Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Nice bit of hypocracy by the Tory brexit lot 08:15 - Dec 13 with 5036 viewsKeno

A vote with a 52% of those who voted is the absolute unshakeable eternal will of the people

A vote with a 63% of all eligible votes is something to be ignored cos we don’t like it

Prince Philip summed it up nicely on Twitter this morning

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Nice bit of hypocracy by the Tory brexit lot on 08:37 - Dec 13 with 4554 viewsHerbivore

It's almost like they are slimy, self-serving toads who don't really care about democracy unless it delivers the result they want. They, like many current and former Tory party members, are just deeply dishonest and have no integrity.
[Post edited 13 Dec 2018 8:42]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Nice bit of hypocracy by the Tory brexit lot on 08:41 - Dec 13 with 4546 viewsjjblue84

The precedent of one says you implement it and the precedent of the other says you should resign...
Nice bit of hypocracy by the Tory brexit lot on 08:47 - Dec 13 with 4518 viewsOldsmoker

One could argue that one vote was made by the British people and the other by... well what do you call a load of back-stabbing, immoral, spineless cretins? They've shown no values associated with decent folk.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Nice bit of hypocracy by the Tory brexit lot on 08:51 - Dec 13 with 4495 viewsStokieBlue

Nice bit of hypocracy by the Tory brexit lot on 08:47 - Dec 13 by Oldsmoker

One could argue that one vote was made by the British people and the other by... well what do you call a load of back-stabbing, immoral, spineless cretins? They've shown no values associated with decent folk.

Can't disagree with your assessment of the Tories but I assume you'll agree all the same adjectives apply to the Labour MPs given they also had a no confidence vote?

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Nice bit of hypocracy by the Tory brexit lot on 08:53 - Dec 13 with 4493 viewsbluelagos

Thank heavens there are no parties that would jump into coalition with them at the first opportunity. :-)

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Nice bit of hypocracy by the Tory brexit lot on 08:56 - Dec 13 with 4478 viewsSwansea_Blue

Nice bit of hypocracy by the Tory brexit lot on 08:51 - Dec 13 by StokieBlue

Can't disagree with your assessment of the Tories but I assume you'll agree all the same adjectives apply to the Labour MPs given they also had a no confidence vote?

SB

Did they?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Nice bit of hypocracy by the Tory brexit lot on 08:56 - Dec 13 with 4478 viewsKeno

Nice bit of hypocracy by the Tory brexit lot on 08:53 - Dec 13 by bluelagos

Thank heavens there are no parties that would jump into coalition with them at the first opportunity. :-)

Tho had the coalition carried on we wouldn’t be in the mess we are now

Nice bit of hypocracy by the Tory brexit lot on 08:59 - Dec 13 with 4465 viewschicoazul

SB

I do wonder if, had the Tories been run the same way Labour is now run thanks to Ed Milliband's mad decisions, T May would have been returned with an even bigger majority. Feels like a lot of Tory members have come to admire her qualities greatly in the last 6 months or so.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Login to get fewer ads

Nice bit of hypocracy by the Tory brexit lot on 08:59 - Dec 13 with 4465 viewsbluelagos

Nice bit of hypocracy by the Tory brexit lot on 08:56 - Dec 13 by Keno

Tho had the coalition carried on we wouldn’t be in the mess we are now

If my memory is correct, the Libs were the first main party to advocate a referendum on Europe...

You suggesting your Brexit would be a fluffy one Keno?

Nice bit of hypocracy by the Tory brexit lot on 09:02 - Dec 13 with 4458 viewsKeno

Nice bit of hypocracy by the Tory brexit lot on 08:59 - Dec 13 by bluelagos

If my memory is correct, the Libs were the first main party to advocate a referendum on Europe...

You suggesting your Brexit would be a fluffy one Keno?

