Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New fullbacks needed 23:07 - Dec 1 with 1593 viewskizaitfc

I dont think any of them are good enough.

They all looked weak against bunch of kids.

KVY and Penney are good going forwards but often no end product and defensively they are a shambles.

JD much better defensively but struggles getting forwards.

If Coulson isn't going to stay fit I'd be looking at signing two new fullbacks in Jan

Poll: Mick in or out? (not a dig at Mick just want to see the overall opinion on here)

New fullbacks needed on 23:12 - Dec 1 with 1373 viewsChocorange

Agree 100% , full backs are our weakness and also key to Cooks system working
New fullbacks needed on 23:18 - Dec 1 with 1344 viewswkj

I don't think JD struggles going forward as a rule, but he clearly works better with Wes Burns. He's done we with Aluko, but Donacien and Burns is a partnership we're missing badly.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

New fullbacks needed on 23:34 - Dec 1 with 1304 viewskizaitfc

New fullbacks needed on 23:18 - Dec 1 by wkj

I don't think JD struggles going forward as a rule, but he clearly works better with Wes Burns. He's done we with Aluko, but Donacien and Burns is a partnership we're missing badly.

KVY shows its possible to get forward without Burns.

But I do get your point partnerships are key, and JD and Burns work well. But then again KVY and Burns had a very good game together against Wycombe.

Maybe JD at Right CB would give KVY a bit more cover.

Poll: Mick in or out? (not a dig at Mick just want to see the overall opinion on here)

New fullbacks needed on 23:44 - Dec 1 with 1263 viewschrismakin

Easy way to solve it

Burgess LB. Penney LW

Donacien RB. Burns/Aluko RW.

Job done.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

New fullbacks needed on 23:46 - Dec 1 with 1255 viewsStokieBlue

New fullbacks needed on 23:44 - Dec 1 by chrismakin

Easy way to solve it

Burgess LB. Penney LW

Donacien RB. Burns/Aluko RW.

Job done.

We are back with Penney at LW?

Someone who can't cross at all and barely can beat someone. Given you want Chaplin in the middle this means you're dropping Celina for Penney?

Burgess at LB? He's clearly shown he's pretty poor there.

Another bonkers hot take.

It's gotten to the point that if you say enough things some of them will come true and you'll point to those and ignore all the nonsense which doesn't come true.

SB
[Post edited 1 Dec 2021 23:47]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

New fullbacks needed on 23:51 - Dec 1 with 1223 viewskizaitfc

New fullbacks needed on 23:46 - Dec 1 by StokieBlue

Someone who can't cross at all and barely can beat someone. Given you want Chaplin in the middle this means you're dropping Celina for Penney?

It's gotten to the point that if you say enough things some of them will come true and you'll point to those and ignore all the nonsense which doesn't come true.

SB

Agree I dont think Penney is the answer unfortunately.

Coulson far more effective so fingers crossed he gets through this injury and returns as a reliable lb

New fullbacks needed on 23:51 - Dec 1 with 1221 viewschrismakin

SB

Actually SB. I'd keep celina in the middle. Pcs ruined the good in Chaplin quite quickly so may aswell stick with celina there now.

Burgess hasn't shown he's poor at LB at all so poor hot take there SB. But our choice is penney or Clements so as the OP said new fullbacks needed in Jan anyway.

But what to do short term. That was my opinion. Don't need to share it or agree with it. That's fine. It's not a hot take its a personal view in reply to the OP.

We will no doubt continue floating between celina and Edwards at lw. That's fine if we win.

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

New fullbacks needed on 23:53 - Dec 1 with 1220 viewsSitfcB

SB

Good assist from Penney tonight to be fair. About the only thing he did.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Login to get fewer ads

New fullbacks needed on 01:07 - Dec 2 with 1149 viewsGarv

SB

Penney literally crossed the ball onto Jackson's foot to score tonight.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

New fullbacks needed on 07:13 - Dec 2 with 1019 viewsBarcaBlue

New fullbacks needed on 01:07 - Dec 2 by Garv

Penney was dreadful for the first 30 minutes or so, giving the ball away in dangerous areas and offering nothing in attack. He popped up with a very good assist and then was anonymous for the second half along with the majority of his team mates.

There's no way he should be shoe-horned in on LW. KVY could be given a run at LB and Penney on the bench, or at home.
New fullbacks needed on 07:24 - Dec 2 with 1002 viewsSteve_M

More players, it's always more players. It's never about the coaching to get more out of them is there.

