Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How was Axel last night? 10:55 - Mar 6 with 2361 viewsVic

Did he put in another good performance? Would be great if he is getting a high level of consistency at last.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

How was Axel last night? on 10:57 - Mar 6 with 2337 viewspointofblue

Pretty good though clearly tired in the second half. The Clarke sub was the right one.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

How was Axel last night? on 10:58 - Mar 6 with 2336 viewsNthQldITFC

Not so good as last two games, looked a bit knackered I think. He's got some good time in his legs which will serve us well over the rest of the season, but I'd have Clarke back in for Cardiff.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

How was Axel last night? on 10:58 - Mar 6 with 2315 viewshomer_123

Yep, pretty decent to be fair, generally.

Maybe out of position once or twice but overall another solid performance.

Not sure if it was merely the fact that Mehmeti meant he couldn't but he really didn't get forward at all last night.

This is the trade off with Clarke. Axel is better defensively but Clarke offers more going forward. It's good we have options.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

How was Axel last night? on 10:59 - Mar 6 with 2306 viewsblue_curacao

I thought he was good defensively but clearly not as comfortable on the ball as the rest of our defenders. Doesn't know what to do with the ball once he passes the halfway line
How was Axel last night? on 10:59 - Mar 6 with 2305 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Was goosed 2nd half but he did alright.

Clarke sub was needed just have to have that better on the ball quality in their half.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

How was Axel last night? on 11:01 - Mar 6 with 2280 viewshype313

He was solid, but given he's playing out of position he struggles with the link up with Omari. Was noticeble when Clarke and Burns worked together we suddenly opened them up, they are just in tune and know what each other are doing, what balls are coming, what run Wes is planning.

That's not a slight on Axel, he's been immense defensively, but as Homer says, there is a trade off between the two.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

How was Axel last night? on 11:05 - Mar 6 with 2236 viewsLankHenners

Said the other day I'm not convinced by the Axel hype to be honest and not changed my view after last night. Solid as a defender but looks a bit awkward and out of place at RB and doesn't offer near as much of a threat going forwards as Clarke.

Maybe we're managing Clarke's achilles very carefully (and also conscious we're very very light in the FB areas) but I'd like to see him back in the team, especially at home. Maybe Axel has his place in away games where we need to put up more of a physical fight but think we're limiting how much we can offer attacking-wise down the right with him there.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

How was Axel last night? on 11:07 - Mar 6 with 2213 viewsbaxterbasics

He did ok but as others noted, the interplay between he and Hutch not quite where it needed to be. Clarke/Burns so much more effective. I'm often critical of Clarke as a defender but it is plain to see the magic chemistry there. Similarly, Davis/Harness wasn't exactly working either.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

Login to get fewer ads

How was Axel last night? on 11:10 - Mar 6 with 2172 viewssolemio

How was Axel last night? on 11:01 - Mar 6 by hype313

He was solid, but given he's playing out of position he struggles with the link up with Omari. Was noticeble when Clarke and Burns worked together we suddenly opened them up, they are just in tune and know what each other are doing, what balls are coming, what run Wes is planning.

That's not a slight on Axel, he's been immense defensively, but as Homer says, there is a trade off between the two.

Yes, but what do Virgil and Catullus say?
How was Axel last night? on 11:12 - Mar 6 with 2152 viewsDanTheMan

How was Axel last night? on 11:05 - Mar 6 by LankHenners

Said the other day I'm not convinced by the Axel hype to be honest and not changed my view after last night. Solid as a defender but looks a bit awkward and out of place at RB and doesn't offer near as much of a threat going forwards as Clarke.

Maybe we're managing Clarke's achilles very carefully (and also conscious we're very very light in the FB areas) but I'd like to see him back in the team, especially at home. Maybe Axel has his place in away games where we need to put up more of a physical fight but think we're limiting how much we can offer attacking-wise down the right with him there.

I wonder whether it's trying to build Omari and Axel as a pairing with Clarke and Burns as another.

Having Axel there eases the pressure on Omari and then similar to Burns being there letting Clarke have a little more freedom.

I could also be talking utter nonsense.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

How was Axel last night? on 11:40 - Mar 6 with 2022 viewsGlasgowBlue

Not his best game of the three starts he's had recently. I think the game was crying out for Clarke as Omari was quite isolated when we were attacking.

I'd use Clarke for the home games and Axel away.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

How was Axel last night? on 11:51 - Mar 6 with 1952 viewscressi

Got done inside for their first goal better positional sense than Clarke but often poundous with his passing and Clarke carries the ball up the pitch much better.
How was Axel last night? on 11:54 - Mar 6 with 1910 views_clive_baker_

Looked a bit suspect 1 on 1 when he's fronted up, but I think he's a quality player. Really good on the ball and in the air and has deceptive pace. I thought across the back yesterday we were a little generous at times, Woolfy was guilty of it and wondered at the time if Davis shouldn't have got done on that long ball that resulted in their 2nd. Thereafter how he had so much space to pick that header out was disappointing, but a consequence of Davis not winning that which I think Burgess was expecting him to and his reaction certainly looked like it.
[Post edited 6 Mar 11:55]
How was Axel last night? on 12:05 - Mar 6 with 1813 viewsSwansea_Blue

