Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link 23:56 - May 14 with 20789 viewsIllinoisblue

He wouldn’t, would he?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/article/2024/may/14/manchester-united-ponde

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 09:48 - May 15 with 873 viewswkj

People often state KM isn't ready for Man United, but lets face it - no one has been ready for Man United since Ferguson left the club. I think KM has as good a chance as any of landing the spot as a new majority shareholder could roll the dice in a similar way as we did when hiring an unproved manager.

That said, I don't think it would be wise for Man United to do it this season. There is a toxic culture at the club and the chairman needs someone to come in for a season and identify the assets and bad eggs to the majority shareholder. Have a clear out, start the rebuild, then hire McKenna or someone who is a good coach and people person.

Who would be the ideal 1 year transitional manager? Ancelotti in my opinion. He's probably the perfect demolition man for that team but would likely not be the coach they need to rebuild the legacy of the club.
[Post edited 15 May 9:49]

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

I think we may have to accept that…. on 09:48 - May 15 with 871 viewsnodge_blue

I think we may have to accept that…. on 09:45 - May 15 by Bloots

….his time with us is done.

He is literally the hottest property in management at the moment.

I expect that every PL club other than the top 6 or 7 would have him at (or towards) the top of their list and assuming they are a stable PL club I’d be very surprised if he didn’t accept any offer that came his way.

I doubt he’d get the Utd gig, but he’s obviously fiercely ambitious and he’d be mad to turn down a realistic offer.
[Post edited 15 May 9:46]

Good job Bobby Robson didn't think like that!

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Why wouldn't he do it? on 09:49 - May 15 with 847 viewsRyorry

Why wouldn't he do it? on 08:36 - May 15 by Dyland

Like it or not, Town is and has always been a stepping stone. All this pontificating about the time being right for this or that is irrelevant. If anything he may get more leeway if he fails at a basket case United than if he struggles with Town. If anything, ManU is the bigger free hit. Unfortunately.

If ManU do this, they'd be creating a whole new loan system for promising young managers, rather than players!

In any case, if they did offer it to KM (Guthers' 'Head Coach' suggestion maybe the most likely), I imagine one of his first steps would be to seek advice from JM, whose advice would no doubt be a significant factor.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Brighton is literally…. on 09:49 - May 15 with 842 viewsBloots

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 09:46 - May 15 by nodge_blue

I really don't see him going to Brighton and certainly not Brentford as mentioned yesterday. I think he will either go to a top six club or not at all.

Brighton are only a step away from us and arguably, he would like us to hunt them down and be the next Brighton. I don't even see them as a safe option as they have probably reached their ceiling and its either sideways or down for them.

….the perfect move for him.

Financially stable, excellent supportive owner, really good MD and a desire to play a very similar style of football to him.

The perfect fit and in my view his most likely destination.

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

we should make a banner on 09:50 - May 15 with 846 viewsKeno

Brighton is literally…. on 09:49 - May 15 by Bloots

Financially stable, excellent supportive owner, really good MD and a desire to play a very similar style of football to him.

that'll put a stop to that move
[Post edited 15 May 9:50]

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 09:50 - May 15 with 839 viewsEuropablue

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 00:25 - May 15 by TRUE_BLUE123

He is savvy, but also smart enough to know how fast football can change. If Manchester United offer him the job, he will go there. It is the biggest football club in the world. You might not get that opportunity again.

But I do think that United might see it as slightly too soon. Also I am sure I read that United didn't actually have any interest in Southgate, which would make me question the validity of the initial rumour.

You have to know when not to force something.
Maybe things are different now, but ever since SAF Utd. has not been set up to allow their managers to excel.
If KM left now it would mean one of two things either Jim Ratcliffe has sorted Man Utd. out, or KM doesn't understand why he was successful at Ipswich. It's not enough to be a great coach/manager. KM would probably failed under the old ownership with us, that's just a hypothetical because he wouldn't have joined us under the old management.
Football can be emotional. If Mark Ashton told me that he wanted to pay me a couple of million to replace McKenna I'd have to very seriously consider it, even though clearly it would be the wrong thing for me to do and for the club.
we should make a banner on 09:52 - May 15 with 813 viewsFrimleyBlue

we should make a banner on 09:50 - May 15 by Keno

I reckon it'll end up with Southgate being Utd manager, and Kieron was meeting with him to discuss a link between the two sides as well as Davis getting into the Euro team this summer.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Maybe we can organise…. on 09:53 - May 15 with 776 viewsBloots

we should make a banner on 09:50 - May 15 by Keno

….a few oddballs from the locale to contact him, to try and put him off a move.