No just an honest decent debate focusing on the real issues

I’m still waiting for my hospital I was promised

Nice bit of hypocracy by the Tory brexit lot on 09:02 - Dec 13 with 4464 viewsfactual_blue

I'm also puzzled about why Cardinal moggy happily obeys the diktats of an autocrat in Rome who seeks to rule the lives of billons, but objects to a democratic institution like the EU (and it is - despite what the hardcore loons like Cardinal muggy try to tell us)
[Post edited 13 Dec 2018 9:02]

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Nice bit of hypocracy by the Tory brexit lot on 09:07 - Dec 13 with 4446 viewsOldsmoker

SB

My thoughts are with the person who said that anyone who wants to be a politician should be barred from standing for Parliament.
However, my MP is Kerry McCarthy and she spends more time in the constituency than Westminster, rattling every local organisations cage who steps out of line so I have no complaints. I for one have a decent MP who supports her voters not the faceless organisations who feed on the people.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Nice bit of hypocracy by the Tory brexit lot on 09:07 - Dec 13 with 4446 viewsbluelagos

Nice bit of hypocracy by the Tory brexit lot on 09:02 - Dec 13 by Keno

No just an honest decent debate focusing on the real issues

I’m still waiting for my hospital I was promised

Opinion in the Sunday Times had Nick Boles / Stephen Kinnock state (I paraphrase) that a "Soft Brexit is the only option that fully honours the referendum result"

Thought that was spot on and it begs the question why a Norway type Brexit couldn't have been agreed in a matter of weeks.

Nice bit of hypocracy by the Tory brexit lot on 09:15 - Dec 13 with 4422 viewsGuthrum

Nice bit of hypocracy by the Tory brexit lot on 08:41 - Dec 13 by jjblue84

The precedent of one says you implement it and the precedent of the other says you should resign...

There is only one precedent for this kind of No Confidence vote by the party against a Tory leader. In 2003 Iain Duncan Smith lost the ballot and so resigned. There is none for a resignation following a sizeable victory.

If you're thinking of the second challenge to Thatcher's leadership, in 1990, her first-round win was by a considerably smaller margin than May achieved last night and was technically different as it would have necessitated a second round of voting.

Thatcher won the leadership challenge in 1989 and stayed. Major did the same in 1995 (with a not much bigger percentage than yesterday). Heath lost in 1975, so did step down.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Nice bit of hypocracy by the Tory brexit lot on 09:23 - Dec 13 with 4390 viewsLord_Lucan

Nice bit of hypocracy by the Tory brexit lot on 08:56 - Dec 13 by Swansea_Blue

Did they?

Corbyn lost a no confidence vote by 172-40 but ignored it.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Nice bit of hypocracy by the Tory brexit lot on 09:30 - Dec 13 with 4375 viewsSwansea_Blue

Nice bit of hypocracy by the Tory brexit lot on 09:23 - Dec 13 by Lord_Lucan

Corbyn lost a no confidence vote by 172-40 but ignored it.

Ah sorry, I misunderstood. Thought someone was saying the Labour bunch were involved last night.

If Corbyn didn't resign after he lost a no confidence vote, surely may should resign after winning one! 🙃

Nice bit of hypocracy by the Tory brexit lot on 09:30 - Dec 13 with 4377 viewsGuthrum

Nice bit of hypocracy by the Tory brexit lot on 08:53 - Dec 13 by bluelagos

Now I don't have a problem with that, as the LibDems in coalition were able to counterbalance the excesses of the Conservative right. The ERG types were a lot less noisy when they had 57 centre-left MPs leaning in the other direction.

Nice bit of hypocracy by the Tory brexit lot on 09:30 - Dec 13 with 4375 viewsKeno

Nice bit of hypocracy by the Tory brexit lot on 09:07 - Dec 13 by bluelagos

Opinion in the Sunday Times had Nick Boles / Stephen Kinnock state (I paraphrase) that a "Soft Brexit is the only option that fully honours the referendum result"

Thought that was spot on and it begs the question why a Norway type Brexit couldn't have been agreed in a matter of weeks.

totally agree with that

Nice bit of hypocracy by the Tory brexit lot on 09:42 - Dec 13 with 4349 viewsSwansea_Blue

Nice bit of hypocracy by the Tory brexit lot on 09:30 - Dec 13 by Guthrum

Now I don't have a problem with that, as the LibDems in coalition were able to counterbalance the excesses of the Conservative right. The ERG types were a lot less noisy when they had 57 centre-left MPs leaning in the other direction.

