Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? 10:22 - Feb 19 with 21137 viewsLeagueOne

.. with the complaint that politics has taken over this forum, and the subsequent fall out for the admins to deal with the upset over politics, should it be banned on here?

I think if it was a lot more supporters would engage with it and there would be a lot more actual football being discussed. Political forums exist elsewhere, what is the drive to use this as a political forum?

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned?

Your Vote:

You need to be logged in to vote on our site polls

[Post edited 19 Feb 2019 10:25]

It's time to make the best of it.
Poll: Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned?

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 15:13 - Feb 19 with 5918 viewscaught-in-limbo

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 15:11 - Feb 19 by chicoazul

Presented with reality. Info goes against learned misrepresentation. Lost for words. Post a gif.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2019 15:16]

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 15:15 - Feb 19 with 5920 viewschicoazul

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 15:13 - Feb 19 by caught-in-limbo

Presented with reality. Info goes against learned misrepresentation. Lost for words. Post a gif.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2019 15:16]

Reality? You're acting like we aren't living in a simulation.

To tell you the truth you are one of the people on here I enjoy annoying for my own utopic contentment between appointments.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 15:15 - Feb 19 with 5918 viewsLeagueOne

At present we now lose 7 of the what 50 active users top without politics but would probably gain more and get people back on board for next season without all the political arguing on here overtaking the football debate. I doubt those 7 will actually leave and if they did I would assume they were never Ipswich supporters, to begin with, and were just using this forum for political arguments.

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 15:19 - Feb 19 with 5900 viewsDarth_Koont

I'd have agreed with you a few years back. Certainly the red vs. blue discussions were utterly pointless and covering up bigger problems within the UK.

We still have a lot of that game-playing in Westminster and on here, trying to sell us the idea that we're seeing some sophisticated and important game of chess. But the underlying reality is taking over as Scottish independence, Brexit, the widening gaps between people, communities and regions, and the inadequacy of politicians and their parties to deal with this modern world become more and more the issues.

So, in that sense I think this is an important time to be political and think about what the UK needs going forward. It seems to me that we've arrived at a juncture where we either get to grips with reality and our political system or head back into the warm, blind comfort of pretend-politics as spouted by the major parties and the news media.

Pronouns: He/Him

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 15:20 - Feb 19 with 5892 viewscaught-in-limbo

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 15:15 - Feb 19 by chicoazul

To tell you the truth you are one of the people on here I enjoy annoying for my own utopic contentment between appointments.

I would say you were in the lower quartile for posters that annoy me and that's only because of your avatar picture.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 15:25 - Feb 19 with 5876 viewsChampionship

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 15:15 - Feb 19 by LeagueOne

At present we now lose 7 of the what 50 active users top without politics but would probably gain more and get people back on board for next season without all the political arguing on here overtaking the football debate. I doubt those 7 will actually leave and if they did I would assume they were never Ipswich supporters, to begin with, and were just using this forum for political arguments.

Your question was incredibly stupid. Most people probably chose the less extreme option. If you had asked a sensible question it would likely be a lot closer.
Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 15:39 - Feb 19 with 5842 viewsfactual_blue

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 11:35 - Feb 19 by jeera

I've not seen Keno on here for weeks.

Penny's been on a photo shoot for the new Travelsphere holiday brochure. I imagine he's been keeping an eye on her, in case she tries to make a break for it.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 16:00 - Feb 19 with 5796 viewsGavTWTD

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 15:15 - Feb 19 by LeagueOne

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Login to get fewer ads

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 16:07 - Feb 19 with 5771 viewschicoazul

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 15:20 - Feb 19 by caught-in-limbo

I would say you were in the lower quartile for posters that annoy me and that's only because of your avatar picture.

Oh im sorry to hear that, I need to up my game. Tell us your thoughts about the Sandy Hook massacre.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 16:52 - Feb 19 with 5722 viewsRyorry

So that's you, with a post count of maybe a couple of hundred, and whose entire history on here goes all the way back to, wow, the start of this season! - telling thousands of people, many of whom have been posting here for literally decades, and without whose posts both political and football the site might not have been able to continue to its present wonderful existence, to sid off? Wow.

Not to mention your nauseating insult as to whether we're "real" Town fans. Some of us have been following ITFC since before you were even born, I'm pretty sure sonny (since c. 1973 myself).
[Post edited 19 Feb 2019 16:55]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 17:17 - Feb 19 with 5694 viewsPinewoodblue

You don't give up to you. Anyone would think it was half term.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 17:27 - Feb 19 with 5683 viewsBrixtonBlue

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 15:15 - Feb 19 by chicoazul

Anyone who enjoys annoying others on the internet ought to have a long look at themselves.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 17:28 - Feb 19 with 5684 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Haven't trawled through all this and won't be voting on the poll. I am sure someone has suggested it but what you really need is to have sort of split tool so you can just view football posts or general ones including football. I don't know why admin hasn't already sorted it!

It would of course require those who post to correctly assign their posts!

Seriously, if politics has become something specific that a few people wish to not show up, perhaps there should be a third option of "politics" with a hide/show option. However, if that is the case where do we stop? I don't wish to see posts about NFL. Some don't wish to see posts about other teams other than Town. How many different sub-categories could someone want? Perhaps Football and General is the best option. Best someone suggest that to the admin. After all the time they have been running the site one would have thought they might have come up with it!

