Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? 10:22 - Feb 19 with 20862 viewsLeagueOne

.. with the complaint that politics has taken over this forum, and the subsequent fall out for the admins to deal with the upset over politics, should it be banned on here?

I think if it was a lot more supporters would engage with it and there would be a lot more actual football being discussed. Political forums exist elsewhere, what is the drive to use this as a political forum?

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned?

Your Vote:

You need to be logged in to vote on our site polls

[Post edited 19 Feb 2019 10:25]

It's time to make the best of it.
Poll: Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned?

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 10:26 - Feb 19 with 4961 views26_Paz

I enjoy laughing at those brainwashed by the cult of the Dear Leader far too much.

The Paz Man

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 10:31 - Feb 19 with 4941 viewsLeagueOne

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 10:26 - Feb 19 by 26_Paz

I enjoy laughing at those brainwashed by the cult of the Dear Leader far too much.

While I take the point that a few topical and general issues are fine, the fact the politics stuff has now taken over the forum and that's not it's purpose. We're here to talk about Ipswich Town, Tories, Labour, Liberals, Remainers and whatnot have other forums to communicate their views to.

It's also potentially a bigger issue in that we don't know who is saying what on here and they could have a particular vested interest in a campaign - for example an Labour Party Council candidate could be on here slagging Suffolk County Council and spreading muck, we wouldn't even know who it was or how true it was but it could influence the vote.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2019 10:31]

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 10:34 - Feb 19 with 4928 viewsCaptainAhab

If you don't want to read the political posts, don't click on them, simple as that.
Personally I like seeing political posts on this forum, and other very different forums as it gives a more rounded view of perspectives than, say, the Guardian, Times or Mail site alone ever would.
Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 10:39 - Feb 19 with 4906 viewsblueislander

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 10:31 - Feb 19 by LeagueOne

While I take the point that a few topical and general issues are fine, the fact the politics stuff has now taken over the forum and that's not it's purpose. We're here to talk about Ipswich Town, Tories, Labour, Liberals, Remainers and whatnot have other forums to communicate their views to.

It's also potentially a bigger issue in that we don't know who is saying what on here and they could have a particular vested interest in a campaign - for example an Labour Party Council candidate could be on here slagging Suffolk County Council and spreading muck, we wouldn't even know who it was or how true it was but it could influence the vote.

If you start with the premise that virtually everything posted on here is b-llocks you won't be far wrong.
Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 10:41 - Feb 19 with 4895 viewsKieran_Knows

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 10:34 - Feb 19 by CaptainAhab

If you don't want to read the political posts, don't click on them, simple as that.
Personally I like seeing political posts on this forum, and other very different forums as it gives a more rounded view of perspectives than, say, the Guardian, Times or Mail site alone ever would.

I have no interest in politics at all, and as you say, I very rarely, if ever click on them as I know it's always the same usual suspects arguing.

That said, would it not be worth having its own section? (like the football and general posts section do)

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 10:46 - Feb 19 with 4892 viewsGuthrum

It's a social media site for Ipswich Town fans (if it wasn't originally, it has become so). Those fans have a wide range of interests outside just the football. There is a filter for those who just want football stuff.

I wouldn't leave, but the forum would definitely lose something if politics and other stuff were banned.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 10:48 - Feb 19 with 4860 viewsGavTWTD

https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/category:1-football

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 10:49 - Feb 19 with 4847 viewsWeWereZombies

I would just find a way to disguise the politics under the football blether. Quite a similarity between Delia's approach and May's, wouldn't you say?

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Login to get fewer ads

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 10:51 - Feb 19 with 4829 viewsWD19

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 10:49 - Feb 19 by WeWereZombies

I would just find a way to disguise the politics under the football blether. Quite a similarity between Delia's approach and May's, wouldn't you say?

Are you suggesting Jezza is the new Paul Jewell?

Ken Clarke can play Joe Royle.
Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 10:51 - Feb 19 with 4823 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I think we just need a 'politics' tab.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 10:52 - Feb 19 with 4822 viewsitfcjoe

I dip in and out of the politics threads but like them generally - if I don't I don't read them.

I think I post more on here about football than anything else, but think the board would lose something without the wide array of subjects.

Also, what is happening now will probably the biggest political moment in the majority of our lives - it's no surprise that the volume of politics posts is increasing - most of the politics posters do post about football too, even GB and Zed seem to be the most dedicated politics posters.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 10:57 - Feb 19 with 4777 viewsRyorry

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 10:49 - Feb 19 by WeWereZombies

Fun new topic diversion (and that's another factor in this - threads very often simply do a natural sidetrack from one theme to another, same as convos in pubs do - you wouldn't ban pub chat for turning from discussing a football club into discussion of local politics and thereby into national politics, would you?) -

"Things Theresa May & Delia Smith have in common ..."

