Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link 23:56 - May 14 with 20788 viewsIllinoisblue

He wouldn’t, would he?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/article/2024/may/14/manchester-united-ponde

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 12:01 - May 15 with 943 viewsFrimleyBlue

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 11:56 - May 15 by footers

You make a big thing about him being settled here.

Where do you think he was living before?

It's not a big thing to mention settled imo, just that he's spoken of the positive effects of schooling etc and the suffolk life his wife likes. I'm not saying you can't get anywhere else, but in any discussions prior to leaving, it would be 1 of a long list of things anybody would consider when thinking about a potential move.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 12:01 - May 15 with 944 viewsburnbudgiesburn

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 11:57 - May 15 by yorkshireblue

"There was also talk of a £4m release which is absolute chicken feed in the context of the clubs he is now being linked with."

Would literally be in the top 12 buy-outs for a manager that has ever been, globally.

I forget where but that buy out was said by a reputable journo to be be twice the size of what was initially reported when he was linked to Leicester/Celtic.
Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 12:02 - May 15 with 922 viewsHerbivore

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 11:53 - May 15 by FrimleyBlue

Care to share what you don't agree with?

It's massively one sided, so basically all of it. It's also designed to make it look like things like "it's Man Utd" and "European football" are on the same footing as "relocation" and "left to get on with his job". The pull of managing one of the biggest clubs in the world, who he's supported his entire life and worked at previously, and being able to test himself in Europe as well as domestically is huge for an ambitious manager. Not to mention how well a couple of years there sets him up financially for life. What we can offer pales in comparison.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Come on for goodness sake on 12:04 - May 15 with 907 viewsHerbivore

Come on for goodness sake on 11:58 - May 15 by Dyland

It's an educated guess, what with him being a lifelong ManU fan and a football manager :)

Are you being obtuse on purpose?

I don't think it's done on purpose but it's a fair characterisation.
[Post edited 15 May 12:04]

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 12:04 - May 15 with 899 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 11:56 - May 15 by Herbivore

I'm guessing you hadn't previously spent years working in Dubai, loved it working in Dubai, and you're not a lifelong fan of Dubai. It's also not really a good comparison, no offence, but what you do for a living is a million miles away from the world of professional football. McKenna is ambitious and he's not going to turn down the opportunity to manage one of the biggest clubs in the world if and when that opportunity presents itself.

I wasn't comparing what I do to what he does - just making the point that it isn't cut and dried that people always jump at the seemingly (to outsiders) better opportunity.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 12:06 - May 15 with 877 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 11:58 - May 15 by Herbivore

Of course you can't, dear.

You can patronise all you like, we can still see you avoiding addressing any of the points.

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 12:07 - May 15 with 874 viewsHerbivore

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 12:04 - May 15 by The_Flashing_Smile

I wasn't comparing what I do to what he does - just making the point that it isn't cut and dried that people always jump at the seemingly (to outsiders) better opportunity.

It's not seemingly a better opportunity though is it? It's Manchester United, and much as I dislike them they are one of the biggest clubs in the world and even in their worst spell in 30 years they are still consistently qualifying for Europe. It is very clearly a much better opportunity than managing us right now.

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 12:07 - May 15 with 870 viewsChrisd

The United job is a massive one not just in status, but the mess they currently find themselves. KM has strong connections up there, knows the club, the players and staff and lets be brutally honest there is no loyalty in football regardless of what we would like to believe as Town supporters. I do think that the United job has come too early at this point in time for KM and he would be a huge risk for them, after all he's still learning his managerial trade. Nevertheless, I'm not naïve enough to believe Ipswich is the Mecca of football, especially if bigger clubs come knocking on the door.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Login to get fewer ads

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 12:08 - May 15 with 844 viewsRyorry

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 11:00 - May 15 by GlasgowBlue

Man not living in echo chamber shocker!!

I’ve said a few times on here that I used to read the Torygraph too, as it was a good solid alternative source of news even though I was on the other side politically - but that since its quality had dropped like a stone to become as bad as (or worse) than the DM in recent years, I’d stopped.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 12:09 - May 15 with 853 viewsFrimleyBlue

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 12:02 - May 15 by Herbivore

It's massively one sided, so basically all of it. It's also designed to make it look like things like "it's Man Utd" and "European football" are on the same footing as "relocation" and "left to get on with his job". The pull of managing one of the biggest clubs in the world, who he's supported his entire life and worked at previously, and being able to test himself in Europe as well as domestically is huge for an ambitious manager. Not to mention how well a couple of years there sets him up financially for life. What we can offer pales in comparison.

