Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Have we lost our first thread of 2021? 08:45 - Jan 2 with 4717 viewsGlasgowBlue

Anyway. I was about to add this link to the thread.

If you want to see a bunch of selfish supper spreader pricks on New Year’s Eve, there they are in the link. I hope none of them do catch COVID as the likelihood is that they will then lass pass it on to some vulnerable b*goer who may well die.
[Post edited 2 Jan 2021 8:48]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Have we lost our first thread of 2021? on 08:48 - Jan 2 with 2070 viewsWD19

Which nine did you have in mind? Can we club together and cover eighteen?
Have we lost our first thread of 2021? on 08:51 - Jan 2 with 2053 viewsGlasgowBlue

Have we lost our first thread of 2021? on 08:48 - Jan 2 by WD19

Which nine did you have in mind? Can we club together and cover eighteen?

Hah. Quick edit. I always seem to hit the “I” button on my iPhone when going for the “o”. Poor eyesight rather than fat fingers.

Iron Lion Zion

Have we lost our first thread of 2021? on 08:58 - Jan 2 with 2028 viewsAce_High1

Why is there no enforcement action?

If all these idiots were fined £10k then they would think twice.

We have all these rules but we enforce none.
Have we lost our first thread of 2021? on 09:12 - Jan 2 with 1980 viewsm14_blue

Nobs

Total waste of oxygen, possibly literally if they catch it.
Have we lost our first thread of 2021? on 09:18 - Jan 2 with 1965 viewsGlasgowBlue

Have we lost our first thread of 2021? on 09:12 - Jan 2 by m14_blue

Nobs

Total waste of oxygen, possibly literally if they catch it.

The fact that they are gathering outside a hospital where people are fighting for their lives, and NHS workers are going above and beyond in an effort to keep people alive, makes them even bigger c*nts than if they were holding their pathetic gathering outside of Parliament.

Iron Lion Zion

Have we lost our first thread of 2021? on 09:22 - Jan 2 with 1953 viewsm14_blue

Have we lost our first thread of 2021? on 09:18 - Jan 2 by GlasgowBlue

The fact that they are gathering outside a hospital where people are fighting for their lives, and NHS workers are going above and beyond in an effort to keep people alive, makes them even bigger c*nts than if they were holding their pathetic gathering outside of Parliament.

Yep, 100x worse, the very dregs of society in that picture.

They have no place here and need that made clear to them.
Have we lost our first thread of 2021? on 09:42 - Jan 2 with 1904 viewsbluewein

Have we lost our first thread of 2021? on 08:58 - Jan 2 by Ace_High1

Said it a few times over the last year, if that crowd were football fans the police horses and riot gear would have been broken out within minutes...
[Post edited 2 Jan 2021 9:45]

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

Have we lost our first thread of 2021? on 09:53 - Jan 2 with 1884 viewslowhouseblue

the psychology of conspiracy nutters is fascinating. how does someone get to the point of demonstrating outside a hospital to accuse people who are dying of faking it? it's shows a remarkable degree of alienation from normal society. is it radicalisation or is it some sort of non-neurotypical thing?

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Login to get fewer ads

Have we lost our first thread of 2021? on 10:04 - Jan 2 with 1840 viewsStokieBlue

Have we lost our first thread of 2021? on 09:53 - Jan 2 by lowhouseblue

the psychology of conspiracy nutters is fascinating. how does someone get to the point of demonstrating outside a hospital to accuse people who are dying of faking it? it's shows a remarkable degree of alienation from normal society. is it radicalisation or is it some sort of non-neurotypical thing?

It's an incredible interesting subject which unfortunately has real-world implications.

Conspiracy theories are awful because they prey on the human minds love of patterns. As long as something can be linked then people can often dismiss all the other information that undermines that linkage. After that is done anything else which comes to light which disproves the conspiracy is actually part of the conspiracy and thus can also easily be dismissed.

It's a self-reinforcing feedback loop which is why it's so hard for many to escape from it's clutches once they are reeled in.

In this particular instance it's even more incredible because as you say, the people are dying inside. It takes some quite incredible mental reasoning to come to the conclusion that people are dying to promote a hoax.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Have we lost our first thread of 2021? on 10:06 - Jan 2 with 1832 viewsBlueBadger

Have we lost our first thread of 2021? on 10:04 - Jan 2 by StokieBlue

It's an incredible interesting subject which unfortunately has real-world implications.

