Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Blue Card = 10 minute sin bin 17:20 - Feb 8 with 4542 viewsCharlie_pl_baxter

IFAB are trialling blue cards for dissent and "cynical" fouls. Will be a ten minute sin bin. Not at the professional level to begin with but planning to go throughout the game.

Personally I like it, hopefully they extend to all unsportsmanlike conduct including obvious dives.

https://news.sky.com/story/footballs-rulemakers-set-to-introduce-blue-cards-for-

Poll: We recruit two strikers, one has to be Bonne or Wickham, who would you have?

Blue Card = 10 minute sin bin on 19:41 - Feb 8 with 1114 viewsMattinLondon

Blue Card = 10 minute sin bin on 18:35 - Feb 8 by TheMover

Personally, I would rather see every yellow card is 10 mins in the sin bin. Take a dive, 10 mins off, dissent towrds the ref, 10 mins off time wasting 10 mins off. Would change the game overnight

I don’t see why diving should be seen as a greater offence than a player grabbing hold of a shirt at a corner. Both are done to get an advantage.

I doubt whether it would change the game overnight - refs might well become more hesitant to label a player a diver etc.
Blue Card = 10 minute sin bin on 19:45 - Feb 8 with 1106 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Blue Card = 10 minute sin bin on 19:31 - Feb 8 by Garv

It's a tragically bad idea. We're basically still trialling VAR and yet we want to add this into the mix.

It will just add more controversy. People will dispute whether the sin bin was justified and claim it affected the result. Who's going to time the ten minutes and make sure the player is bad on the pitch in time? What if there's no break in play? Referees struggle already, this is just another thing for them to worry about.

It will affect the quality of the game. Teams will play a low block for ten minutes to make sure they survive the time with one less player.

Will the sin bin apply across both halves if applied late in the first half?

If dissent is that bad enough the referee can send the player off. If it's not that bad, you accept that it's an emotional and high pressure sport, you yellow card the player and get on with it. Cyclical fouls are annoying but they've always been there. If you want to try and curb it, why not lower the threshold for totting up bans or say a cynical foul counts as double, for example.

Ultimately it will make football less like football, as if that hasn't started happening enough all ready. Also, why do we have to make the FA Cup, a competition people already feel is losing value, a guinea pig for this gimmick?

There is a fourth official for timing it. Currently the player can only come back on when the referee waves them back on. The fourth official would indicate that to the referee. I would suggest the 10 minutes should be timed from when the ball is in play after they left the pitch and can only end with the ball in play. For any stoppage during the 10 minutes, the clock on the player is also stopped. This would all be much clearer and easier if there was a central clock displayed for timing the match as in other sports. The referee would indicate when it stops and when it restarts at the moment the ball is back in play. It then eliminates the need for a random time allowed at the end of the half too.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Blue Card = 10 minute sin bin on 19:45 - Feb 8 with 1104 viewsMark

I don't like the sound of that, more interfering in the game. Football is better when we keep it simple. Dissent is a yellow card surely, and if the player does it again a second yellow.
Blue Card = 10 minute sin bin on 19:51 - Feb 8 with 1097 viewsmo_itfc

Anyone familiar with Magic The Gathering...
A blue card for player removal works!

Poll: Now that The Athletic has an article, is this takeover actually happening?

What if the keeper gets "blued"?? (n/t) on 19:59 - Feb 8 with 1076 viewsbazza

What if the keeper gets "blued"?? (n/t) on 17:53 - Feb 8 by Bloots

10 minute open goal..
What if the keeper gets "blued"?? (n/t) on 20:03 - Feb 8 with 1059 viewsNthsuffolkblue

What if the keeper gets "blued"?? (n/t) on 19:59 - Feb 8 by bazza

10 minute open goal..

Radical suggestion, but you could allow another player to go in goal as per the rules!

Blue Card = 10 minute sin bin on 20:07 - Feb 8 with 1050 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

Blue Card = 10 minute sin bin on 19:40 - Feb 8 by Nthsuffolkblue

I am all for it as long officials use it consistently and correctly.

