Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
‘Playing Infront of 8000 fans at home in league 1’ 16:11 - Jan 2 with 8774 viewstextbackup

a phrase I’m seeing more and more of on here or twitter.

Now tell me, I get if you had a ST or attended weekly in the prem and the team dropped to the championship there would be many not fussed about renewing, purely because they were there for the opposition... however ditching your team after 17 years of championship football because league 1 isn’t an attractive prospect?

Who on here wouldn’t renew based on league alonebe honest...

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

‘Playing Infront of 8000 fans at home in league 1’ on 16:20 - Jan 2 with 5594 viewsBurwell_Blue

On the turn of a coin, when we are relegated I will be purchasing three seasons tickets after years of not bothering.

Proper prices, proper wages, good old days.
‘Playing Infront of 8000 fans at home in league 1’ on 16:22 - Jan 2 with 5570 viewsFtnfwest

Don't think crowds would change overly. Although if we're still plummeting this time next year then clearly they would.
‘Playing Infront of 8000 fans at home in league 1’ on 16:25 - Jan 2 with 5546 viewsgeg1992

I'll definitely renew without question, and I think many would too.

It seems we are down to the 'hardcore' support so I can't imagine crowds would drop a huge amount.

If it weren't for the financial problems that relegation is likely to result in, it would be quite an exciting prospect. New grounds, a chance of being competitive and proper football, as the Championship is quickly turning into a money pit, just like the Premierleague.

Poll: Who would you play in place of Burns on Sunday?

‘Playing Infront of 8000 fans at home in league 1’ on 16:25 - Jan 2 with 5530 viewsReuser_is_God

I think a lot will depend on how it's priced & if Lambert is still here.

I'll renew.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

‘Playing Infront of 8000 fans at home in league 1’ on 16:25 - Jan 2 with 5532 viewsEwan_Oozami

Had an ST since moving up here in 98 - will renew whatever league we are in.

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

I assume that some people would be interested in...... on 16:28 - Jan 2 with 5518 viewsBloots

....the quality of the football.

I love watching Championship football, in many ways I prefer it to the Prem.

You get more passion, commitment and desire but you still retain a lot of the quality, and you get to see your team try and compete with these teams on a weekly basis.

There is little quality football on display in the 3rd Division, very few "scalps" for a club like ours. No opportunities to go to places like Elland Road, Villa Park and Bramall Lane and get a result.

Life in the 3rd Division will be crap and all the "fans" who said they'd rather go down than have MM as our manager can go f*ck themselves.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

‘Playing Infront of 8000 fans at home in league 1’ on 16:33 - Jan 2 with 5476 viewsJDB23

Think the pricing could play a big part. I had a look at Sunderlands renewal price in League 1 and their cheapest adult is £310. Our was £380 this year wasn't it?
‘Playing Infront of 8000 fans at home in league 1’ on 16:34 - Jan 2 with 5450 viewsReuser_is_God

‘Playing Infront of 8000 fans at home in league 1’ on 16:33 - Jan 2 by JDB23

Think the pricing could play a big part. I had a look at Sunderlands renewal price in League 1 and their cheapest adult is £310. Our was £380 this year wasn't it?

Yeah £380 in lower tiers.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Login to get fewer ads

‘Playing Infront of 8000 fans at home in league 1’ on 16:48 - Jan 2 with 5366 viewsstrikalite

‘Playing Infront of 8000 fans at home in league 1’ on 16:33 - Jan 2 by JDB23

It's the bloody match day prices they need to drop, ST prices are as good as anywhere I'd have thought..
‘Playing Infront of 8000 fans at home in league 1’ on 16:49 - Jan 2 with 5350 viewsJackSted

I honestly don't think attendance will be an issue.

Maybe for the first month or so, yes. But if we're top of the league dominating games then I'm pretty sure there'll be more than 8000 at times.

TWTD Supervillain
Poll: Is Lambert the right man for the job?

I assume that some people would be interested in...... on 17:06 - Jan 2 with 5235 viewstextbackup

I assume that some people would be interested in...... on 16:28 - Jan 2 by Bloots

....the quality of the football.

I love watching Championship football, in many ways I prefer it to the Prem.

You get more passion, commitment and desire but you still retain a lot of the quality, and you get to see your team try and compete with these teams on a weekly basis.

There is little quality football on display in the 3rd Division, very few "scalps" for a club like ours. No opportunities to go to places like Elland Road, Villa Park and Bramall Lane and get a result.

Life in the 3rd Division will be crap and all the "fans" who said they'd rather go down than have MM as our manager can go f*ck themselves.

So you won’t renew?

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

‘Playing Infront of 8000 fans at home in league 1’ on 17:09 - Jan 2 with 5216 viewsSitfcB

I’ve always said our fans don’t have the right mentality for relegation.

Many won’t bother attending.

Look at Leeds and Norwich for example, full houses every week even in league 1.

I bet the people that say ‘we will bounce straight back’ are the ones that won’t bother to attend home games at least.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

‘Playing Infront of 8000 fans at home in league 1’ on 17:18 - Jan 2 with 5153 viewsBluefish

A lot seem to be revelling in it all. Very bizarre

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

‘Playing Infront of 8000 fans at home in league 1’ on 17:19 - Jan 2 with 5154 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

All depends on results.

Look at Sunderlands attendances over the festive period.

46,000 at home. 7,500 away at Blackpool.

IF we were consistently winning matches in L1, more people would watch than in our current predicament.

