Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Interesting views on Town from the doctors 16:12 - Mar 6 with 3048 viewsunstableblue

I went to the doctors this afternoon.

For jabs.

To keep my instability in check I have to be administered with sedatives, at levels normally reserved for safari parks. Or perhaps it was a holiday jab. You decide,

The lovely older lady nurse pulled up the sleeve to reveal the town body art - "so you're a Town fan" she exclaimed. "Me too".

There ensued a very pleasant and informed chat about town, despite the needle.

Been going since Robson days, with her husband. Season ticket holder for decades, gave up 2 seasons ago. Why I asked. "there's no point paying for something that's supposed to entertain you when it doesn't" was the reply.

She asked about the Brentford game, I gave her my view, we discussed how sad it is that we're now smaller than Brentford. I did say how the Leeds game had been a really good performance with attack, and she said she'd heard as much, and she watched the Norwich away game and thought it a bit better. But then she moved on to McCarthy - they decided give up their Season Tickets on the way back from another turgid performance, listening on BBC Suffolk to Mick stating yet again "it doesn't matter how we play, its the points that matter". And that was that.

When I gazed up at the near empty Churchmans upper, the sparse Churchmans lower and North Upper, the sparse Cobbold, you can't help feel there are many, many other liker her.

Let's really hope the new Mick, the new system and direction can click and the return of many players can fix the demise. I can't be convinced when I see wing backs sat so deep, and the lack of players getting into the box.

But many call for facts with regard how we're doing, well the following for me really are concerning:

We are 19th in the table for posession this season, bottom of the table for shots per game, and 22nd for pass completion. Awful stats.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Interesting views on Town from the doctors on 16:16 - Mar 6 with 2688 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Possession never won a football match.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Interesting views on Town from the doctors on 16:18 - Mar 6 with 2669 viewsBackToRussia

Interesting views on Town from the doctors on 16:16 - Mar 6 by The_Romford_Blue

Usually helps if you can pass the ball to a teammate tho.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Interesting views on Town from the doctors on 16:18 - Mar 6 with 2670 viewsdavblue

ah but shots at goal and getting men in the box will give you a greater chance!
Interesting views on Town from the doctors on 16:26 - Mar 6 with 2615 viewsLord_Lucan

You don't score many goals when you haven't got possession.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Interesting views on Town from the doctors on 16:30 - Mar 6 with 2614 viewsunstableblue

Hmmmmmmm, well the top ten possession teams are as follows:

1 Fulham
2 Reading
3 Huddersfield
4 Newcastle United
5 Norwich
6 Sheffield Wednesday
7 Derby
8 Brighton
9 Leeds
10 Brentford

the bottom feeder as follows:
19 Ipswich
20 Blackburn
21 Burton
22 Preston
23 Cardiff
24 Rotherham

So Preston, and perhaps Norwich break my facts. But not really!
[Post edited 6 Mar 2017 16:30]

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Interesting views on Town from the doctors on 16:34 - Mar 6 with 2569 viewsblueislander

I would venture to suggest that there have been occasions on which the team having the majority of possession has won a football match.
Interesting views on Town from the doctors on 16:42 - Mar 6 with 2537 viewsCoastalblue

This definitely resonates with me. I started going late 70', went to every home game from '81 onwards I'm pleased to say and once I was working I got a season ticket and started to spice it up with several away days each season.

I actually dropped the season ticket during Keanes tenure, but carried on going most weeks we were at home, same through Jewell's time.

Admittedly my life has changed, illness, divorce, moved further away, but the last two or three years has seen me go less and less. This season I will probably go half a dozen times, and they will be because I almost feel like I ought to.
When I do get tickets now no longer is there the sense of anticipation, it's more a hope that I'll witness something worth seeing.

I sat through the Duncan years and to let go of my season ticket never entered my mind, but once you do start to become the casual fan it becomes very easy to become more and more casual without something to entice.