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 10:58 - Feb 19 with 4772 viewsWeWereZombies

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 10:51 - Feb 19 by WD19

Are you suggesting Jezza is the new Paul Jewell?

Ken Clarke can play Joe Royle.

Oooh, this is a good game

Bullard for Boris Johnson?

Berra for Phil Hammond?

Kenlock for Liam Fox?

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 10:58 - Feb 19 with 4771 viewsLeagueOne

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 10:34 - Feb 19 by CaptainAhab

I think it says more than you will leave if the politics were taken away.

If the Labour Party forum was full of football threads, they'd take it off there, but it's becoming increasingly apparent that this forum is becoming less and less about football and it will ultimately kill it off.

People are sick of seeing it, why can't you make those points elsewhere or under your actual names on social media and such?

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 11:00 - Feb 19 with 4752 viewsfooters

I like the irony of having a vote on the matter! Is this poll legally binding or merely advisory?

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 11:02 - Feb 19 with 4733 viewsGuthrum

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 10:58 - Feb 19 by WeWereZombies

Oooh, this is a good game

Bullard for Boris Johnson?

Berra for Phil Hammond?

Kenlock for Liam Fox?

Phil for Boutros Boutros-Ghali?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 11:05 - Feb 19 with 4716 viewsblueislander

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 10:58 - Feb 19 by LeagueOne

If the Labour Party forum was full of football threads, they'd take it off there, but it's becoming increasingly apparent that this forum is becoming less and less about football and it will ultimately kill it off.

People are sick of seeing it, why can't you make those points elsewhere or under your actual names on social media and such?

TWTD basically earns its living from volume of posts, so it would be a huge own goal if they were to ban political posts.

2people are sick of seeing it" How many people? Why are they not protesting? Probably because they have learned to not open the non-football threads.
Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 11:05 - Feb 19 with 4707 viewsRyorry

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 10:58 - Feb 19 by LeagueOne

What a load of rubbish - politics happens seven days a week, football matches for our club happen once or twice a week. Have you never seen how the political threads pretty much disappear from p1 on matchdays and on the last day of transfer windows etc?

As for this "forum is becoming less and less about football and it will ultimately kill it off." that's complete nonsense too - the TWTD forum's evolved into what it has become now over 25 years, and has clearly grown in popularity over that timespan (maybe Gav has some stats?)

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 11:05 - Feb 19 with 4708 viewsPinewoodblue

You don't have to read something just because it has been posted on TWTD. You do have some control of your life, see Gav's post.

As a point of order shouldn't this be a general rather than football post?
[Post edited 19 Feb 2019 11:08]

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 11:09 - Feb 19 with 4670 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 11:00 - Feb 19 by footers

I like the irony of having a vote on the matter! Is this poll legally binding or merely advisory?

Of course its not legally binding. Only an utter fool would consider a vote on such an important subject to be legally binding ;-)

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 11:09 - Feb 19 with 4670 viewsWeWereZombies

The first time I looked at TWTD, well over fifteen years ago, a couple of posters were running a skit about the Manic Street Preachers missing Ritchie Edwards. There used to be a lot more lust and hooliganism talked about then. This site has never solely been dedicated to football (hence the 'general' button for threads, and that is monitored).

As with most social media, to survive TWTD has had to be careful not to give 'airtime' to views that offend and that in itself is political. If a post annoys you, and you can articulate why, then would it not be better to respond pointing out the error of their ways to the poster?

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 11:12 - Feb 19 with 4632 viewsjeera

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 10:31 - Feb 19 by LeagueOne

"...that's not it's [sic] purpose."

Says who? Unless you're a returned poster under a new name you've not been using the forum more than 5 minutes and you're trying to say how it should be run.

How difficult can it be to use the filter? It literally blanks out all non-football posts.

It's almost as though it was put there deliberately.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 11:13 - Feb 19 with 4636 viewsSamWhiteUK

It wouldn't be anywhere near as much of a problem if people used the football forum for football related stuff. That's the only forum I think should be present, to be honest. Ban everything BUT football, there are other websites much more suited to other discussions.

But the current state where you keep seeing Corbyn in the football thread.... Anyone would think we were playing him on our left wing
Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 11:16 - Feb 19 with 4612 viewsWeWereZombies

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 11:13 - Feb 19 by SamWhiteUK

It wouldn't be anywhere near as much of a problem if people used the football forum for football related stuff. That's the only forum I think should be present, to be honest. Ban everything BUT football, there are other websites much more suited to other discussions.

But the current state where you keep seeing Corbyn in the football thread.... Anyone would think we were playing him on our left wing

But he is turning out to be quite the authoritarian, isn't he? I think Corbyn would be more effective on the right wing.

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 11:16 - Feb 19 with 4607 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 11:13 - Feb 19 by SamWhiteUK

Definitely wouldnt play Corbyn, he has absolutely no end product!! No delivery whatsoever.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024