Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rotator cuff/shoulder injury 22:11 - Jan 8 with 7383 viewsDubtractor

Anyone from the TWTD injury clinic ever had a rotator cuff injury before? I knackered the tendon in my shoulder about 5 months ago, and despite physio it utterly refuses to get better, every time it feels like it is improving I do something to aggravate it and back to square one.

Without doubt the most frustrating injury I've ever had.

Can anyone with experience of it reassure me that it will sort itself out eventually?

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Rotator cuff/shoulder injury on 22:22 - Jan 8 with 5349 viewsally86

Hello - my friend had the same injury. She had physio too and said it actually made it worse. It started to improve once she stopped. It is now back to full working order but it took ages.
Rotator cuff/shoulder injury on 22:39 - Jan 8 with 5319 viewsnorth_stand77

Yes, I did my right arm about 6 months ago.

I didn't have any physio and it gradually repaired over time. Every so often it would 'go' but the gaps in between episodes lengthened. Very occasionally I will feel a twinge if I've over stretched or carried something particularly heavy but it's nothing like it was.
Rotator cuff/shoulder injury on 23:26 - Jan 8 with 5267 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Me.

Mainly at night. Hurt like hell and physio just made it worse. Sorted itself out eventually, but had it for 2 years plus.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Rotator cuff/shoulder injury on 23:44 - Jan 8 with 5246 viewsParisBlue

Fractured my shoulder on the way to the away game at Cardiff 2 seasons ago. That healed but ended up with a frozen shoulder. It has improved but still struggle to lift my arm and very little strength in it. Very annoying.

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Rotator cuff/shoulder injury on 00:26 - Jan 9 with 5222 viewsTIB

Rest is best...and time. Shoulders are complicated things. I damaged mine about 12 years ago and it still can hurt everyone now and then.

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

Rotator cuff/shoulder injury on 00:34 - Jan 9 with 5216 viewsgainsboroughblue

Yep. About six years ago. If it's any comfort or reassurance, it took me a good nine months or so before it fully recovered. Worst injury I've ever had.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Rotator cuff/shoulder injury on 00:43 - Jan 9 with 5214 viewsBinner

I developed pains and limited movement in both when I was about sixty.

Saw doctor after about six months and she recommended regular simple basic exercises. Also had an injection in one; I asked if it was cortisone and she told me it was a stronger but can't remember what she called it.

Healing took several months but I've now had no problem for four years.

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

Rotator cuff/shoulder injury on 02:17 - Jan 9 with 5184 viewsLord_Lucan

I had a nasty one, it’s a bastard.

You need a cortisone jab but they won’t do it until you have 6 months physio. I’ve got quite a high medicinal tolerance level, I generally need double dose of everything, the second jab worked immediately - instant relief. Can’t remember lead time between both jabs.

If you can get it done privately for under £500 then go for it.
[Post edited 9 Jan 2019 5:27]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Login to get fewer ads

Rotator cuff/shoulder injury on 07:11 - Jan 9 with 5080 viewsPendejo

"Woke up" to discover problems in both shoulders January 2018, at it's worst I couldn't even wipe my own "Brown sheriff's star" without pain.
Putting on any sort of top an issue (sweater, shirt or coat etc) had injection which improved movement.

But what has defeated it is a new mattress. Bought a new seriously expensive mattress and now have full movement in both.

Still can't sleep in foetal position like I used to, however, I have gotten used to alternative sleeping positions.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Rotator cuff/shoulder injury on 07:20 - Jan 9 with 5065 viewsblue62

Shoulders are a bug r. Hurt mine falling off my bike a while ago. Told by the physio it’s the muscle that goes over the shoulder. Lots of treatment and still no better. So s*d it, will just give it time and save £30 every month.
Rotator cuff/shoulder injury on 07:43 - Jan 9 with 5042 viewsSaleAway

Mrs SaleAway had this - lots of physio didn't really sort it - was only after cortisone injection and further physio - but it did take about 9 months all told.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Rotator cuff/shoulder injury on 08:01 - Jan 9 with 5031 viewsGavTWTD

I’ve had problems with both shoulders at different times and each time I was given an injection without physio. Both injections worked, though one was better than the other. I was supposed to do set exercises after but I didnt, but I did swim daily. I can feel it getting worse so need to get back in the pool.

