Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Luke Chambers 14:07 - Apr 4 with 4350 viewsIPSWICHFANITFC

I don’t understand the criticism he receives or why so many hope he leaves at the end of the season. Why are people desperate to get rid of him? I’d like someone to change my opinion on why he needs to go?

He’s 35 and plays every game for 90mins. Barely picks up an injury and plays through any knocks or rare injury too. Our most reliable defender too.

He will know there’s no long term deal for him anywhere, but we’d be silly to let him go. He’s one of the first I’d tie down for next season.

1 year deal with an automatic extension triggered based on hitting x amount of appearances - which he would easily do too.

Poll: If selling Jackson meant getting in a wide man, would you be happy with Garbutt?

Luke Chambers on 14:11 - Apr 4 with 2285 viewsJ2BLUE

Guilt by association with the dire nine years we've just had.

Can't say i'd be gutted to see him leave but I wouldn't mind him staying as a back up.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Luke Chambers on 14:49 - Apr 4 with 2244 viewsboroughblue

Completely agree mate, the scapegoating of him absolutely infuriates me, just the go to after every game to blame him.

I think a year with the option of a further year is the right move, his influence and importance in the squad is hugely underestimated by so many.

Ideal squad player at the very least next season if we're still in league 1
Luke Chambers on 15:00 - Apr 4 with 2229 viewsjayessess

I think it comes down to ruthlessness, really. Chambers has been reliable, but as a senior professional he is de facto going to take up a first team wage. That's a spot that could go to a new signing who might be better, might develop, might potentially have re-sale value.

The clubs at the top of this division have very few over 30. Hull have 1 (Magennis, 30), Posh have 1 (Beevers, 31). Sunderland have 3, but McGeady, Maguire and Leadbitter all peaked much higher than Chambers and are elite players at this level, rather than just reliable.

I think he'll get an extension and I've no major problem with that. But, I do think it says something about the club and it's fairly regressive attitude to things that we're happy to continue putting our valuable resources towards players who have no medium-term future at the club, even when they're no more than "reliable" now.
[Post edited 4 Apr 2021 15:03]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Luke Chambers on 15:02 - Apr 4 with 2220 viewsOsborneOneNil

Luke Chambers on 14:49 - Apr 4 by boroughblue

Completely agree mate, the scapegoating of him absolutely infuriates me, just the go to after every game to blame him.

I think a year with the option of a further year is the right move, his influence and importance in the squad is hugely underestimated by so many.

At the absolute most he’d be a useful squad player. Other than that, he can go. Not good enough now.
Luke Chambers on 15:11 - Apr 4 with 2199 viewsjayessess

Luke Chambers on 14:49 - Apr 4 by boroughblue

No blame for Chambo here, but I genuinely find it astonishing that you'd anticipate anyone lining up for Ipswich aged 37, unless they were outrageously talented. We're a football club, not a retirement home.
[Post edited 4 Apr 2021 15:11]

Luke Chambers on 15:28 - Apr 4 with 2171 viewsitfcjoe

Luke Chambers on 15:11 - Apr 4 by jayessess

No blame for Chambo here, but I genuinely find it astonishing that you'd anticipate anyone lining up for Ipswich aged 37, unless they were outrageously talented. We're a football club, not a retirement home.
[Post edited 4 Apr 2021 15:11]

Age is only a number, if he can stay fit as he has done then he will be a useful option as a back up and influence around the place.

If I had to make a choice out of the 3 CBs whose deals are up in the summer - Wilson, Nsiala and Chambers - I'd be keeping LC out of them. I don't think Wilson or Nsiala will lead us to promotion, and at the age they are at should be =nailed on first choices. Woolfie needs a player in that range (26-29) to start alongside him.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Luke Chambers on 15:43 - Apr 4 with 2139 viewsGeorge03

Totally Agree mate. The reason chambers is playing each week is because no one has consistently performed well to take his shirt off him.
He is an asset worth keeping as he brilliant in doing the off the field duties of a captain and well respected by other players.
Unless we are going to recruit a better leader externally that can take over Luke’s duties then I can’t see why anyone would want him gone as I can’t see anyone internal who will do a better job.
Luke Chambers on 15:47 - Apr 4 with 2127 viewsjayessess

Luke Chambers on 15:28 - Apr 4 by itfcjoe

Age is only a number, if he can stay fit as he has done then he will be a useful option as a back up and influence around the place.

If I had to make a choice out of the 3 CBs whose deals are up in the summer - Wilson, Nsiala and Chambers - I'd be keeping LC out of them. I don't think Wilson or Nsiala will lead us to promotion, and at the age they are at should be =nailed on first choices. Woolfie needs a player in that range (26-29) to start alongside him.

It's not only a number, is it? It's a fairly reasonable assumption that players in the second half of their 30s are likely to start declining physically. He's already borderline too slow for League 1, both of his last 2 direct opponents had him quite easily for pace.

For me, our 3 senior CBs are much of a muchness in terms of quality. Doesn't a less sentimental club just keep the cheapest one with the fewest miles on the clock?

Login to get fewer ads

Luke Chambers on 15:50 - Apr 4 with 2118 viewsitfcjoe

Luke Chambers on 15:47 - Apr 4 by jayessess

It's not only a number, is it? It's a fairly reasonable assumption that players in the second half of their 30s are likely to start declining physically. He's already borderline too slow for League 1, both of his last 2 direct opponents had him quite easily for pace.

For me, our 3 senior CBs are much of a muchness in terms of quality. Doesn't a less sentimental club just keep the cheapest one with the fewest miles on the clock?

All clubs are sentimental to an extent - and I don't disagree - but if we are talking purely as a backup here, having someone with 800 career games under his belt, who has managed his body to play well week in, week out and by everyones account is a good guy around the place (Cook is speaking glowingly of him already) then it's a no brainer for me.

