Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hidden gems of movies 22:26 - Feb 6 with 2633 viewsStNeotsBlue

A while ago there was a great thread of hidden gems and harshly overlooked movies. I've just seen that my suggestion from that thread is on BBC1 tonight after the NFL show. It's called The Place Beyond The Pines and is well worth a watch, starts off seemingly as a standard heist movie before moving in unexpected directions.
Hidden gems of movies on 10:13 - Feb 7 with 2249 viewsCaptainAhab

Will check that out, sounds like my kinda thing.
One of the best movies I've seen recently that no-one seems to have heard of is a thriller called Calibre, about a hunting trip in the scottish highlands gone wrong. Incredibly tense, brilliant little film.
Hidden gems of movies on 10:53 - Feb 7 with 2214 viewsWeWereZombies

It got mixed reviews and was something of a box office disappointment but I think 'Suburbicon' will become a cult classic just for the quirky way it deals with straightforward issues. And for Matt Damon reprising Tom Hanks being a grown man riding a kid's bike in 'Big':

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suburbicon

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Hidden gems of movies on 11:14 - Feb 7 with 2180 viewsghostofescobar

Agree that. Very good film.

GhostOfEscobar

Hidden gems of movies on 11:26 - Feb 7 with 2154 viewsDarth_Koont

I immediately thought of Compliance which is a fascinating psychological thriller set in a fast food restaurant in the States.

It didn’t get anything like the rating on IMDB I think it deserves. However when you know that this is a true story that didn’t just happen once but was repeated multiple times then it’s probably a little too disturbing in the insight it gives into ourselves as humans and the narratives we need to believe.

Corker of a story and a film. I’d say watch the film first to live it but if not read the story on Wikipedia.

Pronouns: He/Him

Hidden gems of movies on 11:36 - Feb 7 with 2134 viewsDarth_Koont

Good shout. Reminds me to watch it again.

Hidden gems of movies on 11:39 - Feb 7 with 2125 viewsDubtractor

Sorry to Bother You from a couple of years ago is great. Tackles some big issues in a very unusual way, and goes really bonkers in the last part.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/sorry_to_bother_you_2018

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Hidden gems of movies on 13:16 - Feb 7 with 2056 viewsArnoldMoorhen

There's loads of credible arthouse gems which never have the budget to reach the audience that they deserve. I'll subvert that with two big budget movies which I always stick with whenever I flick and see that they are on:

The Quick and the Dead. Sharon Stone, Russell Crowe, Gene Hackman and Leonardo Di Caprio in a Western about a gunfighter's contest with some twists along the way. I love it.

Starship Troopers. An Officer and a Gentleman crossed with Top Gun in space! With satire! Lots of satire! And exploding bug guts!

Recent under-appreciated films (in no particular order):

Logan Lucky: a fun heist movie. It's fun! (see also the John Wick

Bad Times at the El Royale: mid-20th century America set film about how the faded glamour of neon lit destination hotels hid a shadow reality of exploitation and extortion in the Senator McCarthy era. If David Lynch and Quentin Tarantino ever made a film together it would look and be like this.

Hell or High Water: A US Marshal goes on one last man-hunt before retirement. Great character studies, real sense of place.

And the more arthouse (subtitled) foreign stuff:

Anything by the French director Jeunet, with my favourites being Delicatessen and MicMacs.

The original French version of The Untouchable. I raved about that on here a few years ago. A great double-header, odd-couple character study, which opens with THE BEST CAR CHASE EVER!

The second best Car Chase ever is in the Swedish gangster noir The Headhunters, but it's not a car. It is a good film, though.

Rogue One. Anyone in their 40s and 50s who gave up on Star Wars because of the downward trajectory into steaming manure of the prequels and sequels: just watch this one. It's hidden in plain sight. But it is a gem. Just stick to the original trilogy and this.

Finally, a couple of comedies:

Irish/British music-driven romp Hear My Song, which is the movie equivalent of a lock-in in a rural Irish pub with the whole room hanging on every word of the old bloke in the corner telling the most implausible story ever. Has a great comedy set-piece with a cow.

