Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just realised that Col U are in the play offs 17:21 - Jun 15 with 4041 viewsDubtractor

So we could have a (slightly depressing) local derby next season.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Just realised that Col U are in the play offs on 17:46 - Jun 15 with 3231 viewsFunge

I'm not sure if there's a more one-sided derby about.

They despise us, truly despise us. Yet we're fully nonplussed about them. I used to go and watch them when I was a kid, and Towun were away.

In terms of club operation, they're the polar opposite to us, in that, er, they're run properly.
Just realised that Col U are in the play offs on 18:22 - Jun 15 with 3179 viewssparks

Just realised that Col U are in the play offs on 17:46 - Jun 15 by Funge

They despise us, truly despise us. Yet we're fully nonplussed about them. I used to go and watch them when I was a kid, and Towun were away.

In terms of club operation, they're the polar opposite to us, in that, er, they're run properly.

That picture will change fast if they turn us over a couple of times and end up ahead of us in the table...

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Just realised that Col U are in the play offs on 18:51 - Jun 15 with 3125 viewsmonty_radio

Just realised that Col U are in the play offs on 17:46 - Jun 15 by Funge

As an ex-Uni of Essex student, I would occasionally watch them at the old Layer Rd on a Friday night. Proper ground that - where a hundred kicking back of the stand sounded like marching army; and when a shot went over the bar, it also went over the stand.

Hard to summon any ill-feeling towards liitle ol' Col U.

I suppose, if I want to drum it up, I need to shed the idea that parity may no longer be a transient state.

But No, I refuse to! That way madness lies.

I recently read that an optimist was not the first person to say "hurrah", but the last to say "we're dead!" I choose optimism (I think).

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Just realised that Col U are in the play offs on 19:01 - Jun 15 with 3096 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

I like Col U, I didn’t realise they had such a hatred for us though.

I like the way they are run, well within their means, significant investment in academy products and unearthing lower league ‘hidden gems’.

They have a very exciting squad but can be hit and miss, very much Joe Royle Ipswich esc in terms of their performances.

Got Callum Harriet, too good for that level. I am led to believe youngsters Courtney Senior and Kwane Poku have attracted a lot of interest from League 1 clubs this year.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Just realised that Col U are in the play offs on 19:04 - Jun 15 with 3094 viewsSwansea_Blue

Bizarrely, I had no interest in them whatsoever when I was living in Ipswich. None at all despite how close hey are. I can't say that's changed much. Even if they came up this year and then got promoted straight to the Championship next and we got relegated, I still wouldn't have any thought for them.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Just realised that Col U are in the play offs on 21:15 - Jun 15 with 2934 viewscooperd5

Hope they get up, even if they do hate us!
Just realised that Col U are in the play offs on 22:04 - Jun 15 with 2864 viewsFunge

Just realised that Col U are in the play offs on 18:22 - Jun 15 by sparks

That picture will change fast if they turn us over a couple of times and end up ahead of us in the table...

Been there before, Sparks - 06/07...

They finished 10th in the Champ, including beating us at Layer Rd, and we were 14th (halcyon days)

Despite that, difficult to recall feeling anything other than antipathy towards them.
Just realised that Col U are in the play offs on 22:25 - Jun 15 with 2826 viewsRadlett_blue

Just realised that Col U are in the play offs on 22:04 - Jun 15 by Funge

Been there before, Sparks - 06/07...

They finished 10th in the Champ, including beating us at Layer Rd, and we were 14th (halcyon days)

Despite that, difficult to recall feeling anything other than antipathy towards them.

Ah yes, Jim's first season as manager. I remember the shame of the 1-0 defeat at Layer Road; I also thoroughly enjoyed the great atmosphere when we beat then 3-2 in the return, in front of over 28,000 (swoons).
Yes, Col U don't like us, presumably because I remember a large number of fans getting on the train to Ipswich at Colchester station in the 1970s & then the animosity seemed to be cranked up when we nicked GB as manager. Still, given our current plight, I welcome a bit of local rivalry.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Login to get fewer ads

Just realised that Col U are in the play offs on 22:41 - Jun 15 with 2802 viewsrgp1

Just realised that Col U are in the play offs on 18:22 - Jun 15 by sparks

Erm that's already happened in the championship! 2006 springs to mind! Standing on the layer road terrace with one crapper for the whole stand! Another depressing day where we couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo.
Just realised that Col U are in the play offs on 22:44 - Jun 15 with 2796 viewsSharkey

Just realised that Col U are in the play offs on 22:41 - Jun 15 by rgp1

Erm that's already happened in the championship! 2006 springs to mind! Standing on the layer road terrace with one crapper for the whole stand! Another depressing day where we couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo.

Colchester won the next season too, the year they finished 24th in the Championship. It was the U's last ever win at Layer Road.
Just realised that Col U are in the play offs on 22:48 - Jun 15 with 2790 viewsrgp1

Just realised that Col U are in the play offs on 22:44 - Jun 15 by Sharkey

Colchester won the next season too, the year they finished 24th in the Championship. It was the U's last ever win at Layer Road.

And believe it or not we were the only opposition team not to score at layer road that season.
Just realised that Col U are in the play offs on 09:22 - Jun 16 with 2582 viewssparks

Just realised that Col U are in the play offs on 22:41 - Jun 15 by rgp1

But we "knew" then that it was a temporary one off thing- and they were hitting well above their weight.

To get turned over in Div 1 will start to shift perceptions and balance.

Trust me, Southampton are much less kindly inclined towards Bournemouth than they were in my day...

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Just realised that Col U are in the play offs on 10:02 - Jun 16 with 2544 viewshampstead_blue

I used to enjoy going to Layer Rd. Just round the corner from my Army house and I got in for free.