There might be some deep structural failings with this team, indeed any combination of players we put out that aren't about individuals. This is the third division, players will make mistakes.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

New fullbacks needed on 07:32 - Dec 2 with 987 viewsHerbivore

New fullbacks needed on 07:24 - Dec 2 by Steve_M

More players, it's always more players. It's never about the coaching to get more out of them is there.

There might be some deep structural failings with this team, indeed any combination of players we put out that aren't about individuals. This is the third division, players will make mistakes.

More players seems to be the only solution that a section of the fan base are willing to countenance. Some are so heavily invested in Cook being the right man for us that they refuse to see that perhaps the fact he's struggled to get a tune out of two sqauds and an array of starting XIs might be down to how he's coaching them, setting them up, and motivating them.

I'm struggling to see any underlying issue that we've had under Cook since he came in that we could honestly say has been definitely addressed. The soft underbelly is still there, games where we knock it around without really creating much still happen more often than we'd like, we don't know what to do when teams change it up against us, we lack a Plan B, and we often start poorly in second halves. People talk about us being able to have a pretty good goal of the season contest already and that's great from the point of view of seeing good goals, but it does also back up the feeling I have that without some individual moments of brilliance we're really not very good as a team.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

New fullbacks needed on 07:34 - Dec 2 with 980 viewsStokieBlue

New fullbacks needed on 01:07 - Dec 2 by Garv

What's your point?

Doing it once isn't consistent, he's been historically poor at crossing in my opinion.

Creating strange stances based on the latest match is a trend of some users.

There is absolutely no way Penney should play LW given the squad we have.

SB
[Post edited 2 Dec 2021 7:35]

New fullbacks needed on 07:35 - Dec 2 with 973 viewsSteve_M

New fullbacks needed on 07:32 - Dec 2 by Herbivore

More players seems to be the only solution that a section of the fan base are willing to countenance. Some are so heavily invested in Cook being the right man for us that they refuse to see that perhaps the fact he's struggled to get a tune out of two sqauds and an array of starting XIs might be down to how he's coaching them, setting them up, and motivating them.

I'm struggling to see any underlying issue that we've had under Cook since he came in that we could honestly say has been definitely addressed. The soft underbelly is still there, games where we knock it around without really creating much still happen more often than we'd like, we don't know what to do when teams change it up against us, we lack a Plan B, and we often start poorly in second halves. People talk about us being able to have a pretty good goal of the season contest already and that's great from the point of view of seeing good goals, but it does also back up the feeling I have that without some individual moments of brilliance we're really not very good as a team.

Well, I suppose the Summer was the best time to be a Town fan since the Robson era so another five players in January might make up for us being a bit crap.

It's really hard to look at those persistent failings, on and off the ball, and the quality of the coaching team and not see a very strong link.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

New fullbacks needed on 07:37 - Dec 2 with 957 viewsHerbivore

New fullbacks needed on 07:34 - Dec 2 by StokieBlue

What's your point?

Doing it once isn't consistent, he's been historically poor at crossing in my opinion.

SB

Penney is basically Luke Garbutt, but a Luke Garbutt who's had both his Achilles tendons severed. No chance he should be playing in our XI as a left winger, nor as a full back ideally.

New fullbacks needed on 07:44 - Dec 2 with 938 viewsDubtractor

But Cook signed 2 of our current fullbacks, and just gave a new contract to another.

What does thar say about him?

We signed 19 new players in the summer, giving us at least 2 options for every position on the pitch. The idea that we need to sack some of them off already is fooking mental.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

New fullbacks needed on 07:46 - Dec 2 with 929 viewsHerbivore

New fullbacks needed on 07:44 - Dec 2 by Dubtractor

But Cook signed 2 of our current fullbacks, and just gave a new contract to another.

What does thar say about him?

We signed 19 new players in the summer, giving us at least 2 options for every position on the pitch. The idea that we need to sack some of them off already is fooking mental.

It's quite interesting that the give him time brigade are already suggesting we revamp a squad the majority of which was brought in over the summer, and yet they insist it's too early to make any judgement about the manager. I think we may be at the cognitive dissonance stage already.

