Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
On reflection then 08:33 - Jul 8 with 1947 viewsSteve_M

What a team this England side is, more than that it's a squad of talented, likeable players, more mature than in Russia three years ago and they might just win this.

As against Germany we had a bad spell, the 15 minutes before Denmark scored were quite similar to the first 10 last week - not keeping the ball, defence too deep and a good side made a lot of that space. A very good free kick but still think Pickford should have done better and I suspect he will, I thought both free kicks leading up to it were generous, the first one looked like one Danish player caught his teammate but the ref had the wrong angle and the second there was an awful lot of shirt pulling by more than just Shaw.

Regardless, we had to react to conceding for the first time all tournament which, after a couple of minutes, we did. Two very good chances deserved an equaliser and I don't think England really looked back from that. There were periods were Denmark had more possession but without the same threat as in the first half and more where England started to dominate.

The penalty was generous but so was the referee's leniency to lots of cynical fouling from Denmark. Watching the highlights again we created a good number of chances leading up to it, the pressure told. Crap kick from Kane but he made the most of it but the contrast in his performances since scoring against Germany is immense. Don't believe anyone who claims that confidence isn't important in sport.

Once we had the lead I thought we were very comfortable, the use of the ball in the second period of extra time was professional and it was almost relaxing. I was more nervous against Germany at the end I think. The final whistle was bloody great though, certainly a moment to reflect on 1990, 1996 and 2018.

And so to the final, Italy have been the best team in the tournament in my opinion even if Spain were the better side on Tuesday. They are possibly slight favourites but England have home advantage. It will be tight, might be decided by a mistake but I can't wait.

Anyway, have a montage:

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

On reflection then on 08:42 - Jul 8 with 1680 viewsKeno

It can be summed up as with the right coaching, the right mix of players and a lot of spirit a team of players can become much greater than the sum of their individual parts

For town Ramsey did it, Robson did it, Burley did it, others more recently haven’t

A lot of credit for this goes to Southgate and his team

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

On reflection then on 08:51 - Jul 8 with 1667 viewsitfcjoe

Gareth Southgate has got it spot on both on and off the pitch, off especially. His approach is refreshing and he is just a superb fit for this role with how he treats the players and how they respect him.

I think harsh on Pickford, he'd have seen it so late and the dip was so vicious, I think because it was relatively central it made it look worse.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

On reflection then on 08:59 - Jul 8 with 1615 viewsElephantintheRoom

Its all very un-England like.

LIke Ramsey, Southgate seems to understand that the best team is not necessarily the best 11 players - though he seems to be taking this to extremes. He also seems to have created a bond between some pretty disparate players - but I suspect this might be more to do with Kane, Henderson Mcguire,Walker etc than meets the eye

I just hope the sun arent holding some old cctv footate of Southgate in a clinch with someone - there has rarely been a more impressive person in football -- well done Middlesborough for sacking him

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

On reflection then on 09:10 - Jul 8 with 1577 viewsFtnfwest

Just hadn't sunk in tbh, no idea how to accept success (or at least this degree of success) for England having gone through so many disappointments. I say 'hadn't' as i just saw the clip of Mount going into the crowd to give his shirt to the little girl in the stand, which got me going/blubbing etc.
On reflection then on 09:14 - Jul 8 with 1562 viewsunstableblue

On reflection then on 08:51 - Jul 8 by itfcjoe

Gareth Southgate has got it spot on both on and off the pitch, off especially. His approach is refreshing and he is just a superb fit for this role with how he treats the players and how they respect him.

I think harsh on Pickford, he'd have seen it so late and the dip was so vicious, I think because it was relatively central it made it look worse.

I think also with the Denmark free kick - it had real pace as well as up and down.

With regard Southgate (and not wanting to make this political) he just shines a light on what is the worst cabinet and PM I can remember in my lifetime - he exudes honesty and integrity, and is seemingly caring and selfless

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

On reflection then on 09:16 - Jul 8 with 1555 viewsRobTheMonk

Shout out to John Stones who I've barely realised is playing, and I mean that in the most complimentary way possible. Has looked so, so solid recently.
On reflection then on 09:19 - Jul 8 with 1540 viewsFtnfwest

On reflection then on 09:16 - Jul 8 by RobTheMonk

Shout out to John Stones who I've barely realised is playing, and I mean that in the most complimentary way possible. Has looked so, so solid recently.

was saying this last night, i know maguire (rightly) gets the headlines in terms of our defence for his forward forays/headed goals, Stones has been superb and actually cleared up one or two mistakes the defensively maguire has made. Miles away from the player he was 3-4 years ago.
On reflection then on 09:21 - Jul 8 with 1535 viewsSteve_M

I did hear David James on R4 shortly after typing that and he had the same view as you, said Pickford didn't see the ball until late and the link Dan shared in the other thread explains why. So, maybe I'm being a bit harsh.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/denmark-goal-engla

Login to get fewer ads

On reflection then on 09:30 - Jul 8 with 1508 viewsMuncher

Agreed.

