Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A message for Mr Be Careful What You Wish For 17:50 - Nov 24 with 6484 viewsStEdmundBlue

The current plight has predictably brought the “be careful what you wish for” brigade to the fore on a regular basis.

But despite our perilous position, I still firmly believe it was the right decision to end McCarthy’s tenure at the club.

To outsiders, it seems insane but the majority of those who visited Portman Road regularly under his management, particularly towards the end, will have a very different opinion.

To be clear, I was not a McCarthy hater. I think he did a good job of keeping us competitive while working with very little in the way of resources.

However, if I’m being honest, I can’t say I ever really enjoyed watching Town play in his reign.

Even at its best - the 2014/15 play-off season - I still watched some pretty ordinary football. At its worst, to coin an old Tommy Docherty phrase, if they were playing in my front garden I would have closed the curtains.

I’m not sure I’ll look back at his time in charge with the fondness I do with Lyall, Burley, Royle and to a point - Magilton in my time of watching the Blues.

The “be careful what you wish for” (BCWYWF) claim that Mick was hounded out by “a small minority of fans and the local media” is utter nonsense.

Truth is, in his final days, we were lucky if we got 10,000 supporters inside Portman Road. So I would say it was rather a larger number of fans who were unhappy with the man in charge than his disciples care to admit.

A small minority may have been the only ones voicing their disapproval but the empty seats in the stadium spoke their own words.

I also think the “local media” the BCWYWFs’ constantly point the finger at, which is presumably the EADT/Star, its columnists and Radio Suffolk, would be flattered to think they wielded such power.

This has all been said before of course, and in much greater depth in newspaper columns, websites and this very forum.

Which is why my rallying cry to the BCWYWF gang is a criticism often labelled at Ipswich supporters - stop living in the past and move on.

Would we be in this position under McCarthy? Maybe not but where would we be? 15th and playing in front of 12,000 fans if we were lucky.

The “should never have got rid of Mick” line is almost as tedious as some of the games we endured during his spell in charge.

He’s gone and - in case you hadn’t noticed - no-one’s given him a job since.

I’ve met BCWYWFs’ who seem to revel in every defeat so they can hit the message boards with their “told you so” attitudes. Relegation might send one or two into overdrive.

Would it be too much of an ask to focus our energy on getting behind Paul Lambert and his team when they really need us?

No-one wants to go down, least of all Marcus Evans, which why I think Lambert will be backed in the January transfer market and we might stand a chance of staying in the division.

But it will take everyone to pull together if that is to be achieved.

Fans can make a difference, and yes that includes you Mr BCWYWF.
[Post edited 24 Nov 2018 17:57]
A message for Mr Be Careful What You Wish For on 17:56 - Nov 24 with 5180 viewspeterleeblue

Its simple really Evans backed Keane and the numpty Jewell and barely backed McMCarthy.
It is Evans that has to be careful what he wished for.

The Fish Rots from the Head!
A message for Mr Be Careful What You Wish For on 17:57 - Nov 24 with 5169 viewsFtnfwest

We had to break the cycle. With mick we would have gradually sunk to the position we’re in now. Not entirely down to him but ME of course as well. We’ve gambled on turning it round more quickly and it certainly didn’t work with hurst. May still do with lambert, but whatever we’ve forced the change now and have to live with it. I suppose the alternative was a dull fest with mick, 15th in front of 11,000 at home
A message for Mr Be Careful What You Wish For on 18:08 - Nov 24 with 5106 viewsartsbossbeard

I'm yet to meet anyone who didn't think it was time for Mick to go.

I've met plenty who were appalled by his treatment at the end if that helps.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

A message for Mr Be Careful What You Wish For on 18:12 - Nov 24 with 5082 viewsSuperfrans

That’s the longest post about Mick that I’ve read on here in a very long while.

Ironic that it’s from someone calling for other fans to stop bringing up Mick and move on.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

A message for Mr Be Careful What You Wish For on 18:14 - Nov 24 with 5057 viewsSwn98

A message for Mr Be Careful What You Wish For on 18:08 - Nov 24 by artsbossbeard

it would appear that MM is going to be appointed the republic of Ireland manager not bad for an old dinosaur that knows nothing about football ugwuwf.
A message for Mr Be Careful What You Wish For on 18:25 - Nov 24 with 5020 viewsbrogansnose

However, if I’m being honest, I can’t say I ever really enjoyed watching Town play in his reign.

Really, you never enjoyed him pulling out of the nose dive that Jewell put us into and avoiding relegation ? The season we got into the playoffs ?

WTF do you want or expect from Towen ? Little tip, don't expect too much because you'll be dissapointed.
A message for Mr Be Careful What You Wish For on 18:31 - Nov 24 with 4991 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

We finished in the top half in 4 of the 5 seasons Mick started the season as manger here. Why would we suddenly be 15th?

