Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Town v Huddersfield. 20:26 - Apr 13 with 2761 viewsFrimleyBlue

Serious question as I've never seen it happen before.

What if going into that game both sides need just a draw to achieve promotion/stay up...

Is there a minimal number of erm attacking attempts you have to make for the game not to be seen as a fix. As surely neither side would want to risk and attack incase in lead to a goal at the other end...

I mean how does the league ensure its a fair game. Or can both sides literally just pass the ball to each other for 90 minutes.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Town v Huddersfield. on 20:30 - Apr 13 with 2689 viewsCopfordBlue

Have a look at Germany v Austria at the 1982 World Cup to see how its done.

Poll: Most enjoyable calendar year as an Ipswich supporter

Town v Huddersfield. on 20:34 - Apr 13 with 2643 viewstextbackup

Huddersfield did this for the final 10 mins of a game a few seasons back.
Can’t think who it was against tho (defo another northern team, as both were chanting YORKSHIRE)

However, for 90mins, it just wouldn’t happen. Players and managers have professional pride to consider.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Town v Huddersfield. on 20:35 - Apr 13 with 2642 viewsgainsboroughblue

Shades of this?

Edit. Copford must have posted while I was looking for the clip!
[Post edited 13 Apr 20:36]

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Town v Huddersfield. on 20:36 - Apr 13 with 2622 viewspointofblue

Being naturally pessimistic, I'm starting to think it will end up in a similar way to 1995/96 season where both sides need a win to achieve their aims, and it ends up as a draw.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Town v Huddersfield. on 20:41 - Apr 13 with 2570 viewsgainsboroughblue

Town v Huddersfield. on 20:34 - Apr 13 by textbackup

Huddersfield did this for the final 10 mins of a game a few seasons back.
Can’t think who it was against tho (defo another northern team, as both were chanting YORKSHIRE)

However, for 90mins, it just wouldn’t happen. Players and managers have professional pride to consider.

That was against Barnsley. It was 2-2 and Huddersfield were safe.

Barnsley were one point ahead of Peterborough who were losing at Palace but afterwards they had to sweat as there was lots of injury time at Selhurst. A Posh equaliser would've sent Barnsley down on GD.

Town v Huddersfield. on 20:41 - Apr 13 with 2569 viewsCopfordBlue

Town v Huddersfield. on 20:35 - Apr 13 by gainsboroughblue

Shades of this?

Edit. Copford must have posted while I was looking for the clip!
[Post edited 13 Apr 20:36]

I’d rather we missed out than be involved in something like that. I’m pretty sure it resulted in a rule change that meant all final group games kick off at the same time now.

Poll: Most enjoyable calendar year as an Ipswich supporter

Town v Huddersfield. on 20:45 - Apr 13 with 2517 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

We will need to win.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Town v Huddersfield. on 20:49 - Apr 13 with 2489 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

I appreciate that you don't get to games but is ths a serious question?

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Login to get fewer ads

Town v Huddersfield. on 21:31 - Apr 13 with 2278 viewssouthnorfolkblue

I don’t think it will come to that. More likely to be the opposite ie both sides needing to win, but that said if there’s no evidence of match fixing, what can anyone do if the game peters out into a 0-0 bore fest? Bottom line is that if over the previous 45 games both sides have done enough that they only need 1 point, the other teams only have themselves to blame

Poll: Our final position

Town v Huddersfield. on 22:26 - Apr 13 with 2078 viewsyorkshireblue

Years ago I went with my now wife to watch Wednesday v Coventry on the last day of the season. Both teams needed a point to ensure survival. Shockingly ended in a 0-0.

The players might as well say in a circle playing cards and smoking a pipe for all the intent either team had that day.
Town v Huddersfield. on 22:45 - Apr 13 with 1959 viewsZx1988

See Coventry v Morecambe a few seasons back.

A draw guaranteed the playoffs for Coventry, and L2 survival for Morecambe. They played out a 0-0 bore draw which ended up relegating Barnet instead.

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Town v Huddersfield. on 23:13 - Apr 13 with 1779 viewsAlberto_the_frog

Town v Huddersfield. on 20:36 - Apr 13 by pointofblue

Being naturally pessimistic, I'm starting to think it will end up in a similar way to 1995/96 season where both sides need a win to achieve their aims, and it ends up as a draw.

Bloody Millwall. I hope not.
Town v Huddersfield. on 23:25 - Apr 13 with 1731 viewsgainsboroughblue

Town v Huddersfield. on 20:36 - Apr 13 by pointofblue

I suspect if that were the case, Huddersfield would do more than put 10 men behind the ball unlike what Millwall bizarrely did that afternoon in 1996.

