Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ok. Remember when McLaren was... 13:00 - Mar 25 with 7105 viewsFixed_It

...newly appointed at Derby and we were thrashing them at half-time? Then he came down from the stands and changed a few things round - to see them come steaming back in the second half.
There are many worse managers out there - and he was known for his attacking football at Boro. Personally, I'd rather keep Mick, but all you Mick outers should't be quite so dismissive of this link if you want exciting football.
[Post edited 25 Mar 2018 13:01]

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Ok. Remember when McLaren was... on 13:17 - Mar 25 with 5937 viewsDarth_Koont

Whoever comes in you have to give them a fair crack. I may have suspicions but I'd never take a position on an appointment until I could see what a manager does with Ipswich where for once I actually understand the context. In the same way, it's nigh on impossible to make a serious judgement based on what a manager has achieved at different clubs and completely different circumstances.

FWIW I think McClaren sounds a better option than many I've heard. A lot depends on whether things change off the field. If we don't get any more money then I'd argue we need someone with a lot of experience in squad management, rather than a young coach with alternative ideas that may or may not work.

Pronouns: He/Him

Ok. Remember when McLaren was... on 13:19 - Mar 25 with 5928 viewswkj

I remember that game as I was there, we were only thrashing them on the score sheet, they were really hard done by- that said games are not won by performance. That is the game I always refer to as the day we lost 4-4

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Ok. Remember when McLaren was... on 13:24 - Mar 25 with 5904 viewsFtnfwest

Ok. Remember when McLaren was... on 13:17 - Mar 25 by Darth_Koont

Whoever comes in you have to give them a fair crack. I may have suspicions but I'd never take a position on an appointment until I could see what a manager does with Ipswich where for once I actually understand the context. In the same way, it's nigh on impossible to make a serious judgement based on what a manager has achieved at different clubs and completely different circumstances.

FWIW I think McClaren sounds a better option than many I've heard. A lot depends on whether things change off the field. If we don't get any more money then I'd argue we need someone with a lot of experience in squad management, rather than a young coach with alternative ideas that may or may not work.

Whilst my preference has always been for 'the right type of young manager I agree with what you are saying within the current set up. There seems to be a continuing and yawning gap between whoever the manager happens to be at the time and the ownership. Evans needs someone either in the milne role, or as well as, who's more directly tuned into the footballing as well as management side of things.
Ok. Remember when McLaren was... on 13:27 - Mar 25 with 5886 viewsBackToRussia

Read another post that it would be "absurd" for an outer to welcome McLaren!

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Ok. Remember when McLaren was... on 13:30 - Mar 25 with 5864 viewsDarth_Koont

Ok. Remember when McLaren was... on 13:24 - Mar 25 by Ftnfwest

Whilst my preference has always been for 'the right type of young manager I agree with what you are saying within the current set up. There seems to be a continuing and yawning gap between whoever the manager happens to be at the time and the ownership. Evans needs someone either in the milne role, or as well as, who's more directly tuned into the footballing as well as management side of things.

Yeah, there's not just the money side and getting the most out of the squad, unless things change with Evans or Milne, the new manager will have to be the face of the club and shoulder the burden of communicating where we are.

That's going to be difficult for anyone who hasn't seen it all before and can take things in their stride.

Pronouns: He/Him

Ok. Remember when McLaren was... on 13:36 - Mar 25 with 5832 viewsFtnfwest

Ok. Remember when McLaren was... on 13:30 - Mar 25 by Darth_Koont

Yeah, there's not just the money side and getting the most out of the squad, unless things change with Evans or Milne, the new manager will have to be the face of the club and shoulder the burden of communicating where we are.

That's going to be difficult for anyone who hasn't seen it all before and can take things in their stride.

That's true. Thus far the appointments seem to be on the basis that it's a 'here you go, you have all the experience now go away and make everything successful' rather than providing in addition the support in other areas that would make that task more achievable
Ok. Remember when McLaren was... on 14:29 - Mar 25 with 5708 viewsmonty_radio

Ok. Remember when McLaren was... on 13:36 - Mar 25 by Ftnfwest

That's true. Thus far the appointments seem to be on the basis that it's a 'here you go, you have all the experience now go away and make everything successful' rather than providing in addition the support in other areas that would make that task more achievable

Agree that M.E. really needs that team of management if he himself is, as seems likely, to remain distant from the town and fans. In that respect, MacLaren might just fare a bit better as he has generally surrounded himself with stronger characters than our own T.C.