Very true. And not just on issues related to Brexit, but on matters of the social state, environment, etc. The Lib Dems probably don't get the credit they deserve for their sacrifice!

Nice bit of hypocracy by the Tory brexit lot on 09:49 - Dec 13 with 4328 viewsGlasgowBlue

Nice bit of hypocracy by the Tory brexit lot on 09:30 - Dec 13 by Guthrum

It’s said that Cameron preferred being in coalition with the Lib Dem’s than having his own majority.

He certainly had more in common politically with people like Nick Clegg and David Laws than he did people like Rees Mogg and Bill Cash.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Nice bit of hypocracy by the Tory brexit lot on 09:49 - Dec 13 with 4326 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Nice bit of hypocracy by the Tory brexit lot on 09:07 - Dec 13 by Oldsmoker

My thoughts are with the person who said that anyone who wants to be a politician should be barred from standing for Parliament.
However, my MP is Kerry McCarthy and she spends more time in the constituency than Westminster, rattling every local organisations cage who steps out of line so I have no complaints. I for one have a decent MP who supports her voters not the faceless organisations who feed on the people.

So what you are essentially saying is that she will either change or disappear imminently? Is that not what happens with every MP whose heart is in it for the right reasons?

She will progress until she reaches that junction. One way is to become one of them - a self serving toad like someone else on the threat said. The other direction is to continue to fight the good fight, never getting anywhere because the self serving toads won't let you.

I've met a lot of really decent local MP's in my time and none of them get anywhere. The ones you instantly dislike and see through as only in it for themselves not their constituents end up in positions of power some years later.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Nice bit of hypocracy by the Tory brexit lot on 10:09 - Dec 13 with 4262 viewsjjblue84

Nice bit of hypocracy by the Tory brexit lot on 09:15 - Dec 13 by Guthrum

There is only one precedent for this kind of No Confidence vote by the party against a Tory leader. In 2003 Iain Duncan Smith lost the ballot and so resigned. There is none for a resignation following a sizeable victory.

If you're thinking of the second challenge to Thatcher's leadership, in 1990, her first-round win was by a considerably smaller margin than May achieved last night and was technically different as it would have necessitated a second round of voting.

Thatcher won the leadership challenge in 1989 and stayed. Major did the same in 1995 (with a not much bigger percentage than yesterday). Heath lost in 1975, so did step down.

I’m thinking of prime ministers proving that they are lame ducks...
Nice bit of hypocracy by the Tory brexit lot on 11:26 - Dec 13 with 4177 viewsGuthrum

Nice bit of hypocracy by the Tory brexit lot on 10:09 - Dec 13 by jjblue84

I’m thinking of prime ministers proving that they are lame ducks...

She isn't even really that.

In any other area of legislation, I doubt May would have any difficulty in getting a Parliamentary majority. Indeed, there is a fair likelihood (partly for reasons beyond anyone's control) that she would win - or, at least, not lose - the next General Election.

She is having trouble getting one, extremely tricky, vote through Parliament. That is the sole cause of this rebellion, by people who are ideologically opposed to her (or almost any other) proposed solution.

Nice bit of hypocracy by the Tory brexit lot on 11:41 - Dec 13 with 4149 viewsgiant_stow

Nice bit of hypocracy by the Tory brexit lot on 09:49 - Dec 13 by GlasgowBlue

It’s said that Cameron preferred being in coalition with the Lib Dem’s than having his own majority.

He certainly had more in common politically with people like Nick Clegg and David Laws than he did people like Rees Mogg and Bill Cash.

The liberals will be judged more kindly in time - they helped save this country at a crucial time. Now they're gone, look whats happened.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Nice bit of hypocracy by the Tory brexit lot on 11:47 - Dec 13 with 4123 viewsGeoffSentence

Nice bit of hypocracy by the Tory brexit lot on 08:47 - Dec 13 by Oldsmoker

I was watching some analysis of the confidence vote yesterday, before it took place, they were trying to work out if May had the numbers she needed or not and one of the analysts was making the point that it was hard to be sure because "it's a vote by tories, of course they lie, they enjoy lying"

I know this was in the context of an internal vote, but it summed up the tories for me rather nicely.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024