Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This seems bizarre from the home office 08:15 - Apr 9 with 1752 viewsStokieBlue

Passport office workers have been asked to go back to work. Doesn't seem like essential work given nobody is going on holiday anytime soon so won't need their passports.

On Tuesday, staff were told by a Home Office scientific adviser 80% of people would get Covid-19 in the end and "we can't hide away from it forever".

It's just going to mean more people moving about for no real reason.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52219930

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

This seems bizarre from the home office on 08:36 - Apr 9 with 1265 viewsartsbossbeard

It's an utterly bizarre move, which is difficult to comprehend.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

This seems bizarre from the home office on 08:37 - Apr 9 with 1266 viewsSteve_M

It does. Then again the line: "we can't hide away from it forever" is more than a little ironic given the Home Secretary has seemingly disappeared.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

This seems bizarre from the home office on 08:56 - Apr 9 with 1226 viewsStokieBlue

This seems bizarre from the home office on 08:37 - Apr 9 by Steve_M

It does. Then again the line: "we can't hide away from it forever" is more than a little ironic given the Home Secretary has seemingly disappeared.

Patel is absolutely rubbish as you point out.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/apr/08/priti-patel-accused-of-avoiding

SB

This seems bizarre from the home office on 09:05 - Apr 9 with 1194 viewssparks

It is not the only example I am aware of in the public sector, which in at least some quarters has been extraordinarily slow to implement the sort of measures that private sector business put in place swiftly.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Patel is the Lambert of the cabinet.... on 09:28 - Apr 9 with 1137 viewsBloots

….if I wasn't for the current situation she'd be out on her ear.

She got the job because she talked a good game and was relatively high profile, but in reality was totally incompetent.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Patel is the Lambert of the cabinet.... on 09:36 - Apr 9 with 1116 viewsBlueBadger

Patel is the Lambert of the cabinet.... on 09:28 - Apr 9 by Bloots

She got the job because she talked a good game and was relatively high profile, but in reality was totally incompetent.

So, no different to her colleagues?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

She's definitely one of the worst mate..... on 09:40 - Apr 9 with 1099 viewsBloots

Patel is the Lambert of the cabinet.... on 09:36 - Apr 9 by BlueBadger

So, no different to her colleagues?

….I'm not particularly "political", but her smarmy, smug approach to life and work is too much to take.

And to make things worse, she's my MP!

I'm not in a good mood today.

Sorry x

She's definitely one of the worst mate..... on 09:43 - Apr 9 with 1093 viewsBlueBadger

She's definitely one of the worst mate..... on 09:40 - Apr 9 by Bloots

….I'm not particularly "political", but her smarmy, smug approach to life and work is too much to take.

And to make things worse, she's my MP!

I'm not in a good mood today.

Sorry x

Cheer up Blootsy, Lambert will probably get the sack soon.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

This seems bizarre from the home office on 09:44 - Apr 9 with 1085 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

This seems bizarre from the home office on 09:05 - Apr 9 by sparks

It is not the only example I am aware of in the public sector, which in at least some quarters has been extraordinarily slow to implement the sort of measures that private sector business put in place swiftly.

This is not the time for political opportunism Sparks!
Empirical evidence please.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

This seems bizarre from the home office on 09:46 - Apr 9 with 1078 viewssparks

This seems bizarre from the home office on 09:44 - Apr 9 by BanksterDebtSlave

This is not the time for political opportunism Sparks!
Empirical evidence please.

What on earth are you on about you despicable loon?

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

This seems bizarre from the home office on 10:01 - Apr 9 with 1047 viewsgordon

Would have thought passports aren't going to be that useful for the next year or so anyway, to be honest!
This seems bizarre from the home office on 10:08 - Apr 9 with 1029 viewsGeoffSentence

This seems bizarre from the home office on 10:01 - Apr 9 by gordon

Would have thought passports aren't going to be that useful for the next year or so anyway, to be honest!

It's put my mind at rest. My passport runs out this month and I still have a trip which could go ahead in September.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

This seems bizarre from the home office on 10:09 - Apr 9 with 1029 viewsWeWereZombies

Nobody is going on holiday soon I guess but that is not the only reason for travel and, if you let control fall on movement, essential international business is either compromised or goes ahead haphazardly. And then there are the hundreds of thousands of Britons who find themselves overseas for a fair bit longer than they expected and may need new passports or documents to help them get home.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

This seems bizarre from the home office on 10:18 - Apr 9 with 1012 viewsPinewoodblue

Can understand the logic, doubt many people have been applying for Passports but they know how many passport requests are likely to be received in the next six months.

