Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Can we just say 09:03 - Oct 20 with 3008 viewshype313

That there seems to be a lot of posters that are looking to win the internet, on both sides, which is a sad state of affairs considering we all collectively want the club to do well.

The majority on here are overjoyed with the result and the performance and long may that continue, but to have doubts, misgivings so far this season isn't unwarranted either.

I have said on many occasions I desperately want Cook to succeed, but also questioned his performances so far in his tenure here from day one, the two aren't mutually exclusive and to see posters jump on here with "How's the Cowleys looking now" "You Cook outers look silly" is painful to see.

Oh FWIW I wanted the Cowley's over Cook initially, and yes they are struggling and took a hiding last night, but given the investment between the two sides, it's not comparing apples with apples, I very much doubt Cook would be doing much better, or anyone for that fact with the players at their disposal.

It's so black and white on here, and sometimes, a lot of the time there is the grey area which is generally where the land lies.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Can we just say on 09:11 - Oct 20 with 2486 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Agree but, I think you've forgotten where you are. Grey is for real life, this is the Internet.
Most people only operate here in Black or White, it's a football forum.

Take it from me, when you realise this, you'll live a lot longer.
[Post edited 20 Oct 2021 9:11]

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Can we just say on 09:11 - Oct 20 with 2480 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Can we just say on 09:15 - Oct 20 with 2451 viewsSouperJim

I agree with you, however I think it's clear there is a general upward trend in both our performances and results. The rampant bedwetting following an away draw for example, is imho a bigger crime than people getting carried away with the scorelines against Doncaster and Portsmouth.

Ultimately we are a third tier side building a brand new team and fans from all sides need to start viewing us through that lens.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Can we just say on 09:17 - Oct 20 with 2435 viewsTractorWood

We are 13th in league one. There is nothing to gloat or take the moral high ground about.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Can we just say on 09:18 - Oct 20 with 2430 viewshype313

Can we just say on 09:15 - Oct 20 by SouperJim

I agree with you, however I think it's clear there is a general upward trend in both our performances and results. The rampant bedwetting following an away draw for example, is imho a bigger crime than people getting carried away with the scorelines against Doncaster and Portsmouth.

Ultimately we are a third tier side building a brand new team and fans from all sides need to start viewing us through that lens.

I actually think we are starting to see the players settle into their roles now, obviously there were teething problems with so many new players and we struggled to find a fit for the 10 role, now that Chaplin has cemented that role hopefully we will see more fluidity throughout the team.

Can we just say on 09:24 - Oct 20 with 2387 viewsSwansea_Blue

Can we just say on 09:17 - Oct 20 by TractorWood

We are 13th in league one. There is nothing to gloat or take the moral high ground about.

Yet at the same time were one of the current form teams in the division and have just scored 16 goals in the last 6 games, which is great entertainment. Surely we can be happy about that, whilst also recognising there's still a lot of work to be done?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Can we just say on 09:26 - Oct 20 with 2372 viewshype313

Can we just say on 09:24 - Oct 20 by Swansea_Blue

Yet at the same time were one of the current form teams in the division and have just scored 16 goals in the last 6 games, which is great entertainment. Surely we can be happy about that, whilst also recognising there's still a lot of work to be done?

Indeed, 27 goals in 13 games, tighten up at the back a bit more and things will fall into place nicely.

Can we just say on 09:33 - Oct 20 with 2346 viewsbluefunk

What frustrates me about much of the negativity that has been prevalent on here is the inability to consider that for any club to be succesful, everyone needs to be pushing in the same direction and that includes the fans (and for the record I am not saying its the fans fault if we dont perform).

The relentless whining that we've had over the past few months comes from the same place (if not the same people) that booing the team comes from and its not helpful. To want the Manager sacked after 12 games into a new project - seriously? A guy with his record?