Most people give a reasonable idea of what the start of a thread is about with their title. We all have a choice of whether to click on it and find out more.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 17:28 - Feb 19 with 5682 viewshampstead_blue

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 10:31 - Feb 19 by LeagueOne

While I take the point that a few topical and general issues are fine, the fact the politics stuff has now taken over the forum and that's not it's purpose. We're here to talk about Ipswich Town, Tories, Labour, Liberals, Remainers and whatnot have other forums to communicate their views to.

It's also potentially a bigger issue in that we don't know who is saying what on here and they could have a particular vested interest in a campaign - for example an Labour Party Council candidate could be on here slagging Suffolk County Council and spreading muck, we wouldn't even know who it was or how true it was but it could influence the vote.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2019 10:31]

Diversity is a wondrous fuel.

Closing it to anything but football is so Big Brother. Are you are member of Momentum trying to kill the open debate?
;-)

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 21:38 - Feb 19 with 5590 viewsEwan_Oozami

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 13:56 - Feb 19 by Ryorry

You mean "filter bubbles"? I had to look it up! but yes indeed -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filter_bubble

This is the sort of thing Phil and Gav need to get wise to! :-)

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/feb/02/how-youtubes-algorithm-distor

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 22:32 - Feb 19 with 5557 viewsLeagueOne

A whopping 10 people would leave, but they wouldn't.

Kill the politics threads.

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 22:37 - Feb 19 with 5543 viewsGlasgowBlue

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 17:27 - Feb 19 by BrixtonBlue

Anyone who enjoys annoying others on the internet ought to have a long look at themselves.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 22:39 - Feb 19 with 5539 viewsGlasgowBlue

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 22:32 - Feb 19 by LeagueOne

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? by GlasgowBlue 19 Feb 2019 14:30
Ahem.

https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/453897/4243391/just-googled-luciana-berger-political-achievements-and-came-up-with-this.....!/#post4243391

https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/453891/4243232/new-politics-from-the-independent-group/#post4243232

https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/453891/4243138/new-politics-from-the-independent-group/#post4243138

https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/453708/4240344/watching-trump-live...../#post4240344

https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/453701/4240248/these-climate-strikes-today/#post4240248

https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/453517/4237788/this-bloke-is-a-tory-councillor/#post4237788

https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/453437/4236762/brexit-the-moral-case-for-a-second-referendum/#post4236762

https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/453002/4231888/a-reminder-that-the-dup-do-not-speak-for-all-of-ni/#post4231888

https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/452962/4231185/looks-like-moderate-labour-mp%E2%80%99s-are-about-to-form-a-new-party/#post4231185

etc etc

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 22:45 - Feb 19 with 5537 viewsChampionship

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 22:32 - Feb 19 by LeagueOne

Bloody hell you're thick.
Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 23:06 - Feb 19 with 5513 viewsMelford

I try to keep out of politics on here now . I used to on here a long while ago but gave it up because all of the endless arguing that continued by PMs by people who couldn't let it go. For the record I am a fully paid-up member of the Labour Party and Momentum. I am very much a leftist and I used to come on here and fight the cause living up to my avatar but now I just keep my head down on that front on here.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 23:07 - Feb 19 with 5509 viewsreusersfreekicks

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 10:58 - Feb 19 by LeagueOne

I think it says more than you will leave if the politics were taken away.

If the Labour Party forum was full of football threads, they'd take it off there, but it's becoming increasingly apparent that this forum is becoming less and less about football and it will ultimately kill it off.

People are sick of seeing it, why can't you make those points elsewhere or under your actual names on social media and such?

Trying to create an issue where there isn't one. Stick to being 110% negative about football.
Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 23:36 - Feb 19 with 5480 viewsBrixtonBlue

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 22:37 - Feb 19 by GlasgowBlue

I don't deliberately annoy people.

Are you in need of a word from Phil again? You seem to be rabidly attacking me tonight for no apparent reason.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 00:06 - Feb 20 with 5459 viewsRyorry

So you're saying that having joined this site all of 6 months ago, you now know how to run it much better than Phil & Gav, who founded and built it up over a 25 year period to its current hugely popular and successful level. Yet you still haven't worked out how to customise it with the currently available options to suit your own preferences.

Well done on taking my breath away for presumptiousness, arrogance and lack of brain.

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 01:02 - Feb 20 with 5432 viewsRyorry

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 14:18 - Feb 19 by LeagueOne

At the moment we're keeping political threads for the sake of just 6 people - I'd say bin the politics and if people want that they should go elsewhere and let the forum focus on football again.

I also don't like the idea that one of you is Ben Gummer hiding here. ;)

10 people currently*. But you're the only one who's so unhappy with the status quo that they're saying "bin the politics and if people want that they should go elsewhere and let the forum focus on football again."

So, 10 : 1. As we live in a democracy, I reckon it should be you that goes whilst we remain. Heck, even 5.2 : 4.8 was considered democratic!

Alternatively, you could always start your own website and set the rules to suit yourself :)

*Don't know the figures for the current membership, but going by the numbers logged in on matchdays, I think it may well be thousands. Extrapolate the 10 currently forming 16.7% of the vote, and you'd have a very large number indeed no longer posting.

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 02:27 - Feb 20 with 5405 viewsjeera

Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned? on 16:00 - Feb 19 by GavTWTD

Wouldn't happen to have an IP address somewhere up the A140 would he?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024