Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
matt clarke mate 20:57 - May 11 with 6467 viewstextbackup

decent int he....

what a fck up by us

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

matt clarke mate on 21:07 - May 11 with 5721 viewsMelford

We did get Webster out of it though who is looking like a class act. Flogging him to Bristol City was the first nail in this season's coffin.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

matt clarke mate on 21:13 - May 11 with 5689 viewsKeaneish

His contract is up this summer. I wonder...

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

matt clarke mate on 21:15 - May 11 with 5678 viewsPrideOfTheEast

matt clarke mate on 21:13 - May 11 by Keaneish

No it isn’t
matt clarke mate on 21:16 - May 11 with 5667 viewsle2blue

Another year to run and interesting Leeds by all accounts. Such a shame we let him go.
matt clarke mate on 21:16 - May 11 with 5669 viewstextbackup

matt clarke mate on 21:07 - May 11 by Melford

We did get Webster out of it though who is looking like a class act. Flogging him to Bristol City was the first nail in this season's coffin.

he knew from the off that PH and DD were gonna be a mess

matt clarke mate on 21:17 - May 11 with 5665 viewstextbackup

if he doesn't go up with pompy he'll get snapped up by a high end champ team, if not lower end prem

matt clarke mate on 21:18 - May 11 with 5656 viewsKeaneish

matt clarke mate on 21:16 - May 11 by le2blue

Another year to run and interesting Leeds by all accounts. Such a shame we let him go.

Ah. Thought they said it was up.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

matt clarke mate on 22:16 - May 11 with 5441 views3_5_2

matt clarke mate on 21:07 - May 11 by Melford

so a double feck up by us then?

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

Login to get fewer ads

matt clarke mate on 23:13 - May 11 with 5324 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Don't get this sort of post to be honest. Misrepresentation of the truth. Webster is by a country mile the better of the two and we basically got a brilliant deal on him by using Clarke as part of the deal. A million times over it was the right thing to do. more annoying was the selling of Webster. This is actually slating a tough decision but the right decision deal to make. Portsmouth were not for selling without Clarke in the deal who had been on loan!

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

matt clarke mate on 01:02 - May 12 with 5199 viewspointofblue

If you want to criticise a sale of a centre back by McCarthy then Smith might be a better starting point than Clarke, considering we got Webster in return for the latter.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

matt clarke mate on 01:15 - May 12 with 5184 viewsMrTown

Hard to say that because we got Webster in return.

The true problem was selling Webster for such a minimal fee.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

matt clarke mate on 01:30 - May 12 with 5174 viewscatch74

matt clarke mate on 01:15 - May 12 by MrTown

Was Pitman included in the deal? Love to know the figures involved. I just wonder if an extra season loan would have been a more sensible option than selling (hindsight and all that. )
With the stance we’re taking now, promoting our youth, it seems a real shame he left.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

matt clarke mate on 07:03 - May 12 with 5051 viewsPendejo

matt clarke mate on 01:02 - May 12 by pointofblue

If you want to criticise a sale of a centre back by McCarthy then Smith might be a better starting point than Clarke, considering we got Webster in return for the latter.

Especially as Smith was a threat in opposition box.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

matt clarke mate on 08:09 - May 12 with 4942 viewsHerbivore

matt clarke mate on 01:15 - May 12 by MrTown

With add ons the Webster deal is £8m+, I wouldn't call that a small fee.

On the OP, when we let Clarke go he was behind Smith and Berra as a left-sided CB. We needed Webster more. We've got a 20% sell on so there's every chance we'll get upwards of another £1m for him if Pompey don't go up.
[Post edited 12 May 2019 12:23]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

matt clarke mate on 10:26 - May 12 with 4761 viewsCheltenham_Blue

matt clarke mate on 01:30 - May 12 by catch74

Was Pitman included in the deal? Love to know the figures involved. I just wonder if an extra season loan would have been a more sensible option than selling (hindsight and all that. )
With the stance we’re taking now, promoting our youth, it seems a real shame he left.

Pitman was released on a free by Mick, allegedly to free up wages.
Wrongly in my opinion.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

matt clarke mate on 10:33 - May 12 with 4743 viewscbower

matt clarke mate on 10:26 - May 12 by Cheltenham_Blue

Pitman was released on a free by Mick, allegedly to free up wages.
Wrongly in my opinion.

Error to sell Clarke then let Webster go so soon for a relatively low fee. As for Pitman, imo he was a bad egg who sulked and played for Brett Pitman. Our problem was, and still is, we let players go and patently fail to replace them with quality. See Toto for Webster.

bluescouser

matt clarke mate on 12:25 - May 12 with 4643 viewsHerbivore

matt clarke mate on 10:33 - May 12 by cbower

Error to sell Clarke then let Webster go so soon for a relatively low fee. As for Pitman, imo he was a bad egg who sulked and played for Brett Pitman. Our problem was, and still is, we let players go and patently fail to replace them with quality. See Toto for Webster.

