFunge

Get VAR to the Championship on 08:57 - Feb 5 by TractorCam

Dewsbury-Hall being denied a massive penalty at Portman Road to potentially make it 2-0 late on.

QPR being denied 2 very strong pens this season at PR - as bad as that point was, it should've been even worse.
Get VAR to the Championship on 09:01 - Feb 5 with 1454 viewsTractorCam

Get VAR to the Championship on 08:59 - Feb 5 by Funge

QPR being denied 2 very strong pens this season at PR - as bad as that point was, it should've been even worse.

I can't even remember those. Naturally as fans you will remember the errors that go against you rather than in your favour. Every team has plenty all the time, swings and roundabouts.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Get VAR to the Championship on 09:27 - Feb 5 with 1417 viewsHerbivore

Get VAR to the Championship on 08:57 - Feb 5 by TractorCam

We've had at least four or five better shouts than that.

Get VAR to the Championship on 09:29 - Feb 5 with 1412 viewsHerbivore

Get VAR to the Championship on 08:59 - Feb 5 by Funge

There was the handball, what was the other one? Again, we've had a couple of similar handball shouts not go our way too. Rotherham springs to mind and I'm sure there was one in a home game we didn't get as well. Some people wanted one at Leicester but the deflection off his leg first meant that would've been very harsh.
[Post edited 5 Feb 12:05]

Get VAR to the Championship on 11:56 - Feb 5 with 1325 viewsNorthLondonBlue2

I’d take dodgy decisions and refereeing mistakes every time over the introduction of VAR. Football thrives on it being a free-flowing game and VAR just stifles it.
Get VAR to the Championship on 12:24 - Feb 5 with 1280 viewsfarkenhell

Get VAR to the Championship on 17:14 - Feb 4 by stonojnr

I'm pleased you put in that caveat in your second paragraph.

Otherwise, I give you Clive feckin Thomas!
Get VAR to the Championship on 12:52 - Feb 5 with 1242 viewsusm

No thanks

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

Get VAR to the Championship on 13:13 - Feb 5 with 1206 viewstractorshark

Get VAR to the Championship on 09:27 - Feb 5 by Herbivore

We've had at least four or five better shouts than that.

You’re probably right but that Leicester one was pretty clear. I think, as Town fans, we’d have to be pretty rose-tinted not to admit we got away with that one.

I’m not sure VAR has really improved the game. It’s killed the spontaneity, passion and enjoyment of celebrating a goal.

Before they introduced it, they said refs were getting 95% of the major decisions correct.

They hoped VAR would take it to 99%. I read last month it was just above 97%.

I can’t see it was worth all the hassle.

Goal-line technology works, offsides could possibly work but fans and pundits have to get out of this mindset of it’s only 1mm, it’s too close to call. Wherever you set the parameters (umpire’s call, clear daylight etc), there will always be a line drawn and someone will be 1mm over it.

The rest of it is subjective. It’s down to interpretation and the game shouldn’t be re-reffed from a studio.

Leave it to the on-field ref and if they keep making mistakes, demote them and promote others.

At the moment Prem refs look lost, they’re on a hiding to nothing and VAR is hindering as much as it’s helping.
Get VAR to the Championship on 13:23 - Feb 5 with 1190 viewsHerbivore

Get VAR to the Championship on 13:13 - Feb 5 by tractorshark

You’re probably right but that Leicester one was pretty clear. I think, as Town fans, we’d have to be pretty rose-tinted not to admit we got away with that one.

I’m not sure VAR has really improved the game. It’s killed the spontaneity, passion and enjoyment of celebrating a goal.

Before they introduced it, they said refs were getting 95% of the major decisions correct.

They hoped VAR would take it to 99%. I read last month it was just above 97%.

I can’t see it was worth all the hassle.

Goal-line technology works, offsides could possibly work but fans and pundits have to get out of this mindset of it’s only 1mm, it’s too close to call. Wherever you set the parameters (umpire’s call, clear daylight etc), there will always be a line drawn and someone will be 1mm over it.

The rest of it is subjective. It’s down to interpretation and the game shouldn’t be re-reffed from a studio.

Leave it to the on-field ref and if they keep making mistakes, demote them and promote others.

At the moment Prem refs look lost, they’re on a hiding to nothing and VAR is hindering as much as it’s helping.

Thought it would have been soft. Initial contact was shoulder to shoulder and Burgess looking to ease him off, looked worse because Dewsbury-Hall had so much momentum. Dewsbury-Hall was playing for it as he knew he wasn't getting to the ball before Hladky. Think it's more of a seen them given than an absolute stonewall one.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024