Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The absolute apathy around every single manager linked 20:23 - Dec 14 with 3903 viewsCheltenham_Blue

just goes to show how good Cook should have been for us and its a shock that he couldn't get it right.

Ashton and co really need to pull this one out of the bag

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

The absolute apathy around every single manager linked on 20:26 - Dec 14 with 2747 viewsIllinoisblue

In its own dismal way it’s probably a good thing, lowers expectations and then we go on a crazy run in the second half of the season

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

The absolute apathy around every single manager linked on 20:33 - Dec 14 with 2714 viewsCheltenham_Blue

The absolute apathy around every single manager linked on 20:26 - Dec 14 by Illinoisblue

In its own dismal way it’s probably a good thing, lowers expectations and then we go on a crazy run in the second half of the season

I don't think it does. The 'new dawn' has only served to raise expectations.

If they don't get the right man, he'll get months only before the atmosphere in Portman Road goes and we've got booing at half time and full time again.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

The absolute apathy around every single manager linked on 20:39 - Dec 14 with 2697 viewsTheBoyBlue

I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter who our manager is. We could end up getting Klopp or Guardiola and we'd be rubbish or we might get one of the bar staff in and they'll be the best manager we've ever had. I'll support whoever we get, but I've given up having any expectations.

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

The absolute apathy around every single manager linked on 21:14 - Dec 14 with 2577 viewsjayessess

The absolute apathy around every single manager linked on 20:33 - Dec 14 by Cheltenham_Blue

If they don't get the right man, he'll get months only before the atmosphere in Portman Road goes and we've got booing at half time and full time again.

Alternately, after our last 3 managers, any new boss who gets us playing at a level that's anywhere vaguely near commensurate with our budget is going to be treated like an absolute genius messiah.
[Post edited 14 Dec 2021 22:04]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

The absolute apathy around every single manager linked on 21:24 - Dec 14 with 2535 viewsArnieM

Cook was given 20 league games with his new squad : ridiculously short period of time. I hope this doesn’t come back to haunt us …. as it usually appears too at this Club .

We’ve become a hire & fire, knee jerk Club. Where’s the patience gone?

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

The absolute apathy around every single manager linked on 21:30 - Dec 14 with 2498 viewsIllinoisblue

The absolute apathy around every single manager linked on 21:24 - Dec 14 by ArnieM

Cook was given 20 league games with his new squad : ridiculously short period of time. I hope this doesn’t come back to haunt us …. as it usually appears too at this Club .

Cook had 3 good results in 44 games. He deserves very little sympathy

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

The absolute apathy around every single manager linked on 21:35 - Dec 14 with 2467 viewsfooters

The names put forward certainly don't fill me with much/if any hope.

But Cook failed here and he can't have too many complaints given results and performances.

Really hoping for a shock appointment now.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

The absolute apathy around every single manager linked on 21:37 - Dec 14 with 2469 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

The absolute apathy around every single manager linked on 21:24 - Dec 14 by ArnieM

His decision to start over.

9 months is plenty of time to sow some seeds of hope.

He couldn't even get more than 2 wins in a row, and only did that once.

I had high hopes for him, unfortunately his big mistake was hiring a team of coaches with zero first team coaching experience to drill his new hand picked squad.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Login to get fewer ads

The absolute apathy around every single manager linked on 21:40 - Dec 14 with 2434 viewsChurchman

He should have been, but he wasn’t. Cook was who we needed, but he made a right mess of it. He only has himself to blame.

I just hope whoever we get is a better fit and gets on with it. And breaks this never ending trend of rubbish we’ve had to endure. It’s a great opportunity for somebody.
The absolute apathy around every single manager linked on 22:04 - Dec 14 with 2339 viewsMullet

But they're the only ones whose agents are putting them out there, or the club have let out there.

We've had years of the Evans way, and are still feeling the effects. What annoys me more is the constant swing from backing one manager (whether that was Cook or not) to deciding his replacement must fail and vice versa in a handful of cases.

Given how the transfer window went, I'd be surprised and disappointed if there was a leak. But I'm also a bit baffled by the righteousness towards Harris. It's a bit Roylesque and those people never held their hands up in the main.

Odd to say the least.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

The absolute apathy around every single manager linked on 22:06 - Dec 14 with 2321 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Should is the operative word.

If Town fans have not yet learned that football is played on current ability organisation and form rather than past reputation, then we are very slow learners.

I would rather have Danny Dewdrop who none of us have ever heard of if he is successful than Alec Ferguson/Neil Warnock/Arsne Wenger were they to come in and fail.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

The absolute apathy around every single manager linked on 22:51 - Dec 14 with 2191 viewsBlueBadger

There are three clubs in the top 6 who made signings well into double figures. Wigan who could go top if they win their game in hand have just emerged from financial chaos, made 17.