His record of one Eredivisie and one league Cup is not exactly a trumpet blast, but perhaps it's better that M.E. go that way than leave a new young manager marooned without the all-round knowledge to run the club from top to bottom. The current divide between M.M.'s first team mode of play and the way that the younger sides set up might just be something that an experienced guy with able lieutenants can address successfully.

Personally I feel that Mogga might be the man to unite these aspirations, but who really knows?

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Ok. Remember when McLaren was... on 14:58 - Mar 25 with 5629 viewsMullet

I've seen Neil Gregory score a hat trick and Paul Jewell win a game. You'll need better one offs than that I'm afraid.

"There are many worse managers out there" is totally correct and what a damning place to be yet again under Evans.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Login to get fewer ads

Ok. Remember when McLaren was... on 15:01 - Mar 25 with 5616 viewsRoyKeanesDog

Says more about Paul Jewell that.

Poll: Best Football Song

Ok. Remember when McLaren was... on 15:04 - Mar 25 with 5591 viewsSarge

Ok. Remember when McLaren was... on 15:01 - Mar 25 by RoyKeanesDog

Says more about Paul Jewell that.

Which is odd because Mick was the manager at the time.
Ok. Remember when McLaren was... on 15:15 - Mar 25 with 5544 viewsLord_Lucan

Ok. Remember when McLaren was... on 14:58 - Mar 25 by Mullet

I've seen Neil Gregory score a hat trick and Paul Jewell win a game. You'll need better one offs than that I'm afraid.

"There are many worse managers out there" is totally correct and what a damning place to be yet again under Evans.

It’s only speculation at the moment but who on earth do you consider a much better bet for a downtrodden championship club than an ex England manager who also won the league in Holland.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Ok. Remember when McLaren was... on 15:18 - Mar 25 with 5523 viewsMullet

Ok. Remember when McLaren was... on 15:15 - Mar 25 by Lord_Lucan

It’s only speculation at the moment but who on earth do you consider a much better bet for a downtrodden championship club than an ex England manager who also won the league in Holland.

"is totally correct"

Ok. Remember when McLaren was... on 15:53 - Mar 25 with 5465 viewstractordownsouth

The fact that he's a complete Kn0b is my main concern

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Ok. Remember when McLaren was... on 15:55 - Mar 25 with 5454 viewsLord_Lucan

Ok. Remember when McLaren was... on 15:53 - Mar 25 by tractordownsouth

I suspect you don’t actually know him.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Ok. Remember when McLaren was... on 15:58 - Mar 25 with 5430 viewsstrikalite

I don't quite get the "he was known for his attacking football at Boro, personally I'd rather keep Mick"...:)
Ok. Remember when McLaren was... on 16:02 - Mar 25 with 5424 viewsconnorscontract

Ok. Remember when McLaren was... on 15:15 - Mar 25 by Lord_Lucan

McLaren would be a remarkably good appointment, all things considered.

Hopefully he will be able to bring through 3 or 4 potential future England players. The ability to do that is something that I would put high on the list, not just because of the reality of our financial situation, but because we seem to have a rare abundance of riches at the moment.

Biggest Priorities for me:

Attractive football
Desire to rebuild the relationship with the fans
Ability and willingness to develop and bring into the First Team the best talent from the Academy

Then:
Ability to maintain a good spirit within the squad
Ability to wheel and deal

Then:
Results

To be fair to Mick he has provided the bottom four of those to a greater or lesser extent, but he has completely sacrificed attacking football, and his comments from the very beginning show that he had no interest in a relationship with the fans.
Ok. Remember when McLaren was... on 16:09 - Mar 25 with 5404 viewsHennikerBlu

Ok. Remember when McLaren was... on 15:53 - Mar 25 by tractordownsouth

For the Dutch accent? The wally with brolly? Or his apathetic interviews?

Much of the above has been taken out of proportion by the press. I am not bothered that he does not particularly do press conferences well, better than over reacting and hacking people off.

I would agree with Darth's view it is likely to remain a unsupported role and therefore ME is likely to go with an experienced manager. As Lucan points out his CV has some highlights, plus he has a better win ratio than MM and Tony Mowbray. He actually comes across well in an interview.
[Post edited 25 Mar 2018 16:10]
Ok. Remember when McLaren was... on 16:18 - Mar 25 with 5375 viewsLord_Lucan

Ok. Remember when McLaren was... on 16:09 - Mar 25 by HennikerBlu

Much of the above has been taken out of proportion by the press. I am not bothered that he does not particularly do press conferences well, better than over reacting and hacking people off.