I'm not sure the FA can take too much credit, having thought Allardyce was the right man for the job in 2016, I think it's a bit of a happy accident that we are where we are now. I think we should be thankful for The Telegraph outing him!
On reflection then on 09:48 - Jul 8 with 1468 viewsBiGDonnie

Couple of points. No keeper in world football saves that free kick, and England have been the best at this tournament, by quite a bit IMO.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

On reflection then on 09:49 - Jul 8 with 1468 viewsGuthrum

Pickford did manage to get his fingertips to it. But even had it been his whole hand, it might not have been enough to stop a ball at that speed from still going in the net.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

On reflection then on 10:03 - Jul 8 with 1445 viewsBloomBlue

As others have said like Sir Alf, Southgate has worked out you don't need to pick the best players to get the results your need to pick the best team.

Too many England managers have been swayed by the media and selected on individual reputation. Last night perfect example Rice and Phillips , I'm sure neither would have been in most experts and fans team probably not even in the squad. They started well but then had a bit of a bad 10 mins but they never gave up running, tackling, chasing and started to wear the Danes down. I remember the attacks by the media on Sir Alf when he didn't pick Greaves, but he ignored them and the rest is history.

The final is going to be difficult but I think Italy will be as concerned about us as we are of them. If Sterling can continue his form the Italians aren't going to like playing against him, lots of free kicks coming our way
On reflection then on 10:37 - Jul 8 with 1386 viewsitfcjoe

On reflection then on 09:48 - Jul 8 by BiGDonnie

Couple of points. No keeper in world football saves that free kick, and England have been the best at this tournament, by quite a bit IMO.

Just posted this on an England board - which is relentlessly negative:

Bar a 15 minute spell leading up to their goal we dominated from start to finish, playing the game in their half and pretty effectively breaking down a very stubborn back 5.

Weren't helped by the ref, the lack of yellows for Denmark really hurt us as allowed Delaney especially to keep fouling, The foul on Kane was a nailed on yellow, a minute later he dragged someone down as they turned, nailed on yellow and a couple more in second half. Despite all that we still totally dominated.

Seen criticism of Rice and Phillips, the Rice stuff is baffling especially when he is there as a holding midfielder who drops in to allow full back to bomb on and we conceded 0.3xG worth of chances last night - do people really not see the shield he is giving Stones and Maguire and focus on his more basic passing. The kid is different class.

It's a very, very well functioning team - Southgate and his coaching staff deserves huge credit. I keep reading that he makes his changes too late, even though when they come on they are making decisive contributions to the games..........it's very strange that the evidence stares in the face and all we hear is counter factuals saying it is wrong and would have been better if we did x, y or z.

Another very controlled performance, and it looked a nailed on penalty to me - don't get this 'soft' narrative. We dominated the chances again, didn't allow the opposition to create any, again. We've conceded 2 'big chances' in the whole tournament (more than 0.3 xG) both v Germany - the Werner and Muller chances.

Across the tournament we have created 19 big chances and conceded 2, looking at Italy they have created 14 and conceded 9, including 3 each to Belgium and Spain.

It's one of the great tournament runs so far, some need to take their head out of their backside and realise that. We are in the final because we totally deserve to be. And Southgate is the man responsible for that.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

On reflection then on 10:41 - Jul 8 with 1359 viewsvapour_trail

Absolutely right, hugely impressive, always has the courage of his conviction as well, taking Grealish off being a case in point.

The masses of people on here criticising our ‘inherently negative’ manager just a couple of weeks ago seem to have gone to ground, happily.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

On reflection then on 10:44 - Jul 8 with 1337 viewsLamp

On reflection then on 10:37 - Jul 8 by itfcjoe

Bar a 15 minute spell leading up to their goal we dominated from start to finish, playing the game in their half and pretty effectively breaking down a very stubborn back 5.

Weren't helped by the ref, the lack of yellows for Denmark really hurt us as allowed Delaney especially to keep fouling, The foul on Kane was a nailed on yellow, a minute later he dragged someone down as they turned, nailed on yellow and a couple more in second half. Despite all that we still totally dominated.

Seen criticism of Rice and Phillips, the Rice stuff is baffling especially when he is there as a holding midfielder who drops in to allow full back to bomb on and we conceded 0.3xG worth of chances last night - do people really not see the shield he is giving Stones and Maguire and focus on his more basic passing. The kid is different class.