I'm not laying the blame solely at the door of MM, but Town used to be a club I was immensley pround to support in a family of Hammers, I'm not sure I really feel like that anymore and that's the whole Club, not just the Manager or current team.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Interesting views on Town from the doctors on 16:46 - Mar 6 with 2499 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Interesting views on Town from the doctors on 16:34 - Mar 6 by blueislander

I would venture to suggest that there have been occasions on which the team having the majority of possession has won a football match.

But even in our playoff season we retell had more possession than the opposition

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Login to get fewer ads

Interesting views on Town from the doctors on 16:50 - Mar 6 with 2476 viewsJ2BLUE

Interesting views on Town from the doctors on 16:34 - Mar 6 by blueislander

And other times where teams have had 60%+ and lost.

I bet Leicester wish they had more possession last season.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Interesting views on Town from the doctors on 16:51 - Mar 6 with 2468 viewsArnieM

Interesting views on Town from the doctors on 16:30 - Mar 6 by unstableblue

1 Fulham
2 Reading
3 Huddersfield
4 Newcastle United
5 Norwich
6 Sheffield Wednesday
7 Derby
8 Brighton
9 Leeds
10 Brentford

19 Ipswich
20 Blackburn
21 Burton
22 Preston
23 Cardiff
24 Rotherham

Interesting that those tables have an uncanny parity to Club's spending.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Interesting views on Town from the doctors on 16:51 - Mar 6 with 2463 viewsblueislander

Interesting views on Town from the doctors on 16:46 - Mar 6 by The_Romford_Blue

But even in our playoff season we retell had more possession than the opposition

You have missed the point. You said "possession never won a football match" i contend that the team having more of the possession actually has resulted in them winning a match. What I am questioning is your use of hyperbole.
Interesting views on Town from the doctors on 16:54 - Mar 6 with 2435 viewsJ2BLUE

Interesting views on Town from the doctors on 16:51 - Mar 6 by blueislander

You have missed the point. You said "possession never won a football match" i contend that the team having more of the possession actually has resulted in them winning a match. What I am questioning is your use of hyperbole.

Name me one team that has been awarded the game after a draw based on possession?

Goals win games. Possession is like number of passes. A nice stat to look at but not the same as goals.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Interesting views on Town from the doctors on 16:56 - Mar 6 with 2422 viewsblueislander

Interesting views on Town from the doctors on 16:54 - Mar 6 by J2BLUE

Name me one team that has been awarded the game after a draw based on possession?

Goals win games. Possession is like number of passes. A nice stat to look at but not the same as goals.

You too have missed the point of my post.
Interesting views on Town from the doctors on 17:00 - Mar 6 with 2384 viewsclive_baker

You're lucky you didn't go to the hospital, last time I went I got James Coppinger's wife. She's livid about their ling distance relationship, she feels she jumped the gun slightly in taking that job in Ipswich. Not seen anyone that angry since I bumped into Alan Curbishley's gardener in Woodbridge, he reckons he hasn't been paid in years. Poor bloke.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Surely the main point made is lack of entertainment? on 17:02 - Mar 6 with 2370 viewsPendejo

Forget the possession arguments there have been successful possession based sides and there have been successful counter attacking sides... the more you win the more the fans will forgive.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Interesting views on Town from the doctors on 17:03 - Mar 6 with 2358 viewsnbsiyag

Interesting views on Town from the doctors on 16:30 - Mar 6 by unstableblue

1 Fulham
2 Reading
3 Huddersfield
4 Newcastle United
5 Norwich
6 Sheffield Wednesday
7 Derby
8 Brighton
9 Leeds
10 Brentford

19 Ipswich
20 Blackburn
21 Burton
22 Preston
23 Cardiff
24 Rotherham

Reading's position may be due to them liking to continually pass the ball around their back four in their own half. The others however are a fair reflection.
Interesting views on Town from the doctors on 17:05 - Mar 6 with 2352 viewsWickets

I think the stats from when we did get promoted would tell us that possession does get you promoted.
Interesting views on Town from the doctors on 17:08 - Mar 6 with 2301 viewsNo9

It isn't the manager or the players.
It's simly that the supporters don't understand what they are looking at
Interesting views on Town from the doctors on 17:08 - Mar 6 with 2292 viewsGeoffSentence

Interesting views on Town from the doctors on 16:54 - Mar 6 by J2BLUE

Indeed it's the old 'deserved to win' cobblers init.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Interesting views on Town from the doctors on 17:12 - Mar 6 with 2255 viewsVaughan8

This is correct. Next you will say "having more shots doesn't mean you will score more" which would be also true.

