Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Niche computer games from the pre console era 19:00 - Oct 5 with 3880 viewsDubtractor

Because I am old, some of my targeted Facebook content seems to be retro computer games, which does actually bring up some nice stuff.

For those of similarly advanced years, share the obscure/low budget/forgotten games that entertained you before consoles too over.

Here's one from me. Rockstar Ate My Hamster. Sort of like football manager but with pop bands. Had this on the spectrum 128k, but also played a lot on a mates Atari ST.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: Are we gonna win tomorrow then?

7
Niche computer games from the pre console era on 20:42 - Oct 5 with 886 viewsGuthrum

Moonlander on the ZX81. Always popular was Defender on the BBC Micro.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

1
Niche computer games from the pre console era on 21:15 - Oct 5 with 836 viewsStokieBlue

The Wild Bunch on the Spectrum.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/

Loved it, even vibe coded it recently as a PWA just to test out some things.

Too many games on the Spectrum to list really.

SB

Avatar - M101 - Pinwheel Galaxy

1
Niche computer games from the pre console era on 21:17 - Oct 5 with 836 viewsdavblue

Niche computer games from the pre console era on 20:08 - Oct 5 by redrickstuhaart

Took a bit of playing to get used to Sensi. Once you did though, it was so instinctive and fluid. Really felt like playing football


Sensible soccer was unreal for 2 or 3 years, then I got into Championship manager!
1
Niche computer games from the pre console era on 21:28 - Oct 5 with 820 viewsIllinoisblue

So many hours spent playing those early Codemasters games for the Spectun. 1.99, I think they cost. The BMX game got a LOT of use.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

2
Niche computer games from the pre console era on 22:19 - Oct 5 with 753 viewsmrfixit426

Niche computer games from the pre console era on 21:15 - Oct 5 by StokieBlue

The Wild Bunch on the Spectrum.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/

Loved it, even vibe coded it recently as a PWA just to test out some things.

Too many games on the Spectrum to list really.

SB


I sank days into that game! Back in a time when I had days to sink into games.
1
Niche computer games from the pre console era on 22:31 - Oct 5 with 733 viewsCaptainAhab

Niche computer games from the pre console era on 19:56 - Oct 5 by redrickstuhaart

Sorry to kick off the 16 bit equivalent of Pablo and Kuqi.

But Kick off 2 was vastly inferior to Sensible Soccer. It was as clear a choice as Pablo is over Kuqi.

If we are going 16 bit, which isn't really on, Speedball 2 needs a shout.


Forget Sensible Soccer and Kick Off 2; Emlyn Hughes International Soccer was the real OG on the Spectrum.
0
Niche computer games from the pre console era on 22:37 - Oct 5 with 727 viewsBugs

Niche computer games from the pre console era on 20:23 - Oct 5 by Bugs

Just found it free to play.

If anyone wants to complete it and do better than 12-year-old me, feel free.

Collect the horseshoes; get to the owl.

https://www.bbcmicro.co.uk/gam


Over this evening, I have found out that 12-year-old me was cleverer than 52-year-old me, which is quite depressing.
0
Niche computer games from the pre console era on 22:47 - Oct 5 with 707 viewsbluester

Niche computer games from the pre console era on 20:34 - Oct 5 by DanTheMan

Thankfully the age of this sort of game has had a bit of a comeback recently. There are plenty of odd niche games about.

https://store.steampowered.com

https://store.steampowered.com

On topic though, and not strictly pre-console, but the original Discworld game. Incredible voice cast.


First one reminds me of My Summer Car.
0
Login to get fewer ads

Niche computer games from the pre console era on 22:51 - Oct 5 with 699 viewsredrickstuhaart

Niche computer games from the pre console era on 22:31 - Oct 5 by CaptainAhab

Forget Sensible Soccer and Kick Off 2; Emlyn Hughes International Soccer was the real OG on the Spectrum.


Matchday 2 was the best spectrum one.

Poll: Spectrum or C64 / Pablo or Kuqi- your preferences?

0
Niche computer games from the pre console era on 22:52 - Oct 5 with 697 viewsbluester

Niche computer games from the pre console era on 20:29 - Oct 5 by NthQldITFC

Was speedball the throwing thing? With body armour like American football without the line ups, stopping and starting and ad breaks?

Yes, that was great!


It was! Also a great 2 player game.
0
Niche computer games from the pre console era on 22:55 - Oct 5 with 693 viewsMark

Consoles and computers were available around the same time, but I was very glad to have a Spectrum rather than an NES / Sega Master System. Fantasy World Dizzy for £2.99 was one of my best purchases, and one I remember fondly. Head Over Heels was probably the best in the Speccy.
0
Niche computer games from the pre console era on 22:55 - Oct 5 with 694 viewsbluester

Niche computer games from the pre console era on 20:42 - Oct 5 by Guthrum

Moonlander on the ZX81. Always popular was Defender on the BBC Micro.


Labyrinth on the ZX81 was the first home computer game i ever played. I remember being blown away by the graphics. Far more impressive than our Hanimex Pong machine and light gun.
1
Niche computer games from the pre console era on 23:01 - Oct 5 with 686 viewsBugs

This thread seems like the right place to remind people that a town fan has created a free retro football manager game.

https://retro-football-manager
1
Niche computer games from the pre console era on 23:28 - Oct 5 with 660 viewsWicklowBlue

Funnily enough I am getting flooded with retro games on FB too!