The low budget, late 80s, Scottish comedy Restless Natives, which looks dated and was made so cheaply that the two main stars were just locals who attended auditions. It's quite sweet, got some great locations, and the silliest plot for a film ever. I love it.
Hidden gems of movies on 14:01 - Feb 7 with 2002 viewscooperd5

Hidden gems of movies on 13:16 - Feb 7 by ArnoldMoorhen

There's loads of credible arthouse gems which never have the budget to reach the audience that they deserve. I'll subvert that with two big budget movies which I always stick with whenever I flick and see that they are on:

The Quick and the Dead. Sharon Stone, Russell Crowe, Gene Hackman and Leonardo Di Caprio in a Western about a gunfighter's contest with some twists along the way. I love it.

Starship Troopers. An Officer and a Gentleman crossed with Top Gun in space! With satire! Lots of satire! And exploding bug guts!

Bad Times at the El Royale: mid-20th century America set film about how the faded glamour of neon lit destination hotels hid a shadow reality of exploitation and extortion in the Senator McCarthy era. If David Lynch and Quentin Tarantino ever made a film together it would look and be like this.

Hell or High Water: A US Marshal goes on one last man-hunt before retirement. Great character studies, real sense of place.

Anything by the French director Jeunet, with my favourites being Delicatessen and MicMacs.

The original French version of The Untouchable. I raved about that on here a few years ago. A great double-header, odd-couple character study, which opens with THE BEST CAR CHASE EVER!

The second best Car Chase ever is in the Swedish gangster noir The Headhunters, but it's not a car. It is a good film, though.

Rogue One. Anyone in their 40s and 50s who gave up on Star Wars because of the downward trajectory into steaming manure of the prequels and sequels: just watch this one. It's hidden in plain sight. But it is a gem. Just stick to the original trilogy and this.

Irish/British music-driven romp Hear My Song, which is the movie equivalent of a lock-in in a rural Irish pub with the whole room hanging on every word of the old bloke in the corner telling the most implausible story ever. Has a great comedy set-piece with a cow.

The low budget, late 80s, Scottish comedy Restless Natives, which looks dated and was made so cheaply that the two main stars were just locals who attended auditions. It's quite sweet, got some great locations, and the silliest plot for a film ever. I love it.

Ha ha loved Restless Natives back in the day, rewatched on iPlayer and it is,as you say, horribly dated. And 2 up on a GP125 is not the getaway bike of choice!
Login to get fewer ads

Hidden gems of movies on 15:31 - Feb 7 with 1959 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Chronicle. A superhero film, but so different from every other, because it's what would really happen if some youngsters gained superpowers. They don't fight crime or wear garish outfits, they dick about. And as they become corrupted by the power it gets really dark.

The 'handheld camera' style adds to the realism.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Hidden gems of movies on 15:49 - Feb 7 with 1942 viewsRomeo4

Hidden gems of movies on 13:16 - Feb 7 by ArnoldMoorhen

Not a great fan of sub-titles usually but I loved Untouchable.
Hidden gems of movies on 15:55 - Feb 7 with 1936 viewsJ2BLUE

Hidden gems of movies on 15:31 - Feb 7 by The_Flashing_Smile

Chronicle. A superhero film, but so different from every other, because it's what would really happen if some youngsters gained superpowers. They don't fight crime or wear garish outfits, they dick about. And as they become corrupted by the power it gets really dark.

That sounds brilliant.

I'll seek that out. Cheers.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Hidden gems of movies on 19:23 - Feb 8 with 1747 viewsDinDjarin

Hidden gems of movies on 15:31 - Feb 7 by The_Flashing_Smile

Loved Chronicle.

My addition the list is Whiplash and is well worth a look. Powerful stuff.

Cheers for the recommendations and adding them all to my watchlist in IMDB as have run out of films to watch.
Hidden gems of movies on 19:25 - Feb 8 with 1740 viewsKeno

two oldies

Brylcreem Boys - set in a POW camp in Ireland in WW2

Millennium - sci fi linked to air crashes with Cheryl Ladd

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Hidden gems of movies on 19:36 - Feb 8 with 1720 viewsRadlett_blue

I saw "Driven" on a flight last year. It's a 2018 movie about how John De Lorean was set up for a cocaine deal. It's more about the relationship between the 2 main characters (although it definitely isn't close to the truth) & the leads Jason Sudeikis & Lee Pace are excellent. Has some great humour & a brilliant closing line.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Hidden gems of movies on 19:37 - Feb 8 with 1714 viewsMattinLondon

The City of Lost Children - a great film and I think quite overlooked. Possibly as it’s french and subtitled.

Happiness - quite a disturbing film about several different people whose lives become connected.

Hard Candy - not sure if this fills the thread but a good film which I think is quite overlooked.

