Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Such a strange feeling 07:52 - Apr 14 with 3672 viewsChrisd

We sit top of the Championship with 3 games to go and any Town fan would’ve taken that back in August, but I really do feel we’ve let a huge opportunity slip through our fingers with those two home games. What concerns me is we’ve got two extremely tough away games up next, against teams with something to play for. Let’s be honest, we have looked far from convincing in recent away games too and goals are proving difficult to come by currently. Come the Huddersfield game, it might count for nothing.

Such a strange situation.
[Post edited 14 Apr 7:58]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Such a strange feeling on 07:57 - Apr 14 with 2654 viewstractorboy1978

A lot of football to be played between now and when we face Hull.

Leeds play twice.
Leicester play twice.
Hull play twice.
Coventry play once (against Hull).

The landscape could look very different in a positive or negative way by 27th April.
Such a strange feeling on 08:07 - Apr 14 with 2586 viewsHelp

It's okay Burns is coming back, and Hirst? in the next two weeks.
Such a strange feeling on 08:12 - Apr 14 with 2562 viewsfranz_tyson

Can't lie, but I feel exactly the same. Just feel we've missed a golden opportunity to put a little bit of distance between us and them. Also, the fact that our L rivals dropped points before we kicked off in our last two home games makes it feel worse as I've mentally added 3 points to our table position ... only to be taken away.
Just feels a bit flat. We all know we would bite a hand off for this position before the season started, but it's all about momentum and it feels like we're fizzling out a bit.
Wrong and entitled, I know, but I was very much thinking 6 or 4 points from those 2 home games.
Such a strange feeling on 08:14 - Apr 14 with 2543 viewsNthQldITFC

We looked so much more like ourselves yesterday, particularly in the first half. I feel we've got over our illnesses, or got some energy back or something, and with an additional two weeks off where Hull and Cov have to play some tough games, and with the possibility of Burns back I'm feeling pretty damned good about going into our last three.

And that's the only relevant thing. We can talk about letting huge opportunity slip, but then so can Leeds and so can Leicester, so it makes not a jot of difference. All that matters is what state you're in for the last three, and I'm thinking we're going to be in a better state than those other two clubs, physically and mentally all told.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Such a strange feeling on 08:20 - Apr 14 with 2477 viewsChurchman

It’s very strange. There’s no doubt about it, this week was an opportunity and we were unable to take it. Where I disagree is that we didn’t ’let a huge opportunity slip through our fingers’. Everyone gave their all, but we in all three games were just not good enough through. Injury, form, tiredness, pressure, good opposition performances.

The opportunity is still there. We will go to good grounds/pitches with our usual magnificent away support. Three wins and the prize is ours. We can do it.

It’s a bit of a concern that the chasing teams all play at least twice before we meet Hull, but only if they win all those games. At the very least, Southampton (currently the best top four team, as Mills pointed out) and Leicester will bite a lump out of each other.

All in all, disappointment, disbelief at where we are in the table, optimism, enormous pride in being an ITFC supporter covers how I feel at the moment.
Such a strange feeling on 08:26 - Apr 14 with 2432 viewspeterleeblue

Such a strange feeling on 08:14 - Apr 14 by NthQldITFC

We looked so much more like ourselves yesterday, particularly in the first half. I feel we've got over our illnesses, or got some energy back or something, and with an additional two weeks off where Hull and Cov have to play some tough games, and with the possibility of Burns back I'm feeling pretty damned good about going into our last three.

And that's the only relevant thing. We can talk about letting huge opportunity slip, but then so can Leeds and so can Leicester, so it makes not a jot of difference. All that matters is what state you're in for the last three, and I'm thinking we're going to be in a better state than those other two clubs, physically and mentally all told.

I'm with you.

Felt flat after Watford.

Feel reasonably positive now.

Yesterday was much better performance wise and we now have a 2 point advantage.

By time we play again Hull and Coventry may well be out of play off contention and Huddersfiled could be virtually down by time we get to them.
Of course guarantees nothing as no such thing as on the beach.

Southampton may take points at Leeds and Leicester.

