Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
First Time Abroad. 18:34 - Oct 6 with 930 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Interested to know where the good folks of TWTD had their first foreign trip and in which year.
Was chatting about this on our flight back from Sofia yesterday evening and how accessible travel to the four corners of the globe has become over the decades (for better or worse).
Mine was two weeks full board in Salou in 1972 aged eleven and it seemed like the most exciting thing ever, went with my parents and another family.
Package holidays were starting to give everyday people at least the opportunity to be able to afford what at the time seemed like a really exotic destination.


We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

2
First Time Abroad. on 18:43 - Oct 6 with 787 viewsDJR

Majorca in 1975 when I was 15.

EDIT: I missed out being born in Canada. The UK was abroad for me.
[Post edited 6 Oct 19:50]
2
First Time Abroad. on 18:46 - Oct 6 with 757 viewsWeWereZombies

1958 all around France, Germany and Spain in a Morris Traveller, don't remember a thing about it. I was three years old.

Poll: To make him more acceptable what should Gary O'Neill change his middle name to ?

3
First Time Abroad. on 18:48 - Oct 6 with 750 viewsSE1blue

Spain in the summer of 1980.

Family of five in a Morris Marina. We stayed on a campsite in Oropesa del mar.

I was 7 and blonder than the milky bar kid. I only mention this as the campsite owners wife had never seen hair as white as mine and loved it. She gave me free pastries as an extra if my mum and dad sent me into the onsite bakery. I spent most of our vacation in between her boobies as she would grab me anytime she saw me and give me a massive hug.

TWTD.

Poll: Should VAR be scrapped?
Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

3
First Time Abroad. on 19:02 - Oct 6 with 682 viewsMattinLondon

Tenerife when I was 11.

Was just so exciting - loved hearing people talking in Spanish as well as mixing with people from all over Europe. Loved the exotic food and the fact that everything seemed so chilled out. Oh, and the topless women on the beach was great for eleven year old me.
[Post edited 6 Oct 19:03]
1
First Time Abroad. on 19:05 - Oct 6 with 664 viewsJ2BLUE

Marbella. 2001 or 2002.
1
First Time Abroad. on 19:10 - Oct 6 with 648 viewsIndependentlyBlue

Camping in France, Italy and Switzerland in 1969 (I think) with Boston Lodge Youth Club, Lowestoft. Group of about twenty of us including Youth Leaders in two minibuses. Smuggled one lass over with us the whole trip after we got to Dover and she’d forgotten her passport

Excellent trip and happy memories of a beer called iirc Speziall Hell.

Better to stay silent and be thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt

1
First Time Abroad. on 19:13 - Oct 6 with 637 viewsRayleighBlue

A week in La Pineda just down the road from Salou in August 2001.

I was 12 and my main memories are that I missed Finidi's home debut against Derby and the 1-0 loss against Charlton which we watched come in on Soccer Saturday sat in a beachside bar whilst my dad and uncle downed pint after pint of Spanish lager.

I think the 1st round UEFA Cup draw was made whilst I was there as well.

Couple of months later I went abroad for the second time to a little town in Sweden...
1
First Time Abroad. on 19:25 - Oct 6 with 579 viewsvapour_trail

Ireland, a few weeks old, to meet the rellies.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

1
Login to get fewer ads

First Time Abroad. on 19:44 - Oct 6 with 543 viewsgainsboroughblue

Netherlands from Harwich when I was 28. I was really late to the travelling bug. First flight was when I was 31, to Dublin.

I did most of my holidaying up to then in this country, which to be honest, is wonderful in its own right in places.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

2
First Time Abroad. on 19:52 - Oct 6 with 507 viewsGuthrum

Aged about two, which would make it 1971-ish, to the Netherlands, combining a family holiday with a geography field trip run by my father. On the ferry, which for some reason I've always thought sailed from Felixstowe, not Harwich. I had then very new Mr Tickle and Mr Sneeze read to me.