I already mentioned well paid.

You mentioned pros and cons, I felt I wanted to give it a go, but you've not actually shared why you disagree with the list, you're imo being one sided by seeing it plainly as man utd therefore he MUST want it.

It's all full of ifs, what ever happened, but just because it is Utd, doesn't make it the right, best or the move KM wants to take right now, with how involved and in depth he is with football, I'd be surprised if he wouldn't have a pro/con list, it certainly wouldn't be as small as 'it's man utd' , playing in europe etc. It's a tough gig for the reasons i listed.
[Post edited 15 May 12:10]

Waka waka eh eh

Come on for goodness sake on 12:12 - May 15 with 822 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Come on for goodness sake on 11:58 - May 15 by Dyland

It's an educated guess, what with him being a lifelong ManU fan and a football manager :)

Are you being obtuse on purpose?

I'm playing devil's advocate. Essentially, we don't know what McKenna wants. If people like Herbs were saying it's very likely he'd go there I wouldn't have a problem, simply based on him being a Man U fan and a football manager. But it's not as simple as that and we don't know what factors he might be considering (although we've guessed at a few here).

It's the idea that someone knows what someone else would definitely do, without knowing them, that irks me. And when anyone lists any reasons he might stay they aren't even addressed, just dismissed with a quip or a pic of some specs. Not exactly great debating is it?
[Post edited 15 May 13:50]

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 12:13 - May 15 with 804 viewsHerbivore

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 12:06 - May 15 by The_Flashing_Smile

You can patronise all you like, we can still see you avoiding addressing any of the points.

I've literally replied to Frimmers, so maybe a trip to Specsavers is in order, mate.

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 12:17 - May 15 with 782 viewsgiant_stow

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 12:13 - May 15 by Herbivore

I've literally replied to Frimmers, so maybe a trip to Specsavers is in order, mate.

This is like watching a cat play with a half dead mouse. Put him down!
[Post edited 15 May 12:26]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Come on for goodness sake on 12:18 - May 15 with 769 viewsitfcjoe

Come on for goodness sake on 12:12 - May 15 by The_Flashing_Smile

I'm playing devil's advocate. Essentially, we don't know what McKenna wants. If people like Herbs were saying it's very likely he'd go there I wouldn't have a problem, simply based on him being a Man U fan and a football manager. But it's not as simple as that and we don't know what factors he might be considering (although we've guessed at a few here).

It's the idea that someone knows what someone else would definitely do, without knowing them, that irks me. And when anyone lists any reasons he might stay they aren't even addressed, just dismissed with a quip or a pic of some specs. Not exactly great debating is it?
[Post edited 15 May 13:50]

Come on, we don't need a Devils Advocate here - if McKenna were to be offered the Man U job (which I don't think he will be this summer) he would crawl over hot coals from here to Manchester to take it up

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 12:22 - May 15 with 731 viewsBarcaBlue

I don't think it's straw clutching to consider the possibility of Ten Haag staying and all of this is potentially a moot point right now. If he does leave it'd be odd if McKenna wasn't on a short list but I just can't see them appointing a manager with no top level managerial experience.

There is also the scenario where the names higher up the short list aren't interested in what would be an incredibly hard remit at United. I can't imagine McKenna not accepting if offered. Hopefully if the position is available they go for a "safe" Southgate type appointment.
Come on for goodness sake on 12:22 - May 15 with 714 viewsFrimleyBlue

Come on for goodness sake on 12:18 - May 15 by itfcjoe

Come on, we don't need a Devils Advocate here - if McKenna were to be offered the Man U job (which I don't think he will be this summer) he would crawl over hot coals from here to Manchester to take it up

I actually think those that think this without question, are doing KM a disservice.

Waka waka eh eh

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 12:23 - May 15 with 701 viewsSharkey

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 12:08 - May 15 by Ryorry

I’ve said a few times on here that I used to read the Torygraph too, as it was a good solid alternative source of news even though I was on the other side politically - but that since its quality had dropped like a stone to become as bad as (or worse) than the DM in recent years, I’d stopped.

