Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Here’s what Johnson’s victory means: 08:37 - Dec 13 with 2291 viewsitfcjoe

– Any prospect of Britain remaining in the EU has gone. Brexit Day is seven weeks away, and this time it’s for real.

– Boris Johnson now has free rein to recast Britain’s entire relationship with Europe as he sees fit in Phase 2 of the Brexit talks.

– Johnson will also have the power to reshape domestic policy over the coming years without restraint from his party or from parliament.

– The Conservatives are likely to rule Britain for the whole of the 2020s at least. No opposition party has ever overcome a deficit like this in a single election cycle.

– Huge question marks hang over the the future of the union, with the resurgent SNP now emboldened to demand a second independence referendum.

– The possibility of a reunited Ireland is also being openly discussed, given Johnson’s Brexit deal – which treats Northern Ireland very differently to Britain – is now certain to go through, and given Northern Ireland elected more Irish nationalists to Britain’s parliament than pro-British unionists for the first time since partition.

– Jeremy Corbyn is finished as Labour leader, and he leaves behind him a party in absolute turmoil and a state of near-civil war.

– Labour has been trounced across its old industrial heartlands, losing scores of ultra-red seats including Tony Blair’s old constituency of Sedgefield.

– The Lib Dems are also in disarray, mired on little more than a dozen seats and now seeking their fifth leader inside five years.

– The Tories however are a party reborn, having swept through the “red wall” of Labour heartlands to completely redraw the electoral map.

EDIT - These aren't my words but copied and pasted from elsewhere
[Post edited 13 Dec 2019 8:44]

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Here’s what Johnson’s victory means: on 08:43 - Dec 13 with 1959 viewsbluelagos

Agree with much of that.

But your second point ignores the EU. The desire to have divergence from EU rules and a comprehensive free trade deal, within a year is far from a done deal.

The EU will want alignment as they fear us undercutting them on workers and environmental rights etc.

So I just don't see Johnson getting anything close to what he wants...

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Here’s what Johnson’s victory means: on 08:51 - Dec 13 with 1921 viewsSwansea_Blue

You've missed the bit about watering down the power of the institutions that keep us constitutionally and legally safe.

It's a dark day for the UK (assuming they actually implement their manifesto, which is far from certain).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Here’s what Johnson’s victory means: on 09:14 - Dec 13 with 1856 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

That's politics.

Can't keep everyone happy,

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Here’s what Johnson’s victory means: on 09:55 - Dec 13 with 1811 viewsBlueBadger

Here’s what Johnson’s victory means: on 09:14 - Dec 13 by Marshalls_Mullet

That's politics.

Can't keep everyone happy,

Be quite nice if we had a government who weren't interested in just keeping a fringe of loons, xenophobes and free-market nutters happy though.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Here’s what Johnson’s victory means: on 10:02 - Dec 13 with 1792 viewsr2d2

There will be some happy people and there will be some sad people.
Here’s what Johnson’s victory means: on 10:09 - Dec 13 with 1764 viewsHerbivore

Here’s what Johnson’s victory means: on 10:02 - Dec 13 by r2d2

They need to upgrade your AI, especially the I bit.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Here’s what Johnson’s victory means: on 10:10 - Dec 13 with 1764 viewsxrayspecs

Will be interesting to see what BJ really stands for now that he has a mandate to lead. Personally, not convinced he is as far right as people believe and that we will see a deal that is closer to EU than many fear.

Politics meant he needed ERG support to take over from May and BREXIT support to win such a majority. He does now have the numbers in parliament to enable him to not be bullied by the ERG.

Worth noting his comments this morning about representing a one nation conservative party and delivering on behalf of those that have lent him their support. Too early to call if this is just rhetoric but these may be significant.

There is a massive hole in the centre ground of politics and the smart party will be the one that shifts to a more centrist position rather than stays at the extreme.
Here’s what Johnson’s victory means: on 10:17 - Dec 13 with 1716 viewsHerbivore

Here’s what Johnson’s victory means: on 10:10 - Dec 13 by xrayspecs

Will be interesting to see what BJ really stands for now that he has a mandate to lead. Personally, not convinced he is as far right as people believe and that we will see a deal that is closer to EU than many fear.

Politics meant he needed ERG support to take over from May and BREXIT support to win such a majority. He does now have the numbers in parliament to enable him to not be bullied by the ERG.

