Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sunak set to cut aid budget 14:26 - Aug 31 with 6467 viewstractordownsouth

As well as being cutting off support for the most vulnerable, this is going to be the next round of the culture war isn't it? The Tories will claim Labour are out of touch by wanting to help poverty abroad rather than at home, even though it's more than possible to care about both. Foreign Aid is a percentage not a set cash figure anyway, so our contribution will go down as our GDP has gone down, so it's not a case of prioritising foreigners over people living here.

The people shouting "we should help our own first" are the same ones who otherwise accuse anyone who wants to do that of being a leftie loon.

Won't link the article because it's The Sun but it's on Twitter too

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Sunak set to cut aid budget on 14:29 - Aug 31 with 4380 viewsElephantintheRoom

This may come as a shock to you but all the free money being tossed around, not to mention the vast contracts handed out here, there and everywhere in a pandemic have to be paid for by the tax payer.

And an incompetent government will be tossing out a lot more 'leaks' and soundbites to guage the most popular

Get used to it... and pay off your credit card quick if you are daft enough to live of debt

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Sunak set to cut aid budget on 14:31 - Aug 31 with 4373 viewsJ2BLUE

It seems leaders don't even try and govern for all anymore. It's all for the base votes. This will go over big with many of their voters. It's pretty disgusting we've been restricting aid to less than 1% anyway without cutting it.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Sunak set to cut aid budget on 14:42 - Aug 31 with 4331 viewsSwansea_Blue

Sunak set to cut aid budget on 14:31 - Aug 31 by J2BLUE

It seems leaders don't even try and govern for all anymore. It's all for the base votes. This will go over big with many of their voters. It's pretty disgusting we've been restricting aid to less than 1% anyway without cutting it.

Yep. All depressing stuff.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Sunak set to cut aid budget on 14:51 - Aug 31 with 4291 viewsbluelagos

The 0.7% of GDP is established in law. So it would require new legislation to change that.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Sunak set to cut aid budget on 14:53 - Aug 31 with 4293 viewsmonytowbray

This is exactly why I called out [redacted] for trying to lecture others on privilege and accusing uefacup81 of "All Lives Matter" logic this week (just an FYI, uc81 was doing none of the sort).

Someone who has voted for this party and defended them for the last decade is in no position to talk about such things.

To vote for the Tories with all the data, information and real life stories of the damage they've caused shows a huge lack of privilege awareness or empathy.

I've been screaming from my side of the fence for years and am continually amazed to not only be proven correct but have my expectations of how low the Tories can sink blown out of the water.

Political point scoring or something though.
[Post edited 31 Aug 2020 14:54]

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Sunak set to cut aid budget on 14:55 - Aug 31 with 4278 viewsbluelagos

Yep - think I read yesterday £2.8Bn already cut from this year's aid budget as the GDP is down.

Sunak set to cut aid budget on 15:13 - Aug 31 with 4217 viewsSwansea_Blue

Sunak set to cut aid budget on 14:55 - Aug 31 by bluelagos

Yep - think I read yesterday £2.8Bn already cut from this year's aid budget as the GDP is down.

You must have misheard, as we're supposed to all be doing better after leaving the EU. Surely the Brexit Dividend and all our shiny new trade deals will have seen our GDP shoot up?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Sunak set to cut aid budget on 16:10 - Aug 31 with 4135 viewsbournemouthblue

The foreign aid budget is an easy one for politicians, it's gesture signalling really as it's a tiny proportion of our overall budget but it will have the hard right purring

The reality of foreign aid is whilst it should be for good purposes, it's almost always a bribe for trade benefits truth be told

How we actually do 'foriegn aid, probably needs to be reviewed any way, I'd suggest. Throwing money at it probably isn't the answer but whether we still have industry or skills to export in exchange is debatable sadly.

We have excellent security and military, knowledge and hardware. We are good at pharmaceuticals and finance, we're good at music and the arts and latterly sport has improved but what value can we add economically to developing nations?
[Post edited 31 Aug 2020 23:49]

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Login to get fewer ads

Sunak set to cut aid budget on 16:18 - Aug 31 with 4112 viewsGlasgowBlue

Sunak set to cut aid budget on 14:53 - Aug 31 by monytowbray

This is exactly why I called out [redacted] for trying to lecture others on privilege and accusing uefacup81 of "All Lives Matter" logic this week (just an FYI, uc81 was doing none of the sort).

Someone who has voted for this party and defended them for the last decade is in no position to talk about such things.

To vote for the Tories with all the data, information and real life stories of the damage they've caused shows a huge lack of privilege awareness or empathy.

