Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What we really need is another Mick McCarthy post 09:49 - Apr 29 with 4498 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

I'm just wondering how people view Mick after everything that has happened?

I was in the majority it seems of thinking Mick had done a great job, was a fantastic bloke, but that it was best for everyone to go in a different direction. That was never the mistake. It was replacing him with Hurst and allowing him to replace the entire squad with players unproven at Championship level.

I started off thinking McCarthy was the best thing since sliced bread, the way he cultivated an amazing team spirit and got us organised and fighting for promotion was incredible. However, post Reading and that 5-1 defeat it all started to go downhill and for the small minority of fans that got on the blokes back (some totally out of order - but let's be honest, at most other clubs by that stage Mick would have gotten far worse from the majority) Mick then really started to make matters worse for himself.

I appreciate that he will be asked questions but I really did have the bloke down as the sort to say 'it's not my club any more and I feel really sorry for everyone associated with the club'. Something professional that you'd hear from 99% of the managers.

However, making a comment about sexy League One football (even if aimed at that small group) and commenting on (let's be honest - confidential) contractual situations is out of order. Yes, we know players will take a cut but nobody at the club felt the need to comment on how much, the players have not. An ex-manager should not be coming out with that.

So how do people now view McCarthy? Still like the bloke or can't stand him? I must say it feels like 3 years of worshipping him, followed by 3 years of being really irritated with his conduct has left me pretty much smack bang in the middle, but fear that with any more unnecessary comments about the club I'm going to actually start disliking the guy, which is sad when he did so much for the club initially.
[Post edited 29 Apr 2019 9:59]

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

What we really need is another Mick McCarthy post on 09:53 - Apr 29 with 3653 viewsHerbivore

Good manager who did well here and was treated appallingly by a section of the fan base. He's not our manager now so I don't really care about him anymore, his comments don't bother me as they are aimed at that section of fans who probably deserve a bit of a dig back.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

What we really need is another Mick McCarthy post on 09:56 - Apr 29 with 3635 viewsskyblue23

I was very much in the camp of time to go but has done a good job in the past. But since he's left the club I very much hate the guy.

Mainly because of the comments he has made since leaving in regards to different things. But also our own fans bringing up our ex ex manager whenever we lose. I don't bring up what George Burley would have done and I hold him much higher regard than Mick McCarthy.

Poll: Paul Lambert moves on, would you be happy if Jim Magilton was given another go?

What we really need is another Mick McCarthy post on 10:24 - Apr 29 with 3585 viewsfactual_blue

What we really need is another Mick McCarthy post on 09:53 - Apr 29 by Herbivore

Good manager who did well here and was treated appallingly by a section of the fan base. He's not our manager now so I don't really care about him anymore, his comments don't bother me as they are aimed at that section of fans who probably deserve a bit of a dig back.

That section of fans behaved appallingly. 'Numbskulls' was an extremely restrained epithet to apply to them.

(They'll all be looking up epithet now.)

And then downvoting this post.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

What we really need is another Mick McCarthy post on 10:40 - Apr 29 with 3555 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I was similar to you, but the snide remarks are juvenile and needless.

I am now indifferent to Mick, he needs to stay in the past.

He did a good job, but didn't over achieve to the extent he thinks he did.

Chris Wilder has over achieved.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

What we really need is another Mick McCarthy post on 10:47 - Apr 29 with 3536 viewsSwansea_Blue

What we really need is another Mick McCarthy post on 09:53 - Apr 29 by Herbivore

Yeah he's a good manager and was treated badly towards the end. His football was "sh*t" though, to quote one of their chants. Not that I joined in, or would even consider doing so. Sh*t but effective, given the conditions he was asked to work under. It sucked the life out of the club.

Anyway, he was TWO managers ago now. It wasn't Mick that directly got us in the mess we are now. People should vent their anger/grumbles at Hurst and the plonker who gave him free rein to dismantle us.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Still like the bloke or can't stand him? on 10:50 - Apr 29 with 3541 viewsDyland

Neither. Though the pendulum is swinging towards dislike tbh.

However, it's going to take a lot to get over the people chanting anti-Mick stuff at Norwich and other mitigating circumstances in his defence.

Then again, I suppose I can think the numpties AND Mick are all as divvy as each other. So there's my answer :)

COYFB

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

What we really need is another Mick McCarthy post on 10:54 - Apr 29 with 3532 viewsSomethingBlue

Big fan of Mick and the job he did; no problem with anything he has said and why should I have; thought it was absolutely time for him to leave and that probably remains the case despite the appalling disaster that has unfolded since; think the club made a big mistake in not creating the kind of structure that would survive his departure.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

What we really need is another Mick McCarthy post on 11:11 - Apr 29 with 3481 viewsPJH

Love him and always will love him.