The difference in GP sounds unfair. I did ask about the injection and my GP was the only one qualified in the practice to be able to perform it.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Rotator cuff/shoulder injury on 08:20 - Jan 9 with 5004 viewsHerbivore

I popped my shoulder out and tore the rotator cuff in 2000. It still plays me up sometimes unfortunately, a lot better than it used to be but still have discomfort some days.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Rotator cuff/shoulder injury on 08:21 - Jan 9 with 5003 viewsLord_Lucan

Rotator cuff/shoulder injury on 08:01 - Jan 9 by GavTWTD

I’ve had problems with both shoulders at different times and each time I was given an injection without physio. Both injections worked, though one was better than the other. I was supposed to do set exercises after but I didnt, but I did swim daily. I can feel it getting worse so need to get back in the pool.

The difference in GP sounds unfair. I did ask about the injection and my GP was the only one qualified in the practice to be able to perform it.

I didn't know it varied from GP to GP.

I was told I had to go to a course of physio before they would give me a jab, I was in a lot of pain and sleeping was a nightmare enquired about getting a jab privately but they wanted £300 just for the consultation so I thought sod it. Looking back I wish I had gone for it

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Rotator cuff/shoulder injury on 08:25 - Jan 9 with 4988 viewsSaleAway

Rotator cuff/shoulder injury on 08:21 - Jan 9 by Lord_Lucan

I didn't know it varied from GP to GP.

I was told I had to go to a course of physio before they would give me a jab, I was in a lot of pain and sleeping was a nightmare enquired about getting a jab privately but they wanted £300 just for the consultation so I thought sod it. Looking back I wish I had gone for it

My wife's physio wrote her a letter for the GP saying that he recommended a cortisone injection.... she'd had a fair bit of physio by then, but it may be a way to speed up the process, if you have a friendly physio. :-)

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Rotator cuff/shoulder injury on 08:43 - Jan 9 with 4974 viewsRobTheMonk

3 shoulder operations here! I dislocated mine when I was 21 and then had a nightmare with it for the next 8 years. When you say you're doing physio, is this self-medicated so-to-speak or are you seeing/seen a medical professional? Do you know what caused it to begin with?

My first two operations were both keyhole. The first one my ligaments had become streched so my shoulder kept coming out so thet tried to fix that. Second one the labrum tore. Third one was open surgery where I had torn a third of the labrum off and had glenoid loss (repeat dislocations started to wear away bone making it easier to pop out). They took bone from what's called the coracoid and screwed it to the glenoid and then I think they move a ligament so everything acts as a 'triple defence' to stop the shoulder coming out. In between all this was probably close to 20 dislocations and subluxations (a sub is where the shoulder partially dislocates).

The last operation was two years ago and apart from the odd twinge where it feels like my collar bone is pushing in a way that it shouldn't, it's been okay.
[Post edited 9 Jan 2019 8:46]
Rotator cuff/shoulder injury on 08:45 - Jan 9 with 4966 viewsLord_Lucan

Rotator cuff/shoulder injury on 08:43 - Jan 9 by RobTheMonk

3 shoulder operations here! I dislocated mine when I was 21 and then had a nightmare with it for the next 8 years. When you say you're doing physio, is this self-medicated so-to-speak or are you seeing/seen a medical professional? Do you know what caused it to begin with?

My first two operations were both keyhole. The first one my ligaments had become streched so my shoulder kept coming out so thet tried to fix that. Second one the labrum tore. Third one was open surgery where I had torn a third of the labrum off and had glenoid loss (repeat dislocations started to wear away bone making it easier to pop out). They took bone from what's called the coracoid and screwed it to the glenoid and then I think they move a ligament so everything acts as a 'triple defence' to stop the shoulder coming out. In between all this was probably close to 20 dislocations and subluxations (a sub is where the shoulder partially dislocates).

The last operation was two years ago and apart from the odd twinge where it feels like my collar bone is pushing in a way that it shouldn't, it's been okay.
[Post edited 9 Jan 2019 8:46]

That sounds absolutely awful.

Rotator cuff/shoulder injury on 08:51 - Jan 9 with 4958 viewsflimflam

I had what is known as a separated shoulder injury so the same thing I believe and done
it when going over the top of someone to win a header and hitting the ground with one arm outstretched.

Bloody painful and took ages to get better and even now I can sense the bone / cartilage grinding when I move 10 years later.
[Post edited 9 Jan 2019 8:53]

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Rotator cuff/shoulder injury on 09:09 - Jan 9 with 4934 viewsblueislander

Rotator cuff/shoulder injury on 08:45 - Jan 9 by Lord_Lucan

That sounds absolutely awful.

I have had joint replacement surgery on both shoulders. Both very successful.
Rotator cuff/shoulder injury on 10:24 - Jan 9 with 4881 viewsArnieM

Rotator cuff/shoulder injury on 02:17 - Jan 9 by Lord_Lucan

I had a nasty one, it’s a bastard.