Webster was with us for 2 years after Clarke left as part of the deal to sign him. We could well end up with over £8m for Webster, I wouldn't call that a relatively small fee. It could be a lot more too if Brizzle sell him for good money as I'm sure we'll have a sell on too.

matt clarke mate on 13:25 - May 12 with 4586 viewscbower

matt clarke mate on 12:25 - May 12 by Herbivore

Webster was with us for 2 years after Clarke left as part of the deal to sign him. We could well end up with over £8m for Webster, I wouldn't call that a relatively small fee. It could be a lot more too if Brizzle sell him for good money as I'm sure we'll have a sell on too.

If that fee is fact, then I stand corrected in that regard. However, by the time of the sale, Smith was also long gone and we suddenly became wafer thin at cb. We only limped to the end of that season with the not inconsiderable help of Carter-Vickers. The timing was poor, the replacement took an eternity and is of dubious quality. The prospect of up to 8 million added to Waghorn and Garner sales somehow makes our purchases last summer look even poorer ( if that is possible!!!) Tearing out the spine of a team is simply non-sensical. Especially when you intend to replace it with untried at championship level journeymen.

bluescouser

matt clarke mate on 13:30 - May 12 with 4576 viewsHerbivore

matt clarke mate on 13:25 - May 12 by cbower

If that fee is fact, then I stand corrected in that regard. However, by the time of the sale, Smith was also long gone and we suddenly became wafer thin at cb. We only limped to the end of that season with the not inconsiderable help of Carter-Vickers. The timing was poor, the replacement took an eternity and is of dubious quality. The prospect of up to 8 million added to Waghorn and Garner sales somehow makes our purchases last summer look even poorer ( if that is possible!!!) Tearing out the spine of a team is simply non-sensical. Especially when you intend to replace it with untried at championship level journeymen.

Not getting a decent replacement for Webster in quickly was a big mistake. I'm not sure letting him go was though, both seasons with us he had recurring injury problems that meant he only played about half the time and looked hit and miss when he did play. We got £3.5m up front and have received more, if he continues to progress at Brizzle and we get all the add ons £8m is good value no doubt. If they sell him we'll be due a cut too. I don't think selling him was bad business, not replacing him whilst going on to sell other established players was the issue.

matt clarke mate on 14:11 - May 12 with 4527 viewscbower

matt clarke mate on 13:30 - May 12 by Herbivore

Not getting a decent replacement for Webster in quickly was a big mistake. I'm not sure letting him go was though, both seasons with us he had recurring injury problems that meant he only played about half the time and looked hit and miss when he did play. We got £3.5m up front and have received more, if he continues to progress at Brizzle and we get all the add ons £8m is good value no doubt. If they sell him we'll be due a cut too. I don't think selling him was bad business, not replacing him whilst going on to sell other established players was the issue.

The fact Webster spent alot of time on the treatment table with us yet seems to have been fine all season at Brizzle also throws open the long-standing questions marks about the quality of our medical team though, doesn't it?

bluescouser

matt clarke mate on 14:17 - May 12 with 4513 viewsHerbivore

matt clarke mate on 14:11 - May 12 by cbower

The fact Webster spent alot of time on the treatment table with us yet seems to have been fine all season at Brizzle also throws open the long-standing questions marks about the quality of our medical team though, doesn't it?

Possibly, or it could just be luck. He had recurring problems with his ankle here, maybe we'd finally got it sorted just as we sold him.

matt clarke mate on 21:37 - May 12 with 4359 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Clarke is the best defender in League One. We should never have sold him. Another bad decision.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

matt clarke mate on 21:51 - May 12 with 4334 viewsJ2BLUE

matt clarke mate on 08:09 - May 12 by Herbivore

With add ons the Webster deal is £8m+, I wouldn't call that a small fee.

On the OP, when we let Clarke go he was behind Smith and Berra as a left-sided CB. We needed Webster more. We've got a 20% sell on so there's every chance we'll get upwards of another £1m for him if Pompey don't go up.
[Post edited 12 May 2019 12:23]

Where is the 20% figure from?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

matt clarke mate on 22:18 - May 12 with 4298 viewsKieran_Knows

matt clarke mate on 21:51 - May 12 by J2BLUE

Where is the 20% figure from?

Phil.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

matt clarke mate on 00:57 - May 13 with 4189 viewstextbackup

matt clarke mate on 23:13 - May 11 by Terry_Nutkins

Don't get this sort of post to be honest. Misrepresentation of the truth. Webster is by a country mile the better of the two and we basically got a brilliant deal on him by using Clarke as part of the deal. A million times over it was the right thing to do. more annoying was the selling of Webster. This is actually slating a tough decision but the right decision deal to make. Portsmouth were not for selling without Clarke in the deal who had been on loan!

yeah, I mean Webster played so much. really got the better end of deal.

I take all the other points, but still, berra was on way out, MM ditched TS at any chance he got, MW was the replacement id have rathered.

and as it is we now have neither of them, the money didn't get invested well, so I stand by my fck up point
[Post edited 13 May 2019 1:01]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024