Remember very little about it, apart from that. Tho there are pictures of me in Madurodam and I know we stayed at De Witte Raaf, not far from Leiden.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

1
First Time Abroad. on 19:54 - Oct 6 with 500 viewsPlums

1974 as a three year old army brat in Munster followed by five years in Belgium. My dad never wanted to fly so the earliest holiday memories abroad (once we'd moved back to the UK) were driving to northern Spain, sleeping on the back seat with the footwells full of stuff!
TWTD

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

1
First Time Abroad. on 19:57 - Oct 6 with 491 viewsMeadowlark

School cruise when I was 12ish.
Gibraltar, Malta, Athens, Egypt and Venice.
Flew home on a Comet !!
1
First Time Abroad. on 20:30 - Oct 6 with 420 viewsmistert

First Time Abroad. on 19:52 - Oct 6 by Guthrum

Aged about two, which would make it 1971-ish, to the Netherlands, combining a family holiday with a geography field trip run by my father. On the ferry, which for some reason I've always thought sailed from Felixstowe, not Harwich. I had then very new Mr Tickle and Mr Sneeze read to me.

Remember very little about it, apart from that. Tho there are pictures of me in Madurodam and I know we stayed at De Witte Raaf, not far from Leiden.


There used to be a passenger ferry from Felixstowe to Zeebrugge..
1
First Time Abroad. on 20:35 - Oct 6 with 373 viewsWD19

Black Sea (Romania) pre-school at the start of the 80s.

Had been Torquay for holidays before that and Majorca after….
1
First Time Abroad. on 20:54 - Oct 6 with 320 viewsBrianTablet

Sea Palling. Remember crossing the Waveney like it was last year.

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot."
Poll: You live in Clacton. You are duty-bound to vote. Who do you vote for?

1
First Time Abroad. on 21:02 - Oct 6 with 290 viewsbluester

Turin, 1977, road trip down to Italy with me a 6 month old. Bet my mother was delighted.
1
First Time Abroad. on 21:06 - Oct 6 with 270 viewsSwansea_Blue

Whole summer holidays (5-6 weeks) in Kenya, 1988. I was 17 (no foreign holidays for us at home. My dad only went overseas three times; Iceland, Paris, Ireland, and all times I took him). TWTD.

An amazing country when you have the time to explore it properly and the benefit of local knowledge. Highlights were 2x two week-long overland camping safaris in the Serengeti and north around Lake Turkana, which was the most formative for me and awoke a desire to experience harsh, remote environments ever since. One of George Monbiot’s earliest pieces of work looked at the plight of the local people there; we were lucky enough to spend some time in one of their villages - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
[Post edited 6 Oct 21:07]

Poll: Escaped Goat of the day. Who’s it going to be?

3
First Time Abroad. on 21:09 - Oct 6 with 247 viewsbluester

First Time Abroad. on 21:06 - Oct 6 by Swansea_Blue

Whole summer holidays (5-6 weeks) in Kenya, 1988. I was 17 (no foreign holidays for us at home. My dad only went overseas three times; Iceland, Paris, Ireland, and all times I took him). TWTD.

An amazing country when you have the time to explore it properly and the benefit of local knowledge. Highlights were 2x two week-long overland camping safaris in the Serengeti and north around Lake Turkana, which was the most formative for me and awoke a desire to experience harsh, remote environments ever since. One of George Monbiot’s earliest pieces of work looked at the plight of the local people there; we were lucky enough to spend some time in one of their villages - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
[Post edited 6 Oct 21:07]


Oh wow, what a first trip!

My sister went with my mother (who is Kenyan) around the same time you were there. It nearly broke her.
1
First Time Abroad. on 21:09 - Oct 6 with 247 viewsSwansea_Blue

First Time Abroad. on 18:46 - Oct 6 by WeWereZombies

1958 all around France, Germany and Spain in a Morris Traveller, don't remember a thing about it. I was three years old.


We did a European tour by road with our kids when they were 3 and 6 months. Seems a waste in hindsight for them, but I enjoyed it.

Poll: Escaped Goat of the day. Who’s it going to be?

1
First Time Abroad. on 21:15 - Oct 6 with 229 viewsPique

Italy as a primary school kid in the mid-1980s, including Venice and Florence, but I don't remember much of it, I must have been about 6.

Then we had a period of UK-based holidays for a few years, mainly Cornwall, so my first 'proper' foreign holiday was a Eurocamp in Brittany when I was around 11 (early 1990s).