I've been screaming from my side of the fence for years and am continually amazed to not only be proven correct but have my expectations of how low the Tories can sink blown out of the water.

Political point scoring or something though.
[Post edited 31 Aug 2020 14:54]

If you swap Jews for blacks then that’s exactly what he was doing. Not sure what that has to do with the cut in the foreign aid budget though but I suppose you had to shoehorn in a pop at me somehow mate.

Anyway, could you PM me over you bank details. I don’t think it’s fair on you that I occupy so much time in your head rent free. I feel I should be paying you something.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Sunak set to cut aid budget on 16:40 - Aug 31 with 4000 viewsMonkeyAlan

Sunak is a good egg really.
Sunak set to cut aid budget on 17:29 - Aug 31 with 3923 viewsbluelagos

Sunak set to cut aid budget on 16:10 - Aug 31 by bournemouthblue

The foreign aid budget is an easy one for politicians, it's gesture signalling really as it's a tiny proportion of our overall budget but it will have the hard right purring

The reality of foreign aid is whilst it should be for good purposes, it's almost always a bribe for trade benefits truth be told

How we actually do 'foriegn aid, probably needs to be reviewed any way, I'd suggest. Throwing money at it probably isn't the answer but whether we still have industry or skills to export in exchange is debatable sadly.

We have excellent security and military, knowledge and hardware. We are good at pharmaceuticals and finance, we're good at music and the arts and latterly sport has improved but what value can we add economically to developing nations?

"it's almost always a bribe for trade benefits truth be told "

I think that's unfair, whilst accepting it is increasingly becoming a focus, especially under the current shower.

Worked on projects in Liberia and Malawi that were part DFID funded. Hard to see what trade benefits the UK got from either of those. Both were excellent programmes too.

Sunak set to cut aid budget on 17:36 - Aug 31 with 3899 viewsbluelagos

Sunak set to cut aid budget on 16:10 - Aug 31 by bournemouthblue

"what value can we add economically to developing nations? "

Shed loads mate.

The programme I saw up close in Malawi was targeting literacy levels of young girls. Our education sector has a lot it can share in the developing world.

Have also seen Water and sanitation programmes (Wells and latrines) which benefit from engineering projects, medical programmes that benefit from medical skills.

Have also seen in Kenya water harvestation supported by a British charity that exports the technology of sand dams globally.

I could go on and on - and I only only worked for around 2 years for INGOs.

DFID genuinely are (or were given they no longer exist) regarded as one of the world's best development teams / donors.
[Post edited 31 Aug 2020 17:38]

Sunak set to cut aid budget on 17:55 - Aug 31 with 3822 viewseireblue

Sunak set to cut aid budget on 14:55 - Aug 31 by bluelagos

I fully expect that sort of message to be spun to the base as a purposeful, cut, rather than as a result of GDP dipping.
Sunak set to cut aid budget on 19:10 - Aug 31 with 3754 viewsfactual_blue

Sunak set to cut aid budget on 16:40 - Aug 31 by MonkeyAlan

He's a piece of sweetcorn.

You can either look up the Iain Banks' quote yourself, or Badger will find it for you.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Sunak set to cut aid budget on 19:39 - Aug 31 with 3712 viewsMullet

Sunak set to cut aid budget on 16:40 - Aug 31 by MonkeyAlan

Some people seem to have dug into his career and found he was part of the moves responsible for the fall out of the economic crash a decade ago. Specifically with relation to RBS I believe.

A "good egg" with our money seemingly.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Sunak set to cut aid budget on 21:15 - Aug 31 with 3625 viewstractordownsouth

Sunak set to cut aid budget on 19:39 - Aug 31 by Mullet

Some people seem to have dug into his career and found he was part of the moves responsible for the fall out of the economic crash a decade ago. Specifically with relation to RBS I believe.

A "good egg" with our money seemingly.

He's a Thatcherite who has decided to reinvent himself as a moderate to set himself up for a leadership bid.

Sunak set to cut aid budget on 21:31 - Aug 31 with 3572 viewsjaykay

Sunak set to cut aid budget on 21:15 - Aug 31 by tractordownsouth

He's a Thatcherite who has decided to reinvent himself as a moderate to set himself up for a leadership bid.

sounds a lot like some tory posters on here. the reinvent bit not the bid for leadership bit

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Sunak set to cut aid budget on 22:08 - Aug 31 with 3530 views26_Paz

Great news. We don’t have money to be giving away. He is a very impressive politician. Future PM material for sure.

