Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wilson. 07:33 - Feb 21 with 2086 viewsirishtim

IMO Our decline started when Wilson got injured. Hope a change happens.
Wilson. on 07:41 - Feb 21 with 2058 viewsblueislander

There were posts before the Northampton game that the back four that played that game would never keep a clean sheet. When I saw the team yesterday , and against free-scoring Oxford, I feared for us..

One area of improvement yesterday was Holy’s kicking. Quite a few of his clearances actually allowed Norwood to make a challenge.
Wilson. on 08:03 - Feb 21 with 1999 viewsArnieM

Tbh that experienced back line yesterday made all the difference. They all played well IMO. Let’s be honest Holy was virtually redundant!

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Wilson. on 10:53 - Feb 21 with 1818 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

There have been a lot who slate Wilson on here regardless of what he actually does on the pitch. I suspect it's because we got him for free from another League 1 team who didn't want him. They can't look past that.

In reality he's rarely put a foot wrong in terms of basic defending. Which is often what you need. He was probably our best player yesterday, but the haters won't see it or admit to being wrong.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Wilson. on 11:00 - Feb 21 with 1798 viewsjayessess

We've been in decline since October 2019 and the writing was on the wall for this season when Doncaster and Lincoln beat us in October, both games Wilson played in.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Wilson. on 11:03 - Feb 21 with 1785 viewsPique

Wilson. on 10:53 - Feb 21 by The_Flashing_Smile

There have been a lot who slate Wilson on here regardless of what he actually does on the pitch. I suspect it's because we got him for free from another League 1 team who didn't want him. They can't look past that.

In reality he's rarely put a foot wrong in terms of basic defending. Which is often what you need. He was probably our best player yesterday, but the haters won't see it or admit to being wrong.

Completely agree with this. Andy Warren is right to say that Wilson has probably been Lambert’s best signing (not that that’s saying much).

You need experienced centre backs to get out of this division - playing McGuinness and Woolfenden together for so long was suicidal.
Wilson. on 11:15 - Feb 21 with 1744 viewsBluedanW

1 good performance by himself will not show anything. It certainly doesn't give him the right to slate the fans.
He obviously should of spent his weeks in lockdown getting back from injury on some mathematics lessons. Spouting we have 2 games in hand. Totally lost respect for the man. Thats my main issue at the moment, the players coming out in support of lambert. These players need to realise when Lambert is gone and hopefully one day Evans too us fans will be the only true consistent here. All they are doing currently is driving a wedge between the fans and pretty much everybody at the club
Wilson. on 11:20 - Feb 21 with 1725 viewsnoggin

Wilson. on 11:00 - Feb 21 by jayessess

We've been in decline since October 2019 and the writing was on the wall for this season when Doncaster and Lincoln beat us in October, both games Wilson played in.

The club has been in decline since administration. We all believed Evans would save us but he hasn't.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Wilson. on 13:49 - Feb 21 with 1634 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Wilson. on 11:15 - Feb 21 by BluedanW

1 good performance by himself will not show anything. It certainly doesn't give him the right to slate the fans.
He obviously should of spent his weeks in lockdown getting back from injury on some mathematics lessons. Spouting we have 2 games in hand. Totally lost respect for the man. Thats my main issue at the moment, the players coming out in support of lambert. These players need to realise when Lambert is gone and hopefully one day Evans too us fans will be the only true consistent here. All they are doing currently is driving a wedge between the fans and pretty much everybody at the club

"It certainly doesn't give him the right to slate the fans."

Where has Wilson slated the fans?!

Login to get fewer ads

Wilson. on 14:02 - Feb 21 with 1604 viewsChrisd

I love how we are now saying that a defender who Lincoln City let go and was signed predominantly as a back up is now deemed as our best CB at the club. That speaks volumes about why we find ourselves where we are. Defensively we have been fine, but credit to both Wilson and Nsiala yesterday whom both had solid games against a side in form. However, I would ask would either of them be regular starters for any of the current top 6? I think not.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Wilson. on 14:03 - Feb 21 with 1601 viewsMrTown

Wilson. on 13:49 - Feb 21 by The_Flashing_Smile

"It certainly doesn't give him the right to slate the fans."

Where has Wilson slated the fans?!

I wouldn’t class it as slating the fans. But presume that poster refers to this.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Wilson. on 14:05 - Feb 21 with 1595 viewsMrTown

Our best defender. Not pretty, but as I have said time and time again, this isn’t a pretty league.

I thought Toto did well yesterday, and don’t think he went to ground once - possibly would favour Chambers / Wilson as pair, think that would be a decent base.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Wilson. on 14:07 - Feb 21 with 1590 viewsKeaneish

Wilson. on 10:53 - Feb 21 by The_Flashing_Smile

No, it’s because he’s makes countless mistakes and does have the breadth of skill or ability comparative to others in the squad. Why do football fans look anecdotally at a single match or a couple of matches on isolation to base their theories on? Look back at Wilson’s time here as a whole - he’s been very average and this is league one. Granted him and Nsiala have been much improved on last season but that’s because they were terrible.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Wilson. on 14:13 - Feb 21 with 1568 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Wilson. on 14:07 - Feb 21 by Keaneish

No, it’s because he’s makes countless mistakes and does have the breadth of skill or ability comparative to others in the squad. Why do football fans look anecdotally at a single match or a couple of matches on isolation to base their theories on? Look back at Wilson’s time here as a whole - he’s been very average and this is league one. Granted him and Nsiala have been much improved on last season but that’s because they were terrible.

