Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Southgate on borrowed time? 21:00 - Mar 23 with 6354 viewsbournemouthblue

we are not winning anything with this mentality, it's slow, ponderous and negative

I know Konsa was enforced but his next subs are Gomez (to left back), Dunk and Mainoo

That's not exactly rolling the dice is it?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Southgate on borrowed time? on 09:20 - Mar 24 with 1197 viewsitfcjoe

Southgate on borrowed time? on 09:18 - Mar 24 by bluejacko

And what have we WON apart from one comp? If we we are good enough to be in the top 5 you would have thought we could have actually achieved a lot more. How many tournaments have those other top 5 teams won in the time Southgate’s tenure?
[Post edited 24 Mar 9:22]

Oh OK, we are just going mega simplistic on this are we?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Southgate on borrowed time? on 09:26 - Mar 24 with 1185 viewsbluejacko

Southgate on borrowed time? on 09:12 - Mar 24 by Cheltenham_Blue

It's as though some people weren't alive during the Ron Greenwood, Graham Taylor or Steve McLaren years.

One nations cup since 1966! Now that is progress isn’t it? We do actually have the players now but until they are used correctly we will still come out second best.
Southgate on borrowed time? on 10:01 - Mar 24 with 1147 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Southgate on borrowed time? on 09:18 - Mar 24 by bluejacko

And what have we WON apart from one comp? If we we are good enough to be in the top 5 you would have thought we could have actually achieved a lot more. How many tournaments have those other top 5 teams won in the time Southgate’s tenure?
[Post edited 24 Mar 9:22]

Two. The other two of the top 5 have not won anything, and neither of those have made a final either unlike England

It’s almost like international tournaments only come around every 2 years and require a lot of luck and fine margins going your way to actually win

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Southgate on borrowed time? on 10:01 - Mar 24 with 1147 viewsOldFart71

May I start by saying it's easy to kick a man when he's down. Unfortunately over the years, 66 apart, we haven't had an England good enough to win either the European Championship or the World Cup. We become deluded that each generation is the golden generation. For whatever reason many young players such as the likes of our own loan player in Hutchinson come onto the scheme seemingly world beaters only to fail after a few years in the spotlight. Too much money, too much hype, I don't know ? As for the England set up the people that run it want a yes man and not someone who is bold and off the cuff. Someone who talks the talk. Having said that we have had the likes of Terry Venables who did extremely well, but still failed. More to do with the players failings than the manager.
Southgate on borrowed time? on 10:19 - Mar 24 with 1126 viewsRyorry

Southgate on borrowed time? on 21:32 - Mar 23 by bournemouthblue

I've been critical of Southgate for some time, I'm not convinced we will win anything under him

We need a more modern coach who can get the best out of this new crop of players!

McKenna taking over England right now would imho have the same effect on our national team as him taking over us from Cook - but thankfully the FA’s balls are as tiny pinheads, and there’s as much chance of them making that appointment as there is of me becoming the next astronaut to fly to the moon!

Bet they’re keeping an eye on his progress with a view to sometime in the future perhaps though. It’d shock none of us if he went on to become the 3rd England success to come from ITFC.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Southgate on borrowed time? on 10:42 - Mar 24 with 1098 viewsitfcjoe

Southgate on borrowed time? on 10:19 - Mar 24 by Ryorry

McKenna taking over England right now would imho have the same effect on our national team as him taking over us from Cook - but thankfully the FA’s balls are as tiny pinheads, and there’s as much chance of them making that appointment as there is of me becoming the next astronaut to fly to the moon!

Bet they’re keeping an eye on his progress with a view to sometime in the future perhaps though. It’d shock none of us if he went on to become the 3rd England success to come from ITFC.

The problem is Southgate gets the players once every couple of months for a few days, sometimes he doesn’t have his best players, sometimes he has to call up players who don’t really fit the system he wants because they are playing so well and then make it fit.

McKenna has the luxury of having a squad, having them every week and implementing patterns in there which are known by players like the back of their hand. When he wants a player he can pinpoint them to fit in with his systems.