You need a cortisone jab but they won’t do it until you have 6 months physio. I’ve got quite a high medicinal tolerance level, I generally need double dose of everything, the second jab worked immediately - instant relief. Can’t remember lead time between both jabs.

If you can get it done privately for under £500 then go for it.
[Post edited 9 Jan 2019 5:27]

It’s ridiculous that private practitioners ( usually doctors) offer these injections for such excessively inflated prices.

The cost of most corticosteroids , ie depo- medrone, Adcortyl, Kenalog, Hydrocortistsb, costs on average just 69p -£1per bottle! These steroids take up to 2 weeks to build up pain killing effects hence the often use of an anaesthetic too.

The immediate acting injection you had was probably the anesthetic, Lidocaine. Again ridiculously cheap for GP practices to buy and these pain relieving interventions are much more cost effective than prescription NSAIDS/ Analgesics .

I’m a qualified MSK injection therapist but unfortunately I can only offer this service with an NHS environment under strict Pharmacological protocols which have to be signed off by a GP and a Pharmacist. But I would often administer this to patients and then refer in to my physio colleagues for ongoing rehab 2 weeks later. Patients can’t rehab if they are in pain!

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Rotator cuff/shoulder injury on 10:32 - Jan 9 with 4874 viewsLord_Lucan

Rotator cuff/shoulder injury on 10:24 - Jan 9 by ArnieM

It’s ridiculous that private practitioners ( usually doctors) offer these injections for such excessively inflated prices.

The cost of most corticosteroids , ie depo- medrone, Adcortyl, Kenalog, Hydrocortistsb, costs on average just 69p -£1per bottle! These steroids take up to 2 weeks to build up pain killing effects hence the often use of an anaesthetic too.

The immediate acting injection you had was probably the anesthetic, Lidocaine. Again ridiculously cheap for GP practices to buy and these pain relieving interventions are much more cost effective than prescription NSAIDS/ Analgesics .

I’m a qualified MSK injection therapist but unfortunately I can only offer this service with an NHS environment under strict Pharmacological protocols which have to be signed off by a GP and a Pharmacist. But I would often administer this to patients and then refer in to my physio colleagues for ongoing rehab 2 weeks later. Patients can’t rehab if they are in pain!

That's very interesting. I knew in my mind that the physio wouldn't work as it was a bad rip and the pain was mental. This was the most frustrating thing, basically they just made me wait in pain for ages.

I don't fully know how much a private jab would have cost but they said £300 for a consultation alone - and of course it's a formality that they would grant it.

Also interesting about the anesthetic as the first jab didn't do a thing and I had to wait some time for jab 2. They said if it didn't work by jab 3 then that your lot! Ne Mas.

Rotator cuff/shoulder injury on 10:34 - Jan 9 with 4872 viewsRadlett_blue

How old are you? Often, rotator cuff damage is a result of long term wear & tear & then surgery is often the only real solution but you want to make sure you get the best advice.
I dislocated my shoulder when I was 30 & then it became prone to dislocation as it had become loosened so it came out 4 times in the next 12 months. Surgery pinning it was so complicated then that I decided to give up football & other sports where I was likely to fall over & I've had little trouble with it since, but I think surgical techniques have improved massively since then.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Rotator cuff/shoulder injury on 11:40 - Jan 9 with 4822 viewsDubtractor

Thanks for all the comments on here.

Sort or reassuring that my slow recovery is the norm, though adds to the frustration!

I don't recall a specific incident that made it flare up, though suspect it relates to a football injury a few years ago where I landed hard on my shoulder and really fooked it. Either that or rsi from too much masturbation.

I'm 43 and reasonably decent shape, though have an on going back problem, probably due to 25 years of being an office monkey.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Rotator cuff/shoulder injury on 11:47 - Jan 9 with 4812 viewsRyorry

Rotator cuff/shoulder injury on 11:40 - Jan 9 by Dubtractor

Thanks for all the comments on here.

Sort or reassuring that my slow recovery is the norm, though adds to the frustration!

I don't recall a specific incident that made it flare up, though suspect it relates to a football injury a few years ago where I landed hard on my shoulder and really fooked it. Either that or rsi from too much masturbation.

I'm 43 and reasonably decent shape, though have an on going back problem, probably due to 25 years of being an office monkey.

Your shoulder may be too far gone/damaged for this, but just in case and fwiw, have you thought about trying an alternative therapy such as osteopathy, acupuncture etc?

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Rotator cuff/shoulder injury on 11:49 - Jan 9 with 4809 viewsArgyle_blue

Yes I have! Did it playing cricket - diving full length with arm outstretched. Really frustrating and annoying as its used so much - never knew how much until i injured it. Keep going with the physio. Change if you're not getting results though. I've also found out not all physios are equal. Good luck with it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024