It really is all to play for.
Such a strange feeling on 08:27 - Apr 14 with 2431 viewstextbackup

The fact barely anyone was singing ‘we are top of the league’ at the end of the game said it all really.
After the absolute disappointment (and let’s be honest, sht show) vs norwich we were in a real need of 4/6 points from these two home games, but unfortunately that wasn’t to be, not for want of trying though I will say.

Our ‘impact off the bench players’ started the game yesterday, meaning what we had to come off the bench had no impact at all. Never felt come the end of the game that we would win that yesterday. With a key player being completely off his game didn’t help either.

So much is being made of this 2 weeks off, let’s just hope the players that are off form and apparently tired, get the rest they need

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Such a strange feeling on 08:29 - Apr 14 with 2406 viewsEastTownBlue

Agree that even an additional couple of points this week would given us a more comfortable feeling.

Not saying that it will make the task any easier but there is no guarantee Coventry and Hull will have anything to play for in a couple of weeks time.
Login to get fewer ads

Such a strange feeling on 08:30 - Apr 14 with 2399 viewsNthsuffolkblue

If you honestly think we've "let a huge opportunity slip through our fingers" how do you think Leeds, Leicester and even Southampton feel.

Against Watford, we did all but get the win in the first half. Yesterday we played the form side in the league and came back from a goal down.

Of course 2 wins or even a win and a draw would have been better. However, they were far from bad results especially in the context of the Leeds and Leicester ones.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Such a strange feeling on 08:30 - Apr 14 with 2357 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Such a strange feeling on 07:57 - Apr 14 by tractorboy1978

A lot of football to be played between now and when we face Hull.

Leeds play twice.
Leicester play twice.
Hull play twice.
Coventry play once (against Hull).

The landscape could look very different in a positive or negative way by 27th April.

It might do but the OP is spot on about opportunity slipping through our fingers

Had we won yesterday we would have a 4 point gap to Leeds, and with them having 2 tricky away games before we next play. Quite possible therefore that we would go into that 3 game run knowing we need just one win to finish above them

Saints could theoretically catch us still, but you’d think them winning 5 of 5 is unlikely, so one win would probably do it against them too

Instead, we’ll now almost certainly be behind, just a question of how far

I’d actually go one step further than they have too, had you told me on Friday we’d have gained points on both Leicester and Leeds over the weekend I’d have been over the moon, but it still feels like a huge missed opportunity

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Such a strange feeling on 08:40 - Apr 14 with 2330 viewsChrisd

Such a strange feeling on 08:30 - Apr 14 by Nthsuffolkblue

If you honestly think we've "let a huge opportunity slip through our fingers" how do you think Leeds, Leicester and even Southampton feel.

Against Watford, we did all but get the win in the first half. Yesterday we played the form side in the league and came back from a goal down.

Of course 2 wins or even a win and a draw would have been better. However, they were far from bad results especially in the context of the Leeds and Leicester ones.

Of course it was a huge opportunity, you’re playing at home after your rivals have both slipped up and we failed to capitalise. The strange thing is I would’ve gladly taken two draws if we were playing Watford or Middlesbrough away.I find it funny how they are comparing the top of the EPL with the Championship title run, they couldn’t be more poles apart - Man City, Liverpool and Arsenal keep winning, whilst Leicester City, Leeds and ourselves appear unable to win games and keep fluffing their lines.

Such a strange feeling on 08:42 - Apr 14 with 2265 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Such a strange feeling on 08:40 - Apr 14 by Chrisd

Of course it was a huge opportunity, you’re playing at home after your rivals have both slipped up and we failed to capitalise. The strange thing is I would’ve gladly taken two draws if we were playing Watford or Middlesbrough away.I find it funny how they are comparing the top of the EPL with the Championship title run, they couldn’t be more poles apart - Man City, Liverpool and Arsenal keep winning, whilst Leicester City, Leeds and ourselves appear unable to win games and keep fluffing their lines.

Your premiss appears to be that it should be easy for us to beat Watford and Middlesbrough at home. I would disagree, but there we are.

