Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? 10:22 - Feb 19 with 21085 viewsLeagueOne

.. with the complaint that politics has taken over this forum, and the subsequent fall out for the admins to deal with the upset over politics, should it be banned on here?

I think if it was a lot more supporters would engage with it and there would be a lot more actual football being discussed. Political forums exist elsewhere, what is the drive to use this as a political forum?

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned?

Your Vote:

You need to be logged in to vote on our site polls

[Post edited 19 Feb 2019 10:25]

It's time to make the best of it.
Poll: Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned?

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 12:35 - Feb 19 with 4943 viewscaught-in-limbo

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 12:04 - Feb 19 by Ryorry

Thing is, you can read about/catch up with/comment on ITFC matters on many other sites - forums, social media etc - but TWTD is unique, and it's the "other stuff" that makes it so.

I have no problems with other stuff. Cheese for example is always welcome.

Fracking too or other environmental concerns also fine.

Party politics on the other hand is usually just a painful cyclical argument between the same old people.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 12:37 - Feb 19 with 4930 viewsfooters

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 12:32 - Feb 19 by Superblue95

I’ve little interest in the political posts but don’t understand why anybody would want them to be banned.

In fact, I find it enjoyable to hop into a 10 pager around page 7/8 and read all the arguments going on there. It’s more enjoyable than reading 10 different threads predicting the next games starting lineup or the 4568534768th thread on why Emmanuel and Kenlock don’t play every week

You don't find guess the attendance threads compelling reading?

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 12:44 - Feb 19 with 4909 viewsSuperblue95

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 12:37 - Feb 19 by footers

You don't find guess the attendance threads compelling reading?

Well they don’t compare to all the “our next game really is must win/last chance saloon/this seasons turning point” threads that have popped up every week multiple times since September but they will do I guess

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 12:55 - Feb 19 with 4884 viewsRyorry

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 12:32 - Feb 19 by Superblue95

I’ve little interest in the political posts but don’t understand why anybody would want them to be banned.

In fact, I find it enjoyable to hop into a 10 pager around page 7/8 and read all the arguments going on there. It’s more enjoyable than reading 10 different threads predicting the next games starting lineup or the 4568534768th thread on why Emmanuel and Kenlock don’t play every week

Not to mention Keane v Jewell, Shefki v Pablo ... oops, there I go again!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 13:00 - Feb 19 with 4875 viewsSuperblue95

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 12:55 - Feb 19 by Ryorry

Not to mention Keane v Jewell, Shefki v Pablo ... oops, there I go again!

Simples, Keane and Pablo.

Perhaps we could have the winners put in a room together and film what they have to say to each other?

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 13:01 - Feb 19 with 4869 viewsChampionship

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 11:59 - Feb 19 by caught-in-limbo

It would be fascinating to see who'd stop posting if they were banned.

Can we try it until the end of the season at least?

I think the other five voted yes like I did just because the question is so stupid. Would be much better to ask if people are bothered by them or enjoy them.
Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 13:03 - Feb 19 with 4867 viewspositivity

i like the diversity; on other social media sites you're stuck in your own echo chamber, it's good to see different opinions, however crazed!

as numerous people have stated there is a football option at the top, but politics is everything and it's impossible to split it totally. read this if you want an interesting read on football AND politics!
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/feb/15/sportswashing-europes-biggest-c

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 13:08 - Feb 19 with 4844 viewslowhouseblue

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 13:03 - Feb 19 by positivity

i like the diversity; on other social media sites you're stuck in your own echo chamber, it's good to see different opinions, however crazed!

as numerous people have stated there is a football option at the top, but politics is everything and it's impossible to split it totally. read this if you want an interesting read on football AND politics!
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/feb/15/sportswashing-europes-biggest-c

exactly this. the diversity is unusual and a real plus.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Login to get fewer ads

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 13:19 - Feb 19 with 4811 viewsartsbossbeard

The big issue on here is that nobody is ever going to back down and admit that they're wrong, it's simply rosette wearing buffoonery.

After rather underhandedly being snitched on to teacher a few weeks back, I decided to curtail my politics involvement completely.

I will say that my current work on a Scientology support group forum, which may or may not be connected to the "church", is the stuff of legends and I'm expecting a PI to be posted outside my house and my personal history to be combed through.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 13:25 - Feb 19 with 4792 viewsSteve_M

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 11:18 - Feb 19 by Ryorry

You can even choose, in your settings, to see only football posts.

I find the breadth & depth of info and discussion on here, whether re politics, economics, history, geography, business, trade, entertainment, DIY, social affairs etc etc etc - more informative, better researched/explored/investigated/challenged, and therefore more interesting and reliable than any other media out there, whether that's website, print, social or other media. So much so that I've referred some friends with no interest at all in football, to it, as worth reading.