I’ve heard there’s a few weirdos down that way.

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

Login to get fewer ads

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 09:54 - May 15 with 788 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 09:45 - May 15 by Guthrum

I suspect that McKenna has tremendous confidence in his own ability (plus background and experience). You don't get to such senior jobs without that. Moreover, he's either lived or seen very close up all the available options.

It's going to be an equation of specific circumstances, prospects and benefits for each path which guides his decision (should offers be made at this point). He's young and time is very much on his side. Comes across as a very cool head. I very much doubt he will be precipitately leaping one way or the other, snatching at any chance for fear they may not come again.

Quite. You put it much more eloquently than me!

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 09:54 - May 15 with 789 viewsglasso

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 09:48 - May 15 by wkj

People often state KM isn't ready for Man United, but lets face it - no one has been ready for Man United since Ferguson left the club. I think KM has as good a chance as any of landing the spot as a new majority shareholder could roll the dice in a similar way as we did when hiring an unproved manager.

That said, I don't think it would be wise for Man United to do it this season. There is a toxic culture at the club and the chairman needs someone to come in for a season and identify the assets and bad eggs to the majority shareholder. Have a clear out, start the rebuild, then hire McKenna or someone who is a good coach and people person.

Who would be the ideal 1 year transitional manager? Ancelotti in my opinion. He's probably the perfect demolition man for that team but would likely not be the coach they need to rebuild the legacy of the club.
[Post edited 15 May 9:49]

Tbh you could make the argument that Fergie wasn't ready either. He would've been hounded out these days - three years after he joined, they were sitting 17th in the league and there was talk of him being sacked
Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 09:55 - May 15 with 789 viewsPhilTWTD

Not sure there's much in it aside from his people trying to build his stature ahead of the summer and inevitable vacancies which come up. I doubt Man United would look to employ him at this stage.
Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 09:56 - May 15 with 763 views_clive_baker_

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 08:25 - May 15 by fab_lover

If we get relegated straight away then he'll have shown he's not up to being a Premiership manager.

This is when he takes it to the next level. It's a new world he's just entering, true he will have seen a little bit of it when at United, but now he's in the spotlight.

He's in a hell of good place at the moment. Complete backing from the Board, from the players, from everyone basically.

Take the Man U job on, fluff it, be out by Christmas after a run of poor results, and sure he'll have pocketed a few million but the chance of getting again what he's got here will be very slight.

Keep us up - comfortably - and the world's his lobster.

Far from it I would say. Just about anyone in the game knows how good McKenna is. If we go down its more likely due to not having the players to compete at that level and having started from a significantly lower base than all 19 of the clubs we're up against in terms of finances and talent.

His stock will likely drop nonetheless, but it wouldn't equate to him not being equipped to manage in the premier league. It probably would mean United wouldn't be sniffing around though, if they genuinely want him now that he should really cash his chips while he can.
Brighton is literally…. on 09:56 - May 15 with 764 viewsGuthrum

Brighton is literally…. on 09:49 - May 15 by Bloots

But are we not already those things, with the added advantages of him being embedded in the club and having his selected squad already in place?

They just timed their rise a few years before we have.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 09:57 - May 15 with 765 viewswkj

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 09:55 - May 15 by PhilTWTD

Not sure there's much in it aside from his people trying to build his stature ahead of the summer and inevitable vacancies which come up. I doubt Man United would look to employ him at this stage.

Do you think there has been informal discussions between the two parties as has been reported, or do you think it is all guff.
[Post edited 15 May 9:57]

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 09:58 - May 15 with 748 viewsFrimleyBlue

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 09:57 - May 15 by wkj

Do you think there has been informal discussions between the two parties as has been reported, or do you think it is all guff.

Genuine question... Does a manager actually have representatives? I'd also thought the managers wouldn't have one.

Waka waka eh eh

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 09:59 - May 15 with 738 viewswkj

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 09:54 - May 15 by glasso

Tbh you could make the argument that Fergie wasn't ready either. He would've been hounded out these days - three years after he joined, they were sitting 17th in the league and there was talk of him being sacked

True, but it was a different era. You have a bunch of players at united who still believe they are playing at the best club in the world (despite achieving little of note since Fergie left). Massive egos who feel they are better than the club would be an entirely different situation to dealing with a smaller squad who were under performing.

