Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I honestly think we're making the same mistake again 10:07 - May 13 with 1396 viewsHullblue

We're giving the manager so much power that he could set us back five years - much like Hurst did.

A lot's been made of the new structure but where's a Director of Football who has the power to oversee recruitment?

PC's record so far in his career is obviously brilliant, but he's never been responsible for this kind of overhaul before. Not many managers have.

It goes without saying that I hope this works, but it's a huge risk. And yet again we're staking it all on one manager's opinion rather than making sure every decision is part of a long term vision.

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

I honestly think we're making the same mistake again on 10:08 - May 13 with 1377 viewschrismakin

"PC's record so far in his career is obviously brilliant, but he's never been responsible for this kind of overhaul before. Not many managers have."

Yes he has twice. And is very very very good at it.

So good in fact there isnt any other manager at this level I would trust to do it.
[Post edited 13 May 2021 10:11]

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

I honestly think we're making the same mistake again on 10:08 - May 13 with 1370 viewsStokieBlue

Not worth worrying about it at the moment, there is nothing we can do but sit and watch how it unfolds.

We all knew things had to change, I don't think any of us were mentally prepared for the amount of change and as you say it's a huge risk.

We just have to wait and see now.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

I honestly think we're making the same mistake again on 10:09 - May 13 with 1355 viewsSwailsey

"PC's record so far in his career is obviously brilliant, but he's never been responsible for this kind of overhaul before. Not many managers have."

I believe he has done this at least once before, with success.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

I honestly think we're making the same mistake again on 10:11 - May 13 with 1305 viewsgalacticoblue

nah - there is now a proper structure to the club where people must be held to account for decisions rather than one owner ´empowering´ the manager.
I honestly think we're making the same mistake again on 10:12 - May 13 with 1280 viewsitfcpaul

Fancy a Manager with proven success with promotions and over-hauling squads to do it, being given the power to do it again, whatever next

Poll: Who would you want as Ipswich manager in November. there aren't many candidates

I honestly think we're making the same mistake again on 10:12 - May 13 with 1284 viewsitfcjoe

The only thing I'd say is that the new guys will be involved in all this, if it goes wrong for Cook they are still decisions signed off by the powers that be

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

I honestly think we're making the same mistake again on 10:13 - May 13 with 1255 viewsHullblue

I honestly think we're making the same mistake again on 10:08 - May 13 by chrismakin

Yes he has twice. And is very very very good at it.

So good in fact there isnt any other manager at this level I would trust to do it.
[Post edited 13 May 2021 10:11]

Has he? With 20 players out and 20 in in one summer? If so I would genuinely be encouraged by that. I'm sure I've heard him say at one point that you should never sign more than five players in one window.

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

I honestly think we're making the same mistake again on 10:13 - May 13 with 1241 viewsMrTown

Paul Cook got rid of 22 players in his first season at Wigan, and won League 1.

He has done this before, won leagues before, very credible job in the Championship before, and yet some fans are upset because a couple of the academy lads who have been part of abject failure for 2 years in League 1 have got the boot.

Madness.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Login to get fewer ads

I honestly think we're making the same mistake again on 10:15 - May 13 with 1206 viewshomer_123

Whilst we do not know if this approach will work - we can say with a much higher degree of certainty that if we had continued with things as they were - nothing would have changed.

The Club stagnated. It's now excising a large degree of 'dead wood' both in terms of playing personnel and coaching/ support staff and it's not finished yet - in fact, it's only just started.

Will it work - who knows? However, at least we are giving ourselves an opportunity to truly try something different - which at least is different to what has clearly failed before.
[Post edited 13 May 2021 10:37]

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

I honestly think we're making the same mistake again on 10:15 - May 13 with 1195 viewschrismakin

I honestly think we're making the same mistake again on 10:13 - May 13 by Hullblue

Has he? With 20 players out and 20 in in one summer? If so I would genuinely be encouraged by that. I'm sure I've heard him say at one point that you should never sign more than five players in one window.

Yes he has.
This isnt new to him at all.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

I honestly think we're making the same mistake again on 10:18 - May 13 with 1150 viewsGuthrum

I honestly think we're making the same mistake again on 10:12 - May 13 by itfcjoe

The only thing I'd say is that the new guys will be involved in all this, if it goes wrong for Cook they are still decisions signed off by the powers that be

Quite. This isn't just Hurst and Evans. Ashton, O'Leary and the rest of the new scouting/recruitment staff hired will be involved, plus there may have been input from the likes of Dyer and Klug (whom Cook seems to get on with).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

I honestly think we're making the same mistake again on 10:20 - May 13 with 1110 viewsitfctilidie

Are we though?

I am sure we have just got a new Chairman and CEO - what makes you think this isn't a plan from above and Paul Cook is being backed as the man to carry it out?o
I honestly think we're making the same mistake again on 10:22 - May 13 with 1060 viewsSaigonTractor

Setting us back 5 years would put us in the Championship, I'd be fine with that
I honestly think we're making the same mistake again on 10:50 - May 13 with 934 viewsbobbyramsey

I doubt if he's making these decisions alone as we now have a proper infrastructure.....

Unlike Hurst who was just throwing sh!t at the wall....
I honestly think we're making the same mistake again on 10:57 - May 13 with 888 viewsChurchman

I honestly think we're making the same mistake again on 10:50 - May 13 by bobbyramsey

I doubt if he's making these decisions alone as we now have a proper infrastructure.....

Unlike Hurst who was just throwing sh!t at the wall....

Agree with that. The putting in of an infrastructure is the most important thing the club will do this summer. More important than players or even Cook. I doubt in terms of who to bin or keep, future recruitment plans etc etc Ashton, the Chairman and above are unaware. I get the feeling (or is it hope?) these plans have been long in the making.
I honestly think we're making the same mistake again on 10:58 - May 13 with 885 viewsStewart27

I know what you’re saying. Two wrongs don’t necessarily make a right.

However, I feel that something drastic is required to halt the decline. Hirst ripped up a solid championship spine. Cook is ripping up the most pathetic playing squad ever to grace PR.
I honestly think we're making the same mistake again on 11:06 - May 13 with 850 viewsVic

I honestly think we're making the same mistake again on 10:18 - May 13 by Guthrum

Quite. This isn't just Hurst and Evans. Ashton, O'Leary and the rest of the new scouting/recruitment staff hired will be involved, plus there may have been input from the likes of Dyer and Klug (whom Cook seems to get on with).

I think that’s something we might be forgetting. Dyer was fairly gutted by what he saw from the players so I strongly suspect he’s on board with it. And given that he’s been around for a fair while and is so highly thought of I am prepared to trust him.

If he and Klug are not ok with all this I think we’ll soon see them go.

Interesting days.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

I honestly think we're making the same mistake again on 11:21 - May 13 with 801 viewsSwansea_Blue

I honestly think we're making the same mistake again on 10:15 - May 13 by homer_123

Whilst we do not know if this approach will work - we can say with a much higher degree of certainty that if we had continued with things as they were - nothing would have changed.

The Club stagnated. It's now excising a large degree of 'dead wood' both in terms of playing personnel and coaching/ support staff and it's not finished yet - in fact, it's only just started.

Will it work - who knows? However, at least we are giving ourselves an opportunity to truly try something different - which at least is different to what has clearly failed before.
[Post edited 13 May 2021 10:37]

Quite. If you'll excuse the rubbish analogy, electorcuting someone to restart thier heart seems a bit extreme at first glance, but sometimes you need extreme measures. We've lacked a working heart for some time.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024