Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Luke Chambers 09:17 - Jun 27 with 4213 viewsRudyard83

Never really understand the idea that he's not good enough, and just the general dislike of him. He's a good centre-back (very good at times last year) and has the passion we all cry out for from teams and people within the club. However I do get that he's not the ball-playing centre-back of Webster, but he is good at his job. IMO he is on his way to being a club legend, with the passion and tradition of his fist-bump.
I understand that this might be a bit too bold of a claim for the people who dislike him.
[Post edited 27 Jun 2018 9:29]
Luke Chambers on 09:22 - Jun 27 with 4168 viewsSWGF

Who “dislikes or “hates” him?

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Luke Chambers on 09:22 - Jun 27 with 4179 viewsartsbossbeard

The hatred was borne out of him being shoehorned in at left back to accommodate others. I don't think I've seen a lot of hatred since his move to his correct centre back position.

In fact, I think he was one of the standouts from the back end of last season.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Luke Chambers on 09:22 - Jun 27 with 4169 viewsbraveblue

Does anyone hate him? Bit strong.

Don’t think he is the future. Loves a hoof. Think he will struggle if we get another ball player back there.

A million miles from a legend. They don’t swear and shout at their own fans.
Luke Chambers on 09:25 - Jun 27 with 4147 viewsRudyard83

Luke Chambers on 09:22 - Jun 27 by SWGF

Who “dislikes or “hates” him?

Maybe "hate" is too strong of a word. As seen on the recent article, and other threads, there always seems to be someone saying that we need to get rid/stop playing him. I agree with the post below yours that he was a standout last year
Luke Chambers on 09:28 - Jun 27 with 4132 viewsRudyard83

Luke Chambers on 09:22 - Jun 27 by braveblue

Don’t think he is the future. Loves a hoof. Think he will struggle if we get another ball player back there.

I agree that might have been too strong of a word. I also agree that he isn't the future, mainly down to his age. As said in the post, he isn't ball-playing, but he is very solid at the back, and 2 Websters would be very dangerous for us as he isn't great at defending tbh.
I disagree that he's nowhere near being a legend, he is very passionate, has been here a long time, and has been almost ever-present in those years. The only thing he needs IMO is to achieve something i.e. promotion
Luke Chambers on 09:29 - Jun 27 with 4134 viewsNo9

Misused by MM made him a bit unpopular with some.
He was in the best back line up MM had as CB and should not have been used as a utility RB.
Good leader badly missed since his latest injury
Luke Chambers on 09:32 - Jun 27 with 4116 viewsRudyard83

Luke Chambers on 09:29 - Jun 27 by No9

Misused by MM made him a bit unpopular with some.
He was in the best back line up MM had as CB and should not have been used as a utility RB.
Good leader badly missed since his latest injury

Agree completely. I have to be honest and say that I really didn't like him at RB, for obvious reasons, however I can't see how some people haven't moved on.
Luke Chambers on 09:34 - Jun 27 with 4105 viewsPendejo

Luke Chambers on 09:22 - Jun 27 by artsbossbeard

The hatred was borne out of him being shoehorned in at left back to accommodate others. I don't think I've seen a lot of hatred since his move to his correct centre back position.

Edit required there... don't recall his being played at left back

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Login to get fewer ads

Luke Chambers on 10:45 - Jun 27 with 3974 viewsFrimleyBlue

Luke Chambers on 09:32 - Jun 27 by Rudyard83

Agree completely. I have to be honest and say that I really didn't like him at RB, for obvious reasons, however I can't see how some people haven't moved on.

Moved on from what?

Just because he's gone from RB back to CB, it didn't mean he suddenly became a better player with the ball at his feet. He's a solid CB if you want one who you just want to get the ball and wack it. BUT footballs moved on a lot from this era and defenders are required more often to be able to bring the ball out from the back and be calm with having the ball come at them. I always find with Chambers, he wants to get rid of it as quickly as he can and this leads to long hopeful balls into nowhere.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Luke Chambers on 10:50 - Jun 27 with 3944 viewsOsborneOneNil

Luke Chambers on 10:45 - Jun 27 by FrimleyBlue

Moved on from what?

Just because he's gone from RB back to CB, it didn't mean he suddenly became a better player with the ball at his feet. He's a solid CB if you want one who you just want to get the ball and wack it. BUT footballs moved on a lot from this era and defenders are required more often to be able to bring the ball out from the back and be calm with having the ball come at them. I always find with Chambers, he wants to get rid of it as quickly as he can and this leads to long hopeful balls into nowhere.

That's it. Good, solid defender.....a leader of sorts, die for you etc......but, he's not good with the ball at his feet. Panics, then hoofs.
Luke Chambers on 11:10 - Jun 27 with 3871 viewsGarv

Moved on from what?

I think you're right to an extent but also that one should take into account the type of team he's playing in and the tactics used. Do we have midfielders who come calling to the CB for the ball? Do we create space in midfield with the intention of passing through it? Until PH changes it, I'd say no we don't.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Luke Chambers on 11:13 - Jun 27 with 3856 viewsWestover

I think we would all agree he was not a great right back but those who played in that position after he moved to centre back were not any better IMO.
Luke Chambers on 11:24 - Jun 27 with 3818 viewsNo9

Moved on from what?