Think on one of these previous threads I mentioned ‘Near Dark’. A criminally overlooked sci-fi film.
Hidden gems of movies on 19:51 - Feb 8 with 1684 viewsDarth_Koont

Hidden gems of movies on 19:37 - Feb 8 by MattinLondon

The City of Lost Children - a great film and I think quite overlooked. Possibly as it’s french and subtitled.

Happiness - quite a disturbing film about several different people whose lives become connected.

Hard Candy - not sure if this fills the thread but a good film which I think is quite overlooked.

Think on one of these previous threads I mentioned ‘Near Dark’. A criminally overlooked sci-fi film.

Haven’t seen City of Lost Children but based on your other suggestions I’ll give that a go.

Happiness is a great film. Todd Solondz films are always quite intense and that’s no different but there’s too many great lines and great performances not to watch that one repeatedly.

Hidden gems of movies on 19:55 - Feb 8 with 1674 viewsDebsyAngel

There are 2 I love that I doubt anyone has heard of or even seen.

1. Murder On The 13th Floor - about a hotel where lots of gruesome murders are taking place with people who stay there if they dare venture up to that floor. It is very low budget but so creepy.

2. Right To Kill? - about an abusive father who terrorises his wife and kids and the son shoots him. Brilliantly acted, but the domestic violence scenes are really hard to watch.
Hidden gems of movies on 20:00 - Feb 8 with 1660 viewsMattinLondon

Hidden gems of movies on 19:51 - Feb 8 by Darth_Koont

Haven’t seen City of Lost Children but based on your other suggestions I’ll give that a go.

Happiness is a great film. Todd Solondz films are always quite intense and that’s no different but there’s too many great lines and great performances not to watch that one repeatedly.

As long as you don’t mind subtitles then you’ll probably enjoy it.

My mind is a tad blank atm and the only other film which fits this thread (that I can remember) is ‘The Cooler’. It stars William H. Marcy who I think is quite a good actor. I liked the film but a few other people I know didn’t, so maybe not to everyone’s taste.
Hidden gems of movies on 21:49 - Feb 8 with 1598 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Hidden gems of movies on 19:37 - Feb 8 by MattinLondon

The City of Lost Children is also by Jeunet who I mentioned above. I think Delicatessen and MicMacs are more immediately accessible. Amelie is his mass market film, and the most accessible of the lot. The City of Lost Children has a kind of Terry Gilliam meets The Princess Bride via Mad Max feel to it. All his films are beautiful.
Hidden gems of movies on 22:48 - Feb 22 with 1334 viewshatch

Hidden gems of movies on 10:13 - Feb 7 by CaptainAhab

Will check that out, sounds like my kinda thing.
One of the best movies I've seen recently that no-one seems to have heard of is a thriller called Calibre, about a hunting trip in the scottish highlands gone wrong. Incredibly tense, brilliant little film.

Just watched this after your reco.

Very tense but enjoyable and ended well.

I also loved the French Untouchable.

Nightcrawler on Netflix is probably not hidden but it is a gem. Definitely worth a watch
Hidden gems of movies on 23:03 - Feb 22 with 1293 viewsPlums

I haven’t seen it for a while but really enjoyed ‘Was Tun Wenn’s Brennt?’ or ‘What to do in case of Fire’ which has a great plot. A group of anarchists plant a bomb in a building in Berlin but it doesn’t explode until years later when they’re living very different lives.
Also, I watched 71 recently because someone I know is in it. A cracking, gritty film set in the NI troubles.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Hidden gems of movies on 23:03 - Feb 22 with 1293 viewsPhantomsBelievers

I'd add Once Were Warriors to the list.

I'm not sure it's a 'hidden' gem, as in 2014 it was apparently rated the best New Zealand film of all time. However, it is around 27 years old now, with some difficult subject matter, but I still think the acting is superb.
Hidden gems of movies on 11:48 - Mar 4 with 1048 viewsWeWereZombies

I finally got around to watching 'The Place Beyond The Pines' last night (it goes off the iPlayer on Tuesday) - thanks for the recommendation. Thought provoking without being completely mentally taxing.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Hidden gems of movies on 12:57 - Mar 4 with 965 viewssolemio

I once watched a film.
Hidden gems of movies on 13:22 - Mar 4 with 924 viewsOldsmoker

I'm almost sure you must know the Dust website.
It's a collection of short films mainly sc-fi.

https://www.watchdust.tv/home

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024