From affluent friends of mine having BBC micro, to my family graduating from a 16k spectrum (yep the cheap version of thr 48k rubber keyboard sleccy) to a C64, Amiga 500 and into the 386sx PC's and beyond.

All the Ultimate Speccy games (Sabrewulf, Underworld etc need a mention), the later games Lemmings (awesome split screen 2 player), Sensible Soccer (spent a weekend playing this with 8 friends!), then into PS1, PS2 etc.

The best preconsole game that caught my 8 yo attention was this:



(Tried to avoid all the AI etc vids on youtube, the above is what I remember Elite being)

PS evidently can still play it today...
4
Niche computer games from the pre console era on 23:54 - Oct 5 with 635 viewsredrickstuhaart

Niche computer games from the pre console era on 22:55 - Oct 5 by Mark

Consoles and computers were available around the same time, but I was very glad to have a Spectrum rather than an NES / Sega Master System. Fantasy World Dizzy for £2.99 was one of my best purchases, and one I remember fondly. Head Over Heels was probably the best in the Speccy.


Spectrum was before the NES and way before it became any sort of popular thing in the UK.

But of course the Atari 2600 preceded both.

Poll: Spectrum or C64 / Pablo or Kuqi- your preferences?

1
Niche computer games from the pre console era on 00:24 - Oct 6 with 619 viewsflykickingbybgunn

Try twtds own
Retro-football-manager.com
A game run by a Town supporter for Town supporters.
And it's free !
0
Niche computer games from the pre console era on 02:28 - Oct 6 with 587 viewsquirkie

Manic Miner

Written by Matthew Smith aged 16.

To this day I'm baffled how kid that age made an iconic game like this.

Play it here.

https://www.retrogames.cz/play

Poll: How long will we be in League One/League Two from next season?

1
Niche computer games from the pre console era on 02:54 - Oct 6 with 573 viewsIPS_wich

Track and Field on the Commodore 64. I bashed those F and G keys like nobody's business when I was a pre-teen - right up until I discovered something else that was more fun to bash when I became a teenager...
[Post edited 6 Oct 2:54]
1
Niche computer games from the pre console era on 04:40 - Oct 6 with 528 viewsBenters

Clearing a sideboard out (now that’s old) I found my old PS1 with the first Tomb Raider game in it.

Not as old as all of those consoles but I loved that game.

Gentlybentley
Poll: Which is best Cycling or Running,i will go for cycling as you are sitting down

1
Niche computer games from the pre console era on 06:34 - Oct 6 with 491 viewsKeno

Head coach - us football game played on an Amiga

Poll: So TWTD What's The Greatest Sporting Achievement
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

0
Niche computer games from the pre console era on 07:10 - Oct 6 with 466 viewsDubtractor

Niche computer games from the pre console era on 22:55 - Oct 5 by Mark

Consoles and computers were available around the same time, but I was very glad to have a Spectrum rather than an NES / Sega Master System. Fantasy World Dizzy for £2.99 was one of my best purchases, and one I remember fondly. Head Over Heels was probably the best in the Speccy.


Yeah, i guess I meant before consoles took over and became the default gaming devices.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: Are we gonna win tomorrow then?

0
Niche computer games from the pre console era on 07:32 - Oct 6 with 432 viewsDubtractor

Another Spectrum game i played loads was Commando. Pretty straightforward vertical scrolling shoot everything that came at you game, but very playable.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: Are we gonna win tomorrow then?

0
Niche computer games from the pre console era on 07:44 - Oct 6 with 423 viewsStokieBlue

Niche computer games from the pre console era on 07:32 - Oct 6 by Dubtractor

Another Spectrum game i played loads was Commando. Pretty straightforward vertical scrolling shoot everything that came at you game, but very playable.


Other classics that haven't been mentioned on the Spectrum:

Monty is innocent
Soccer boss
R-Type
The Untouchables
The Hobbit
Way of the exploding fist

So many great games at the time.

SB

Avatar - M101 - Pinwheel Galaxy

0
Niche computer games from the pre console era on 07:59 - Oct 6 with 395 viewsNthQldITFC

Niche computer games from the pre console era on 23:28 - Oct 5 by WicklowBlue

Funnily enough I am getting flooded with retro games on FB too!

From affluent friends of mine having BBC micro, to my family graduating from a 16k spectrum (yep the cheap version of thr 48k rubber keyboard sleccy) to a C64, Amiga 500 and into the 386sx PC's and beyond.

All the Ultimate Speccy games (Sabrewulf, Underworld etc need a mention), the later games Lemmings (awesome split screen 2 player), Sensible Soccer (spent a weekend playing this with 8 friends!), then into PS1, PS2 etc.

The best preconsole game that caught my 8 yo attention was this:



(Tried to avoid all the AI etc vids on youtube, the above is what I remember Elite being)

PS evidently can still play it today...


Blue Danube whilst docking?

Good work by Philogene...... GREAT WORK BY PHILOGENE!!!
Poll: How would you feel about a UK Identity Card?

2
Niche computer games from the pre console era on 08:53 - Oct 6 with 335 viewsMJallday

Im somewhat of a c64 geek. see if any of these tickle your memory cells

Barbarian
Jet Set Willy (2)
Monty on the run
Bubble Bobble
The Great Giana Sisters
Buggy Boy
Spindizzy
Pitstop 2
Kickstart 2
Pirates!
Elite
The Bards Tale (1 or 3, 2 was rubbish)
Impossible Mission 1 / 2
Paradoid
Uridium
Calafornia Games/Summer Games/Winter Games
International Karate +

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

2
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Online Safety Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2026