New fullbacks needed on 08:20 - Dec 2 with 845 viewsstopmoaning

We don't need more players, we need better people to coach them.
New fullbacks needed on 08:22 - Dec 2 with 833 viewsgeg1992

I agree but assumed I'd get slated for saying it. This formation relies so heavily on good, all round fullbacks. None of ours currently fit that bill.

I do like Donacien, but he needs to contribute more going forwards.

Poll: Who would you play in place of Burns on Sunday?

New fullbacks needed on 10:32 - Dec 2 with 719 viewsGarv

New fullbacks needed on 07:34 - Dec 2 by StokieBlue

What's your point?

SB

Don't get me wrong, I don't want him playing LW. I never understand people wanting to move left backs up the pitch just because they like attacking. You wouldn't play Cresswell at left wing.

You said Penney can't cross though, which is clearly wrong. He is inconsistent, I'll give you that, but so is Edwards, so is Celina, most attacking players in fact.

Penney can be criticised for his defensive work (even then he should be playing LB while HC is injured), but he really doesn't need to be got at for his work in the final third. He's an outlet and isn't scared of putting the ball in the box. Did you see the difference when he came on for Clements against Rotherham?

New fullbacks needed on 10:35 - Dec 2 with 695 viewsHerbivore

New fullbacks needed on 10:32 - Dec 2 by Garv

Don't get me wrong, I don't want him playing LW. I never understand people wanting to move left backs up the pitch just because they like attacking. You wouldn't play Cresswell at left wing.

You said Penney can't cross though, which is clearly wrong. He is inconsistent, I'll give you that, but so is Edwards, so is Celina, most attacking players in fact.

Penney can be criticised for his defensive work (even then he should be playing LB while HC is injured), but he really doesn't need to be got at for his work in the final third. He's an outlet and isn't scared of putting the ball in the box. Did you see the difference when he came on for Clements against Rotherham?

I saw him pass the ball out of play a few times against a Rotherham side happy to sit on their 2 goal cushion. It made zero difference to the scoreline.

New fullbacks needed on 10:40 - Dec 2 with 677 viewsStokieBlue

New fullbacks needed on 10:32 - Dec 2 by Garv

I'm not sure it's consistency, I simply don't think he can cross very well. Even bad crossers are occasionally going to get it right, that's different to inconsistency.
Comparisons to Celina are mind boggling to me given his stats show he is pretty consistent.

Being better than Clements at this stage isn't really something we should be writing home about.

My main point was, which you seem to agree with, is that CM's original take was bizarre as usual.

SB

New fullbacks needed on 10:43 - Dec 2 with 664 viewsclive_baker

If we merged a couple together on each side we would probably end up with a decent fullback. Unfortunately, we can't. Donacien is solid enough and reliable but he isn't the marauding overlapping right back Cook needs in this system. That said, he's the best we've got there that gives us some defensive balance. I would start KVY on the left until Coulson comes back. Penney looks absolutely dreadful every time I've seen him play, so he's a no for me.

3 behind Bonne of Celina, Chaplin, Burns when fit. Aluko for Burns when not.

Stop messing around, let's play our best players and see what we can do.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

New fullbacks needed on 10:47 - Dec 2 with 657 viewschrismakin

New fullbacks needed on 10:40 - Dec 2 by StokieBlue

I'm not sure it's consistency, I simply don't think he can cross very well. Even bad crossers are occasionally going to get it right, that's different to inconsistency.
Comparisons to Celina are mind boggling to me given his stats show he is pretty consistent.

Being better than Clements at this stage isn't really something we should be writing home about.

My main point was, which you seem to agree with, is that CM's original take was bizarre as usual.

SB

So Sb, what's your answer?

You clearly show you love of Celina, but you appear to want him to own the left and the 10 role as you state he's better than anyone..

When hes on the left, the drifting is needed for him to play at his best, which then left clements on his own as seen last week.. second half funnily enough we saw him stay wide and we all saw how this effected things negatively.

So really we want celina in the 10 role.

So that leaves the LW spot. who;s best for it?
Edwards for what exactly? the off the ball stuff, or the dribbles as we just aren't getting any product

fraser? lack of mobility...

so you say there are plenty of options, what are they that are actually positive options for that left side..

It's all well and good saying im talking sht. that;s fine. But in comparison, Penney has more goals and assists than Edwards. As you say, stats dont lie

New fullbacks needed on 10:52 - Dec 2 with 630 viewsGarv

New fullbacks needed on 10:40 - Dec 2 by StokieBlue

SB

I'll agree with that.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024