Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
End of the "traditional family club"?! 16:10 - Feb 26 with 2459 viewsWallingford_Boy

If, and its seem more of when than if, this takeover goes through, is that it for little old Ipswich? The quaint family club, tradition, the underdog, etc. Or did that die a long time ago?

Not saying its a bad thing, football has changed so much since the days of the Cobbolds and we probably have to go down this route to be able to compete.

Can't but help think the club I fell in love with all those years ago has gone forever....

RIP Sir Bobby

End of the "traditional family club"?! on 16:11 - Feb 26 with 2434 viewsSwailsey

I know where you're coming from, but I think that died the day that ME sacked JM.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

End of the "traditional family club"?! on 16:12 - Feb 26 with 2409 viewshomer_123

End of the "traditional family club"?! on 16:11 - Feb 26 by Swailsey

I know where you're coming from, but I think that died the day that ME sacked JM.

change 'day' to 'way' and you'll have nailed it.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

End of the "traditional family club"?! on 16:15 - Feb 26 with 2364 viewshoppy

How recently have you genuinely used any of those words to either describe or even think about ITFC?

I would suggest it's been a long while, to be honest?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

End of the "traditional family club"?! on 16:15 - Feb 26 with 2350 viewsBlueWorldOrder

I wouldn't say we've been a traditional family club since Evans owned us. Just look at the prices we charge our supporters for the games, shirts, the food stalls and so on.

Poll: Should we stop changing kits every season?

End of the "traditional family club"?! on 16:16 - Feb 26 with 2324 viewsJ2BLUE

You've nailed it.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

End of the "traditional family club"?! on 16:18 - Feb 26 with 2302 viewsRadlett_blue

It died the day ME bought the club, but the alternative was bumbling around in the lower reaches of the Championship and we didn't want that fate, did we?
Nearly all the clubs in England's top 2 divisions are owned by people unconnected to the club or the locality, so it was only a matter of time before it happened to Town.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

End of the "traditional family club"?! on 16:19 - Feb 26 with 2290 viewsIllinoisblue

That went as soon as Evans took over

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

End of the "traditional family club"?! on 16:19 - Feb 26 with 2282 viewsSteve_M

End of the "traditional family club"?! on 16:18 - Feb 26 by Radlett_blue

It died the day ME bought the club, but the alternative was bumbling around in the lower reaches of the Championship and we didn't want that fate, did we?
Nearly all the clubs in England's top 2 divisions are owned by people unconnected to the club or the locality, so it was only a matter of time before it happened to Town.

Some would argue it died earlier than that, when we went into administration and didn't pay local businesses.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Login to get fewer ads

End of the "traditional family club"?! on 16:19 - Feb 26 with 2276 viewsRegencyBlue

The club I fell in love with died 13 years ago!

Hopefully it’s about to be resurrected!!
End of the "traditional family club"?! on 16:22 - Feb 26 with 2237 viewshype313

More and more clubs will go the same way, there's just too much money in football for the traditional local guy own the hometown club.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

End of the "traditional family club"?! on 16:24 - Feb 26 with 2216 viewsWallingford_Boy

End of the "traditional family club"?! on 16:15 - Feb 26 by hoppy

How recently have you genuinely used any of those words to either describe or even think about ITFC?

I would suggest it's been a long while, to be honest?

Yeah I guess so. Just with Evans, it was an individual, not exactly a fan, but just seemed different.

Now we are just one of a number of clubs this US group own, in it for a profit solely (not saying Evans wasn't pretty much all about that too).

We still have loads of "quaint" parts of the club, just hoping everything isn't completely ripped to pieces.

I like the silly old practice pitch/old training ground next to the stadium, but whats the point of it really? Players don't use it anymore in any capacity. Little things like that.

But yeah I guess its time to completely move on.... new era and all that.

RIP Sir Bobby

End of the "traditional family club"?! on 16:25 - Feb 26 with 2189 viewschrismakin

Unfortunately it's now time for town to move on into the modern football game.

Its sht or bust time.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

End of the "traditional family club"?! on 16:27 - Feb 26 with 2157 viewsChrisabian

End of the "traditional family club"?! on 16:25 - Feb 26 by chrismakin

Unfortunately it's now time for town to move on into the modern football game.

Its sht or bust time.

This. Modern football will quickly leave you behind if you don't adapt to it.
End of the "traditional family club"?! on 16:28 - Feb 26 with 2139 viewsChurchman

It died the day Sheepshanks messed up and screwed all the local businesses. The chance of returning to that ended when Evans slithered through the door.
End of the "traditional family club"?! on 16:36 - Feb 26 with 2090 viewspatrickswell

If it's any consolation, should the takeover happen, they'll be coming in at more or the less where we were when we turned professional - the third tier.

If it happens and goes successfully - and Lord knows we've written the book on how a takeover can go badly - maybe it'll feel comparable to what happened in the 50s. From the Third Division champions to Champions of England in 5 seasons - it took Leicester 7 years to do that.