Cook may or not be the solution, but stirring up negativity only makes his job harder.
Login to get fewer ads

Can we just say on 09:34 - Oct 20 with 2321 viewsHerbivore

Can we just say on 09:18 - Oct 20 by hype313

I actually think we are starting to see the players settle into their roles now, obviously there were teething problems with so many new players and we struggled to find a fit for the 10 role, now that Chaplin has cemented that role hopefully we will see more fluidity throughout the team.

Chaplin has been excellent lately and looks to have nailed down that number 10 role for now in a way that Fraser hasn't been able to, although in fairness to Fraser he's often been shunted out on the left. That's the area of the team that really hasn't worked that well so if a Chaplin can continue to grow into that role that will make a big difference. The wide slots still look up for grabs. Buurns has done enough for me to have the right side as his but Aluko's recent form has also been excellent, so maybe he should have a run on the left. That leaves Edwards, Celina, and Fraser on the bench which is a bit mental.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Can we just say on 09:37 - Oct 20 with 2317 viewshomer_123

Can we just say on 09:26 - Oct 20 by hype313

Indeed, 27 goals in 13 games, tighten up at the back a bit more and things will fall into place nicely.

Assuming tightening up at the back means we still score the same amount of goals....typically, when you become more solid at the back this comes at the expense of goals, not always but more often than not - it's about finding that balance.

Against the lesser teams you can play a little more expansively, against better teams, a bit tighter and then adjust within each game as play dictates.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Can we just say on 09:43 - Oct 20 with 2278 viewshype313

Can we just say on 09:34 - Oct 20 by Herbivore

Chaplin has been excellent lately and looks to have nailed down that number 10 role for now in a way that Fraser hasn't been able to, although in fairness to Fraser he's often been shunted out on the left. That's the area of the team that really hasn't worked that well so if a Chaplin can continue to grow into that role that will make a big difference. The wide slots still look up for grabs. Buurns has done enough for me to have the right side as his but Aluko's recent form has also been excellent, so maybe he should have a run on the left. That leaves Edwards, Celina, and Fraser on the bench which is a bit mental.

It does seem absurd having those on the bench, but right now that three of Aluko, Chaplin and Burns is working well, and hard to shift them given their form.

Fraser has shown pockets of nice play, but he also does look like he's running through treacle and the play slows down when he gets the ball, but as you say, he's been shunted out to a position he's not familiar with. Celina just hasn't looked like the player we all expected, but he didn't really have a pre season to speak of and a nasty heart condition, so in time I'm sure he will be firing on all cylinders and Edwards just looks like he's trying to hard.

But to have all these players will be a huge benefit as it's a long season and we will have players dropping off through form and Injury, great to have all these options.

Can we just say on 09:48 - Oct 20 with 2255 viewsLankHenners

Incredibly strange behaviour- we win 4-0 and some people are more interested in having a swipe at other posters than enjoying the win.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Can we just say on 09:50 - Oct 20 with 2238 viewshype313

Can we just say on 09:48 - Oct 20 by LankHenners

Incredibly strange behaviour- we win 4-0 and some people are more interested in having a swipe at other posters than enjoying the win.

The ignore list has grown exponentially over the past few weeks.

Can we just say on 09:52 - Oct 20 with 2224 viewsTractorBoyOlly

My point stands.

There is some absolute dross on here and it’s not just Ipswich fans hounding cook, see the Portsmouth media altercation last night. It clearly affects people you never know what someone is going through.

I read this forum and comment as I like healthy debate but it’s become far from healthy recently.

Poll: Final points total?

Can we just say on 09:53 - Oct 20 with 2214 viewsDarth_Koont

Can we just say on 09:26 - Oct 20 by hype313

Just to say that since the Bolton wake-up call we’ve conceded the joint fewest goals (6 goals in 7 games, 4 of which were away).

Donacien, Edmundson, Morsy and defending/taking care of the ball a little better higher up the pitch have made us a lot better, even if it feels like we’re still capable of conceding a sloppy goal. And we still haven’t developed a CB partnership or better trust/communication with the keeper. Get that right and we’ll be very tough to play against.

