Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Oddly enough ... 21:54 - Nov 5 with 4284 viewsDarth_Koont

I think that was one of our better team performances of the season.

It wasn’t fluent, we didn’t get the strikers involved that much (although full credit to the Rochdale back 4) but we got little partnerships going and probed with the ball while keeping possession.

Nice to see Rowe score and the confidence it gave him after that. Now for Judge who was otherwise much better tonight too.

Pronouns: He/Him

Oddly enough ... on 22:02 - Nov 5 with 3819 viewsHerbivore

Thought we were still poor. Good spell at the start of the second half and could have ended up making it comfortable but we still look disjointed.

This will sound weird but most games, tonight included, we look an inferior team as a team compared to the opposition but we have fairly significantly better players to compensate and usually do enough to nick it. It ain't the pretty football we hoped for or that some seem to think it is.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Oddly enough ... on 22:06 - Nov 5 with 3777 viewsclive_baker

Oddly enough ... on 22:02 - Nov 5 by Herbivore

Thought we were still poor. Good spell at the start of the second half and could have ended up making it comfortable but we still look disjointed.

This will sound weird but most games, tonight included, we look an inferior team as a team compared to the opposition but we have fairly significantly better players to compensate and usually do enough to nick it. It ain't the pretty football we hoped for or that some seem to think it is.

I'm not sure we looked anything close to an inferior team. I can't recall Norris really having to make a save. We hit the woodwork twice, Woolfy missed a sitter, scored 1 and tested their keeper twice through Judge and Jackson. I still don't think it was peak Town, there's a lot more to come, but we looked relatively comfortable throughout.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Oddly enough ... on 22:07 - Nov 5 with 3768 viewsitfcjoe

Oddly enough ... on 22:02 - Nov 5 by Herbivore

They have patterns of play, simply we don't - when they win the ball back they knew how to go bang, bang, bang which would draw in our players and release their full backs or get the ball into their strikers feet and play from there.

Second half they couldn't live with pace and quality we showed when tempo upped, strikers just didn't get involved

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Oddly enough ... on 22:08 - Nov 5 with 3751 viewsHerbivore

Oddly enough ... on 22:06 - Nov 5 by clive_baker

I'm not sure we looked anything close to an inferior team. I can't recall Norris really having to make a save. We hit the woodwork twice, Woolfy missed a sitter, scored 1 and tested their keeper twice through Judge and Jackson. I still don't think it was peak Town, there's a lot more to come, but we looked relatively comfortable throughout.

They missed two or three sitters in the first half.

Oddly enough ... on 22:09 - Nov 5 with 3730 viewsbefxblue

Agree on Judge, thought his discipline was better than normal tonight.
Oddly enough ... on 22:11 - Nov 5 with 3706 viewsclive_baker

Oddly enough ... on 22:08 - Nov 5 by Herbivore

They missed two or three sitters in the first half.

1 or 2 blocks (Garbutt & Chambers come to mind) and the Henderson chance 2nd half, but otherwise they didn't threaten too much. Woolfenden really should've had 2 today.

2nd half was much better I thought, saw more from Nolan, Rowe and Judge which was encouraging, although the final ball of Judge still was missing too often for me.

I thought Jackson defended superbly from the front, and Skuse did what Skuse does to good effect centrally. Chambers, Woolfy and Garbutt also deserve credit for their performances.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Oddly enough ... on 22:12 - Nov 5 with 3693 viewsHerbivore

Oddly enough ... on 22:07 - Nov 5 by itfcjoe

They have patterns of play, simply we don't - when they win the ball back they knew how to go bang, bang, bang which would draw in our players and release their full backs or get the ball into their strikers feet and play from there.

Second half they couldn't live with pace and quality we showed when tempo upped, strikers just didn't get involved

Yeah, we don't really have any clear patterns of play or even a distinct style. We're not really a passing/possession based team, we don't really look to play on the break. It all feels quite on the fly. We're winning games by having good players producing moments, hopefully the team performances will come.

Oddly enough ... on 22:13 - Nov 5 with 3665 viewsHerbivore

Oddly enough ... on 22:11 - Nov 5 by clive_baker

1 or 2 blocks (Garbutt & Chambers come to mind) and the Henderson chance 2nd half, but otherwise they didn't threaten too much. Woolfenden really should've had 2 today.

2nd half was much better I thought, saw more from Nolan, Rowe and Judge which was encouraging, although the final ball of Judge still was missing too often for me.

I thought Jackson defended superbly from the front, and Skuse did what Skuse does to good effect centrally. Chambers, Woolfy and Garbutt also deserve credit for their performances.

Second half was better, agreed. Norwood wasn't at it today but Jackson was a constant threat and closed well. Skuse was everywhere. Woolfy is a player.

Login to get fewer ads

Oddly enough ... on 22:14 - Nov 5 with 3639 viewsDarth_Koont

Oddly enough ... on 22:07 - Nov 5 by itfcjoe

Agreed. In the matches this season, we’ve frequently looked less of a team and more a collection of better individuals. And we’ve often looked completely disjointed even when overpowering sides.

But tonight we seemed to make baby steps towards keeping the ball and using it better.

Pronouns: He/Him

Oddly enough ... on 22:15 - Nov 5 with 3629 viewsLankHenners

That is odd as it wasn’t at all. Although to be fair we’d have to split a lot of hairs to try and rank the performances this season.