It is amusing that people still start boring threads saying that they are bored by MM's quotes-I know that this thread is not started as that sort of thread.
Login to get fewer ads

What we really need is another Mick McCarthy post on 11:28 - Apr 29 with 3450 viewspatrickswell

Big fan of Mick and felt he was let down by Evans in 2015 and beyond. Could understand why people wanted a change, but I find it an amazing indictment of Ipswich in Evans's time is that Mick at his worst is still a million miles better than the various car-crashes overseen by Keane/Jewell/Hurst and Lambert.
What we really need is another Mick McCarthy post on 11:49 - Apr 29 with 3409 viewsPJH

What we really need is another Mick McCarthy post on 10:24 - Apr 29 by factual_blue

That section of fans behaved appallingly. 'Numbskulls' was an extremely restrained epithet to apply to them.

(They'll all be looking up epithet now.)

And then downvoting this post.

I never really liked the term "numbskulls", when reacting to them I usually either out loud or in my head used two words with "idiots" often being the second one.
What we really need is another Mick McCarthy post on 11:59 - Apr 29 with 3382 viewsKeaneish

Did a solid job, exceptional in the transfer market but bored me to tears every game. The humiliation against Reading was too much for his ego, which surfaced more the longer his tenure went on.

Before i would have clapped his arrival back at Portman Road. After outbursts and statements both pre and post leaving the club, i'll keep my hands firmly in my pocket and look at him with a bit of distaste i expect. Any more jibes toward Town fans and i'll likely not be as apathetic.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

What we really need is another Mick McCarthy post on 12:02 - Apr 29 with 3373 viewsCOYBitfc

I think you have summed it up very well from my point of view.

The point that I don't think is emphasised enough in the football world in my opinion is where you say "but let's be honest, at most other clubs by that stage Mick would have gotten far worse from the majority"... For some reason it is seen as poor from us, the fans, that MM got some stick (some OTT yes), but lets say it was Leeds, Villa, Brum etc, the sheer number of fans giving it to him would have far greater than he had here and the spin on it from the wider footballing world would not be so damming of those fans, instead phrases like "they don't suffer fools" "have high expectations" "let you know when they are not pleased" would have been used, not condescending remarks like we constantly see said about us. MM was certainly given an easy ride here, that cannot be argued.

Poll: Current/prospective ST holders, what scenario will you purchase for next season?

What we really need is another Mick McCarthy post on 12:27 - Apr 29 with 3337 viewsFtnfwest

As i've said before on here the day he walked through the door i looked forward to the day he'd leave but i have the utmost respect for the job he did here initially. As time went on and we got over the peak of the first half of the 2014/15 season it was clear that the on the field approach had already been figured out by most sides, which happens sooner of later with a direct style and without his 'contacts' in the game i think the following couple of seasons would have been even more of a struggle than they were. Plus, yes at the same time his off the field behaviour came more to the fore with nothing much on it to deflect from that. The whole self centred thing & not ever relating to the club itself (other than the players who he was always loyal to), the totally unnecessary swearing in press conferences and basically the football itself just took its toll in the end.
He built as i've mentioned a great loyalty amongst his squad and staff to approach the games the way they did and built a siege mentality against the world but put the fans and club on the outside of that, not the inside. Went a year too late in the end.
What we really need is another Mick McCarthy post on 12:33 - Apr 29 with 3312 viewsFtnfwest

What we really need is another Mick McCarthy post on 11:28 - Apr 29 by patrickswell

Big fan of Mick and felt he was let down by Evans in 2015 and beyond. Could understand why people wanted a change, but I find it an amazing indictment of Ipswich in Evans's time is that Mick at his worst is still a million miles better than the various car-crashes overseen by Keane/Jewell/Hurst and Lambert.

Evans let Mick down to some degree across his time at Town but in 2015 MM came out and said that aside from getting Freddie in as reinforcement, no-one else would improve on what he had already (of course within reason).
Whether he felt that or not is another matter but it's interesting that the manager to spend the most in that window in our history (since the January window came in) was Jim, and we got worse as it upset the balance of the side he'd created previously.
What we really need is another Mick McCarthy post on 12:36 - Apr 29 with 3307 viewsIllinoisblue

It’s time to move on. And focus on the worrying likelihood that Lambert might not be a very good manager.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

What we really need is another Mick McCarthy post on 12:44 - Apr 29 with 3285 viewslondontractorboy57

In 5 years time we will see how good he was the snowflakes started the abuse and couldnt cope with his reaction.
I pray that PL can bring back the good times based on what I've seen so far I doubt it.
We had one shot in 89 minutes Saturday not a word mentioned I had to sit through 89 minutes of verbal abuse to a manager at Burton what's the difference between then and now.
What we really need is another Mick McCarthy post on 12:54 - Apr 29 with 3258 viewsMrTown

Was very much time for MM and Town to go down different routes, obviously our route has not worked out how we had hoped for but it does not eradicate the fact MM had to leave one ounce.