Pronouns: He/Him

Can we just say on 09:56 - Oct 20 with 2188 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Can we just say on 09:48 - Oct 20 by LankHenners

The opposite's true when we draw or lose.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Can we just say on 09:56 - Oct 20 with 2182 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Look at you, trying to win the internet.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Can we just say on 09:57 - Oct 20 with 2181 viewsBlueySwede

Agree with most of what you are saying. It´s ridiculous to make out everything as great or perfect after a win, or horrible after a loss.
BUT! I do think there is a few "fans" out there that honestly don´t really want us to well, the ones that are only commentating when we have lost. They seem to thrive on negativity and stirring up things.
But the vast majority of us want the same thing - success for Ipswich Town!
Can we just say on 09:59 - Oct 20 with 2171 viewshype313

Can we just say on 09:56 - Oct 20 by The_Flashing_Smile

Look at you, trying to win the internet.

Touche!

Doing a good job I think...

Can we just say on 10:01 - Oct 20 with 2148 viewsHerbivore

Can we just say on 09:34 - Oct 20 by Herbivore

Weird post to down vote, Arnie. What do you disagree with? Chaplin, Aluko and Burns have been good lately haven't they?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Can we just say on 10:02 - Oct 20 with 2148 viewsDavoIPB

Tactically the Cowley's made some very strange decisions last night. They changed it up second half giving us lots of space and invited pressure onto their defence. They substituted a striker for a striker. I would not have been pleased if Cook had acted in the same way.
Can we just say on 10:27 - Oct 20 with 2099 viewsSouperJim

Can we just say on 09:33 - Oct 20 by bluefunk

What frustrates me about much of the negativity that has been prevalent on here is the inability to consider that for any club to be succesful, everyone needs to be pushing in the same direction and that includes the fans (and for the record I am not saying its the fans fault if we dont perform).

The relentless whining that we've had over the past few months comes from the same place (if not the same people) that booing the team comes from and its not helpful. To want the Manager sacked after 12 games into a new project - seriously? A guy with his record?

Cook may or not be the solution, but stirring up negativity only makes his job harder.

Fantastic post.

I see repeated statements along the lines of "we're ipswich town, we should be doing better", "lowest league position for 50 years", "good results don't count because we're only playing crap teams" etc.

We are where we are. Paul Cook didn't deliver us into the third tier, Marcus Evans and a sucession of poor managers did. Yes we've thrown a lot of money around relative to our level and big expectation goes with that, however as has been proven time and time again, money alone can't buy progress.

I'm as frustrated as anybody that our start to the season was so poor, we have let the lead slip away in so many games, we continue to look soft at times and fail to consistiently manage games in the right way. But our results post-Bolton don't lie, we are improving and we are moving up the table. Whether Cook is the right man to see us into the top 6 or not remains to be seen, but at least we are heading in the right direction.

I'm not saying don't question what's going on or don't be critical where it is merited. But there needs to be a little balance to it and a general realisation that we are not going to become the finished article overnight. We will drop points in other games against oppposition some deem to be beneath us, but so long as we keep moving in the right general direction overall, the team deserve our support. Not endless moaning about every bad moment/half/result.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Can we just say on 12:22 - Oct 20 with 1974 viewstractorshark

Can we just say on 10:27 - Oct 20 by SouperJim

Fantastic post.

I see repeated statements along the lines of "we're ipswich town, we should be doing better", "lowest league position for 50 years", "good results don't count because we're only playing crap teams" etc.

We are where we are. Paul Cook didn't deliver us into the third tier, Marcus Evans and a sucession of poor managers did. Yes we've thrown a lot of money around relative to our level and big expectation goes with that, however as has been proven time and time again, money alone can't buy progress.