They had Kem Izzet when I watched them.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Just realised that Col U are in the play offs on 10:03 - Jun 16 with 2540 viewstextbackup

be funny in the away end though, like southend, our Suffolk based fans using "Essex c*nts" to bait home fans..... then Essex based fans get the hump

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Just realised that Col U are in the play offs on 10:10 - Jun 16 with 2518 viewsITFC_Forever

Just realised that Col U are in the play offs on 22:48 - Jun 15 by rgp1

And believe it or not we were the only opposition team not to score at layer road that season.

You can thank our old friend Mr D'Urso for that - he disallowed a perfectly good Danny Haynes goal.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Just realised that Col U are in the play offs on 10:13 - Jun 16 with 2517 viewsbournemouthblue

Just realised that Col U are in the play offs on 19:01 - Jun 15 by TheTrueBlue1878

I like Col U, I didn’t realise they had such a hatred for us though.

I like the way they are run, well within their means, significant investment in academy products and unearthing lower league ‘hidden gems’.

They have a very exciting squad but can be hit and miss, very much Joe Royle Ipswich esc in terms of their performances.

Got Callum Harriet, too good for that level. I am led to believe youngsters Courtney Senior and Kwane Poku have attracted a lot of interest from League 1 clubs this year.

I'm surprised Callum Harriot has remained down there, he looked pretty handy Charlton a few seasons ago

How are Forest Green doing, they seem to be well run?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Just realised that Col U are in the play offs on 10:23 - Jun 16 with 2495 viewsLibero

Some of our more elderly supporters will remember a time where Colchester were considered our rivals and not Norwich.
Just realised that Col U are in the play offs on 10:33 - Jun 16 with 2481 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

I actually like Colchester

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Just realised that Col U are in the play offs on 11:09 - Jun 16 with 2426 viewsWarkystache

Just realised that Col U are in the play offs on 10:33 - Jun 16 by TRUE_BLUE123

I actually like Colchester

I don't. And I live near and sometimes work there. It's a sh*thole. Too much traffic for the small roman town, trying to be another Chelmsford with all the building work, dirty-looking shops and buildings, full of students, the pubs are OK (Fat Cat, Odd One Out, Hospital Arms) but the whole town has seen better days.

Poll: If we were guaranteed promotion next season, how would you celebrate?
Blog: [Blog] It's Time the Club Pushed On

Just realised that Col U are in the play offs (n/t) on 11:19 - Jun 16 with 2415 viewsSharkey

Just realised that Col U are in the play offs on 11:09 - Jun 16 by Warkystache

I don't. And I live near and sometimes work there. It's a sh*thole. Too much traffic for the small roman town, trying to be another Chelmsford with all the building work, dirty-looking shops and buildings, full of students, the pubs are OK (Fat Cat, Odd One Out, Hospital Arms) but the whole town has seen better days.

Just realised that Col U are in the play offs on 13:03 - Jun 16 with 2304 viewshampstead_blue

Just realised that Col U are in the play offs on 11:09 - Jun 16 by Warkystache

You mention a lot of groups there and not the Army. Interesting.

When the Para's owned Aldershot there was a lot of local angst. The Paras literally took over a few pubs and bars as their own. If you didn't have your wings you would not be welcome.

Has that not happened in Colly?

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Just realised that Col U are in the play offs on 13:03 - Jun 16 with 2302 viewsrgp1

Just realised that Col U are in the play offs on 10:10 - Jun 16 by ITFC_Forever

You can thank our old friend Mr D'Urso for that - he disallowed a perfectly good Danny Haynes goal.

Yes I remember it well an all round day of sheer bloody frustration. Even the year before Mackins perfectly good goal was chalked off! The one thing I vividly remember is a poor soul standing to the left of me got knocked out pre match courtesy of a Malcolm Webster drop kick!
Just realised that Col U are in the play offs on 13:27 - Jun 16 with 2262 viewspeterleeblue

........and does Hal Mason ( I think that was his name) still cover the games on Radio Orwell?

Used to love listening to Town coverage with the Crowd roar Goal action pre cursor to an Ipswich goal. If it was a goal against us the Roar would be somewhat muted - I seem to remember.

Was it Peter Slater who used to cover Ipswich before Bryan Knights?
Just realised that Col U are in the play offs on 15:11 - Jun 16 with 2187 viewsSharkey

Just realised that Col U are in the play offs on 13:03 - Jun 16 by hampstead_blue

You mention a lot of groups there and not the Army. Interesting.

When the Para's owned Aldershot there was a lot of local angst. The Paras literally took over a few pubs and bars as their own. If you didn't have your wings you would not be welcome.

Has that not happened in Colly?

The Fox and Fiddler seems to be the para's pub (It certainly has all th regalia), but Colchester is nothing like it was in the 80s, when certain pubs were no-go areas if you didn't have a moustache (only squaddies had a moustache!). In those days, understandably perhaps, the idea of an Irish pub in the town was unthinkable, but now Colchester has the usual array. I remember the police were often in pairs - one in blue, the other being military police with the red cap band.
Ere Sparks... on 19:51 - Jun 16 with 2067 viewsFunge

Just realised that Col U are in the play offs on 09:22 - Jun 16 by sparks

But we "knew" then that it was a temporary one off thing- and they were hitting well above their weight.

To get turned over in Div 1 will start to shift perceptions and balance.

Trust me, Southampton are much less kindly inclined towards Bournemouth than they were in my day...

... I watched this the other day - really well produced and researched documentary about the Pompey/ Saints derby.

It's a good watch in any case, but one of the Saints interviewed basically states that it's all about Pompey - Bournemouth are irrelevant. Only one man's opinion, I concede....
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024