It happens at youth level mainly if a player shows dissent or kicks the ball away! U16 last yr
Blue Card = 10 minute sin bin on 20:10 - Feb 8 with 1040 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Blue Card = 10 minute sin bin on 20:07 - Feb 8 by BtreeBlueBlood

It happens at youth level mainly if a player shows dissent or kicks the ball away! U16 last yr

My issue is more whether the top officials would implement it and continue to do so consistently.

At the start of the season there was a clamp down on time wasting that led to much more time added on. That has stopped. Why? It isn't because there is no longer any time wasting.

Login to get fewer ads

Rush goalies!! (n/t) on 20:19 - Feb 8 with 1022 viewsBloots

What if the keeper gets "blued"?? (n/t) on 19:59 - Feb 8 by bazza

10 minute open goal..

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Rush goalies!! (n/t) on 20:22 - Feb 8 with 1015 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

Rush goalies!! (n/t) on 20:19 - Feb 8 by Bloots

Jumpers for goalposts, mmm? Isn't it?

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Blue Card = 10 minute sin bin on 20:26 - Feb 8 with 1006 viewsBluespeed225

Goalie taking his time with a goal kick, last 10 minutes? Could be interesting. Wouldn’t be allowed to sub him. Can you just stick an outfit player in goal and sub another player?
Blue Card = 10 minute sin bin on 20:31 - Feb 8 with 994 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Blue Card = 10 minute sin bin on 20:26 - Feb 8 by Bluespeed225

Goalie taking his time with a goal kick, last 10 minutes? Could be interesting. Wouldn’t be allowed to sub him. Can you just stick an outfit player in goal and sub another player?

If there are substitutions left.

The most likely outcome is stops most goalkeepers from doing it and isn't that the point of it?

Blue Card = 10 minute sin bin on 20:38 - Feb 8 with 986 viewsstonojnr

Sounds a terrible idea to me, what problem is it exactly solving ? Why should a cynical foul only be a ten minute sin bin and not a yellow card meaning another cynical foul means you're off the pitch.
Blue Card = 10 minute sin bin on 20:42 - Feb 8 with 978 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

Why not "experiment" with applying the existing laws more stringently?

Blue Card = 10 minute sin bin on 20:53 - Feb 8 with 971 viewsBondiBlue

I got sin-binned for pointing out how the ref had misapplied the offside rule in an over 35s game last season. Thenat full time the lino told me to never speak to a referee.

I'm against it. Dissent is extremely subjective and power corrupts - we'll end up with sin bins left right and centre for nothing. Plus VAR can't prove or disprove it so the players will have zero appeal. If anything it will reduce player respect for refs.

Poll: Which would you accept?

Blue Card = 10 minute sin bin on 20:58 - Feb 8 with 957 viewsPioneerBlue

I do wish they would stop dabbling and apply the rules that already exist consistently. I have written about all this before and a sin bin isn’t something I’m completely against. It does how open the concern they will get this wrong too. I like the idea that teams harmed by the opposition get the player advantage on the day, accumulated yellows or red suspensions seems to benefit your opponents when you are the team harder by the offense.

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

Blue Card = 10 minute sin bin on 21:21 - Feb 8 with 944 viewsSitfcB

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Rush goalies!! (n/t) on 22:02 - Feb 8 with 915 viewsbazza

Rush goalies!! (n/t) on 20:19 - Feb 8 by Bloots

Should have 10 minute sin bin for Shiite officiating..
Blue Card = 10 minute sin bin on 22:02 - Feb 8 with 913 viewsGarv

Blue Card = 10 minute sin bin on 19:45 - Feb 8 by Nthsuffolkblue

There is a fourth official for timing it. Currently the player can only come back on when the referee waves them back on. The fourth official would indicate that to the referee. I would suggest the 10 minutes should be timed from when the ball is in play after they left the pitch and can only end with the ball in play. For any stoppage during the 10 minutes, the clock on the player is also stopped. This would all be much clearer and easier if there was a central clock displayed for timing the match as in other sports. The referee would indicate when it stops and when it restarts at the moment the ball is back in play. It then eliminates the need for a random time allowed at the end of the half too.

Sorry, not convinced. If anything you make it sound even worse than I already think.