The Paz Man

Sunak set to cut aid budget on 22:17 - Aug 31 with 3525 viewstractordownsouth

Sunak set to cut aid budget on 22:08 - Aug 31 by 26_Paz

Great news. We don’t have money to be giving away. He is a very impressive politician. Future PM material for sure.

The current aid budget falls when GDP falls as it's a percentage not a figure, so our contribution would have fallen anyway.

While we're at it, how do you feel about the other 98.6% of government expenditure? Not sure why you're so keen to get rid of assistance for some of the poorest people in the world.

Sunak set to cut aid budget on 23:53 - Aug 31 with 3453 viewsbournemouthblue

Sunak set to cut aid budget on 17:36 - Aug 31 by bluelagos

Shed loads mate.

The programme I saw up close in Malawi was targeting literacy levels of young girls. Our education sector has a lot it can share in the developing world.

Have also seen Water and sanitation programmes (Wells and latrines) which benefit from engineering projects, medical programmes that benefit from medical skills.

Have also seen in Kenya water harvestation supported by a British charity that exports the technology of sand dams globally.

DFID genuinely are (or were given they no longer exist) regarded as one of the world's best development teams / donors.

Edit: I seem to have double posted here
[Post edited 1 Sep 2020 4:14]

Sunak set to cut aid budget on 04:12 - Sep 1 with 3409 viewsbournemouthblue

Sunak set to cut aid budget on 17:36 - Aug 31 by bluelagos

Shed loads mate.

I have no doubt we do some good work which is why cutting it is so morally bankrupt

The old, why are giving India all this money when they have a Space Programme crowd are the ones voting for this government sadly and it's the type of government who are pandering to the hard right

It would be interesting to contrast the amount of money we spent to level parts of the Middle East

People seem totally oblivious to the fact we have helped create this massive migrant crisis and seem.to turn their noses up at the few who are trying to get here

Sunak set to cut aid budget on 06:45 - Sep 1 with 3337 views26_Paz

Sunak set to cut aid budget on 22:17 - Aug 31 by tractordownsouth

The current aid budget falls when GDP falls as it's a percentage not a figure, so our contribution would have fallen anyway.

While we're at it, how do you feel about the other 98.6% of government expenditure? Not sure why you're so keen to get rid of assistance for some of the poorest people in the world.

There’s huge amount of wastage with government expenditure (as there is with most countries). I get the whole aid thing when we’re doing well but at the moment we have our own problems ...

The Paz Man

Sunak set to cut aid budget on 06:46 - Sep 1 with 3333 views26_Paz

Sunak set to cut aid budget on 04:12 - Sep 1 by bournemouthblue

I have no doubt we do some good work which is why cutting it is so morally bankrupt

The old, why are giving India all this money when they have a Space Programme crowd are the ones voting for this government sadly and it's the type of government who are pandering to the hard right

It would be interesting to contrast the amount of money we spent to level parts of the Middle East

People seem totally oblivious to the fact we have helped create this massive migrant crisis and seem.to turn their noses up at the few who are trying to get here

How do you justify giving aid to a country with a space programme? They clearly have money, they just choose not to spend it on helping their poor, it’s not up to us to step in and fill that void.

The Paz Man

Sunak set to cut aid budget on 07:25 - Sep 1 with 3310 viewsbluelagos

Sunak set to cut aid budget on 06:46 - Sep 1 by 26_Paz

How do you justify giving aid to a country with a space programme? They clearly have money, they just choose not to spend it on helping their poor, it’s not up to us to step in and fill that void.

I am happy to justify it. The poor family in poverty in a rural part of India isn't responible for their govt wasting money on a space progeamme, their politicians are.

They are still in desperate need and we can choose to help them or to ignore them due to our disgust at the actions of their politicians. I am happy to help someone even when I think their politicians are misguided, dishonest etc.

Much the same as I am happy to help those in need in the UK who have been let down by self serving politicians.

To justify cuttng aid to the world's most vulnerable people by hiding behind the actions of Indian politicians is pretty pathetic imho.

Sunak set to cut aid budget on 07:33 - Sep 1 with 3297 viewsbluelagos

Sunak set to cut aid budget on 06:45 - Sep 1 by 26_Paz

There’s huge amount of wastage with government expenditure (as there is with most countries). I get the whole aid thing when we’re doing well but at the moment we have our own problems ...

I would argue we have a responsibility to help many developing world countries given

1. Much of our wealth was gained from our exploitation of their resouces / people over centuries.
2. Much of their poverty is a result of our exploitation of their resources / peeople over centuries,

Plus helping people who most need it, it's sort of the non c*ntish thing to do.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024