Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Does anyone think that it is possible that Brexit just won't happen? 15:45 - Jun 9 with 8181 viewsLord_Lucan

How on earth is it going to happen in the timescale provided?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Does anyone think that it is possible that Brexit just won't happen? on 15:47 - Jun 9 with 4861 viewsclive_baker

Is it that much less likely than it was a week ago to be fair? I think it'll happen, it'll just be much 'softer'.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Does anyone think that it is possible that Brexit just won't happen? on 15:50 - Jun 9 with 4847 viewsSomethingBlue

A lot of last night's result was a vote against it, that's for sure. Don't think they can turn it back but isn't it strange how a vote is little more than a snapshot of a moment in time. Were it held again in these conditions there's no way it would win.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Does anyone think that it is possible that Brexit just won't happen? on 15:54 - Jun 9 with 4829 viewsHerbivore

I hope it doesn't.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Does anyone think that it is possible that Brexit just won't happen? on 15:55 - Jun 9 with 4829 viewsconnorscontract

If May is PM throughout then Juncker and co will hold her to the timetable that she initiated.

And that is fair enough. Brexit has caused considerable upheaval for the other European nations, as well as the EU as an entity.

If May goes before the negotiations are complete then there is the possibility that they will put a freeze on the negotiations, to allow a new PM time to prepare, as they said they would if Corbyn was PM after this General Election.

The most likely outcome is that if May is still PM we will have "No Deal". It simply isn't possible in the timescale.

Like Trident at a time when the greatest threat comes from asymmetric warfare, and Brexit post-austerity is a ridiculous luxury that takes away money, time and energy from tackling much more important issues. Only at least Trident just sits there. Brexit is causing instability and will, even at the best possible outcome, require a period of adjustment that will have an impact on our economy.

So the correct analogy is that it is like spending £50 Billion on Trident whilst cutting Police numbers during a home-grown terrorism upsurge, and then discovering rising readings of radioactive fall-out around Faslane Trident base, but you don't actually know why that's happening, how long it will go on for, how much it will cost to clean up, or whether the whole lot is going to go "Bang!"
Does anyone think that it is possible that Brexit just won't happen? on 15:59 - Jun 9 with 4818 viewsvapour_trail

Does anyone think that it is possible that Brexit just won't happen? on 15:50 - Jun 9 by SomethingBlue

A lot of last night's result was a vote against it, that's for sure. Don't think they can turn it back but isn't it strange how a vote is little more than a snapshot of a moment in time. Were it held again in these conditions there's no way it would win.

Not sure i agree with that.

If they'd been able to keep focus on brexit they would have frightened more people into voting for them

The manifestos cost them. Social care and health became big ticket items which is not tory territory. May's lack of engagement is another factor i think.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Does anyone think that it is possible that Brexit just won't happen? on 16:05 - Jun 9 with 4793 viewsElderGrizzly

CIL doesn't!
Does anyone think that it is possible that Brexit just won't happen? on 16:05 - Jun 9 with 4790 viewsLord_Lucan

Does anyone think that it is possible that Brexit just won't happen? on 16:05 - Jun 9 by ElderGrizzly

CIL doesn't!

That's torn it

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Does anyone think that it is possible that Brexit just won't happen? on 16:07 - Jun 9 with 4778 viewsconnorscontract

Does anyone think that it is possible that Brexit just won't happen? on 15:47 - Jun 9 by clive_baker

Is it that much less likely than it was a week ago to be fair? I think it'll happen, it'll just be much 'softer'.

Yes. May went for an Election to get a bigger majority to make it easier.

Now the man who dresses like Jimmy Savile, Philip Hollobone, and his other mates who did deals with UKIP before the Election, have May in an extremely vulnerable position, and won't tolerate "Soft Brexit", whilst May has to conclude the deal in a stupidly short time-scale because she just wasted two months of a two year process on a General Election that she didn't need to call.

Juncker as Dad: "Now we're going on a long journey. Does anyone need a wee before we go?"
Little Theresa: "No. We must go right now. And we must get there in two hours precisely!"
Juncker: "Ok. Let's go."
Little Theresa: "I need a wee! I need a wee!"
Login to get fewer ads

Does anyone think that it is possible that Brexit just won't happen? on 16:08 - Jun 9 with 4772 viewsmanchego

Does anyone think that it is possible that Brexit just won't happen? on 15:47 - Jun 9 by clive_baker

EU leaders will be having a huge laugh at this.
I think it might go ahead but we'll end up with whatever deal the EU want to give us.
Does anyone think that it is possible that Brexit just won't happen? on 16:09 - Jun 9 with 4765 viewsDarth_Koont

Also, we've effectively only got 10-11 months to negotiate in - taking into account the UK and European summer recesses.