The standards in club football are undoubtedly higher than international - they are very different jobs though

Southgate on borrowed time? on 10:45 - Mar 24 with 1086 viewsJ2BLUE

He's been decent but I think we could do with a change after the Euros, unless we win them.

It just feels a bit boring and stale. I still look back to the Italy game at Wembley and think they were there for the taking with 30 mins left.

Should be remembered fondly but for me, I would like to see a change.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Southgate on borrowed time? on 10:59 - Mar 24 with 1063 viewschicoazul

Criticism of Southgate goes way beyond normality. He has no other RB on the bench so couldn’t replace like for like. He’s given us the second most successful English team ever. He’s going to leave the next manager with some brilliant players who he has nurtured and brought on. It’s immensely hard to win a tournament in the face of Ronaldo Messi and Mbappe, and penalties.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Login to get fewer ads

Southgate on borrowed time? on 11:09 - Mar 24 with 1041 viewsjayessess

Don't think there's much worth in worrying about poor performances in friendlies, especially when they're three quarters of the way through a long season that will end with a long international tournament. There's zero chance that Southgate's on borrowed time or significantly in danger of losing his job before the Euros.

Southgate's tournament record is very good. It's better than any predecessors other than Ramsey. Nature of international football is that it inevitably comes down to tight knockout games that can go either way, you're not going to hire a manager who magically makes that not the case.

International managers are almost always B-listers anyway (Roberto Martinez was a club manager of no significant repute, he's now had a go at not one, but two, top ten international teams). Would be surprised if sacking him resulted in a really transformative appointment, particularly when you're just embedding the new person in the same FA. The role of England manager is really to be a figurehead for a system these days.

Style of play's hardly electrifying but there's an argument that's just the nature of international teams and the kind of risk-averse football that tends to win you tournaments. Don't think the finalists in the last three tournaments England have contested have been especially expansive teams.

In terms of personnel selection. Think with international teams you often end up fussing about the supporting cast but whether England win Euro 2024 will mainly be about getting the best out of their truly elite players (Bellingham, Kane, Rice, Stones, Saka, maybe Foden), more than who fills the other slots. My main criticism of Southgate is that he's often not pro-active enough in finding solutions to actual problems (of which England really have three - LB, CB, CM). There's an opportunity cost for persisting with players whose club form and participation is inconsistent, it prevents you from seeking out new ways of organising things that might suit other players who could grow into their roles. But, honestly, I don't see that deciding 15 months ago that you move from Henderson/Phillips to Gallagher/Ward-Prowse is a decision that's fundamental to your chances.
[Post edited 24 Mar 11:23]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Southgate on borrowed time? on 11:22 - Mar 24 with 1008 viewschicoazul

Southgate on borrowed time? on 11:09 - Mar 24 by jayessess

Don't think there's much worth in worrying about poor performances in friendlies, especially when they're three quarters of the way through a long season that will end with a long international tournament. There's zero chance that Southgate's on borrowed time or significantly in danger of losing his job before the Euros.

Southgate's tournament record is very good. It's better than any predecessors other than Ramsey. Nature of international football is that it inevitably comes down to tight knockout games that can go either way, you're not going to hire a manager who magically makes that not the case.

International managers are almost always B-listers anyway (Roberto Martinez was a club manager of no significant repute, he's now had a go at not one, but two, top ten international teams). Would be surprised if sacking him resulted in a really transformative appointment, particularly when you're just embedding the new person in the same FA. The role of England manager is really to be a figurehead for a system these days.

Style of play's hardly electrifying but there's an argument that's just the nature of international teams and the kind of risk-averse football that tends to win you tournaments. Don't think the finalists in the last three tournaments England have contested have been especially expansive teams.