Such a strange feeling on 08:44 - Apr 14 with 2239 viewstextbackup

Such a strange feeling on 08:30 - Apr 14 by Nthsuffolkblue

It really doesn’t matter how other clubs feel… we aren’t fussed about them, and they won’t care what we feel.

We might go on to finish in the top 2 and none of this matters, but if we don’t, these two home games will be looked upon as an opportunity that slipped through our fingers.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Such a strange feeling on 08:45 - Apr 14 with 2228 viewstractorboy1978

Such a strange feeling on 08:30 - Apr 14 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

It might do but the OP is spot on about opportunity slipping through our fingers

Had we won yesterday we would have a 4 point gap to Leeds, and with them having 2 tricky away games before we next play. Quite possible therefore that we would go into that 3 game run knowing we need just one win to finish above them

Saints could theoretically catch us still, but you’d think them winning 5 of 5 is unlikely, so one win would probably do it against them too

Instead, we’ll now almost certainly be behind, just a question of how far

I’d actually go one step further than they have too, had you told me on Friday we’d have gained points on both Leicester and Leeds over the weekend I’d have been over the moon, but it still feels like a huge missed opportunity

Yeah, it was definitely a missed opportunity and I hope we don't rue it.
Such a strange feeling on 08:46 - Apr 14 with 2220 viewsChrisd

Such a strange feeling on 08:42 - Apr 14 by Nthsuffolkblue

Your premiss appears to be that it should be easy for us to beat Watford and Middlesbrough at home. I would disagree, but there we are.

No games are easy in the Championship, but if you are at home and pushing for the title you should be getting a better return than 2pts from two home games with two extremely tricky away fixtures coming up.

So, be honest you’d have taken two points before we played Watford and Boro? We both know the answer to that.
[Post edited 14 Apr 8:47]

Such a strange feeling on 08:50 - Apr 14 with 2166 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Such a strange feeling on 08:46 - Apr 14 by Chrisd

No games are easy in the Championship, but if you are at home and pushing for the title you should be getting a better return than 2pts from two home games with two extremely tricky away fixtures coming up.

So, be honest you’d have taken two points before we played Watford and Boro? We both know the answer to that.
[Post edited 14 Apr 8:47]

I would have taken gaining 2 more points than Leicester and 1 more than Leeds.

I would have taken matching Leeds' return and still will from our last 3.

With the way the Watford match finished I was OK with a point from it as we could easily have lost it at the end. I didn't see any of yesterday's match as I was at a wedding but I was nervous especially when I saw we were 0-1 down. A point is OK. Of course I would have preferred 6 points. I would prefer us to have already won the league on 129 points but there have been 17 matches across the season where we have thrown that opportunity away!

Such a strange feeling on 08:55 - Apr 14 with 2095 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

I don’t think that’s their premise at all, just that when the aspiration is promotion the bar is that much higher, and therefore not unreasonable to hope for more than 2 points from home fixtures against teams placed 9th and 15th in the table

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Such a strange feeling on 08:56 - Apr 14 with 2117 viewsChrisd

Such a strange feeling on 08:50 - Apr 14 by Nthsuffolkblue

I would have taken gaining 2 more points than Leicester and 1 more than Leeds.

I would have taken matching Leeds' return and still will from our last 3.

With the way the Watford match finished I was OK with a point from it as we could easily have lost it at the end. I didn't see any of yesterday's match as I was at a wedding but I was nervous especially when I saw we were 0-1 down. A point is OK. Of course I would have preferred 6 points. I would prefer us to have already won the league on 129 points but there have been 17 matches across the season where we have thrown that opportunity away!