I miss the cricket coverage, the long reports from the Old Bailey (and other courts), and the quick crossword where the first two clues form a pun. (e.g. 1 across: Impression. 2 across: Impressionist. Answer 1. Print 2. Cézanne.)
Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 12:26 - May 15 with 675 viewsgiant_stow

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 12:23 - May 15 by Sharkey

I miss the cricket coverage, the long reports from the Old Bailey (and other courts), and the quick crossword where the first two clues form a pun. (e.g. 1 across: Impression. 2 across: Impressionist. Answer 1. Print 2. Cézanne.)

I don't work on this site anymore, so can suggest it without ulterior motive, but you might like: https://courtnewsuk.co.uk/

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Come on for goodness sake on 12:26 - May 15 with 670 viewsHerbivore

Come on for goodness sake on 12:18 - May 15 by itfcjoe

Yeah but you can't say that because you haven't asked him or something. Never mind that it's blindingly obvious to anyone not wearing blue tinted specs.

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 12:27 - May 15 with 659 viewsfooters

Whoever backed 10+ @ evens, I'm paying out early.

Well done to all who played.

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 12:28 - May 15 with 644 viewsBiGDonnie

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 11:30 - May 15 by portmanking

It's worth noting Brighton could yet finish 13th this season.

I admire the work they've done, absolutely. But they're not immune from being dragged into the lower reaches again IMO. In some ways, the big 6 is now the big 8, as Tottenham and Villa have certainly moved into that realm of late.

Agree with this. They've been rubbish this season. Who's to say they won't do a Leicester and be relegated next season.

People are still underestimating what we could potentially do this coming season. If the summer goes well with us landing our top targets, I can see us surprising even more people next season.

It's at this point (us smashing the Prem this year) that's we'll lose KM to one of the big boys.
[Post edited 15 May 12:52]

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 12:35 - May 15 with 591 viewsStokieBlue

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 11:57 - May 15 by The_Flashing_Smile

You're usually much better at debating than this.

What is there to debate?

You've declared the opinion of a number of posters invalid because we "can't know McKenna's mind" whilst making an argument yourself which in order to be valid requires you to know his mind.

It's pointless to debate with any real vigour given this stance.

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 12:35 - May 15 with 576 viewsRyorry

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 11:56 - May 15 by footers

You make a big thing about him being settled here.

Where do you think he was living before?

Wouldn’t be a huge shock if family prefers ‘sleepy Suffolk’ to the pressures of Metro Manchester though.

His family have obviously been supportive though, so would no doubt back his choice, but he’s always seemed to me someone who cares about more than money, and I think some people are underestimating how much family happiness means.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 12:36 - May 15 with 580 viewsfooters

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 12:35 - May 15 by StokieBlue

What is there to debate?

You've declared the opinion of a number of posters invalid because we "can't know McKenna's mind" whilst making an argument yourself which in order to be valid requires you to know his mind.

It's pointless to debate with any real vigour given this stance.

SB

Didn't expect it to get so Cartesian so quickly.

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 12:40 - May 15 with 542 views_clive_baker_

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 12:09 - May 15 by FrimleyBlue

I already mentioned well paid.

You mentioned pros and cons, I felt I wanted to give it a go, but you've not actually shared why you disagree with the list, you're imo being one sided by seeing it plainly as man utd therefore he MUST want it.

It's all full of ifs, what ever happened, but just because it is Utd, doesn't make it the right, best or the move KM wants to take right now, with how involved and in depth he is with football, I'd be surprised if he wouldn't have a pro/con list, it certainly wouldn't be as small as 'it's man utd' , playing in europe etc. It's a tough gig for the reasons i listed.
[Post edited 15 May 12:10]

Ultimately people can talk pros and cons all they like, and there is certainly merit in there being pros to staying, but if you step back from that noise and look at it objectively it would feel highly, highly unlikely that McKenna wouldn't leave us to take the #1 job at United. It's all conjecture, we don't know where his head is at, but we have to be realistic about it. It would be an incredible opportunity for him.

TBH I think its a moot point, the primary reason he wouldn't leave for United right now feels to me to be their keenness to take him, rather than his willingness to go.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024