Seems to me there’s far more people still trying to protest against the whole be careful what you wish for thing, than actually saying it. Anyone would think they were trying to convince themselves

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

A message for Mr Be Careful What You Wish For on 18:38 - Nov 24 with 4963 viewsMullet

There really hasn't been any of that. The people bringing him up were the ones who abused him and have been made to look very silly now.

If you still can't see what an excellent job he did here then football isn't for you. The evidence is beyond conclusive now. The fans calling him all sorts, chanting for him to go etc. made it impossible for him to stay. Rewriting history doesn't diminish how good he was here or how wrong they were no matter how many times.

Oddly, it's those most ardent "outers" that soon went in denial about Hurst, before turning predictably to pretending they always wanted someone else/hated him in many cases.

It was them that mostly insisted relegation wouldn't be that bad, or inevitable because of Mick (!) Everyone else has been desperately trying to pull together and will the players on as they should be. Hence the reaction to Lambert. the difference a proper manager makes is huge.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Login to get fewer ads

A message for Mr Be Careful What You Wish For on 18:45 - Nov 24 with 4923 viewsCurrie10

A message for Mr Be Careful What You Wish For on 18:25 - Nov 24 by brogansnose

Really, you never enjoyed him pulling out of the nose dive that Jewell put us into and avoiding relegation ? The season we got into the playoffs ?

WTF do you want or expect from Towen ? Little tip, don't expect too much because you'll be dissapointed.

Post of the day. People expect far too much.
A message for Mr Be Careful What You Wish For on 18:49 - Nov 24 with 4916 viewsTJS

I wanted Mick to go and I think this was the case for about 60% of the regular attendees at PR despite MM’s delusion that it was only about 200 fans.
In terms of our league position it was always going to be a gamble and at the moment it’s looking like a gamble we are going to lose in the short term.
A message for Mr Be Careful What You Wish For on 18:53 - Nov 24 with 4890 viewsMullet

A message for Mr Be Careful What You Wish For on 18:25 - Nov 24 by brogansnose

Anyone pretending otherwise is a liar or wasn't there were they?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

A message for Mr Be Careful What You Wish For on 18:55 - Nov 24 with 4873 viewsagentp

I was never a fan of Mccarthy, but for me we needed to keep him while the club was openly for sale. A mid-table Championship club had a degree of potential about it.

Poll: If only these two were available who would you choose for the rest of the season

A message for Mr Be Careful What You Wish For on 18:56 - Nov 24 with 4866 viewsbrogansnose

A message for Mr Be Careful What You Wish For on 18:53 - Nov 24 by Mullet

Anyone pretending otherwise is a liar or wasn't there were they?

Yep, you just had to be there.

Its how it was.
A message for Mr Be Careful What You Wish For (n/t) on 20:23 - Nov 24 with 4690 viewsWestover

We should have given Mick a new contract and maybe just maybe we would still have our good players and be in the top half of the league then the Irish FA would have given us compensation and we could give Paul Lambert the managers job.
Well we can dream can't we 😁

[Post edited 24 Nov 2018 20:35]
A message for Mr Be Careful What You Wish For on 20:27 - Nov 24 with 4660 viewsBlueBadger

Show us on the doll where the nasty Yorkshireman touched you.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

A message for Mr Be Careful What You Wish For on 23:02 - Nov 26 with 4383 viewsBcarefulwhatUWish4

Personally feel there is no point anymore of going over old ground. I was a firm supporter of MM and was concerned at what would happen if MM left. Obviously, I could have been wrong but on this occasion my prediction was accurate. At that time, many shouted me down saying we would be "a top six side without MIck" etc etc. I was more wary and thought we may be relegated without MM as he did a really good job.

All of that is in the past now. We have been through a rockier patch than a rocky pile of rocks but the right man is now at the helm. He's got a lot to do. We haven't won a competitive home fixture since 10th April 2018 (1-0 Barnsley) and have only won 1 game of football since the 4-0 thrashing of Reading on April 28th. Those are appalling statistics and we look like relegation certainties. Regardless of what happens, PL is now the right man for the job; even if we end up in L1.
A message for Mr Be Careful What You Wish For on 07:30 - Nov 27 with 4237 viewsCoastalblue

A message for Mr Be Careful What You Wish For on 23:02 - Nov 26 by BcarefulwhatUWish4

Personally feel there is no point anymore of going over old ground. I was a firm supporter of MM and was concerned at what would happen if MM left. Obviously, I could have been wrong but on this occasion my prediction was accurate. At that time, many shouted me down saying we would be "a top six side without MIck" etc etc. I was more wary and thought we may be relegated without MM as he did a really good job.