For now, I'd settle for:
-Not screwing up
-Implementing a structure so people know where responsibility and decision making lies.
-Promotion back to the Championship within 2 seasons.
End of the "traditional family club"?! on 16:39 - Feb 26 with 2048 viewslowhouseblue

from family club to an entry in a private equity manager's ledger.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

End of the "traditional family club"?! on 16:41 - Feb 26 with 2030 viewsSwansea_Blue

End of the "traditional family club"?! on 16:28 - Feb 26 by Churchman

It died the day Sheepshanks messed up and screwed all the local businesses. The chance of returning to that ended when Evans slithered through the door.

I don't think he did it on purpose. There was a genuine wish to get us competing on both the domestic and European fronts, which coincided with limited resources, the little known reputation of the club and some naivety. I'm convinced it was all with the best intentions with no wish to lead us into administration (not that it helps the affected businesses of course).

If ME didn't have the funds to continually cover the annual losses we'd have been in the same situation many times over since 2007.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

End of the "traditional family club"?! on 16:46 - Feb 26 with 1979 viewsBlueLikeJazz

End of the "traditional family club"?! on 16:41 - Feb 26 by Swansea_Blue

I don't think he did it on purpose. There was a genuine wish to get us competing on both the domestic and European fronts, which coincided with limited resources, the little known reputation of the club and some naivety. I'm convinced it was all with the best intentions with no wish to lead us into administration (not that it helps the affected businesses of course).

If ME didn't have the funds to continually cover the annual losses we'd have been in the same situation many times over since 2007.

Of course he didn't do it 'on purpose', but as you acknowledge, that means little to the businesses who got shafted. 'Meaning well' isn't enough, and never has been.
[Post edited 26 Feb 2021 16:47]
End of the "traditional family club"?! on 16:53 - Feb 26 with 1944 viewsSwansea_Blue

End of the "traditional family club"?! on 16:46 - Feb 26 by BlueLikeJazz

Of course he didn't do it 'on purpose', but as you acknowledge, that means little to the businesses who got shafted. 'Meaning well' isn't enough, and never has been.
[Post edited 26 Feb 2021 16:47]

I don't know. Years of successful oversight and then one season where it ran away from us. It's never nice when an organisation goes bust, but I don't think we did a lot wrong in how we approached that season. We had to strengthen and we had limited pulling power.

Maybe we could have done more due diligence on whether players would have fit into the squad, as the team spirit seems to have been the biggest issue from what I've read. We were unlucky with some injuries and had no depth of squad to cope. It was too much too soon for us and caught us out. We were still better run than we have been since.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

End of the "traditional family club"?! on 17:37 - Feb 26 with 1851 viewsBlueLikeJazz

End of the "traditional family club"?! on 16:53 - Feb 26 by Swansea_Blue

I don't know. Years of successful oversight and then one season where it ran away from us. It's never nice when an organisation goes bust, but I don't think we did a lot wrong in how we approached that season. We had to strengthen and we had limited pulling power.

Maybe we could have done more due diligence on whether players would have fit into the squad, as the team spirit seems to have been the biggest issue from what I've read. We were unlucky with some injuries and had no depth of squad to cope. It was too much too soon for us and caught us out. We were still better run than we have been since.

It's a bit weird talking about the season 'running away from us' like it was all just some force of nature that we couldn't control....I certainly don't agree that we 'didn't do a lot wrong'. The seeds of the mess we're in now were sown that season.
End of the "traditional family club"?! on 18:01 - Feb 26 with 1771 viewsBluedandy

Our love is for Ipswich Town ... it's maddening and profoundly irrational but also everlasting ... that will never change no matter who the custodians might be.

The club is bigger than any transient 'owner' ... ultimately the soul of any club is owned by the fans and always will be.

We all want one thing though ... Ipswich Town ... the club we adore ... back in the top end of the top flight.

Marcus Evans has been taking us in the wrong direction for years and it's time to move on.
End of the "traditional family club"?! on 18:26 - Feb 26 with 1655 viewsistanblue

I sympathise with your view. However, ''family club Ipswich'' died the day Evans came through the door. Out went people who genuinely loved and cared about the club (Magilton, Sheepshanks, various longstanding ITFC board members etc.), and in came people who couldn't give a damn about the history and culture of the club and saw ITFC as a money-making/publicity scheme (Evans, Clegg, Keane etc.). This US-consortium is the same but hopefully the difference will be that they know how to actually run a football club and are willing to invest.
End of the "traditional family club"?! on 18:30 - Feb 26 with 1628 viewsnoggin

End of the "traditional family club"?! on 18:26 - Feb 26 by istanblue

I sympathise with your view. However, ''family club Ipswich'' died the day Evans came through the door. Out went people who genuinely loved and cared about the club (Magilton, Sheepshanks, various longstanding ITFC board members etc.), and in came people who couldn't give a damn about the history and culture of the club and saw ITFC as a money-making/publicity scheme (Evans, Clegg, Keane etc.). This US-consortium is the same but hopefully the difference will be that they know how to actually run a football club and are willing to invest.

Surely 'family club' went out the window when we fecked over local businesses with admin.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024