Worth noting his comments this morning about representing a one nation conservative party and delivering on behalf of those that have lent him their support. Too early to call if this is just rhetoric but these may be significant.

There is a massive hole in the centre ground of politics and the smart party will be the one that shifts to a more centrist position rather than stays at the extreme.

There's potentially something in this, but I'm not sure that Johnson stands for anything at all. He's an opportunist with no principles. The size of the majority gives him the opportunity to sideline the most swivel eyed loons in the ERG should he so choose and I've seen people close to him suggest he may do that as he's more naturally closer to being a 'One Nation' Tory, but I'm far from convinced.

Login to get fewer ads

Here’s what Johnson’s victory means: on 10:18 - Dec 13 with 1719 viewsitfcjoe

I'd have preferred a Hung Parliament, leading to a 2nd ref, but strangely a big majority is probably a better outcome than a small majority even for someone anti-Tory.

It can allow the hard right ERG to be sidelined - hopefully they will be

Here’s what Johnson’s victory means: on 10:38 - Dec 13 with 1677 viewsxrayspecs

Here’s what Johnson’s victory means: on 10:17 - Dec 13 by Herbivore

There's potentially something in this, but I'm not sure that Johnson stands for anything at all. He's an opportunist with no principles. The size of the majority gives him the opportunity to sideline the most swivel eyed loons in the ERG should he so choose and I've seen people close to him suggest he may do that as he's more naturally closer to being a 'One Nation' Tory, but I'm far from convinced.

BJ stands for himself and the opportunity to pursue this agenda is greater for him if he occupies the centre-right ground than if he aligns with the ERG.
Here’s what Johnson’s victory means: on 10:46 - Dec 13 with 1661 viewsm14_blue

Agree with all of those except for this point – The Conservatives are likely to rule Britain for the whole of the 2020s at least. No opposition party has ever overcome a deficit like this in a single election cycle.

The usual rules and precedents have gone out of the window and I don't think the usual conclusions can necessarily be extrapolated from yesterday.

It all depends on whether the working class voters who loaned their vote to the tories this time continue to vote that way when the twin motivations of Brexit and Corbyn are no more.
Here’s what Johnson’s victory means: on 10:50 - Dec 13 with 1637 viewsHerbivore

Here’s what Johnson’s victory means: on 10:46 - Dec 13 by m14_blue

Agree with all of those except for this point – The Conservatives are likely to rule Britain for the whole of the 2020s at least. No opposition party has ever overcome a deficit like this in a single election cycle.

The usual rules and precedents have gone out of the window and I don't think the usual conclusions can necessarily be extrapolated from yesterday.

It all depends on whether the working class voters who loaned their vote to the tories this time continue to vote that way when the twin motivations of Brexit and Corbyn are no more.

Agree with this. The Tories are holding a lot of marginal seats now in areas that are not strongholds and that they have won primarily because of Brexit. It won't be easy to keep hold of them and that's a big swathe of seats that could go back to Labour with a very small vote swing.

Here’s what Johnson’s victory means: on 11:04 - Dec 13 with 1587 viewsitfcjoe

Here’s what Johnson’s victory means: on 10:50 - Dec 13 by Herbivore

Agree with this. The Tories are holding a lot of marginal seats now in areas that are not strongholds and that they have won primarily because of Brexit. It won't be easy to keep hold of them and that's a big swathe of seats that could go back to Labour with a very small vote swing.

Without Scotland they can't get a majority, and that looks like it is gone forever

Here’s what Johnson’s victory means: on 11:11 - Dec 13 with 1566 viewschicoazul

We're not really leaving the EU though. Before we were half in, by the end of the process we will be half out. Anyone sensible can see this.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Here’s what Johnson’s victory means: on 11:49 - Dec 13 with 1496 viewsNewcyBlue

Upon waking this morning MrsNewcy said

“ Can’t believe my prime minister thinks I’m a piccaninnie 😔😔😔”

Pretty sad state of affairs that isn’t it.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Here’s what Johnson’s victory means: on 12:39 - Dec 13 with 1422 viewsSamWhiteUK

Here’s what Johnson’s victory means: on 10:02 - Dec 13 by r2d2

And the sad people will be loudest, as usual. Particularly on this board!
Here’s what Johnson’s victory means: on 12:48 - Dec 13 with 1401 viewsclive_baker

Agree, it will be interesting how it plays out. I'm not convinced Boris ever wanted Brexit, he just positioned himself in the best seat to get to PM, an ambition he's held his entire adult life. He's bright, and I'm sure he'll see through a light Brexit that in reality will be nothing but paying lip service to those that voted for it. I'm less nervous about that. I'm more concerned that he's certainly of questionable morals, and some of his comments and actions are heinous and not fitting of those of a PM.