Another fairly unconvincing performance where we don’t really look like we know what we’re doing but a step up in intensity puts a weak opposition (though Rochdale were good 1st half) on the back foot and a moment of quality wins it. Pretty much par for the course this season which is fine for now but (and I know it’s early, a long way to go etc.) doesn’t give much confidence that we’ll do anything other than slump back down to this division again once we get out of it.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Oddly enough ... on 22:27 - Nov 5 with 3526 viewsGarv

Rowe was beaming at full time and considering how scrappy a goal it was he celebrated hard. Hopefully he kicks on, he hasn't shown enough up until this point. But this could be where Lambert deserves credit regarding rotation. He's kept him involved.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Oddly enough ... on 22:29 - Nov 5 with 3502 viewsMrTown

Really?

Blimey, I think I must of had the wrong stream on then.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Oddly enough ... on 22:30 - Nov 5 with 3493 viewsGarv

Oddly enough ... on 22:13 - Nov 5 by Herbivore

Second half was better, agreed. Norwood wasn't at it today but Jackson was a constant threat and closed well. Skuse was everywhere. Woolfy is a player.

I thought Norwood was good first half, most his touches were good ones, but he got no service and faded second half.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Oddly enough ... on 22:30 - Nov 5 with 3484 viewspointofblue

How can we expect fluency when we chop and change formation and players so often? Skuse and Downes should be getting used to each other now, as should Jackson and Norwood but elsewhere there has been no consistency in terms of partnerships. Should the backline be getting used to Holy or Norris between the sticks? Is our centre back pairing Woolfenden/Chambers or Wilson/Chambers? Who are our wingers? Which formation do we play? It’s all very good being flexible but we haven’t mastered one formation yet.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Oddly enough ... on 22:45 - Nov 5 with 3353 viewsHerbivore

Oddly enough ... on 22:30 - Nov 5 by Garv

I thought Norwood was good first half, most his touches were good ones, but he got no service and faded second half.

Most of his touches first half were of opposition players.

Post of the day on 23:01 - Nov 5 with 3263 viewsunstableblue

Totally agree that we remained again in second gear, but it was not the horror show of Rotherham, and for significant spells as yo say there was good interplay between individuals. And as you say Jusge had positive moments.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Oddly enough ... on 23:18 - Nov 5 with 3207 viewsreusersfreekicks

Oddly enough ... on 22:12 - Nov 5 by Herbivore

Yeah, we don't really have any clear patterns of play or even a distinct style. We're not really a passing/possession based team, we don't really look to play on the break. It all feels quite on the fly. We're winning games by having good players producing moments, hopefully the team performances will come.

Isn't that down to the manager and his coaches?
Oddly enough ... on 23:20 - Nov 5 with 3198 viewsBent_double

Oddly enough ... on 22:30 - Nov 5 by pointofblue

How can we expect fluency when we chop and change formation and players so often? Skuse and Downes should be getting used to each other now, as should Jackson and Norwood but elsewhere there has been no consistency in terms of partnerships. Should the backline be getting used to Holy or Norris between the sticks? Is our centre back pairing Woolfenden/Chambers or Wilson/Chambers? Who are our wingers? Which formation do we play? It’s all very good being flexible but we haven’t mastered one formation yet.

Other teams/players seem to manage it, and surely players spend 90% of their working week training together, a 90 min match is only a small part. Of course Downes would have played if he wasn't suspended.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Oddly enough ... on 23:35 - Nov 5 with 3169 viewsjaykay

its a good job we are top of the league.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Oddly enough ... on 23:35 - Nov 5 with 3169 viewsHerbivore

Oddly enough ... on 23:18 - Nov 5 by reusersfreekicks

Well yeah.

Oddly enough ... on 23:49 - Nov 5 with 3130 viewsEireannach_gorm

Oddly enough ... on 23:18 - Nov 5 by reusersfreekicks

There is the rub. I think Lambert is a fantastic man manager and is great for the club but it is becoming obvious that he is not great on tactics and formations. This may be a significant issue when ( if ) we get back to the Championship. Our individual players are at a higher standard than Div One but if he does not turn them into a team we could be back down where we came from very quickly.
Oddly enough ... on 08:13 - Nov 6 with 2783 viewsBloomBlue

Oddly enough you are correct.
Oddly enough ... on 08:31 - Nov 6 with 2746 viewsKieran_Knows

I'm not as doom and gloom as some are, although I do tend to agree with others about pattern of play etc. I think what worries me, is that once we get promoted and playing a half decent Championship side, we'll start getting beat 3/4-0 because they'll take their chances.

I have to say, this League really is gash. The quality is shockingly bad at times, and I stick by my earlier thoughts that if we don't win this League by at least 10 points, it'll almost be a failure.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Oddly enough ... on 08:35 - Nov 6 with 2730 viewsportmanking

Oddly enough ... on 08:31 - Nov 6 by Kieran_Knows

I'm not as doom and gloom as some are, although I do tend to agree with others about pattern of play etc. I think what worries me, is that once we get promoted and playing a half decent Championship side, we'll start getting beat 3/4-0 because they'll take their chances.

I have to say, this League really is gash. The quality is shockingly bad at times, and I stick by my earlier thoughts that if we don't win this League by at least 10 points, it'll almost be a failure.

I wouldn't worry about next season just yet.

I'd like to think that IF we do bounce back, this team will be much-changed in several areas. I think Lambert will have a big decision to make re. the likes of Chambers and Skuse. I think them helping us back to the Championship should be seen as their swansong personally. Replacing those players with either guys that look like they can make the step up or some more proven Championship freebies will be key.
Oddly enough ... on 08:36 - Nov 6 with 2729 viewsBiGDonnie

Agreed. Second half I thought we kept the ball really well and played some nice stuff. Jackson just isn't technical enough to keep & use the ball well enough.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024