Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Boozing at work 11:20 - May 25 with 4396 viewsCotty

Just interested to know how many would not blink an eye about drinking at work on a regular basis, ie in meetings rather than at social events. Personally I’d probably be disciplined if found to have drunk booze on the job.
Boozing at work on 11:26 - May 25 with 2736 viewsdavblue

i can't recall ever drinking a beer in an office environment.
Boozing at work on 11:28 - May 25 with 2729 viewsDanTheMan

I worked at a place that had "Beer O'Clock" on a Friday after 4pm, but that was the only time that alcohol was allowed to be consumed on premises, and you were not allowed to bring your own.

Also everyone stopped working at that time so it was more of a social thing not a drink whilst you work thing.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Boozing at work on 11:37 - May 25 with 2693 viewsmylittletown

Boozing at work on 11:28 - May 25 by DanTheMan

I worked at a place that had "Beer O'Clock" on a Friday after 4pm, but that was the only time that alcohol was allowed to be consumed on premises, and you were not allowed to bring your own.

Also everyone stopped working at that time so it was more of a social thing not a drink whilst you work thing.

Yes, a beer at 5pm on Fridays was very fashionable in US companies in the '90s.

Mind you we all used to have two pints at lunchtime most days in the 70s and early '80s!
Boozing at work on 11:38 - May 25 with 2690 viewsiamipswich

Living and working in London these days, it feels like it is very common for companies to have drinks in the office. I would say it is very sector dependent however. Insurance for example it is ubiquitous and not uncommon in Finance and Sales driven environments such as Recruitment etc. Whereas I have never had a drink in the office.

However as previously mentioned, work tends to stop once the beers are flowing.
[Post edited 25 May 2022 11:42]

Poll: Who will return first?

Boozing at work on 11:39 - May 25 with 2677 viewsmutters

Never in my time. The only time booze has been allowed in the office is at company events when they supply the alcohol.

When I first started work people used to regularly go out and sink 3 or 4 pints at lunchtime and then go back to the office. I did it once, my afternoon was absolutely ruined, never again!

Poll: At what price would you sell our 32 year old Leading Scorer Murphy this summer?

Boozing at work on 11:44 - May 25 with 2619 viewsusm

It is unusual these days, but in the past was relatively 'normal.
Nowadays booze in the office - at our place - is very much only seen on special occasions - Christmas, someone leaving - and then only after work has finished for the day.

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

Boozing at work on 11:46 - May 25 with 2614 viewscatch74

I run a pub, no one, including myself drink whilst working and very rarely after.
We had a pub full of beer that we had to pour away during any time we were locked down. We did take away food, staff came in, worked, distanced, wore masks, went home, didn’t drink.
The more time goes on, it becomes easy to forget how strictly we followed the restrictions - at a pub - but we did, for the good of the elderly, infirm and even a number of healthy people that we didn’t want to fall seriously ill/ die, if we could possibly help it.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Boozing at work on 12:05 - May 25 with 2527 viewsSwansea_Blue

We were talking about this at work the other day. Those of us who were working in the 90s all pretty much had regular boozy sessions. Either schmoozing clients or lunchtime drinks on a Friday. I used to do a fair bit of work with embassy staff in different spots around the world in the late 90s/early 00s, and they were always on the piss, either formally at receptions hosting signatories or just at lunchtime/after work.

It wasn't that unusual for Friday lunchtime drinks to stretch through the afternoon back in those days. But I can't remember the last time I had a drink in work time - probably at party conferences in early 10s, but other than that must be 15+ years ago.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

Boozing at work on 12:07 - May 25 with 2511 viewsPrideOfTheEast

In the office, never aside from occasional events held in the office. In a meeting - no way. At a lunch, yes but very dependent on who it’s with and what else I have on.
Boozing at work on 12:19 - May 25 with 2446 viewsgalacticoblue

When worked in Spain (not so long ago), during long meetings it was normal to have sandwiches, tapas and refreshments brought in, which included beer and wine if you would like.
People managed to control themselves.
Boozing at work on 12:24 - May 25 with 2429 viewsPinewoodblue

Back in the 80’s I worked for a motoring organisation that had a licensed bar in the staff restaurant.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Boozing at work on 12:31 - May 25 with 2395 viewsSTYG

I can't see how any employer could possibly defend it now.

In this 'day and age' where rightly behaviours are called out, is there any chance that people, after a few drinks would be less sexist, racist, ageist, homophobic or handsy?

Absolutely not. Given the duty of care to employees, placing them in a position where there is a clear risk of more things going wrong as such, is madness.
Boozing at work on 12:42 - May 25 with 2337 viewsblueasfook

In the 80s/90s a lot of companies had a drinking culture. Long gone now. Same as smoking in the office. Obviously in Whitehall, its still OK.