Didn't leave Europe (for Australia) until I was in my early twenties.
1
First Time Abroad. on 21:19 - Oct 6 with 216 viewsSwansea_Blue

First Time Abroad. on 21:09 - Oct 6 by bluester

Oh wow, what a first trip!

My sister went with my mother (who is Kenyan) around the same time you were there. It nearly broke her.


It was superb. Yeah, i can imagine it’s an unforgiving country. It was around the time of that brutal murder of an English girl out in the Serengeti area somewhere. We were lucky because we were pampered in Nairobi between trip s out (I was staying with the family of a friend in a nice place). So for a naive lad who’s never left England we were well looked after. The skies are achingly beautiful. All of it was beautiful really; we experienced so much except the coastal parts.

Have you managed to get out there if your mother is Kenyan?

Poll: Escaped Goat of the day. Who’s it going to be?

1
First Time Abroad. on 21:23 - Oct 6 with 205 viewsKeno

Day drip to Dieppe on a 4 hour cross channel ferry when i was 15 with my mate

Thought we’d be very chic by going to the bar for a Pernod at 7.30 am before going to the restaurant for a big fry up

Was also the first time I threw up in France

Poll: So TWTD What's The Greatest Sporting Achievement
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

4
First Time Abroad. on 21:25 - Oct 6 with 203 viewsbluester

First Time Abroad. on 21:19 - Oct 6 by Swansea_Blue

It was superb. Yeah, i can imagine it’s an unforgiving country. It was around the time of that brutal murder of an English girl out in the Serengeti area somewhere. We were lucky because we were pampered in Nairobi between trip s out (I was staying with the family of a friend in a nice place). So for a naive lad who’s never left England we were well looked after. The skies are achingly beautiful. All of it was beautiful really; we experienced so much except the coastal parts.

Have you managed to get out there if your mother is Kenyan?


Nope, by the time i was ready to go out there she’d had enough of visiting. She no longer recognised it as the country she grew up in. edit: also all our family have left now. They’re in SA (where they’re from) or Aus. I might try to tempt my wife to go at some point.

I can imagine it’d have quite an impact as a young lad.
[Post edited 6 Oct 21:27]
2
First Time Abroad. on 21:34 - Oct 6 with 176 viewsSwansea_Blue

First Time Abroad. on 21:25 - Oct 6 by bluester

Nope, by the time i was ready to go out there she’d had enough of visiting. She no longer recognised it as the country she grew up in. edit: also all our family have left now. They’re in SA (where they’re from) or Aus. I might try to tempt my wife to go at some point.

I can imagine it’d have quite an impact as a young lad.
[Post edited 6 Oct 21:27]


Shame but I can see how that happens. I can’t encourage you to go for it as my memory is from nearly 40 years ago. Although I bet the landscapes are largely the same, and they were stunning.

I don’t think I had appreciated the impact that trip had on me, as nearly 20 years later my and my missus went to Tanzania on our honeymoon and saw the Serengeti from the other side. Something must have got in my blood. They’re the only two times I’ve made it to that part of the world.

You should maybe think about going and just manage expectations. A new experience to share together with particular meaning for you. Although I’ve no idea how the country is now.

Poll: Escaped Goat of the day. Who’s it going to be?

2
First Time Abroad. on 21:54 - Oct 6 with 135 viewsWeWereZombies

First Time Abroad. on 21:34 - Oct 6 by Swansea_Blue

Shame but I can see how that happens. I can’t encourage you to go for it as my memory is from nearly 40 years ago. Although I bet the landscapes are largely the same, and they were stunning.

I don’t think I had appreciated the impact that trip had on me, as nearly 20 years later my and my missus went to Tanzania on our honeymoon and saw the Serengeti from the other side. Something must have got in my blood. They’re the only two times I’ve made it to that part of the world.

You should maybe think about going and just manage expectations. A new experience to share together with particular meaning for you. Although I’ve no idea how the country is now.


I went on an overland truck from Nairobi to Ethiopia eleven years ago, the two running the trip were hopeless but the country was pretty interesting. Hiring a 4x4 to drive around Tanzania is pretty high up on my bucket list now.

Poll: To make him more acceptable what should Gary O'Neill change his middle name to ?

2
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Online Safety Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2026