He was failing, get over it.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

The absolute apathy around every single manager linked on 23:01 - Dec 14 with 2145 viewsNthsuffolkblue

The absolute apathy around every single manager linked on 22:51 - Dec 14 by BlueBadger

There are three clubs in the top 6 who made signings well into double figures. Wigan who could go top if they win their game in hand have just emerged from financial chaos, made 17.

He was failing, get over it.

He took last season's squad massively backwards before deciding he had to get rid of them all (and then changing his mind on a few too). He failed twice really. And yet some say he wasn't given long enough. I wonder how long the same wanted to give Hurst.

The absolute apathy around every single manager linked on 23:23 - Dec 14 with 2090 viewsBlueBadger

The absolute apathy around every single manager linked on 23:01 - Dec 14 by Nthsuffolkblue

He took last season's squad massively backwards before deciding he had to get rid of them all (and then changing his mind on a few too). He failed twice really. And yet some say he wasn't given long enough. I wonder how long the same wanted to give Hurst.

Lest we forget, an awful lot of the people who are crying about Cook's departure thought that Lambert 'just got us', improved our performances(whilst taking us from 'could stay up' to 'comfortably relegated by March')and made a massive banner for him.

They probably played a large part in convincing Marcus Evans that he deserved a five year contract.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

The absolute apathy around every single manager linked on 23:37 - Dec 14 with 2076 viewsChurchman

The absolute apathy around every single manager linked on 23:01 - Dec 14 by Nthsuffolkblue

Last years mob were a shower not a squad. 40+ ‘players’ couldn’t manage more than 45 mins in a game or two training sessions out of it. They laughed in our faces and figuratively spat on the badge. No amount of re write can wipe away 6 six defeats in 8 at home, including a lesson by Swindon, in the meat of the season followed by surrenders at Gillingham, Northampton and Wimbledon. I don’t care if Godzilla had pitched up to manage them, their well paid ….‘efforts’ were pathetic.

That Cook couldn’t form a team after the summer and managed to make just about every poor decision he could muster is in no way an excuse for last season’s mob who surrendered to anyone who looked at them. They were shameful.

While I don’t agree with how he went about changing things, Cook actually failed once for me. This season. And regardless of whether or not I’d have given him a little longer to get it right (in light of the laughable dross out there there was nothing to lose) he cannot complain about being booted out. It’s a different issue.

Hurst was obviously so far out of his depth he needed a periscope. He needed removing at the end of August. It’s not the same situation as Cook.
[Post edited 14 Dec 2021 23:39]
The absolute apathy around every single manager linked on 10:06 - Dec 15 with 1685 viewsGarv

The absolute apathy around every single manager linked on 20:33 - Dec 14 by Cheltenham_Blue

The fan base has got so used to turning now it becomes second nature, so you're probably right, sadly.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

The absolute apathy around every single manager linked on 10:14 - Dec 15 with 1658 viewsNthsuffolkblue

The absolute apathy around every single manager linked on 23:37 - Dec 14 by Churchman

Last years mob were a shower not a squad. 40+ ‘players’ couldn’t manage more than 45 mins in a game or two training sessions out of it. They laughed in our faces and figuratively spat on the badge. No amount of re write can wipe away 6 six defeats in 8 at home, including a lesson by Swindon, in the meat of the season followed by surrenders at Gillingham, Northampton and Wimbledon. I don’t care if Godzilla had pitched up to manage them, their well paid ….‘efforts’ were pathetic.

That Cook couldn’t form a team after the summer and managed to make just about every poor decision he could muster is in no way an excuse for last season’s mob who surrendered to anyone who looked at them. They were shameful.

While I don’t agree with how he went about changing things, Cook actually failed once for me. This season. And regardless of whether or not I’d have given him a little longer to get it right (in light of the laughable dross out there there was nothing to lose) he cannot complain about being booted out. It’s a different issue.

Hurst was obviously so far out of his depth he needed a periscope. He needed removing at the end of August. It’s not the same situation as Cook.
[Post edited 14 Dec 2021 23:39]

That is Cook's take on it. But the same squad did perform for Lambert and Gill.

Cook showed he could not manage that squad. But he then also showed he could not manage the current squad either. 1 consistent 90 minutes in every 6 and a half matches is terrible and it wasn't getting any better - we had 1 good full 90 minutes out of his last 11 (eleven) matches.

The absolute apathy around every single manager linked on 10:35 - Dec 15 with 1558 viewsmarkchips

The absolute apathy around every single manager linked on 10:14 - Dec 15 by Nthsuffolkblue

Cook showed he could not manage that squad. But he then also showed he could not manage the current squad either. 1 consistent 90 minutes in every 6 and a half matches is terrible and it wasn't getting any better - we had 1 good full 90 minutes out of his last 11 (eleven) matches.

A lot of good comments on here and unfortunately the truth does hurt. We had reached rock bottom having been bled dry by Evans.