Built up a v good squad on free transfers but underachieved in his final year with the players that he had imo.
[Post edited 29 Apr 2019 12:55]

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

What we really need is another Mick McCarthy post on 12:56 - Apr 29 with 3247 viewsMrTown

Apart from the Brentford game which was a very small minority of so called 'fans' who I think only turn up for the day outs in London every year. How was he treated 'appallingly'.

What we really need is another Mick McCarthy post on 13:02 - Apr 29 with 3226 viewsHerbivore

What we really need is another Mick McCarthy post on 12:56 - Apr 29 by MrTown

Apart from the Brentford game which was a very small minority of so called 'fans' who I think only turn up for the day outs in London every year. How was he treated 'appallingly'.

Well call me old fashioned but chanting against your team and manager when you are drawing away from home in a derby game is pretty bad form. There were loads of times he was booed and chanted against and it wasn't warranted.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

What we really need is another Mick McCarthy post on 13:03 - Apr 29 with 3217 viewsMrTown

What we really need is another Mick McCarthy post on 13:02 - Apr 29 by Herbivore

Well call me old fashioned but chanting against your team and manager when you are drawing away from home in a derby game is pretty bad form. There were loads of times he was booed and chanted against and it wasn't warranted.

Wasn't at the Norwich (a) game but there were also a lot of games when we were boring, dull, uninspiring and lacked entertainment.

And the fans pay £30 per ticket etc so surely they are entitled to voice their annoyance?

What we really need is another Mick McCarthy post on 13:04 - Apr 29 with 3210 viewsTractorCam

Treated like a god in the first 3 years and rightly so

Met with apathy in the last 3 years and rightly so, no more than he would have been met with at another club

Brentford away was a disgrace by the fans

Respected him for the overall job he had done when he left, now as he continues these stupid comments that were ridiculous when he was here anyway, I can't stand the bloke.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

What we really need is another Mick McCarthy post on 13:07 - Apr 29 with 3200 viewsMrTown

What we really need is another Mick McCarthy post on 13:04 - Apr 29 by TractorCam

Treated like a god in the first 3 years and rightly so

Met with apathy in the last 3 years and rightly so, no more than he would have been met with at another club

Brentford away was a disgrace by the fans

Respected him for the overall job he had done when he left, now as he continues these stupid comments that were ridiculous when he was here anyway, I can't stand the bloke.

Agree, his overall job first 3 years was superb. Seemed to do worse with a better squad in the second half of his tenure.

apathy and boredom met with high ticketing prices is not a healthy recipe.

What we really need is another Mick McCarthy post on 13:08 - Apr 29 with 3196 viewsJ2BLUE

I like him and think he did a good job here. It was time for him to go though. His comments after the two home games where we had a risk free shot at having a crack at the play offs and he said it isn't his style to just go for it was the beginning of the end for me. I have no issue with him taking the odd shot at the biggest abusers but I think he has had his fill and should now move on. I don't like him talking about player contracts and that lost him a little respect in my eyes but if he now shuts up I wish him nothing but success and hope he returns to PR one day as a manager of the opposition so we can give him a clap and a cheer and let him know he was appreciated.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

What we really need is another Mick McCarthy post on 13:09 - Apr 29 with 3187 viewsTractorCam

What we really need is another Mick McCarthy post on 13:07 - Apr 29 by MrTown

Agree, his overall job first 3 years was superb. Seemed to do worse with a better squad in the second half of his tenure.

apathy and boredom met with high ticketing prices is not a healthy recipe.

Agree, his style of play worked well the workhorses in 2014/15 but after that we actually had quality to play positive football. We would get results then take a beating and change it up again. He was brilliant at transfers other than the midfield.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

What we really need is another Mick McCarthy post on 13:09 - Apr 29 with 3186 viewsjeera

What we really need is another Mick McCarthy post on 12:33 - Apr 29 by Ftnfwest

Evans let Mick down to some degree across his time at Town but in 2015 MM came out and said that aside from getting Freddie in as reinforcement, no-one else would improve on what he had already (of course within reason).
Whether he felt that or not is another matter but it's interesting that the manager to spend the most in that window in our history (since the January window came in) was Jim, and we got worse as it upset the balance of the side he'd created previously.

Regarding your point about JIm, that's precisely how McC qualified that window.

If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it approach. He stated he didn't want to upset anything whilst it was going well.

But also for anyone who has repeatedly taken each word he spoke as gospel and analysed them over and over looking for discrepancies, it's crazy.

There's no way he wouldn't have had half an eye out for someone suitable to come in at all times. If the right man wasn't available at the right money then so be it.

If there was one positive with McC's transfers it was that he didn't rush out like a kid in a sweet shop and waste money. That's a good thing.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024