Either way a draft deal needs to be in front of each of the 27 countries' and our own national governments and parliaments by early Autumn 2018. That deal will then be ratified accordingly with little time to go back and rehash anything but the smallest details before we're out in March 2019.

The big question for me is whether the Tories will make a deal in our long-term interests that might cost in the short term (money or political loss of face). Or a deal that now needs to maximize their chance of re-election but pushes greater sacrifices down the road? They're on a very short leash so perhaps they'll have to take responsibility for once.

Pronouns: He/Him

Does anyone think that it is possible that Brexit just won't happen? on 16:09 - Jun 9 with 4758 viewsfactual_blue

Article Fifty is reversible: the UK peer who drafted it says that's perfectly possible as the invocation of the Article is a process, not a punishment (ie we're not being chucked out).

I think, personally, we should ask to call a halt and, when they've agreed to that, just forget to get back to them, salvaging what little dignity we have left as a country.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Does anyone think that it is possible that Brexit just won't happen? on 16:10 - Jun 9 with 4753 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

It can't just "not happen" it doesn't work like that.
Does anyone think that it is possible that Brexit just won't happen? on 16:10 - Jun 9 with 4743 viewsGlasgowBlue

Does anyone think that it is possible that Brexit just won't happen? on 15:59 - Jun 9 by vapour_trail

If they'd been able to keep focus on brexit they would have frightened more people into voting for them

The manifestos cost them. Social care and health became big ticket items which is not tory territory. May's lack of engagement is another factor i think.

My Mrs reckons the terror attacks cost her.

All her friends were talking about the police cuts and she heard it on the radio every day.

We had a discussion last week about how it would effect the election and as I said to you then, the day of the Manchester attacks she performed the Uturn on social care.

As soon as the attacks happened she was never able to take control of the agenda again.

The final week was supposed to be all out campaigning on Brexit and then London happened.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Does anyone think that it is possible that Brexit just won't happen? on 16:15 - Jun 9 with 4716 viewsclive_baker

Does anyone think that it is possible that Brexit just won't happen? on 16:08 - Jun 9 by manchego

EU leaders will be having a huge laugh at this.
I think it might go ahead but we'll end up with whatever deal the EU want to give us.

Which was the case a week ago. Let's no kid ourselves we've got any say in these negotiations, or ever did.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Does anyone think that it is possible that Brexit just won't happen? on 16:16 - Jun 9 with 4715 viewsWeWereZombies

The EU's foreign policy chief, Federica Mogherini, said it was uncertain when Britain would have a clear Brexit strategy.

"One year after their referendum, we still don't know the British position in the negotiations on Brexit and it seems difficult when we will," she observed "because democracy often requires time"

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Does anyone think that it is possible that Brexit just won't happen? on 16:17 - Jun 9 with 4705 viewsDarth_Koont

Does anyone think that it is possible that Brexit just won't happen? on 16:09 - Jun 9 by factual_blue

Article Fifty is reversible: the UK peer who drafted it says that's perfectly possible as the invocation of the Article is a process, not a punishment (ie we're not being chucked out).

I think, personally, we should ask to call a halt and, when they've agreed to that, just forget to get back to them, salvaging what little dignity we have left as a country.

Maybe the 27 member states can see the start of negotiations as an intervention?

That's what real friends do when someone has made some very poor life choices.

Does anyone think that it is possible that Brexit just won't happen? on 16:18 - Jun 9 with 4701 viewsRimmersBrace

Does anyone think that it is possible that Brexit just won't happen? on 16:09 - Jun 9 by factual_blue

We don't even need them to agree to it. We can unilaterally halt the process. They can't throw us out.
Does anyone think that it is possible that Brexit just won't happen? on 16:20 - Jun 9 with 4698 viewsLord_Lucan

Does anyone think that it is possible that Brexit just won't happen? on 16:10 - Jun 9 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

It can, there is always wriggle room. As it stands we have a very short period of time to do a massively complicated deal in which all 27 other nations have to agree. You cannot do the impossible. If it became clear that any deal is going to be so counter productive to the nation it is feasible that there would need to be a second referendum to ask the country if they are prepared to go ahead with Brexit with the offer that is on the table.