However, both surely must help though?

You could say when you have the ball the opposition can't score........!

We are low scorers as well I should imagine email which is a problem!
Interesting views on Town from the doctors on 19:24 - Mar 6 with 2071 viewsRegencyBlue

Interesting views on Town from the doctors on 16:51 - Mar 6 by ArnieM

Interesting that those tables have an uncanny parity to Club's spending.

You're not allowed to say that on here!
Interesting views on Town from the doctors on 19:45 - Mar 6 with 2006 viewspowinswitch

your comment about the sparsely occupied stands, when considering the impact of McCarthy's football style on our club, absolutely resonates with me. There are hundreds, nay thousands of lapsed Town fans who have given up on things due to the standard of entertainment over the tenure of the current manager. We all know that there are a significant number who have season tickets who are not coming to games now. There are a handful of games for the situation to be turned around, but alas I rather fear that our season ticket sales will be down to below 10,000 for next season. Perhaps significantly less than that number. i really hope that I am wrong, but those who feel that we will be in real trouble if McCarthy goes, well I rather feel we will be in even more serious trouble if he stays.
Interesting views on Town from the doctors on 20:30 - Mar 6 with 1839 viewsRyorry

Interesting views on Town from the doctors on 19:45 - Mar 6 by powinswitch

your comment about the sparsely occupied stands, when considering the impact of McCarthy's football style on our club, absolutely resonates with me. There are hundreds, nay thousands of lapsed Town fans who have given up on things due to the standard of entertainment over the tenure of the current manager. We all know that there are a significant number who have season tickets who are not coming to games now. There are a handful of games for the situation to be turned around, but alas I rather fear that our season ticket sales will be down to below 10,000 for next season. Perhaps significantly less than that number. i really hope that I am wrong, but those who feel that we will be in real trouble if McCarthy goes, well I rather feel we will be in even more serious trouble if he stays.

I do think that another manager could get us playing more attractive, entertaining, consistent & possibly even more points-acquiring football with the current squad. Not sure what might happen once current loans are ended, but whereas at one time I think players wanted to come here because of MM, I'm not so sure many do now.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Interesting views on Town from the doctors on 20:43 - Mar 6 with 1775 viewspowinswitch

Interesting views on Town from the doctors on 20:30 - Mar 6 by Ryorry

I do think that another manager could get us playing more attractive, entertaining, consistent & possibly even more points-acquiring football with the current squad. Not sure what might happen once current loans are ended, but whereas at one time I think players wanted to come here because of MM, I'm not so sure many do now.

As daft as it sounds, I am of the opinion that the performance is more important than the accumulation of points for a fair few games. After an incredible February where we gained many more points than many expected, at the start of the month at least, we are probably safe, or very close to it. The fans need to see a commitment to more expansive football than we were party to during 2016, and January 2017. Or at least many of the fans do. I accept that some are satisfied with things. I don't know why, but they are.
Interesting views on Town from the doctors on 23:12 - Mar 6 with 1581 viewsconnorscontract

Interesting views on Town from the doctors on 17:00 - Mar 6 by clive_baker

You're lucky you didn't go to the hospital, last time I went I got James Coppinger's wife. She's livid about their ling distance relationship, she feels she jumped the gun slightly in taking that job in Ipswich. Not seen anyone that angry since I bumped into Alan Curbishley's gardener in Woodbridge, he reckons he hasn't been paid in years. Poor bloke.

I've given you an uppie, and to be honest, it deserved more. Nice bit of TWTD call-back whimsy.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024