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:00 - May 15 with 729 viewswkj

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 09:58 - May 15 by FrimleyBlue

Genuine question... Does a manager actually have representatives? I'd also thought the managers wouldn't have one.

Managers have agents, why wouldn't they?

Yep, I don't disagree with that Garvers (n/t) on 10:00 - May 15 with 725 viewsDyland

Him being 38 is pretty irrelevant on 09:27 - May 15 by Garv

No you're probably right, but fans will and that will carry a fair bit of weight.

I also think being in and around that level is probably very different when you're the top boss. I think he could do a good job, but not 100% sure they will put that trust in him yet.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:03 - May 15 with 697 viewsFrimleyBlue

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:00 - May 15 by wkj

Managers have agents, why wouldn't they?

Just never thought about it really,

I get the players do, not just to deal with the incoming stuff, but the touting around clubs etc,

But with managers, I just thought theyd just deal with things personally as volume wise, it's not at the same extent as players.

Waka waka eh eh

Aye on 10:04 - May 15 with 685 viewsDyland

Why wouldn't he do it? on 09:49 - May 15 by Ryorry

If ManU do this, they'd be creating a whole new loan system for promising young managers, rather than players!

In any case, if they did offer it to KM (Guthers' 'Head Coach' suggestion maybe the most likely), I imagine one of his first steps would be to seek advice from JM, whose advice would no doubt be a significant factor.

It seems unlikely ManU will come calling, but if they did surely he takes it. And as I say, if they DID offer the job and he declined and stayed at Town then he is probably the Savoiur of Football, as written in the prophecies when the dark times fell from the Sky.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:06 - May 15 with 663 viewswkj

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:03 - May 15 by FrimleyBlue

Just never thought about it really,

I get the players do, not just to deal with the incoming stuff, but the touting around clubs etc,

But with managers, I just thought theyd just deal with things personally as volume wise, it's not at the same extent as players.

Anyone in a high profile position needs someone to filter the communications. If you look at Mourinho having adverts and endorsements - that is clearly agent work. Imagine McKenna having a phonecall every time a club departs with a manager or are thinking of sacking a manager - it would be distracting. That is where the agent comes in, making sure that all communications to McKenna are relevant and timed correctly.

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:06 - May 15 with 657 viewsHerbivore

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 09:05 - May 15 by The_Flashing_Smile

These 'If Man U come calling he goes" posts make me laugh. It's almost like McKenna himself has no say in the matter! The truth is, unless you know him, know what he wants, no-one can possibly say "He'll go."

Whilst it might seem logical, there are a myriad of reasons why he might not go.

It's the fact he has a say in the matter that means he will go if United come calling. The reasons not to take it are far outweighed by the reasons to take it. Anyone who thinks he'd turn United down is being very naive.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:07 - May 15 with 644 viewsFrimleyBlue

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:06 - May 15 by wkj

Anyone in a high profile position needs someone to filter the communications. If you look at Mourinho having adverts and endorsements - that is clearly agent work. Imagine McKenna having a phonecall every time a club departs with a manager or are thinking of sacking a manager - it would be distracting. That is where the agent comes in, making sure that all communications to McKenna are relevant and timed correctly.

"If you look at Mourinho having adverts and endorsements"

good point! hadn't given that stuff a thought.

Waka waka eh eh

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:07 - May 15 with 631 viewsNeedhamChris

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 09:46 - May 15 by nodge_blue

I really don't see him going to Brighton and certainly not Brentford as mentioned yesterday. I think he will either go to a top six club or not at all.

Brighton are only a step away from us and arguably, he would like us to hunt them down and be the next Brighton. I don't even see them as a safe option as they have probably reached their ceiling and its either sideways or down for them.

There's some blue tinted specs here - I know some won't like it because it's Brighton - but they are more than a step away from us currently.

Poll: Who will Kieran McKenna be managing on 1st August 2024

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:08 - May 15 with 791 viewsGuthrum

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 09:57 - May 15 by wkj

Don't know what the rules are around something like that, given he is under contract at Town and there is apparently a financial release clause. Certainly with players "tapping up" is forbidden except in the last months of a contract. Would it require permission from ITFC for talks to happen?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024