Mehmeti turned him inside out for his goal. But he wasn't bad otherwise. He's slotted in better than I'd have expected really, which is a good job given the Williams fiasco.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

How was Axel last night? on 12:13 - Mar 6 with 1723 viewsbaxterbasics

How was Axel last night? on 11:54 - Mar 6 by _clive_baker_

Looked a bit suspect 1 on 1 when he's fronted up, but I think he's a quality player. Really good on the ball and in the air and has deceptive pace. I thought across the back yesterday we were a little generous at times, Woolfy was guilty of it and wondered at the time if Davis shouldn't have got done on that long ball that resulted in their 2nd. Thereafter how he had so much space to pick that header out was disappointing, but a consequence of Davis not winning that which I think Burgess was expecting him to and his reaction certainly looked like it.
[Post edited 6 Mar 11:55]

I agree Davis really should have dealt with it better for the second goal. He more than made up for it thankfully.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

How was Axel last night? on 12:14 - Mar 6 with 1724 viewsBarcaBlue

How was Axel last night? on 11:05 - Mar 6 by LankHenners

I thought he very much looked like a cb playing rb last night. Needs must with Clarke maybe not being 100% but I don't see him as anything but a short term fix at right back.
How was Axel last night? on 12:16 - Mar 6 with 1714 viewsBramidan

How was Axel last night? on 11:40 - Mar 6 by GlasgowBlue

Not his best game of the three starts he's had recently. I think the game was crying out for Clarke as Omari was quite isolated when we were attacking.

I'd use Clarke for the home games and Axel away.

It’s no good passing the ball to Hutchinson when he’s got his back to goal and three derfedersvare closing him down. He never really stood a chance.
The balls played to Byrns enabled him to run hard against the defender, I just felt Axel’s passes were a bit slow last night.
He does look an accomplished defender with poise.
How was Axel last night? on 12:21 - Mar 6 with 1668 viewsVegtablue

Thought his play on the ball put us in danger a couple of times and their winger edged the battle between them. Superb against Brum, good against Plymouth, okay last night.
How was Axel last night? on 12:26 - Mar 6 with 1640 viewsNutkins_Return

Excellent first half. Sniffed everything out and dominated. Tired in 2nd half and up against their best player who was very skillful. Very good for an hour.

I think starting him with Clarke in the wings (bit like we had with Greg Leigh fresh legs) is a good option. If by some fortune we have a decent lead on someone Clarke could also give Davis some rest.
How was Axel last night? on 13:54 - Mar 6 with 1423 viewsBloomBlue

Didn't have a great game, but to be fair the entire team was slow especially in the first half.

Mehmeti also had the beating of him, plus when Axel did have the ball Mehmeti used his smaller frame perfectly to often prevent Alex making any progress down the wing
How was Axel last night? on 14:20 - Mar 6 with 1322 viewsSheffordBlue

How was Axel last night? on 10:59 - Mar 6 by blue_curacao

I thought he was good defensively but clearly not as comfortable on the ball as the rest of our defenders. Doesn't know what to do with the ball once he passes the halfway line

Although his assist against Brum shows it's in his locker.

Without knowing the game plan I think it can be difficult to judge. Was McKenna urging him to get forward or was he happy for him to sit more defensively as the plan was focussed elsewhere? We make our own deductions but often based on quite limited information i.e what we see on the pitch rather than the build up game plan and in game instructions from the manager.

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

How was Axel last night? on 14:23 - Mar 6 with 1315 viewsrickw

How was Axel last night? on 12:13 - Mar 6 by baxterbasics

I agree Davis really should have dealt with it better for the second goal. He more than made up for it thankfully.

I was impressed after the game Davis owned up to the mistake, knowing he made a mistake makes it less likely he'll do the same again. Burgess also made a mistake on that goal as he left his man when he assumed Davis would put the ball out

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

How was Axel last night? on 15:23 - Mar 6 with 1163 viewsNthQldITFC

How was Axel last night? on 14:23 - Mar 6 by rickw

I was impressed after the game Davis owned up to the mistake, knowing he made a mistake makes it less likely he'll do the same again. Burgess also made a mistake on that goal as he left his man when he assumed Davis would put the ball out

Davis always seems very honest in his reactions on the pitch and in interviews. He's not the only one but he really epitomises the whole ethos of the club, and it's a very positive and beneficial way to be. No noticeable ego, no bullsh!t excuses, and full trust of each other. Really noticeable the big hug he and Burgess had at the end and I'm sure they were talking about that goal and respecting each other.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

How was Axel last night? on 15:44 - Mar 6 with 1088 viewsbournemouthblue

He did okay but got done by Memheti for their first goal. The frustrating thing was the ball was going straight to Hladky without the deflection.

I think Hutch probably needed more support with overlaps etc but I get the impression he's instructed to just leave Hutch deal with the defender on his own, given his ability to skin defenders. Pring did a good job on him, I find the more physical full backs tend to stop Hutch at times.

We were worried about Brizzle's ability on the break so Axel remained fairly withdrawn all half to stop their counter.

Memheti is very inconsistent, for every night like that, he'll choose the wrong option more often than not which is why his stats are fairly underwhelming currently.
[Post edited 6 Mar 15:48]

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024