It's a very, very well functioning team - Southgate and his coaching staff deserves huge credit. I keep reading that he makes his changes too late, even though when they come on they are making decisive contributions to the games..........it's very strange that the evidence stares in the face and all we hear is counter factuals saying it is wrong and would have been better if we did x, y or z.

Another very controlled performance, and it looked a nailed on penalty to me - don't get this 'soft' narrative. We dominated the chances again, didn't allow the opposition to create any, again. We've conceded 2 'big chances' in the whole tournament (more than 0.3 xG) both v Germany - the Werner and Muller chances.

Across the tournament we have created 19 big chances and conceded 2, looking at Italy they have created 14 and conceded 9, including 3 each to Belgium and Spain.

It's one of the great tournament runs so far, some need to take their head out of their backside and realise that. We are in the final because we totally deserve to be. And Southgate is the man responsible for that.

The lack of yellow cards for Denmark was baffling. Proper cynical stuff. I suspect England would have won within the ninety minutes if they'd been carded more.
On reflection then on 10:49 - Jul 8 with 1306 viewsclive_baker

On reflection then on 10:44 - Jul 8 by Lamp

The lack of yellow cards for Denmark was baffling. Proper cynical stuff. I suspect England would have won within the ninety minutes if they'd been carded more.

The first one should've been shown after about 30 seconds. I thought it at the time, if you're letting deliberate and cynical fouls like that go uncarded where's the incentive to stop doing them.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

On reflection then on 10:50 - Jul 8 with 1298 viewsKropotkin123

Smashed it, great post.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

On reflection then on 10:55 - Jul 8 with 1276 viewsclive_baker

Agree with most of that, although I would have to say the penalty looked a bit soft to me. I thought there was a bigger claim for one on Kane in the 90 minutes. I also thought the free kick that led to their goal was soft against Shaw.

As you say, there were numerous niggly fouls committed by Denmark throughout which went uncarded. On balance I would say we got the raw end of the decisions to be honest.

However you cut it, if you watched that game and came to the conclusion that England were fortunate then I'm not sure you were truly neutral. 60% possession, 10 shots on target to their 3. The fact Schmeichel was arguably MOTM tells you a lot.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

On reflection then on 10:57 - Jul 8 with 1266 viewsBiGDonnie

The only thing wrong with this post is the fact you didn't post it here first!

Absolutely spot on, we've controlled every game we've played. Every single Englishman has been outstanding. The Rice stuff is a joke, he's one of our most important players and has been a brick wall the entire tournament.

It's actually coming home.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

On reflection then on 11:06 - Jul 8 with 1233 viewsBarcaBlue

Good summary of points. Regarding subsitutions, Denmark showed the potential error of making them too early. Even the subs tired and the whole team lost energy after 70 minutes, showed more in extra time and finished with them down to 10 men.
On reflection then on 11:12 - Jul 8 with 1214 viewsSteve_M

There's some weird, over the top criticism of Southgate going around. Some of that is just the usual club-based stuff when he doesn't pick their players but it seems a lot more than that.

I suppose at national level you have the range of approaches to watching football you do at club level but so many more reactionary fans. And for that approach everything always has to be someone's fault, there's always a better player, manager or an easy answer.

If that were the case for England then the tournament record might be rather better than it is at the moment. I think it was you posted elsewhere that Southgate is an ideal international manager and that shows in the high pressure environment of a tournament.

On reflection then on 11:43 - Jul 8 with 1112 viewsGuthrum

Think a lot of it comes down to a misunderstanding of how this England team play. It's not about individual flashiness - tho we do rely on that for the attacking moments - more functioning as a unit, having a strategy for the entire game (e.g. knowing when we want to change up and become more aggressive) and operating within a framework.

That efficiency over flair has got us to the final of a major tounament for the first time since 1966.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

On reflection then on 11:54 - Jul 8 with 1069 viewsm14_blue

On reflection then on 10:41 - Jul 8 by vapour_trail

Absolutely right, hugely impressive, always has the courage of his conviction as well, taking Grealish off being a case in point.

The masses of people on here criticising our ‘inherently negative’ manager just a couple of weeks ago seem to have gone to ground, happily.

I was one who thought he was too cautious.

I was totally wrong.

I always knew he was a classy man but he's proven to be a classy manager too.
On reflection then on 11:55 - Jul 8 with 1064 viewsSteve_M

On reflection then on 11:06 - Jul 8 by BarcaBlue

Good summary of points. Regarding subsitutions, Denmark showed the potential error of making them too early. Even the subs tired and the whole team lost energy after 70 minutes, showed more in extra time and finished with them down to 10 men.

It's hard to have that much sympathy for a side losing a player to injury when they had made six substitutions.

On reflection then on 12:19 - Jul 8 with 1014 viewsfarkenhell

Very well said. I cannot believe anyone is being negative the day after we reached our first final for 55 years. Bloody hell!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024