It is muddled thinking though as it sends out the wrong message especially to those inclined to ignore the government rules. If it is OK to go to work on a bus then it is OK to go to the beach etc,

Just another example of poor decision making within the public sector. Up there with the decision by Public Health England to keep testing for covid-19 in house and not even involve the NHS. A decision which will no doubt be proven to have cost many lives.

Can foresee a number of early retirements in the months ahead.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

This seems bizarre from the home office on 10:42 - Apr 9 with 985 viewsStokieBlue

This seems bizarre from the home office on 10:09 - Apr 9 by WeWereZombies

Nobody is going on holiday soon I guess but that is not the only reason for travel and, if you let control fall on movement, essential international business is either compromised or goes ahead haphazardly. And then there are the hundreds of thousands of Britons who find themselves overseas for a fair bit longer than they expected and may need new passports or documents to help them get home.

Most of those people abroad would have valid passports to have gotten to where they are and should have at least 6 months left on them. If they live there then there is no need for them to travel to the UK.

A few people might need passports because they have lost them or whatever but a skeleton amount of people would be enough for that.

It just seems to contradict the other positions of the government.

SB

Patel is the Lambert of the cabinet.... on 10:44 - Apr 9 with 981 viewsKeno

will you all stop with the posts having a pop at Lambert!!

I'm sure he is doing his best

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

This seems bizarre from the home office on 10:45 - Apr 9 with 977 viewsitfcjoe

This seems bizarre from the home office on 10:42 - Apr 9 by StokieBlue

Most of those people abroad would have valid passports to have gotten to where they are and should have at least 6 months left on them. If they live there then there is no need for them to travel to the UK.

A few people might need passports because they have lost them or whatever but a skeleton amount of people would be enough for that.

SB

Not that I disagree with going back being a bad thing - but I'd guess the supply of passports has natural peaks and troughs throughout the year and if it completely stops will be in a position where it becomes impossible to catch up which no one will accept if they need one

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Patel is the Lambert of the cabinet.... on 10:52 - Apr 9 with 961 viewsSomethingBlue

She has the added problem of being a genuinely nasty piece of work.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

This seems bizarre from the home office on 10:54 - Apr 9 with 959 viewsTractorWood

When the Government's advice is to avoid all foreign travel it seems counter intuitive to get the passport office back up and running.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

This seems bizarre from the home office on 11:43 - Apr 9 with 900 viewsgordon

SB

It's also not beyond the wit of man for countries to agree to add 6 months onto the end of passport expiry dates.
True, Shambert does have that advantage over her. (n/t) on 11:48 - Apr 9 with 882 viewsBloots

Patel is the Lambert of the cabinet.... on 10:52 - Apr 9 by SomethingBlue

She has the added problem of being a genuinely nasty piece of work.

This seems bizarre from the home office on 11:50 - Apr 9 with 877 viewsPinewoodblue

SB

They are talking about having 25% of staff working. At first sight it is sensible but it gives the wrong message to the idiot minority.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

This seems bizarre from the home office on 12:03 - Apr 9 with 850 viewsNthQldITFC

Any feeling that it could be to do with ID within the country?

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

This seems bizarre from the home office on 12:19 - Apr 9 with 826 viewsWeWereZombies

This seems bizarre from the home office on 11:43 - Apr 9 by gordon

It's also not beyond the wit of man for countries to agree to add 6 months onto the end of passport expiry dates.

But it probably beyond the bounds of being a jobsworth in straightened times.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

This seems bizarre from the home office on 12:24 - Apr 9 with 810 viewsSwansea_Blue

This seems bizarre from the home office on 08:36 - Apr 9 by artsbossbeard

It's an utterly bizarre move, which is difficult to comprehend.

It's easier to understand when you remember the crackpots in government wanted us to develop herd immunity naturally and not through use of a vaccine. I suspect those views still run quite deep.

And then there are the tensions between money and health - we have a government obsessed with the former at the expense of the latter.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024