Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Im in a little disbelief 23:43 - Feb 21 with 4449 viewsGarv

That people believe we played well tonight.

Incredible. We never troubled the keeper, maybe Sears was the exception to that first half but even that was blocked before the keeper could save it.

I can't understand what was going through Mick 's head. Every change was late. Bru on 85 minutes, utterly pointless. Waghorn not until 75, far too late. Make the changes on 55-60 minutes and inject some positivity. We never looked like scoring.

Genuinely thought we'd make up for our last home showing tonight, but it was more of very similar.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Im in a little disbelief on 23:45 - Feb 21 with 3742 viewstextbackup

things have got so bad that I don't think he really knows what he's doing anymore. skuse and hyam as a CB pairing with 5 behind them. I mean is he just taking the piss?

people commenting we made nice nice passes, good movement, professional football, coached by professionals, this should be basic basic football. we look terrible

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Im in a little disbelief on 23:47 - Feb 21 with 3718 viewsSomethingBlue

Im in a little disbelief on 23:45 - Feb 21 by textbackup

things have got so bad that I don't think he really knows what he's doing anymore. skuse and hyam as a CB pairing with 5 behind them. I mean is he just taking the piss?

people commenting we made nice nice passes, good movement, professional football, coached by professionals, this should be basic basic football. we look terrible

We ... errr ... didn't have a lot of options available tonight did we? It wasn't a classic, was it, but if people can't see we set out with good intentions then they're just not looking properly. For what it matters, anyway, because the next three months will be painful as hell.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Im in a little disbelief on 23:48 - Feb 21 with 3710 viewspointofblue

For me we were much better than against Burton; I freely admit this may be the case of diminished expectations.

I felt our midfield had the best balance in a while, where we were looking to pass and move up the field rather than consistently retreating to hoofball. Defensively we blocked and challenged everything, only being breached when the referee decided we were playing basketball, for some reason. Our real issue was upfront where Celina struggled and Sears was anonymous which meant the decent build up play often came to naught. But at least we tried to play football and worked from a base rather than hacking it at every given opportunity.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Im in a little disbelief on 23:50 - Feb 21 with 3689 viewstextbackup

Im in a little disbelief on 23:47 - Feb 21 by SomethingBlue

We ... errr ... didn't have a lot of options available tonight did we? It wasn't a classic, was it, but if people can't see we set out with good intentions then they're just not looking properly. For what it matters, anyway, because the next three months will be painful as hell.

so no different to the last couple of seasons then, only difference now is even those that blindly backed MM are now noticing just what a mess it all is

Im in a little disbelief on 23:51 - Feb 21 with 3679 viewsGarv

Im in a little disbelief on 23:48 - Feb 21 by pointofblue

For me we were much better than against Burton; I freely admit this may be the case of diminished expectations.

I felt our midfield had the best balance in a while, where we were looking to pass and move up the field rather than consistently retreating to hoofball. Defensively we blocked and challenged everything, only being breached when the referee decided we were playing basketball, for some reason. Our real issue was upfront where Celina struggled and Sears was anonymous which meant the decent build up play often came to naught. But at least we tried to play football and worked from a base rather than hacking it at every given opportunity.

I don't want to just contradict but I didn't see any build up play. Celina second half made two runs forward in the space of 2 minutes, and he looked threatening. It made me realise that before that point, we simply hadn't given him the ball. We had no midfield in my opinion.

Im in a little disbelief on 23:52 - Feb 21 with 3658 viewsSomethingBlue

Im in a little disbelief on 23:50 - Feb 21 by textbackup

so no different to the last couple of seasons then, only difference now is even those that blindly backed MM are now noticing just what a mess it all is

Just not sure he's been blindly backed by many at all.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Im in a little disbelief on 23:59 - Feb 21 with 3622 viewstextbackup

Im in a little disbelief on 23:52 - Feb 21 by SomethingBlue

Just not sure he's been blindly backed by many at all.

well they have, but nevermind

Im in a little disbelief on 01:50 - Feb 22 with 3491 viewsRyorry

R5l said we played quite well, and there wasn't much between the two sides.