Conspiracy theories are awful because they prey on the human minds love of patterns. As long as something can be linked then people can often dismiss all the other information that undermines that linkage. After that is done anything else which comes to light which disproves the conspiracy is actually part of the conspiracy and thus can also easily be dismissed.

It's a self-reinforcing feedback loop which is why it's so hard for many to escape from it's clutches once they are reeled in.

In this particular instance it's even more incredible because as you say, the people are dying inside. It takes some quite incredible mental reasoning to come to the conclusion that people are dying to promote a hoax.

SB

I don't think it's that complicated tbh, a large number of them are just c*nts.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Have we lost our first thread of 2021? on 10:14 - Jan 2 with 1799 viewslowhouseblue

SB

there's also an element of knowing things that others don't - of having cracked the secret and being one of the knowing few. there is again a self reinforcing element in being someone who possesses the truth and isn't one of the 'sheep'. something that the internet certainly intensifies.

i also think that there is a religious gene which causes some people to crave certainty.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Have we lost our first thread of 2021? on 10:16 - Jan 2 with 1791 viewsBlueBadger

Have we lost our first thread of 2021? on 10:14 - Jan 2 by lowhouseblue

there's also an element of knowing things that others don't - of having cracked the secret and being one of the knowing few. there is again a self reinforcing element in being someone who possesses the truth and isn't one of the 'sheep'. something that the internet certainly intensifies.

i also think that there is a religious gene which causes some people to crave certainty.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Have we lost our first thread of 2021? on 10:17 - Jan 2 with 1786 viewsHerbivore

Have we lost our first thread of 2021? on 10:14 - Jan 2 by lowhouseblue

Watching the flat Earther doc and The Social Dilemma on Netflix is very enlightening when it comes to understanding how people come to these beliefs and how they are so easily reinforced. Depressingly, the former also shows that it's next to impossible to counter belief in conspiracies with hard evidence.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Have we lost our first thread of 2021? on 10:28 - Jan 2 with 1737 viewsSwansea_Blue

Have we lost our first thread of 2021? on 08:58 - Jan 2 by Ace_High1

Possibly too much hassle to go out there and trigger a confrontation innit. If they were students who’s details could be forwarded to the police they’d have letters dropping through their letter boxes soon. Same reason they won’t go after high profile footballers as they’d put up a fight with expensive lawyers.

It’s very hard not to be cynical about such things. I’d also make it so people spreading misinformation online could be charged and fined too. Again, that won’t happen as the government and their client journalists are some of the worse offenders.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Have we lost our first thread of 2021? on 10:39 - Jan 2 with 1697 viewsHarry_Palmer

Have we lost our first thread of 2021? on 10:17 - Jan 2 by Herbivore

Watching the flat Earther doc and The Social Dilemma on Netflix is very enlightening when it comes to understanding how people come to these beliefs and how they are so easily reinforced. Depressingly, the former also shows that it's next to impossible to counter belief in conspiracies with hard evidence.

I have been meaning to watch the social dilemma, have heard it is quite an eye opener. What did you make of it?
Have we lost our first thread of 2021? on 10:44 - Jan 2 with 1675 viewsDubtractor

Have we lost our first thread of 2021? on 10:39 - Jan 2 by Harry_Palmer

I have been meaning to watch the social dilemma, have heard it is quite an eye opener. What did you make of it?

It will tell you nothing you don't already know, if you put any critical thought at all into how social media works, yet it is strangely depressing to see it all laid bare.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Have we lost our first thread of 2021? on 10:45 - Jan 2 with 1671 viewslowhouseblue

Have we lost our first thread of 2021? on 10:28 - Jan 2 by Swansea_Blue

Possibly too much hassle to go out there and trigger a confrontation innit. If they were students who’s details could be forwarded to the police they’d have letters dropping through their letter boxes soon. Same reason they won’t go after high profile footballers as they’d put up a fight with expensive lawyers.

It’s very hard not to be cynical about such things. I’d also make it so people spreading misinformation online could be charged and fined too. Again, that won’t happen as the government and their client journalists are some of the worse offenders.

not sure it's terribly sensible to conflate information from "the government and their client journalists" - which you may well disagree with, or may be proven wrong by events etc etc - with misinformation spread by conspiracy nutters. disagreement and interpreting information in different ways is inherent to politics and all normal healthy debate.

one way in which conspiracy nonsense grows is through a general distrust of institutions - hence the games russia plays. drawing an equivalence between online misinformation and things the government has said that you disagree with rather acts in that same direction.