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Boozing at work on 12:51 - May 25 with 2288 viewsclive_baker

When I first started working in London in 2010 we would go for a pint most Friday lunch times, but it wasn't consumed in the office. More recently than that beers in the office on a Friday afternoon was always quite normal, certainly post 3pm sort of time. We had a very well stocked booze cupboard and the fridge would always get topped up from it on a Friday morning in preparation.

Having said that, I've not worked in an office on a Friday for over 2 years now. During the first lockdown (and I'm blaming the glorious weather) I did often crack open a beer at my desk in the afternoons. Had to knock it on the head when I realised it wasn't helping me stay in shape.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Boozing at work on 12:54 - May 25 with 2265 viewslongtimefan

Not common in my UK office but usual practice late Fridays in the Norwegian Head Office. Along with any other possible excuse at other times - leaving events, promotions etc. First place I worked in the UK did have a bar onsite, though it was removed in the 80s.
[Post edited 25 May 2022 13:19]
Boozing at work on 13:09 - May 25 with 2199 viewsPlums

Boozing at work on 12:24 - May 25 by Pinewoodblue

Back in the 80’s I worked for a motoring organisation that had a licensed bar in the staff restaurant.

I've been in a few police HQ's that had bars on the premises. I suspect they don't any more. Personally, I don't think I've ever drunk at work, regardless of whether I was on a building site or in an office.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Boozing at work on 13:09 - May 25 with 2197 viewsBloomBlue

I worked in Paris in the 90s and if the staff restaurant didn't have wine available at lunchtime they struggled to employ anyone. It was seen as normal to have a couple (or more) glasses of wine with your lunch. Not sure if that is still the same now
Boozing at work on 13:11 - May 25 with 2183 viewslowhouseblue

in some sectors, and in senior roles, the distinction is not that clear cut. it is quite common to try and make something that is in truth primarily work, feel more social and hospitable. discussing work over a glass of wine, either at lunch time or after the normal working day in the evening, is not uncommon. not all work takes place around a meeting table and creating a different setting for it isn't that unusual. no one would be drunk.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Boozing at work on 13:31 - May 25 with 2091 viewsSteve_M

Not on a regular basis, but on occasions in the office: either as a mark of success or to alleviate something more tediously corporate but usually at the end of a day. Actually, when I first worked in London, London Electricity used to have a bar in the office.

Whilst WFH, I would occasionally open a beer whilst finishing work off, but only late afternoon. Still do on a Friday for that matter. But then again, my job means I can get asked to do stuff well after normal working hours have finished so it's always a bit flexible.

The sort of culture that seems to have existed in Downing Street was more obvious in the late 90s and early 2000s.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Boozing at work on 13:34 - May 25 with 1999 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Before the pandemic, nope I wouldn't blink an an eye about drinking at work on a regular basis. But this is advertising. It's unusual for an ad agency not to have a free bar, although usually people hold off until Friday afternoon. Certainly had boozy lunches/meetings though.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Boozing at work on 13:39 - May 25 with 1951 viewsGlasgowBlue

Are you asking for Kier Starmer? 😉

In my previous job it wasn’t unusual to have drinks at a meeting if they were going in late.

edit. Back in the 80's when I worked for my old man at the Estate Agents it was quite normal to go to the pub at lunch time, stand with the solicitors,Rumbelows manager, carpet shop manager, accountants etc and have an hour on the booze before returning to work.
[Post edited 25 May 2022 13:44]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Boozing at work on 13:50 - May 25 with 1873 viewsitfc24

Boozing at work on 12:31 - May 25 by STYG

I can't see how any employer could possibly defend it now.

In this 'day and age' where rightly behaviours are called out, is there any chance that people, after a few drinks would be less sexist, racist, ageist, homophobic or handsy?

Absolutely not. Given the duty of care to employees, placing them in a position where there is a clear risk of more things going wrong as such, is madness.

Christ you sound a barrel of laughs.

I have rarely met someone who doesnt turn into all those things mentioned the second the beer hits the lips.

We should go out for a drink sometime, but im warning you there is a real risk of me being handsy.
When I workied in The City.... on 14:23 - May 25 with 1785 viewsBloots

....and was still smoking, if we wanted a smoke we'd go to the bar downstairs and have a pint at the same time.

In fact from 95 to 05 I was rarely sober in the afternoons.

But that was The City and I was a capitalist pig.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Boozing at work on 14:31 - May 25 with 1757 viewsChondzoresk

I work from home. I never touch a drop til 7…….7am that is.
Boozing at work on 14:39 - May 25 with 1733 viewsronnyd

When you're working on turning and milling machines, as i was, the last thing you want is to put booze into the mix.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024