In terms of personnel selection. Think with international teams you often end up fussing about the supporting cast but whether England win Euro 2024 will mainly be about getting the best out of their truly elite players (Bellingham, Kane, Rice, Stones, Saka, maybe Foden), more than who fills the other slots. My main criticism of Southgate is that he's often not pro-active enough in finding solutions to actual problems (of which England really have three - LB, CB, CM). There's an opportunity cost for persisting with players whose club form and participation is inconsistent, it prevents you from seeking out new ways of organising things that might suit other players who could grow into their roles. But, honestly, I don't see that deciding 15 months ago that you move from Henderson/Phillips to Gallagher/Ward-Prowse is a decision that's fundamental to your chances.
[Post edited 24 Mar 11:23]

Only two of those players are “truly elite”. Half our team is definitely not truly elite. Kane and Bellingham would probably get in any team in the world.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Southgate on borrowed time? on 11:32 - Mar 24 with 979 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Southgate on borrowed time? on 09:26 - Mar 24 by bluejacko

One nations cup since 1966! Now that is progress isn’t it? We do actually have the players now but until they are used correctly we will still come out second best.

Getting to Semi Finals and a Final in successive tournaments is remarkable progress from where we have been since 1974.

Don Revie - Never Qualified
Ron Greenwood - 1x Group Stage, 1x 2nd round, 1x failed to qualify
Bobby Robson - 1x failed to qualify, 1x Quarter final, 1x Group stage, 1x semi-final
Graham Taylor - 1x group stage, 1x failed to qualify
Terry Venables - 1x Semi Final
Glenn Hoddle - 1x 2nd Round
Kevin Keegan - 1x Group stage
Sven Goran-Eriksson - 3x quarter finals
Steve McClaren - Never qualified
Fabio Capello - 1x 2nd round
Roy Hodgson - 1x quarter final, 1x group stage, 1x 2nd round

Awful all round, bar a couple of moments, Sir Bobby, Terry Venables

Then, finally,

Gareth Southgate - 1x Semi final, 1x Final, 1x Quarter Final

Looks like 'progress' to me.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Southgate on borrowed time? on 11:37 - Mar 24 with 977 viewsjayessess

Southgate on borrowed time? on 11:22 - Mar 24 by chicoazul

Only two of those players are “truly elite”. Half our team is definitely not truly elite. Kane and Bellingham would probably get in any team in the world.

Depends where you want to put the bar really. If John Stones, easily one of the best players in Man City's run to win the Champions League, isn't a truly elite centre back, who is?

(And if the bar is higher than that, are there many international teams with more than 2 players above it?)

Southgate on borrowed time? on 11:44 - Mar 24 with 947 viewsRyorry

Southgate on borrowed time? on 10:42 - Mar 24 by itfcjoe

The problem is Southgate gets the players once every couple of months for a few days, sometimes he doesn’t have his best players, sometimes he has to call up players who don’t really fit the system he wants because they are playing so well and then make it fit.

McKenna has the luxury of having a squad, having them every week and implementing patterns in there which are known by players like the back of their hand. When he wants a player he can pinpoint them to fit in with his systems.

The standards in club football are undoubtedly higher than international - they are very different jobs though

Fair points 👍

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Southgate on borrowed time? on 12:33 - Mar 24 with 894 viewsibbleobble

Southgate on borrowed time? on 11:22 - Mar 24 by chicoazul

So would Saka, Foden and Rice. That’s half a team.
Southgate on borrowed time? on 12:33 - Mar 24 with 895 viewschicoazul

Southgate on borrowed time? on 11:37 - Mar 24 by jayessess

Depends where you want to put the bar really. If John Stones, easily one of the best players in Man City's run to win the Champions League, isn't a truly elite centre back, who is?

(And if the bar is higher than that, are there many international teams with more than 2 players above it?)

The bar is picking a world or even European 11, the first choice players in those positions. I’m not even sure if Stones is the best CB at City. He’s good though.

Southgate on borrowed time? on 12:37 - Mar 24 with 887 viewschicoazul

Southgate on borrowed time? on 12:33 - Mar 24 by ibbleobble

The English disease of the superiority complex. Saka is NOT better than Mbappe Vinicius Coman or Salah.