Starting from scratch was always going to be difficult and Cook just didn't get going. The yanks are in a hurry as usual so the players better buck their ideas up quickly.

It seems to me Rotherham and Wycombe and Wigan to an extent would not be streets ahead of us other than they are much more physical and this is needed to get out of this division. At present we have too many lightweights like Penney, Harper and Evans. so the new manger needs to bring in some tough Division Three or top Division Four players who know this division. Then the likes of Fraser and Pigott may perform better if they are allowed to last that long.
The absolute apathy around every single manager linked on 11:03 - Dec 15 with 1487 viewsChurchman

The absolute apathy around every single manager linked on 10:14 - Dec 15 by Nthsuffolkblue

It’s not just Cook’s take on it. That squad didn’t perform at all. They started two seasons well before the rest got up to cohesion and speed. How many 90 minute games did we play? One? Two? Even the third of Gill’s now legendary wins was against 10 men who ran our blowing heroes around the whole of the second half.

Where was the performance against Swindon? Or the other 5 teams that beat us with ease at home at that time? Where were they against Crewe who played us off the pitch at home despite us scraping a win? Who in two years did we beat convincingly, apart from Blackpool away, who were still saying hello to each other? How many teams in the top ten did we beat in two seasons? Two? Three? Whoopee.

With regard to Gill, he got credit for the three wins and Cook took 100% blame for the Gillingham runaround. I take it then you blame McGreal entirely for failing to win at Charlton and Wigan. You can’t have it both ways.

This is not excusing Cook. As I said, he only has himself to blame for getting the boot, but I cannot accept that the squad(s) that got us relegated at a canter and wallowed down L1 for two seasons ‘performed’.

Ultimately though, it was Evans wrecked this club and accountability for a dismal last 14 years sits with him.
The absolute apathy around every single manager linked on 11:33 - Dec 15 with 1388 viewsjayessess

The absolute apathy around every single manager linked on 11:03 - Dec 15 by Churchman

It’s not just Cook’s take on it. That squad didn’t perform at all. They started two seasons well before the rest got up to cohesion and speed. How many 90 minute games did we play? One? Two? Even the third of Gill’s now legendary wins was against 10 men who ran our blowing heroes around the whole of the second half.

Where was the performance against Swindon? Or the other 5 teams that beat us with ease at home at that time? Where were they against Crewe who played us off the pitch at home despite us scraping a win? Who in two years did we beat convincingly, apart from Blackpool away, who were still saying hello to each other? How many teams in the top ten did we beat in two seasons? Two? Three? Whoopee.

With regard to Gill, he got credit for the three wins and Cook took 100% blame for the Gillingham runaround. I take it then you blame McGreal entirely for failing to win at Charlton and Wigan. You can’t have it both ways.

This is not excusing Cook. As I said, he only has himself to blame for getting the boot, but I cannot accept that the squad(s) that got us relegated at a canter and wallowed down L1 for two seasons ‘performed’.

Ultimately though, it was Evans wrecked this club and accountability for a dismal last 14 years sits with him.

I think the point with Ipswich 2020-21 was that they were a perfectly ordinary group of footballers, rather than the unprofessional sulkers, competition winners and pub players they were implicitly painted as by Cook and his admirers.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

The absolute apathy around every single manager linked on 12:02 - Dec 15 with 1321 viewschrismakin

Nice job for the new manager, win 3 games on the bounce and he's a hero

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

The absolute apathy around every single manager linked on 12:13 - Dec 15 with 1298 viewsLeoMuff

When he took over we were 8th, we finished 9th - hardly massively backwards.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

The absolute apathy around every single manager linked on 12:13 - Dec 15 with 1290 viewsChurchman

The absolute apathy around every single manager linked on 11:33 - Dec 15 by jayessess

I think the point with Ipswich 2020-21 was that they were a perfectly ordinary group of footballers, rather than the unprofessional sulkers, competition winners and pub players they were implicitly painted as by Cook and his admirers.

We shall agree to differ. In my opinion, they were the most shameful bunch to ever represent this club and they’re up against some pretty stiff competition from Evans’ time.
The absolute apathy around every single manager linked on 12:17 - Dec 15 with 1276 viewsLeoMuff

The absolute apathy around every single manager linked on 11:33 - Dec 15 by jayessess

Not sulking ? Chambo was frothing on twitter when Cook was sacked, says to me the definition of unprofessional

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

The absolute apathy around every single manager linked on 12:18 - Dec 15 with 1265 viewsBeckets

The absolute apathy around every single manager linked on 12:13 - Dec 15 by Churchman

We shall agree to differ. In my opinion, they were the most shameful bunch to ever represent this club and they’re up against some pretty stiff competition from Evans’ time.

More shameful than the Bullard, Chopra, Taylor etc contingent?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024