Does anyone think that it is possible that Brexit just won't happen? on 16:20 - Jun 9 with 4689 viewsWeWereZombies

Does anyone think that it is possible that Brexit just won't happen? on 16:10 - Jun 9 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Err, everyone is making it up as they go along, there is no way it is supposed to work!

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Does anyone think that it is possible that Brexit just won't happen? on 16:23 - Jun 9 with 4680 viewsconnorscontract

Does anyone think that it is possible that Brexit just won't happen? on 16:10 - Jun 9 by GlasgowBlue

All her friends were talking about the police cuts and she heard it on the radio every day.

We had a discussion last week about how it would effect the election and as I said to you then, the day of the Manchester attacks she performed the Uturn on social care.

As soon as the attacks happened she was never able to take control of the agenda again.

The final week was supposed to be all out campaigning on Brexit and then London happened.

A number of things cost her.

Skipping through the corn-fields was gobsmacking. I thought it was an over-dub when I first saw it.
Her lack of empathy and approachability.
Not having a costed manifesto.
Over-reliance on traditional media and failure to understand and engage younger voters.
Bottling the Leaders Debate.
Calling the Election at all: three years running of politics, two out of three not strictly necessary and inflicted on the public by Tories.

All of the above created an impression of her being out of touch and taking the public for granted.

Then you add in wider issues like Dementia Tax, and the U Turn which damaged her credibility, housing and a perception that austerity has gone beyond what was necessary.

And then the terror attacks. Corbyn didn't point score over Manchester. As you say May was a bit on the ropes at that point over policy. When the London attack happened, Corbyn carefully, and I think tastefully, made the point that May was the Home Secretary who cut Police. This dart landed.

Particular constituency results also point to the fact that Corbyn has energised the youth vote, especially Canterbury. He had worse than Kinnock's light-bulb thrown at him, but stood up to it all well. And he has won Social Media: the opinion formers like him.

The remarkable story of the Election is Davidson. Any possibility of the SNP losing Holyrood in the near future, and her mettle as a minister with responsibility rather than just a leader of the opposition, being tested?
Does anyone think that it is possible that Brexit just won't happen? on 16:29 - Jun 9 with 4656 viewsLord_Lucan

Does anyone think that it is possible that Brexit just won't happen? on 16:10 - Jun 9 by GlasgowBlue

Personally I think the average Joe would have more shifted towards her after the attacks rather than her terrorist sympathiser opposition.

Does anyone think that it is possible that Brexit just won't happen? on 16:31 - Jun 9 with 4645 viewsGlasgowBlue

Does anyone think that it is possible that Brexit just won't happen? on 16:29 - Jun 9 by Lord_Lucan

Personally I think the average Joe would have more shifted towards her after the attacks rather than her terrorist sympathiser opposition.

You would have thought so but the polls got worse and I think the narrative of police cuts hit home.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Does anyone think that it is possible that Brexit just won't happen? on 16:38 - Jun 9 with 4623 viewsLuk38644

Does anyone think that it is possible that Brexit just won't happen? on 15:59 - Jun 9 by vapour_trail

Agreed.

Plus, if last night was a 'rejection of Brexit', there would be fewer voting Tory/Labour and alot more people voting Lib Dem/Green.
Does anyone think that it is possible that Brexit just won't happen? on 16:43 - Jun 9 with 4598 viewsDarth_Koont

Does anyone think that it is possible that Brexit just won't happen? on 16:38 - Jun 9 by Luk38644

Agreed.

Plus, if last night was a 'rejection of Brexit', there would be fewer voting Tory/Labour and alot more people voting Lib Dem/Green.

Even when LibDem and Green had zero chance in the majority of seats? Where there was a chance it did seem that Remainers voted LibDem en masse.

Does anyone think that it is possible that Brexit just won't happen? on 16:45 - Jun 9 with 4591 viewsLuk38644

Does anyone think that it is possible that Brexit just won't happen? on 16:43 - Jun 9 by Darth_Koont

Even when LibDem and Green had zero chance in the majority of seats? Where there was a chance it did seem that Remainers voted LibDem en masse.

Yes, if Remainers wanted to stay in the EU, they would have voted Lib Dem or Green regardless of low chance areas.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024