Southgate on borrowed time? on 12:43 - Mar 24 with 867 viewsTrequartista

It was a friendly. The goal was to avoid injury at a crucial point in the league season.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Southgate on borrowed time? on 13:42 - Mar 24 with 807 viewsibbleobble

Southgate on borrowed time? on 12:33 - Mar 24 by ibbleobble

Wasn’t the debate whether they are “elite” not the best of the “elite”?
Southgate on borrowed time? on 14:37 - Mar 24 with 762 viewsjayessess

Southgate on borrowed time? on 12:33 - Mar 24 by chicoazul

The bar is picking a world or even European 11, the first choice players in those positions. I’m not even sure if Stones is the best CB at City. He’s good though.

Ok, but if the bar is best player in the World (or Europe) in their position, having 2 is pretty brilliant, isn't?

Even if we're discounting Rice and Stones (who are probably decent candidates for best player in Europe for their position), is there an international team with obvious claim to have 3 or more?

Think you're right that Saka's not up there with Mbappe, Vini Jr or Salah, although he's absolutely ahead of Kingsley Coman, who despite having 5 years and 23 more caps on Saka, trails him quite substantially on goals and assists already.
[Post edited 24 Mar 14:42]

Southgate on borrowed time? on 15:13 - Mar 24 with 734 viewsVic

Southgate on borrowed time? on 08:11 - Mar 24 by itfcjoe

How much more dice rolling do you want? It’s a friendly without your talismanic striker and your best other attacker which he’s got to use to try and answer some questions about who fills the squad for the Euros. The wrong time of season for a game as clubs pulling players out left right and centre.

3rd in the world v 4th in the world. Southgate has turned England into one of the consistent best sides in the world over the last 5 years from the relative shambles it had been in the decade before it

Thank you Joe - the voice of reason and common sense as always.

He might not be flamboyant in play or persona, but He’s been the most successful manager since SAR. Should he have done better? Maybe, but he’s done better that El Tel, Hoddle, SBR and Sven - all of whom had ‘a golden generation’ of players.

But it’s odd though, because For all that I still wouldn’t him as Town manager! But I suspect it’s the difference between tournament football and club football.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Southgate on borrowed time? on 15:39 - Mar 24 with 716 viewsJ2BLUE

Southgate on borrowed time? on 12:43 - Mar 24 by Trequartista

It was a friendly. The goal was to avoid injury at a crucial point in the league season.

That makes zero sense. Why bother playing if that is the case?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Southgate on borrowed time? on 18:33 - Mar 24 with 646 viewssouthnorfolkblue

In the immediate short term, no he’s not on borrowed time. It would be frankly nuts to get rid of him before the summer.

Whether he’s still here after the Euros will depend on how we perform at the tournament. A strong showing and I reckon he’s here until the next WC. I think it’s too simplistic to say that he has to win them, because luck always plays a part - you can’t legislate for Kane missing a penalty in the quarterfinals against France for example.

Poll: Our final position

Southgate on borrowed time? on 19:25 - Mar 24 with 612 viewsMK1

Southgate on borrowed time? on 21:16 - Mar 23 by textbackup

The day Toney plays is the day I stop watching England. Absolute weapon of a bloke

Don't watch Tuesday then, reckon he will start.
Southgate on borrowed time? on 08:31 - Mar 25 with 513 viewsonly_one_sir_bobby

Southgate on borrowed time? on 09:02 - Mar 24 by itfcjoe

A World Cup semi, a European Championship final and Nations League title whilst being ranked in the top 5 for as long as we ever have been.

More knockout wins than any other manager, by far, more knockout wins on his own than basically all managers since Sir Alf combined so it has worked in the ‘big games’

This is the most minor of points in the grand scheme of things, but when did we win the Nations League? We won a penalty shootout to finish 3rd, but don't think we've actually won it, have we? Thought we got relegated from the top group in fact?
Southgate on borrowed time? on 08:44 - Mar 25 with 503 viewsitfcjoe

Southgate on borrowed time? on 08:31 - Mar 25 by only_one_sir_bobby

This is the most minor of points in the grand scheme of things, but when did we win the Nations League? We won a penalty shootout to finish 3rd, but don't think we've actually won it, have we? Thought we got relegated from the top group in fact?

My mistake, you are right - I thought we'd won it that time which shows how little it's valued at!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024