All of that is in the past now. We have been through a rockier patch than a rocky pile of rocks but the right man is now at the helm. He's got a lot to do. We haven't won a competitive home fixture since 10th April 2018 (1-0 Barnsley) and have only won 1 game of football since the 4-0 thrashing of Reading on April 28th. Those are appalling statistics and we look like relegation certainties. Regardless of what happens, PL is now the right man for the job; even if we end up in L1.

Did anybody seriously suggest we'd be top six if Mick left?

I think the majority, at least on here were nervous of what change would mean but just felt it was the right time for a change of direction.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

A message for Mr Be Careful What You Wish For on 08:29 - Nov 27 with 4148 viewsSuperfrans

As someone who actually had a lot of respect for McCarthy and the job he did for us, the "be careful what you wish for brigade" seems far in the minority compared to the "desperately trying to justify what we asked for" battalion.

We are where we are. And, apart from a few non-entities outside the club like Barry Glendenning, I've seen and heard very little from the "be careful what you wish fors".

And, to be honest, given the battle we have ahead of us, I'd suggest we bury any differences we might have and focus on uniting behind our current manager.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

A message for Mr Be Careful What You Wish For on 08:51 - Nov 27 with 4112 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

A message for Mr Be Careful What You Wish For on 18:08 - Nov 24 by artsbossbeard

Here endeth the lesson!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

A message for Mr Be Careful What You Wish For on 08:52 - Nov 27 with 4107 viewsrickw

The differences are:
On Friday night 22,000 watched us mildly entertain in a 2-1 defeat whilst at bottom of the league.
If Mick was in charge probably 11,000 would have been bored whilst we scrapped out a 0-0 draw from a safe league position.

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

A message for Mr Be Careful What You Wish For on 08:55 - Nov 27 with 4093 viewsartsbossbeard

A message for Mr Be Careful What You Wish For on 08:52 - Nov 27 by rickw

The differences are:
On Friday night 22,000 watched us mildly entertain in a 2-1 defeat whilst at bottom of the league.
If Mick was in charge probably 11,000 would have been bored whilst we scrapped out a 0-0 draw from a safe league position.

I'd have taken a hard fought 0-0 bore draw on Friday.

Ah, a safe league position. TWTD.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

A message for Mr Be Careful What You Wish For on 09:06 - Nov 27 with 4081 viewsmonty_radio

"Many shouted me down saying we would be a top six side without MIck.

On reflection, is "many" the right estimation of the number who challenged you with this precise claim?

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

A message for Mr Be Careful What You Wish For on 09:27 - Nov 27 with 4054 viewsNo9

A message for Mr Be Careful What You Wish For on 18:14 - Nov 24 by Swn98

it would appear that MM is going to be appointed the republic of Ireland manager not bad for an old dinosaur that knows nothing about football ugwuwf.

'Caretaker' manager?
A message for Mr Be Careful What You Wish For on 09:40 - Nov 27 with 4026 viewsNo9

A message for Mr Be Careful What You Wish For on 18:38 - Nov 24 by Mullet

There really hasn't been any of that. The people bringing him up were the ones who abused him and have been made to look very silly now.

If you still can't see what an excellent job he did here then football isn't for you. The evidence is beyond conclusive now. The fans calling him all sorts, chanting for him to go etc. made it impossible for him to stay. Rewriting history doesn't diminish how good he was here or how wrong they were no matter how many times.

Oddly, it's those most ardent "outers" that soon went in denial about Hurst, before turning predictably to pretending they always wanted someone else/hated him in many cases.

It was them that mostly insisted relegation wouldn't be that bad, or inevitable because of Mick (!) Everyone else has been desperately trying to pull together and will the players on as they should be. Hence the reaction to Lambert. the difference a proper manager makes is huge.

If you are correct, football isn't for most of us. In reality MM's record at Town isn't very good= marginaly better the PJ who is classed as being a disaster and Town's home record under MM can only be described as substandard - If you believe the league doesn't lie that show's his teams only ever achieved more than an average of 2 points p.g. oncemostly it was circa 1.6 points - no one should consider that good.
A message for Mr Be Careful What You Wish For on 11:28 - Nov 27 with 3960 viewsJ4ck22

A message for Mr Be Careful What You Wish For on 09:40 - Nov 27 by No9

If you are correct, football isn't for most of us. In reality MM's record at Town isn't very good= marginaly better the PJ who is classed as being a disaster and Town's home record under MM can only be described as substandard - If you believe the league doesn't lie that show's his teams only ever achieved more than an average of 2 points p.g. oncemostly it was circa 1.6 points - no one should consider that good.

In what universe is Mick regarded as only marginally better than Jewell?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024