This may actually be down to it actually being ostensibly a football forum, with members being a naturally broad cross-section of society living all over the world, rather than a self-selecting group of (say) Guardian or Telegraph readers or any particular political party voters.

Yep, TWTD's efforts in countering internet filter bubbles is one of many good reasons to keep this site broadly as it is.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2019 14:31]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 13:27 - Feb 19 with 4785 viewsSteve_M

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 13:19 - Feb 19 by artsbossbeard

The big issue on here is that nobody is ever going to back down and admit that they're wrong, it's simply rosette wearing buffoonery.

After rather underhandedly being snitched on to teacher a few weeks back, I decided to curtail my politics involvement completely.

I will say that my current work on a Scientology support group forum, which may or may not be connected to the "church", is the stuff of legends and I'm expecting a PI to be posted outside my house and my personal history to be combed through.

Now, that surely calls for a good old 90s-style board invasion.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 13:28 - Feb 19 with 4769 viewsGlasgowBlue

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 13:19 - Feb 19 by artsbossbeard

You weren't underhandedly snitched on. Before reporting your post as abuse I courteously took the troubling of explaining to you why I believe what you had posted was unacceptable and my reasons for reporting it.

I also very courteously offered to meet you face to face at this weekends game away to Wigan in order to further explain why your comments were offensive to myself and my family. You declined. The offer still stands.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2019 13:28]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 13:29 - Feb 19 with 4767 viewsEly_Blue

Why is there no option for “it would encourage me to pay more attention to TWTD”

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 13:30 - Feb 19 with 4761 viewsartsbossbeard

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 13:28 - Feb 19 by GlasgowBlue

You weren't underhandedly snitched on. Before reporting your post as abuse I courteously took the troubling of explaining to you why I believe what you had posted was unacceptable and my reasons for reporting it.

I also very courteously offered to meet you face to face at this weekends game away to Wigan in order to further explain why your comments were offensive to myself and my family. You declined. The offer still stands.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2019 13:28]

I bid you good day.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 13:44 - Feb 19 with 4708 viewsTNBlue

No, but the number of posts would decline by about 90% I reckon
Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 13:56 - Feb 19 with 4682 viewsRyorry

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 13:25 - Feb 19 by Steve_M

Yep, TWTD's efforts in countering internet filter bubbles is one of many good reasons to keep this site broadly as it is.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2019 14:31]

You mean "filter bubbles"? I had to look it up! but yes indeed -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filter_bubble

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 13:59 - Feb 19 with 4675 viewsGavTWTD

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 11:51 - Feb 19 by AlanG296

Mods just need to move anything off the Football board that is not football related. Threads can be both football and politics related though, e.g. employment of non UK footballers post EU exit.

On the football thread there was only one non-football thread in 40 so people aren't doing a bad job.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 14:03 - Feb 19 with 4644 viewsRyorry

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 13:03 - Feb 19 by positivity

That's an amazing eye-opener of a link - and point prover! - thanks for posting :)

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 14:05 - Feb 19 with 4618 viewsBrixtonBlue

Just don't open the political threads.

You dozy twonk.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 14:06 - Feb 19 with 4613 viewsjeera

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 13:59 - Feb 19 by GavTWTD

On the football thread there was only one non-football thread in 40 so people aren't doing a bad job.

But was it something which required widespread attention?

Like crisp flavours or something?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 14:07 - Feb 19 with 4618 viewshoppy

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 13:00 - Feb 19 by Superblue95

Simples, Keane and Pablo.

Perhaps we could have the winners put in a room together and film what they have to say to each other?

But, are you saying Keane and Pablo were better or worse?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 14:08 - Feb 19 with 4614 viewsfooters

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 14:06 - Feb 19 by jeera

But was it something which required widespread attention?

Like crisp flavours or something?

Crisp threads are some of the better ones on TWTD. I've now just opened some pickled onion Monster Munch. Now there's something we can all agree on.

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 14:10 - Feb 19 with 4603 viewsjeera

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 14:08 - Feb 19 by footers

Crisp threads are some of the better ones on TWTD. I've now just opened some pickled onion Monster Munch. Now there's something we can all agree on.

Yes.

They're fecking awful.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 14:10 - Feb 19 with 4609 viewshoppy

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 14:08 - Feb 19 by footers

Hmmm. Not sure on the pickled onion ones.

I've just had some nice Kettles Sea Salt and Crushed Black Peppercorns crisps.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 14:11 - Feb 19 with 4600 viewsfooters

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 14:10 - Feb 19 by hoppy

Hmmm. Not sure on the pickled onion ones.

I've just had some nice Kettles Sea Salt and Crushed Black Peppercorns crisps.

Kettle Chips are sadly made in Nodge. Traitor!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024