I'm as frustrated as anybody that our start to the season was so poor, we have let the lead slip away in so many games, we continue to look soft at times and fail to consistiently manage games in the right way. But our results post-Bolton don't lie, we are improving and we are moving up the table. Whether Cook is the right man to see us into the top 6 or not remains to be seen, but at least we are heading in the right direction.

I'm not saying don't question what's going on or don't be critical where it is merited. But there needs to be a little balance to it and a general realisation that we are not going to become the finished article overnight. We will drop points in other games against oppposition some deem to be beneath us, but so long as we keep moving in the right general direction overall, the team deserve our support. Not endless moaning about every bad moment/half/result.

Spot on. I freely admit Cook wasn't my first choice when he got the job. I felt Ipswich fans were being seduced by one performance in the Cup, whereas my Pompey mates were telling me he cocked up promotion in his first season there.
But I wasn't unhappy with the appointment and I gave him the benefit of the doubt when he threw last season's squad under the bus (unnecessarily in my opinion), costing us any hope of promotion.
I was far from convinced after watching us at Cheltenham and against Wimbledon and Bolton but my head was telling me sacking him then would be foolish. You just go back to square one and write off another season in League One.
I thought he'd get until the November international break if results didn't improve.
Well, credit to Cook and the players, they have improved.
I was frustrated by the result at Cambridge but I said at the time that booing the team when it hasn't lost or calling for Cook's head after a game like that is daft.
Yes, question his tactics and you can't deny his record at Ipswich is still pretty poor.
But even in August and early September, it never felt like a Paul Hurst situation.
I always thought Cook would make some improvement, even if long-term he may not be the man for us.
And it is quite clear we are going in the right direction under him. Last night was an excellent performance and one of my favourite away days for ages.
I'm not going to proclaim Cook as the Messiah, or indeed Ashton or the new owners for that matter, it's too early for all that.
But, credit where it's due, we are scoring goals, playing decent football and, for the first time in a long time, I genuinely believe we are on an upward curve.
No doubt there will be bumps on the way but I think it's time to stop the Cook In/Cook Out debate and give him the season to do his job.
Can we just say on 12:58 - Oct 20 with 1893 viewsChurchman

Can we just say on 10:27 - Oct 20 by SouperJim

Fantastic post.

I agree with this. Especially the paragraph regarding what Cook inherited and the general direction we are heading.

It’s hard to do that when you see us collapse in the face of organised, motivated sides. The big picture for me can go right out of the window and ‘why can’t we dominate a team paid collectively a bag of peanuts’ kick in when we get chased around by Accrington. Frustrations of a football supporter that the decades don’t diminish.

I don’t have a problem with Cook’s performance being scrutinised. The days of give the manager three years are long gone. So much has gone right with the club since March with the exception of the team. Whichever way you look at it, the start has been poor. But you are spot on to point out the general direction which is an improving one so credit where it’s due. Well done PC, coaches and the players.

The team will always get people’s support and after years of abject dross, I think the level of ITFC support is remarkable. I don’t have a problem with people using a football forum as an ‘out’. TWTD was a godsend for that during lockdown, for example. Booing players in the ground, abusing managers in the way MM was etc - that’s something I can never agree with.
Can we just say on 13:18 - Oct 20 with 1835 viewsVic

Can we just say on 09:43 - Oct 20 by hype313

It does seem absurd having those on the bench, but right now that three of Aluko, Chaplin and Burns is working well, and hard to shift them given their form.

Fraser has shown pockets of nice play, but he also does look like he's running through treacle and the play slows down when he gets the ball, but as you say, he's been shunted out to a position he's not familiar with. Celina just hasn't looked like the player we all expected, but he didn't really have a pre season to speak of and a nasty heart condition, so in time I'm sure he will be firing on all cylinders and Edwards just looks like he's trying to hard.

But to have all these players will be a huge benefit as it's a long season and we will have players dropping off through form and Injury, great to have all these options.

Ask Sir Alf - the best team isn’t always made up of the best players!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024