For me, he is on balance the lesser of 2 evils when alongside Corbyn, but I hope to god Labour can reinvent themselves and win back power next time around, under a more considered proposal and credible force to govern the country.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Here’s what Johnson’s victory means: on 13:56 - Dec 13 with 1243 viewsHerbivore

Here’s what Johnson’s victory means: on 11:11 - Dec 13 by chicoazul

We're not really leaving the EU though. Before we were half in, by the end of the process we will be half out. Anyone sensible can see this.

The only other person who sees this is CIL. I'll let you draw your own conclusions from that.

Here’s what Johnson’s victory means: on 14:55 - Dec 13 with 1189 viewsNo9

Mr Johnson only had to deal with his own [party = he got elected by his friends with a large majority
1/ Now he has to deal with the other sections of the Union
2/ + leaving the EU & reconciling the lies he has already told.
3/ Then dealing with the WTO & the lies he has told about that.
How forgiving will the right wing be if he fails on 2 & 3? his party have already given him the go ahead to scrifce the Union to get brexit.
Here’s what Johnson’s victory means: on 15:00 - Dec 13 with 1184 viewsGeoffSentence

Remember Theresa May rattling on about those burning injustices on the day she became PM. That was all bollox and I see no reason why BoJo , with his record of deceit and dishonesty, should be any different.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Here’s what Johnson’s victory means: on 16:44 - Dec 13 with 1100 viewsmanchego

Here’s what Johnson’s victory means: on 15:00 - Dec 13 by GeoffSentence

Remember Theresa May rattling on about those burning injustices on the day she became PM. That was all bollox and I see no reason why BoJo , with his record of deceit and dishonesty, should be any different.

Jeez, I remember Thatcher quoting Francis of frikkin Assisi the day after her first win.

"where there is discord may we bring harmony"

That aged well.
Here’s what Johnson’s victory means: on 17:53 - Dec 13 with 1026 viewsBloomBlue

Here’s what Johnson’s victory means: on 08:43 - Dec 13 by bluelagos

Agree with much of that.

But your second point ignores the EU. The desire to have divergence from EU rules and a comprehensive free trade deal, within a year is far from a done deal.

The EU will want alignment as they fear us undercutting them on workers and environmental rights etc.

So I just don't see Johnson getting anything close to what he wants...

But he will go into those discussions with a large majority whereas the two EU powerhouses Germany and France have issues. Merkel/her party under pressure with Germany economy in decline. Macron under pressure at home and struggling to get his reforms in. While a No Deal isnt a killer for either Country it will certainly have a impact both with be desperate to avoid.
The difference now is they know Boris has a massive majority and doesnt have to sell it to the whole of HoC. I really think that might just help Boris get more from the deal then people expect.
Maybe Boris really is just lucky
Here’s what Johnson’s victory means: on 19:48 - Dec 13 with 932 viewsPecker

Here’s what Johnson’s victory means: on 11:11 - Dec 13 by chicoazul

Boris will scrap the current deal and get a no deal Brexit through parliament.
Here’s what Johnson’s victory means: on 19:51 - Dec 13 with 919 viewsGlasgowBlue

Here’s what Johnson’s victory means: on 10:17 - Dec 13 by Herbivore

Boris Johnson stands for whatever will benefit Boris Johnson. No more and no less.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Here’s what Johnson’s victory means: on 20:01 - Dec 13 with 885 viewsnoggin

Here’s what Johnson’s victory means: on 17:53 - Dec 13 by BloomBlue

But he will go into those discussions with a large majority whereas the two EU powerhouses Germany and France have issues. Merkel/her party under pressure with Germany economy in decline. Macron under pressure at home and struggling to get his reforms in. While a No Deal isnt a killer for either Country it will certainly have a impact both with be desperate to avoid.
The difference now is they know Boris has a massive majority and doesnt have to sell it to the whole of HoC. I really think that might just help Boris get more from the deal then people expect.
Maybe Boris really is just lucky

lol

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024