*don't shoot the messenger please, thanks.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Login to get fewer ads

Im in a little disbelief on 04:38 - Feb 22 with 3425 viewsSugito

I think that's a bit harsh (but only a bit): the formation gave us a chance to play better football than the 4-2-3-1 formation where there's a huge gap between our defensive players and attackers, but the problems still remain the same: we don't have the nerve (or skill?) to play the ball out of the defence but resort to hoofing it forward if we get any pressure from the opponents. Also Sears doesn't work as a lone forward role, he really doesn't have any hold-up play. And as a theme spanning the whole season, we don't really get any penetrative passes to the oppostion's penalty area (just check our heatmaps at whoscored.com, there's always a U-shape around the opposition box)...
Im in a little disbelief on 05:32 - Feb 22 with 3390 viewssotd78

We played well.

No players fit hence why Waghorn on 75....since he’d played the whole game Sunday. Bru because well who else?

McCarthy has been very unlucky with injuries. Ultimately however it needs investment. Three new players and MM with a decent new contract and we’ll be there or thereabouts next season.

Blue shirts/white shorts - sotd78

Im in a little disbelief on 05:39 - Feb 22 with 3374 viewspowinswitch

Im in a little disbelief on 05:32 - Feb 22 by sotd78

We played well.

No players fit hence why Waghorn on 75....since he’d played the whole game Sunday. Bru because well who else?

McCarthy has been very unlucky with injuries. Ultimately however it needs investment. Three new players and MM with a decent new contract and we’ll be there or thereabouts next season.

MM does not warrant or deserve a new contract. He has been unlucky with injuries this year, but his football philosophy coupled with an antogonistic PR style should mean he is toast. Sooner rather than later please so that a new manager has time to evaluate the squad before next season. To include assessments of Dozzell and those 9n loan.
Im in a little disbelief on 06:11 - Feb 22 with 3340 viewsBenters2

Im in a little disbelief on 23:50 - Feb 21 by textbackup

It is a mess total fk up we are now heading for another very poor finish.
Im in a little disbelief on 08:27 - Feb 22 with 3155 viewsGarv

Im in a little disbelief on 05:32 - Feb 22 by sotd78

We played well.

We've had three or more new players every summer for years and Mick has had improved contracts. Where are we?

Im in a little disbelief on 08:33 - Feb 22 with 3136 viewsITFC_Forever

Was about to say the same.

Doing some of the basics right shouldn't constitute a good display.

We worked hard and were industrious, but I wouldn't call it a "good" display.

We still have next to no goal threat - so when the opposition score, there's very little chance of a comeback.

2 wins in 11 games and 2 goals in 7 home games are pretty damning stats.

P 1124, W 500, D 288, L 336, F 1707, A 1359
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Im in a little disbelief on 08:39 - Feb 22 with 3100 viewsBrixtonBlue

If you measure it against the previous home game then yes, we did play well.

I agree with you on the substitutions. Once again too late, and the first one was just a like-for-like defensive midfielder (albeit a better one). That's not going to turn around a game you're losing.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Im in a little disbelief on 08:46 - Feb 22 with 3067 viewsHerbivore

Im in a little disbelief on 23:51 - Feb 21 by Garv

I don't want to just contradict but I didn't see any build up play. Celina second half made two runs forward in the space of 2 minutes, and he looked threatening. It made me realise that before that point, we simply hadn't given him the ball. We had no midfield in my opinion.

People have a massive blind spot for Celina. He was given the ball plenty in the first half and consistently gave it away, sometimes in quite dangerous areas. He was poor (again).

I thought first half was fairly decent, they created nothing and we had a couple of decent attempts, one from Ward that was well saved and Sears' effort looked to be going in if not for the block from the defender. Second half wasn't great, we struggled to keep the ball when we'd generally retained possession well in the first half. We still limited them though.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Im in a little disbelief on 08:49 - Feb 22 with 3057 viewsportmanking

Im in a little disbelief on 08:33 - Feb 22 by ITFC_Forever

Was about to say the same.

Doing some of the basics right shouldn't constitute a good display.

We worked hard and were industrious, but I wouldn't call it a "good" display.

We still have next to no goal threat - so when the opposition score, there's very little chance of a comeback.

2 wins in 11 games and 2 goals in 7 home games are pretty damning stats.

Quite.

I think, more than anything, it was a case of Cardiff having a particularly bad day at the office and making us look a little brighter than usual.