I would agree with Darth's view it is likely to remain a unsupported role and therefore ME is likely to go with an experienced manager. As Lucan points out his CV has some highlights, plus he has a better win ratio than MM and Tony Mowbray. He actually comes across well in an interview.

Didn’t Joey Barton do a similar interview when in France?

Must admit if I’m abroad I instantly mimick the local accent without thinking or realising it. It drives my Wife mad.

Ok. Remember when McLaren was... on 16:22 - Mar 25 with 5356 viewsconnorscontract

Ok. Remember when McLaren was... on 16:09 - Mar 25 by HennikerBlu

And besides, who hasn't schlipped into a bit of a Dutsssch accshent over an Americano and a Brownie in an Amsterdam coffee shop? Totally understandable.

The brolly thing was the closest thing that the press have ever had to a literal stick to beat an England manager with. If he hadn't used an umbrella the headline would have been "Drowned and Out" or "What a drip" or somesuch.
Ok. Remember when McLaren was... on 16:26 - Mar 25 with 5335 viewsBackToRussia

Ok. Remember when McLaren was... on 16:22 - Mar 25 by connorscontract

And besides, who hasn't schlipped into a bit of a Dutsssch accshent over an Americano and a Brownie in an Amsterdam coffee shop? Totally understandable.

The brolly thing was the closest thing that the press have ever had to a literal stick to beat an England manager with. If he hadn't used an umbrella the headline would have been "Drowned and Out" or "What a drip" or somesuch.

Reminds one of Graham Taylor's hounding out of the England job. And then the respect paid to him later in life as a good football manager and decent man.

I think he could do well here, and certainly, if we are a club as so many pro-MM posters like to focus on, that is funded to the level of 18th or below, we have to start thinking that attracting someone of McLaren's calibre would be a bit of a coup. I think McLaren probably wants a bigger budget than we would give him though.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Ok. Remember when McLaren was... on 16:27 - Mar 25 with 5328 viewsNewcyBlue

Ok. Remember when McLaren was... on 16:18 - Mar 25 by Lord_Lucan

Didn’t Joey Barton do a similar interview when in France?

Must admit if I’m abroad I instantly mimick the local accent without thinking or realising it. It drives my Wife mad.

Your trips to China must be hilarious!

Harrrrroowwww, I am Rucan.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Ok. Remember when McLaren was... on 16:29 - Mar 25 with 5315 viewsLord_Lucan

Ok. Remember when McLaren was... on 16:26 - Mar 25 by BackToRussia

Reminds one of Graham Taylor's hounding out of the England job. And then the respect paid to him later in life as a good football manager and decent man.

I think he could do well here, and certainly, if we are a club as so many pro-MM posters like to focus on, that is funded to the level of 18th or below, we have to start thinking that attracting someone of McLaren's calibre would be a bit of a coup. I think McLaren probably wants a bigger budget than we would give him though.

The press also crucified SBR when he was England manager.

They are evil. Playing with peoples lives.

Ok. Remember when McLaren was... on 16:30 - Mar 25 with 5308 viewsMullet

Ok. Remember when McLaren was... on 16:26 - Mar 25 by BackToRussia

Your last paragraph is spot on. The biggest selling point of McLaren for me would be him working on Downes, Nydam and Dozzell as well as the others closer in age.

For all the circus he has a Klug-like track record in that department and if he was to build a team with any core of players it'd be them. But I can't imagine we'd keep the senior players necessarily, which depletes the squad and then replace them with similar calibre on those wages, which depletes his budget further.

Ok. Remember when McLaren was... on 16:32 - Mar 25 with 5297 viewsBackToRussia

Ok. Remember when McLaren was... on 16:29 - Mar 25 by Lord_Lucan

The press also crucified SBR when he was England manager.

They are evil. Playing with peoples lives.

It is disgusting. To try to ruin someone's life effectively over football.

If it happened in any other context it'd be looked at for what it is, bullying and harassment.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Ok. Remember when McLaren was... on 16:38 - Mar 25 with 5279 viewsLord_Lucan

Ok. Remember when McLaren was... on 16:32 - Mar 25 by BackToRussia

It is disgusting. To try to ruin someone's life effectively over football.

If it happened in any other context it'd be looked at for what it is, bullying and harassment.

Imagine it being a close family member. It really is sickening.

When SBR got his life award think on SPOTY I would have loved it if he had reminded the media what bastards they were.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024