We had a golden opportunity with these two home games and what has made it worse is the way Leeds and Leicester have faltered and we’ve not been able to capitalise and make a huge psychological dent. These two games provided that ideal platform, I just hope we don’t look back on those two draws and regret it.
[Post edited 14 Apr 8:57]

Such a strange feeling on 09:04 - Apr 14 with 2057 viewsfranz_tyson

Then why are we bothering with this promotion lark? We should have celebrated long ago that we achieved ending up in the top half of this league. Yes, I agree that it isn't a given that we beat Watford and Boro at home, but we're fighting for automatic promotion.... so the bar has been lifted. If we think its OK to draw at home to Watford and Boro, then absolutely fine, but we'd also have to have a reset about what we think is a reasonable finish position in the league....12th... 14th? We can't expect to draw our way to promotion and we know every game isn't easy... but we have to win if we want automatic promotion. And we've beaten plenty of teams at PR and so these two games were looked at as real potential for wins.
However, in isolation, yesterday's game was an improvement on the previous two.
Such a strange feeling on 09:05 - Apr 14 with 2042 viewsStewart27

Coventry have nothing to play for in the league.
Such a strange feeling on 09:11 - Apr 14 with 1996 viewsfranz_tyson

Such a strange feeling on 09:05 - Apr 14 by Stewart27

Coventry have nothing to play for in the league.

Neither have Boro or Watford.
Such a strange feeling on 09:13 - Apr 14 with 1981 viewsbadadski

Leeds and Leicester are saying the same thing and as they have found out, just by being top, does not guarantee teams will roll over. Quite the opposite it seems, teams are performing better and more strategic in the press and 11 behind the ball, especially now where there is no pressure on them to get a result. Watford we’re actually man marking Morsey through out most of the game I noticed. Also no pressure on them and all the pressure on us as it means so much more and it’s got to be getting to players, they are only human and the first time in their lives having a chance to go to the greatest league in world is any wonder we are seeing lots of snatched chances, skied chances.
Proud of the team - regardless of what happens as even if it didn’t happen this year, then know next year would be the year any way.
Such a strange feeling on 09:14 - Apr 14 with 1973 viewsRyorry

Such a strange feeling on 08:20 - Apr 14 by Churchman

It’s very strange. There’s no doubt about it, this week was an opportunity and we were unable to take it. Where I disagree is that we didn’t ’let a huge opportunity slip through our fingers’. Everyone gave their all, but we in all three games were just not good enough through. Injury, form, tiredness, pressure, good opposition performances.

The opportunity is still there. We will go to good grounds/pitches with our usual magnificent away support. Three wins and the prize is ours. We can do it.

It’s a bit of a concern that the chasing teams all play at least twice before we meet Hull, but only if they win all those games. At the very least, Southampton (currently the best top four team, as Mills pointed out) and Leicester will bite a lump out of each other.

All in all, disappointment, disbelief at where we are in the table, optimism, enormous pride in being an ITFC supporter covers how I feel at the moment.

You summarized it really well I think.

Players are human beings, not machines. I get the impression that some people are somehow unable/unwilling to fully grasp this, and can't take in that players are carrying knocks, still suffering the effects of illness, are fatigued etc. Not to mention that we were missing four key players yesterday (if including Williams).

It's not as if they're not trying nor as desperate as us fans to go up!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Such a strange feeling on 09:30 - Apr 14 with 1891 viewsfranz_tyson

Such a strange feeling on 09:14 - Apr 14 by Ryorry

You summarized it really well I think.

Players are human beings, not machines. I get the impression that some people are somehow unable/unwilling to fully grasp this, and can't take in that players are carrying knocks, still suffering the effects of illness, are fatigued etc. Not to mention that we were missing four key players yesterday (if including Williams).

It's not as if they're not trying nor as desperate as us fans to go up!

I think some are just unwilling to hide their disappointment. We're humans and not machines, too. I don't want to disappear down a rabbit-hole where I'm pretending I'm not disappointed.
Such a strange feeling on 09:37 - Apr 14 with 1847 viewsE_I_E_I_E_I_O

But we haven’t. We are in a better position than before the Norwich game. Had we got 7 points from the last 3 games and the rivals got 9 sounds like you would be happier. Odd. Look at it as getting a point each home game as a positive. We have never been more favourites to go up than right now and yet people are choosing to act as they do. Leeds have hard away games and on rotten form so what makes you think they’ll win both? Furthermore when we play Hull and Coventry it could be all over for them. It’s amazing how most people are negative however sadly that’s a reflection on today’s society I’d say with the average person bizarrely wanting to have a negative outlook on life as opposed to a positive one.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024