Town v Huddersfield. on 23:38 - Apr 13 with 1697 viewsmutters

This is what you are after 😂

Poll: At what price would you sell our 32 year old Leading Scorer Murphy this summer?

Town v Huddersfield. on 23:52 - Apr 13 with 1660 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Town v Huddersfield. on 23:13 - Apr 13 by Alberto_the_frog

Bloody Millwall. I hope not.

You don't seem to have read the script. Millwall are our friends and have been since Tuesday.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Town v Huddersfield. on 00:22 - Apr 14 with 1597 viewsStewart27

Town v Huddersfield. on 20:41 - Apr 13 by CopfordBlue

I’d rather we missed out than be involved in something like that. I’m pretty sure it resulted in a rule change that meant all final group games kick off at the same time now.

Sod that.

I’d happily enter into a gentleman’s agreement and have the players sit down whilst Ed Sheeran gets his guitar out on the half way line if it meant promotion.
Town v Huddersfield. on 06:29 - Apr 14 with 1397 viewsEuropablue

Neither team would commit extra men forward, but equally neither team would refuse a tap in. It could well end up in a 0-0 draw, but there would probably have to be actual match fixing before the match. There just isn't any incentive. A more interesting scenario would be if we played Middlesbrough on the last day of the season and they needed a point to edge Norwich out of the playoffs. There would be the Norwich angle and the KM and Carrick friendship angle. Ultimately though, the negative of going down in history as a fixed match would make it not worth it even if it were impossible to prove.
Town v Huddersfield. on 06:32 - Apr 14 with 1390 viewsEuropablue

Town v Huddersfield. on 00:22 - Apr 14 by Stewart27

Sod that.

I’d happily enter into a gentleman’s agreement and have the players sit down whilst Ed Sheeran gets his guitar out on the half way line if it meant promotion.

If we don't get promoted the right way, I'd prefer to stay in the Championship. That kind of behaviour would be a stain on our club forever.
Town v Huddersfield. on 07:20 - Apr 14 with 1292 viewsMK1

Best just to batter them 4-0.
Town v Huddersfield. on 08:13 - Apr 14 with 1162 viewsClareBlue

Town v Huddersfield. on 06:32 - Apr 14 by Europablue

If we don't get promoted the right way, I'd prefer to stay in the Championship. That kind of behaviour would be a stain on our club forever.

We've been there before in 1962 and we won that game against Sheffield Wednesday but we still come up named if you Google fixed matches in English football.
Town v Huddersfield. on 08:15 - Apr 14 with 1148 viewsNthsuffolkblue

No. If both sides decided to settle for a draw from the start it would not be a fix.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Town v Huddersfield. on 08:23 - Apr 14 with 1119 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Town v Huddersfield. on 22:26 - Apr 13 by yorkshireblue

Years ago I went with my now wife to watch Wednesday v Coventry on the last day of the season. Both teams needed a point to ensure survival. Shockingly ended in a 0-0.

The players might as well say in a circle playing cards and smoking a pipe for all the intent either team had that day.

But that is perfectly understandable and a result of everything that the two teams had achieved over the season.

See also the approach of a team that only needs a point to avoid relegation (sure in that scenario, they would show more attacking intent) but compare that to one needing a win. There are also plenty of situations where one team has no real interest in getting a result but the opposition do. Often the lack of pressure and pressure do strange things there. However, I can also recall seeing us on the last day of the season not turn up at Notts County when they made the Division 2 play offs. Their fans were so nervous the only noise was from the few tens of away fans while the home side won 3-0.

Match fixing would be where the opposing managers discussed and agreed an outcome before the start.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Town v Huddersfield. on 12:45 - Apr 14 with 850 viewswithyblue

Its likely to go down to the last day for both sides so I think we really need to hope that Huddersfield need to get a win to secure survival and not a draw. If they come here just needing a point, whilst we need a win, and they stick 11 men behind the ball it could be a very difficult 90 minutes for us. We've seen too many games like that over the last two years, and saw the same against Watford midweek.

Ahhh I'm terrified already!
Town v Huddersfield. on 13:47 - Apr 14 with 768 viewsblueislander

Town v Huddersfield. on 12:45 - Apr 14 by withyblue

Its likely to go down to the last day for both sides so I think we really need to hope that Huddersfield need to get a win to secure survival and not a draw. If they come here just needing a point, whilst we need a win, and they stick 11 men behind the ball it could be a very difficult 90 minutes for us. We've seen too many games like that over the last two years, and saw the same against Watford midweek.

Ahhh I'm terrified already!

That’s a bit unfair on Watford. They controlled the ball for a fair amount of the match.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024