Of course, if we continue losing matches, we'll continue losing fans.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

‘Playing Infront of 8000 fans at home in league 1’ on 17:26 - Jan 2 with 5089 viewsJ4ck22

If I could afford to and still lived near, then I'd definitely get a season ticket.
‘Playing Infront of 8000 fans at home in league 1’ on 17:32 - Jan 2 with 5056 viewstractorboy7777

‘Playing Infront of 8000 fans at home in league 1’ on 16:48 - Jan 2 by strikalite

It's the bloody match day prices they need to drop, ST prices are as good as anywhere I'd have thought..

I disagree, season tickets in league 1 should not be any more than £350. £300 lower tier and £350 upper. Works out as £13 and £15.20 er game respectively
[Post edited 2 Jan 2019 17:33]

Poll: If ticket prices were the same in SBR upper and lower, where would you choose?

‘Playing Infront of 8000 fans at home in league 1’ on 17:47 - Jan 2 with 4984 viewsLimitlessBlue

‘Playing Infront of 8000 fans at home in league 1’ on 16:20 - Jan 2 by Burwell_Blue

On the turn of a coin, when we are relegated I will be purchasing three seasons tickets after years of not bothering.

Proper prices, proper wages, good old days.

thank you for your valued support.

Poll: So 2 wins out of 2 are you now.....

‘Playing Infront of 8000 fans at home in league 1’ on 17:52 - Jan 2 with 4940 viewsChocorange

‘Playing Infront of 8000 fans at home in league 1’ on 17:19 - Jan 2 by Marshalls_Mullet

All depends on results.

IF we were consistently winning matches in L1, more people would watch than in our current predicament.

One difference is the amount of away fans, most teams will bring 400-500 , midweek games much lower will mean less of an atmosphere....

As for home fans , a look at the 3 relegated teams from last season and comparing the average for 2017/8 versus the average for 2018/9 to date shows the following.

Sunderland plus 14% on last season.
Barnsley Minus 13%
Burton Minus 29%

Barnsley have a slightly smaller but similar size crowd of the 3 to us and are also currently in the play off places, so I would suggest with a top 6 season , we would see a drop off of about 10% , as the away fans make less of a difference in % terms , the more home fans there are.
This is why Burton's difference is so big, the away fans are a much bigger proportion of their total gate due to low home following, where as at Sunderland the away fans are a much smaller % and there is a bigger fan base to negate the effect of lower away following.

As others have said , the ticket price will have a bearing too, but the season ticket price and on the day gate price will both have to reduce by similar % amounts to avoid lots of season ticket holders walking away and becoming turn up when they feel like it fans.

Currently we are at 17342 average this season versus 16271 last season. 10 % drop next season would put us in the region of 15600 on current figures.
‘Playing Infront of 8000 fans at home in league 1’ on 17:54 - Jan 2 with 4919 viewsFreddies_Ears

I would definitely renew. It's Ipswich Town, innit? And there would be some great away days too.
‘Playing Infront of 8000 fans at home in league 1’ on 17:57 - Jan 2 with 4898 viewsbournemouthblue

‘Playing Infront of 8000 fans at home in league 1’ on 16:22 - Jan 2 by Ftnfwest

Don't think crowds would change overly. Although if we're still plummeting this time next year then clearly they would.

They've basically dropped 1k a season ever since 2006

League One isn't going to be anymore palletable even with more competitive pricing

I dread to think what the Checkatrade Trophy Crowds will be like

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

‘Playing Infront of 8000 fans at home in league 1’ on 18:10 - Jan 2 with 4857 viewsPinewoodblue

‘Playing Infront of 8000 fans at home in league 1’ on 17:09 - Jan 2 by SitfcB

I’ve always said our fans don’t have the right mentality for relegation.

Many won’t bother attending.

Look at Leeds and Norwich for example, full houses every week even in league 1.

I bet the people that say ‘we will bounce straight back’ are the ones that won’t bother to attend home games at least.

Fake news. Leeds had 13,000 plus empty seats in Div1. At one point they closed the upper tier of the main stand.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

‘Playing Infront of 8000 fans at home in league 1’ on 18:34 - Jan 2 with 4768 viewsgt81

‘Playing Infront of 8000 fans at home in league 1’ on 17:19 - Jan 2 by Marshalls_Mullet

All depends on results.

Sunderland's average attendance this season is 31,536 which is 64.4% of their 49,000 capacity.

League One football isn't a big draw even in a die hard working class City expecting promotion.
‘Playing Infront of 8000 fans at home in league 1’ on 18:39 - Jan 2 with 4735 viewsFtnfwest

‘Playing Infront of 8000 fans at home in league 1’ on 17:57 - Jan 2 by bournemouthblue

They've basically dropped 1k a season ever since 2006

League One isn't going to be anymore palletable even with more competitive pricing

I dread to think what the Checkatrade Trophy Crowds will be like

Indeed, mind you they’ve gone up a bit this season, can’t think why.......
‘Playing Infront of 8000 fans at home in league 1’ on 18:45 - Jan 2 with 4699 viewsgt81

‘Playing Infront of 8000 fans at home in league 1’ on 18:39 - Jan 2 by Ftnfwest

Indeed, mind you they’ve gone up a bit this season, can’t think why.......

It was fuelled by a sense of optimism over a new regime. Nobody could have foreseen how misplaced it was but I suspect next season will be different.
I'll renew, yes..... on 19:03 - Jan 2 with 4614 viewsBloots

I assume that some people would be interested in...... on 17:06 - Jan 2 by textbackup

So you won’t renew?

....because going to football is what I do on Saturdays.

But I won't pretend that it's a great thing to be relegated to the 3rd Division.

There are absolutely no positives to it.

It'll be interesting to see how many "fans" that were frothing at the mouth about finishing mid table in the Championship bother turning up though.

Not many have come rushing back since MM left, despite saying they would.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024