Have we lost our first thread of 2021? on 10:45 - Jan 2 with 1667 viewsSwansea_Blue

Have we lost our first thread of 2021? on 10:39 - Jan 2 by Harry_Palmer

The mocked up scenes of the lad becoming brainwashed are a bit contrived. But the power of it lies in the testimonies of the people who designed much of the technology. It should be a wake up call. Well worth watching imo.

Have we lost our first thread of 2021? on 10:47 - Jan 2 with 1661 viewsDarth_Koont

SB

Indeed. And not just the conspiracy theorists either.

The pattern recognition tendency (often with only a few dots of information) is a feature not a bug of our normal thinking. It’s the Thinking Fast of Daniel Kahnemann’s Thinking, Fast and Slow – and something we’re over-reliant on as a species when there’s almost always the option for harder thought and Thinking Slow but we avoid it because it’s well, harder.

Pronouns: He/Him

Have we lost our first thread of 2021? on 10:47 - Jan 2 with 1657 viewsBlueBadger

Have we lost our first thread of 2021? on 10:44 - Jan 2 by Dubtractor

It will tell you nothing you don't already know, if you put any critical thought at all into how social media works, yet it is strangely depressing to see it all laid bare.

Disease Enabler Harry being keen watching something on how people happily ignore facts to fall for dangerous and/or stupid conspiracy theories is quite possibly the greatest TWTD self-awareness failure ever.
[Post edited 2 Jan 2021 10:52]

Have we lost our first thread of 2021? on 10:49 - Jan 2 with 1646 viewsHerbivore

Have we lost our first thread of 2021? on 10:44 - Jan 2 by Dubtractor

Yeah, I'd agree with that. Nothing in there was surprising per se, but seeing it presented so starkly and seeing how it is impacting the world we live in was somewhat terrifying.

Have we lost our first thread of 2021? on 10:52 - Jan 2 with 1636 viewsHerbivore

Have we lost our first thread of 2021? on 10:45 - Jan 2 by lowhouseblue

not sure it's terribly sensible to conflate information from "the government and their client journalists" - which you may well disagree with, or may be proven wrong by events etc etc - with misinformation spread by conspiracy nutters. disagreement and interpreting information in different ways is inherent to politics and all normal healthy debate.

one way in which conspiracy nonsense grows is through a general distrust of institutions - hence the games russia plays. drawing an equivalence between online misinformation and things the government has said that you disagree with rather acts in that same direction.

The government is happy to outright lie. That has been demonstrated numerous times. That you still can't see it puts you only half a step above the conspiracy theorists in the intellectual rigour stakes.

Have we lost our first thread of 2021? on 11:00 - Jan 2 with 1613 viewsSwansea_Blue

Have we lost our first thread of 2021? on 10:45 - Jan 2 by lowhouseblue

Both need dealing with. It’ll probably need different approaches, but it all contributes to the distrust of institutions. Indeed this government and the people in it have a track record of attacking UK institutions, from Parliament to the judiciary.

It’s got nothing to do with the false equivalence issue of beliefs. It’s about stamping out lies and misinformation wherever they occur, be it from a lone nutter flat Earther sitting in his pants infront of a computer in his bedroom, right through to the brazen lies told daily by government ministers and their supporting journalists. They’re different things of course, but all part of the same problem.

Have we lost our first thread of 2021? on 11:14 - Jan 2 with 1574 viewsGuthrum

Have we lost our first thread of 2021? on 09:53 - Jan 2 by lowhouseblue

I didn't see the thread, but was already going to post this: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jan/02/english-magna-carta-lockdo

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Have we lost our first thread of 2021? on 11:35 - Jan 2 with 1527 viewsGuthrum

SB

There's also an element of egotistical paranoia. The thinking that your own troubles and frustrations are not down to personal choices or blind economic/social factors, but instead are caused by powerful and wealthy people (if not actually aliens) are getting together and plotting to oppress you. That you are such a threat to Them because of what you say in the pub or on the internet that They will spend their time and money on hunting you down.

That is, in itself, partially a function of people feeling disempowered in an era when they've been fed a lot of lines about freedom and individualism rather than concepts of society working together. Also a time when social polarisation between the "wealthy" and the ordinary is not only widening, but constantly paraded in the media.
[Post edited 2 Jan 2021 13:14]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024