In truth, we were powder puff again and aimless - rather like the club's ambition right now.
Im in a little disbelief on 08:57 - Feb 22 with 3010 viewsBrixtonBlue

Im in a little disbelief on 08:46 - Feb 22 by Herbivore

People have a massive blind spot for Celina. He was given the ball plenty in the first half and consistently gave it away, sometimes in quite dangerous areas. He was poor (again).

I thought first half was fairly decent, they created nothing and we had a couple of decent attempts, one from Ward that was well saved and Sears' effort looked to be going in if not for the block from the defender. Second half wasn't great, we struggled to keep the ball when we'd generally retained possession well in the first half. We still limited them though.

Funny how people see things differently but I certainly didn't think Celina was "poor". Worked hard all night and was constantly probing, just had very little quality around him. Sometimes he tries things that don't come off, which is fine IMO. We have plenty of 'safety first' players.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Im in a little disbelief on 09:00 - Feb 22 with 2990 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Im in a little disbelief on 08:27 - Feb 22 by Garv

We've had three or more new players every summer for years and Mick has had improved contracts. Where are we?

We’ve also lost players in that time, and the squad has got older

Has Mick been given improved contracts?

We’re mid table - which isn’t as good as we want, although realistically what we want may be beyond our budget. We’ll get more of an idea of that when the new man comes in in the Sunmer, I guess

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Im in a little disbelief on 09:01 - Feb 22 with 2985 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Im in a little disbelief on 23:51 - Feb 21 by Garv

That’s probably because they’re all injured

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Im in a little disbelief on 09:10 - Feb 22 with 2951 viewsKieran_Knows

I saw Stuart Watson describe us as 'slick', what game was he watching?

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Im in a little disbelief on 09:13 - Feb 22 with 2941 viewsblueislander

Im in a little disbelief on 09:10 - Feb 22 by Kieran_Knows

I saw Stuart Watson describe us as 'slick', what game was he watching?

He was referring to Hyam's hair gel.
Im in a little disbelief on 09:40 - Feb 22 with 2859 viewsHerbivore

Im in a little disbelief on 08:57 - Feb 22 by BrixtonBlue

Funny how people see things differently but I certainly didn't think Celina was "poor". Worked hard all night and was constantly probing, just had very little quality around him. Sometimes he tries things that don't come off, which is fine IMO. We have plenty of 'safety first' players.

All I can really remember him doing is giving the ball away constantly. I don't think he offered much and I think it's lazy and indicative of the blind spot I mentioned to blame the quality of his teammates for his ineffectiveness.

Im in a little disbelief on 09:52 - Feb 22 with 2826 viewsBrixtonBlue

Im in a little disbelief on 09:40 - Feb 22 by Herbivore

All I can really remember him doing is giving the ball away constantly. I don't think he offered much and I think it's lazy and indicative of the blind spot I mentioned to blame the quality of his teammates for his ineffectiveness.

Someone having a different opinion to you doesn't mean they are being lazy OR have a blind spot.

If all you can remember is him giving the ball away then you weren't watching properly or have a poor memory.

Maybe you have a blind spot from the opposite angle?!

EDIT: (from Phil's report);

"Adam Webster nodding a right-wing Celina cross wide from beyond the far post."

"Celina whipped it over and Webster headed over at the near post when he will feel he might have done better."

"in the 75th minute Celina broke forward before finding Ward on the right. The ex-Spurs man cut in but shot across the face of goal."

"Two minutes later, Celina took the ball past two Cardiff defenders"

[Post edited 22 Feb 2018 10:22]

Im in a little disbelief on 14:49 - Feb 22 with 2667 viewsHerbivore

Im in a little disbelief on 09:52 - Feb 22 by BrixtonBlue

Someone having a different opinion to you doesn't mean they are being lazy OR have a blind spot.

If all you can remember is him giving the ball away then you weren't watching properly or have a poor memory.

Maybe you have a blind spot from the opposite angle?!

EDIT: (from Phil's report);

"Adam Webster nodding a right-wing Celina cross wide from beyond the far post."

"Celina whipped it over and Webster headed over at the near post when he will feel he might have done better."

"in the 75th minute Celina broke forward before finding Ward on the right. The ex-Spurs man cut in but shot across the face of goal."

"Two minutes later, Celina took the ball past two Cardiff defenders"

[Post edited 22 Feb 2018 10:22]

He took two corners and made two runs. Not much of a contribution. I like Celina but he, like some of his colleagues, has been poor for most of the last 2-3 months but he seems immune to criticism for some reason.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024