No, I'm basing my view on his entire time here. I'd like you to point out some of these "countless mistakes" because I haven't seen them.

As for League 1, he's only played 9 games and I don't remember any glaring errors in those.

Show your workings or I'm going to assume you're one of the fans I'm talking about.

Wilson. on 14:17 - Feb 21 with 1553 viewsParisBlue

I liked Jockey and was gutted when he left for Chelsea but I don't think we can blame everything on something that happened 34 years ago.

Unless you were referring to Ulrich?

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Wilson. on 14:20 - Feb 21 with 1541 viewsitfcjoe

Wilson is a very average and basic defender - but realistically that's all you need at this level.

We've persisted with Woolfie and McGuinness as a pairing but they've needed a senior bod alongside them to do the basics.

Wilson can do it, as can Chambers comfortably. We should have signed a RB in September rather than McGuinness and played Chambers centrally alongside Woolfie.

It was obvious at the time, even more so when a player of James Wilson's quality, and I don't mean this as a dig, clearly improves us

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Wilson. on 14:30 - Feb 21 with 1503 viewsKeaneish

Wilson. on 14:13 - Feb 21 by The_Flashing_Smile

No, I'm basing my view on his entire time here. I'd like you to point out some of these "countless mistakes" because I haven't seen them.

As for League 1, he's only played 9 games and I don't remember any glaring errors in those.

Show your workings or I'm going to assume you're one of the fans I'm talking about.

We lost at 4-1 at home to Peterborough last season, he was at fault for three of those goals. Here’s a short clip where he makes four or five mistakes.

Here’s another against Lincoln where he comes on as sub and gets caught not being strong enough and being sucked in too tight as per the same problems in the Posh game.

Wilson. on 15:06 - Feb 21 with 1440 viewschrismakin

Wilson. on 08:03 - Feb 21 by ArnieM

Tbh that experienced back line yesterday made all the difference. They all played well IMO. Let’s be honest Holy was virtually redundant!

They played well as they were allowed to be defenders in league 1.

No pising about with the ball. No panicking when facing iwn goal on turning and keeping the ball just clear it keep it simple.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Wilson. on 15:08 - Feb 21 with 1438 viewsjas0999

Interesting to see how Wilson will cope against Hull and Doncaster. He’s struggled against the better sides in the past - but agree he played very well yesterday.

For me though he is a solid league one player. Suits us really.
Wilson. on 15:18 - Feb 21 with 1412 viewsDubtractor

I disagree. Wilson is a serviceable defender at this level, but for me our problems started when the goals dried up, i.e. when Edwards and Bishop were crocked. And even then we were never really convincing in games aside from the first few.

People keep focussing on the apparently iffy defence, but our defensive record is one of the best in the division, whereas our goals scored is one of the worst.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Wilson. on 15:53 - Feb 21 with 1356 viewsDarth_Koont

Quite possibly.

We’re still shapeless and largely clueless going forward but Nsiala and Wilson gave us more no-nonsense solidity at the back. They helped us make much more of a game of it and probably forced Oxford to commit more players forward to try and break us down.

And rather than having Woolfenden and McGuiness’s ball-playing skills trying to get things going it made a nice change to see us hit it earlier and more direct. Not saying that’s how we want to be playing all the time but in the continued absence of shape, control and fluidity moving the ball then let’s just get the ball to the forwards when they’ve got the chance to pressure a retreating defence.

Pronouns: He/Him

Ulrich or Kevin? (n/t) on 16:15 - Feb 21 with 1316 viewsTrequartista

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Wilson. on 16:21 - Feb 21 with 1307 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Wilson. on 14:30 - Feb 21 by Keaneish

We lost at 4-1 at home to Peterborough last season, he was at fault for three of those goals. Here’s a short clip where he makes four or five mistakes.

Here’s another against Lincoln where he comes on as sub and gets caught not being strong enough and being sucked in too tight as per the same problems in the Posh game.

That's just ridiculous. I counted one goal out of both those clips where he was caught out poorly. For most of those goals there are several players at fault. To blame them on Wilson is just scapegoating. And when a good striker beats a defender to score, it doesn't necessarily mean a glaring error - sometimes it's just very good work by the striker.

I maintain he makes very few glaring errors. He certainly doesn't make "countless mistakes" as you said.

Wilson. on 16:50 - Feb 21 with 1281 viewsKeaneish

Wilson. on 16:21 - Feb 21 by The_Flashing_Smile

That's just ridiculous. I counted one goal out of both those clips where he was caught out poorly. For most of those goals there are several players at fault. To blame them on Wilson is just scapegoating. And when a good striker beats a defender to score, it doesn't necessarily mean a glaring error - sometimes it's just very good work by the striker.

I maintain he makes very few glaring errors. He certainly doesn't make "countless mistakes" as you said.

If that’s you’re opinion after watching those clips then i have to respectfully say, your opinion is either very biased or you’re not looking at his positioning and decision making properly. I could provide you a number of links that show the same thing from last season; less so this season but either way, he’s very limited and has been very costly.

I think most would agree, he’s still a 4th or 5th choice centre back.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024