It's just another thing for officials to think about, inevitably get wrong, and get tonnes of stick for from managers and fans.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Blue Card = 10 minute sin bin on 22:30 - Feb 8 with 889 viewsSheffordBlue

Interesting reactions to this (not just on here). Poor implementation of VAR seems to have biased people against any change and there seems to be a view that the pace/scale of change has increased which I don't think is true - IFAB have revised rules and brought in trials on an annual basis for a while.

That's not to say blue cards are a good idea or bad idea but even the prospect of trailing them has sparked a really strong reaction.

There's an interesting list of notable changes to the laws here - many of which came in with little or no fanfare or where there was some debate but they worked out fine.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laws_of_the_Game_(association_football)#Notable_am

Was there this amount of uproar when red and yellow cards came in in 1970?

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

Blue Card = 10 minute sin bin on 22:39 - Feb 8 with 873 viewsredrickstuhaart

Blue Card = 10 minute sin bin on 22:30 - Feb 8 by SheffordBlue

Interesting reactions to this (not just on here). Poor implementation of VAR seems to have biased people against any change and there seems to be a view that the pace/scale of change has increased which I don't think is true - IFAB have revised rules and brought in trials on an annual basis for a while.

That's not to say blue cards are a good idea or bad idea but even the prospect of trailing them has sparked a really strong reaction.

There's an interesting list of notable changes to the laws here - many of which came in with little or no fanfare or where there was some debate but they worked out fine.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laws_of_the_Game_(association_football)#Notable_am

Problem is that every trial is basically a fait accomplit. No matter what fans say, they will plough ahead anyway.

I still dont understand what problem it is looking to address.
Blue Card = 10 minute sin bin on 22:39 - Feb 8 with 872 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

Blue Card = 10 minute sin bin on 22:30 - Feb 8 by SheffordBlue

But the introduction of cards was simply a more visible indication of the application of laws that already existed.

Blue Card = 10 minute sin bin on 22:40 - Feb 8 with 870 viewsWicklowBlue

Just responding to the OP, haven't read the responses...

Call me archaic but why keep trying to change a sport that has one of the highest audiences across the globe?

Other, dare I say more minority sports have done similar to try and gain a larger audience.

For example, Field hockey used to have an offside rule...that was done away with the thinking it would change the game and make it more exciting. What happened was it didn't, it just meant more 1 on 1 marking. They also brought in the green card which ultimately was a warning that if foul play continued your captain would be sin binned. Yellows in hockey were always a sin bin. The IHL have continued to tweak the rules, so now games are played in quarters and other rules so much to the point now I don't recognise the game which I played for 27 years.

In GAA they brought in the Black card which meant that player had to be substituted. There was a lot of derision about the implementation of that, what constituted a drag down and ultimately complicated the game.

Rugby Union, for me brought in the best implementation of VAR which is the TMO review which more often than not works. In hockey and Rugby a yellow card sin bin works and punishes the offence. I'm still on the fence about the yellow review in Rugby but so far seems to be working.

In short why feck around with blue cards, and leave the game alone. Get VAR right and trusted like the TMO in Rugby. Respect the referee like Rugby or get a yellow

Rant over but the easiest thing to do to stop cynical fouls, time-wasting, abuse would be to upgrade a yellow to a 5min sit down and cool off offence IMHO. Otherwise leave football rules alone, focus on enforcing the rules as they are today.

Edit: I'm sure I'll get flamed on Rugby safety etc. But just to add FIFA need to get real and introduce HIA's at all levels!
[Post edited 8 Feb 22:46]
Blue Card = 10 minute sin bin on 22:55 - Feb 8 with 852 viewsTrequartista

ffs

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Blue Card = 10 minute sin bin on 22:58 - Feb 8 with 847 viewsEastboundSplinter

Blue Card = 10 minute sin bin on 20:53 - Feb 8 by BondiBlue

I got sin-binned for pointing out how the ref had misapplied the offside rule in an over 35s game last season. Thenat full time the lino told me to never speak to a referee.

I'm against it. Dissent is extremely subjective and power corrupts - we'll end up with sin bins left right and centre for nothing. Plus VAR can't prove or disprove it so the players will have zero appeal. If anything it will reduce player respect for refs.

Sin bins have been mandatory for dissent in all competitions up to step 5 (Thurlow Nunn Prem) for a few years now. Incidents of dissent have dropped as a result.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024