The point being that he diligently did what MM told him to
Luke Chambers on 11:28 - Jun 27 with 3803 viewsFrimleyBlue

Luke Chambers on 11:24 - Jun 27 by No9

The point being that he diligently did what MM told him to

Not at all, chambers has never been a ball playing defender

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Luke Chambers on 11:40 - Jun 27 with 3767 viewsBlueBadger

Luke Chambers on 11:13 - Jun 27 by Westover

I think we would all agree he was not a great right back but those who played in that position after he moved to centre back were not any better IMO.

It's a position that's been problematic for us since Keane. Chambers is OK as a 'fill-in' for injury cover and suchlike, but not full time. That said though, he did get a fair few assists from there a few season ago.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

on 12:02 - Jun 27 with 3704 views_

Moved on from what?

Luke Chambers on 12:27 - Jun 27 with 3667 viewsitfcjoe

Chambers is the best captain this club has had in a long time - probably since Matty Holland (with a nod to Jason De Vos in there

I hated seeing him play at right back as not my type of player there, but always gave his all and never really let us down there. He seems a great guy, and a very important player in weeding the bad characters out of the squad and keeping everyone in line.

At centre back his distribution is fine, he's no Franco Baresi but is decent enough with the ball when he tries to be - but was clearly under instruction to get it forward quickly. Tommy Smith was the same and is a better footballer than he has looked.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Luke Chambers on 13:03 - Jun 27 with 3568 viewsSlambo

Luke Chambers on 09:22 - Jun 27 by braveblue

Sorry, can you just remind me of the time he swore and shouted at his own fans..?

UPPA TOWEN!
Blog: Consumer Rights

Luke Chambers on 13:05 - Jun 27 with 3554 viewsSwansea_Blue

Do you think it's purely coincidental that this thread has been adjacent to this one for most of the morning?

Your top 5 players of all time? by christiand 27 Jun 2018 8:51
All this talk about Maradona got me thinking. Without doubt moral compass questionable, but footballing ability one of the best. Who are 'your' top 5 all time greats?

Apologies Truce, I posted this and then saw your thread!!!

1. Pele
2. Maradona
3. Best
4. Cruyff
5. Zico

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Luke Chambers on 13:12 - Jun 27 with 3515 viewsSlambo

Luke Chambers on 11:10 - Jun 27 by Garv

I think you're right to an extent but also that one should take into account the type of team he's playing in and the tactics used. Do we have midfielders who come calling to the CB for the ball? Do we create space in midfield with the intention of passing through it? Until PH changes it, I'd say no we don't.

A very good point. I would argue that any team is only as good as its midfield. Our centre backs have had no choice but to just blooter it up the pitch at every opportunity as we just haven't had the midfielders with the confidence to receive the ball facing their own goal; indeed, they were probably specifically told NOT to by McCarthy. There was a salient point from and interview with Tommy Smith when he first went to Colorado, saying how he was looking forward to show off some of his passing skills...

UPPA TOWEN!
Blog: Consumer Rights

Luke Chambers on 13:45 - Jun 27 with 3436 viewswrightsrightglove

I can see him working closely with Hurst and Doig and being our next assistant manager in a few years when Doig gets the right opportunity to make the step up elsewhere. Decent defender at this level and coupled with his passion and leadership, makes him a really good player for us. Fingers crossed we've got a decent young centre back who is learning from him and looking to slowly take over from him over the course of the next season or two.
Luke Chambers on 13:54 - Jun 27 with 3408 viewsNo9

Luke Chambers on 13:12 - Jun 27 by Slambo

A very good point. I would argue that any team is only as good as its midfield. Our centre backs have had no choice but to just blooter it up the pitch at every opportunity as we just haven't had the midfielders with the confidence to receive the ball facing their own goal; indeed, they were probably specifically told NOT to by McCarthy. There was a salient point from and interview with Tommy Smith when he first went to Colorado, saying how he was looking forward to show off some of his passing skills...

I agree, any team is only as good as its midfield players & Town have been lacking in this department for a very long time.
It did seem MM had little or no time for a footballing midfield & saw it just as an extension of defence which was always a restriction on attackign football.
Hopefully new Team Management will have a differnt perspective on how the game should be played
Luke Chambers on 14:23 - Jun 27 with 3377 viewsdirtyboy

I don't think he panics then hoofs at all.

I think it's drilled into the CBs to not have the ball in your area at any time (MM rules of football...if it's not in your half they're not likely to score)

Very good at blocks, very good in the air and has looked solid. Even our 'ball playing' CB Webster became a foot through it type player at times.

I think he's a good player at this level, it's just how MM coached the defence, it wasn't like it was only him thumping it forward.
Luke Chambers on 14:30 - Jun 27 with 3361 viewsITFC_Forever

Luke Chambers on 09:22 - Jun 27 by artsbossbeard

(Right back).

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024