If we are talking as any of those 3 options as starters net season then we aren't in a great place - they are players LC has beaten out time and time again despite being 5 years their senior.

Luke Chambers on 15:56 - Apr 4 with 2097 viewsBiGDonnie

I hope he stays and signs a new contract.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Luke Chambers on 16:01 - Apr 4 with 2080 viewsjayessess

Luke Chambers on 15:50 - Apr 4 by itfcjoe

All clubs are sentimental to an extent - and I don't disagree - but if we are talking purely as a backup here, having someone with 800 career games under his belt, who has managed his body to play well week in, week out and by everyones account is a good guy around the place (Cook is speaking glowingly of him already) then it's a no brainer for me.

If we are talking as any of those 3 options as starters net season then we aren't in a great place - they are players LC has beaten out time and time again despite being 5 years their senior.

Toto's supposed to be a good guy around the place too, isn't he?

Tbh, I don't think it's a massive decision. Keep one of the three, don't think it matters too much which. The big one is finding that one very high-quality peak age centre half to lead the defence.

An option that anticipates keeping him on the books for 2022-23 would be... strange.

Luke Chambers on 16:08 - Apr 4 with 2055 viewsBluefish

They ate called numbskulls, they are generally as thick as lig sh*t, voted brexit and get very drunk on weak lager while wearing terrible clothing and love calling people snowflakes. They were made to look so completely ridiculous over Mick McCarthy that all they have left is to attack Chambo. You have to feel sorry for them really

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Luke Chambers on 16:19 - Apr 4 with 2035 viewsGlasgowBlue

He's past his best and his legs have gone. As simple as that.

Kevin Beattie and Allan Hunter were at the top of their game when we won the FA Cup in 1978. Within 18 months Bobby Robson replaced them with the Butcher/Osman partnership.

Mogga came to an end. So did DeVos. There is no shame in getting old.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

[Redacted] on 16:25 - Apr 4 with 2006 viewsvictorywilhappen

Luke Chambers on 16:19 - Apr 4 by GlasgowBlue

Kevin Beattie and Allan Hunter were at the top of their game when we won the FA Cup in 1978. Within 18 months Bobby Robson replaced them with the Butcher/Osman partnership.

[Redacted]
Luke Chambers on 16:27 - Apr 4 with 2001 viewsitfcjoe

Luke Chambers on 16:19 - Apr 4 by GlasgowBlue

I guess the difference is no one has replaced him yet - I'm sure ITFC fans would be delighted to have seen a regular back 4 that were solid, but just not the case yet - Nsiala coming into a bit of form, but he has been a failed recruitment story, McGuinness was never needed, Ndaba not been given his chance and sent up your way....

That he is still playing is a failing of recruitment and those brought into replace him - Nsiala and Donacien were £750k signings and haven't beaten him out......hopefully that side of things improve after Hurst's disastrous window and Lambert just getting too many bodies in

Luke Chambers on 16:27 - Apr 4 with 1993 viewsKropotkin123

Luke Chambers on 15:00 - Apr 4 by jayessess

I think it comes down to ruthlessness, really. Chambers has been reliable, but as a senior professional he is de facto going to take up a first team wage. That's a spot that could go to a new signing who might be better, might develop, might potentially have re-sale value.

The clubs at the top of this division have very few over 30. Hull have 1 (Magennis, 30), Posh have 1 (Beevers, 31). Sunderland have 3, but McGeady, Maguire and Leadbitter all peaked much higher than Chambers and are elite players at this level, rather than just reliable.

I think he'll get an extension and I've no major problem with that. But, I do think it says something about the club and it's fairly regressive attitude to things that we're happy to continue putting our valuable resources towards players who have no medium-term future at the club, even when they're no more than "reliable" now.
[Post edited 4 Apr 2021 15:03]

Yeah, I see it a similar way. Whether he stays depends on how much he is on. He has been one of our better players this season. Ideally he would make a good squad player, if he is prepared to take up that role and we find consistently better players.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Luke Chambers on 16:31 - Apr 4 with 1988 viewsIllinoisblue

The obsession with Chambers is weird when our main problems - fundamental problems - are creating chances and scoring goals.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Luke Chambers on 16:40 - Apr 4 with 1945 viewsChurchman

I think a lot depends on what his influence is around the club. If it’s positive and, for example, he’s after a coaching career when he finishes, fine. I’d be in favour of a contract for a maybe a year with the understanding that he’ll be moving into more of a coaching role?

In his favour, he clearly loves the club and cares about it. That was obvious during MMs time. Interesting times.
[Post edited 4 Apr 2021 16:41]
Luke Chambers on 16:52 - Apr 4 with 1909 viewsitfcjoe

Luke Chambers on 16:31 - Apr 4 by Illinoisblue

The obsession with Chambers is weird when our main problems - fundamental problems - are creating chances and scoring goals.

Yep, there's always so much bracketing him and Skuse together as well forgetting they are 2 separate players.

They may both be 35, and both be linked to each other - but ultimately Chambers has played 3180 minutes in the league this season, whereas Skuse has played 107.

Defensively we have been in the top 6 for most metrics for the last 2 seasons and he has been a mainstay of that - for someone who is finished you'd expect him to be struggling more than he is.

Luke Chambers on 17:14 - Apr 4 with 1836 viewsKieran_Knows

Luke Chambers on 15:28 - Apr 4 by itfcjoe

I genuinely worry if this club is honestly thinking of keeping Nsiala and Wilson on for next season. Should be shipped out at the first opportunity. As you say, it’s Chambers over those 2 as squad options every day of the week.

My guess is we’ll sign Che Dunkley from Shef Wed (Cook had him at Wigan).

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Luke Chambers on 17:18 - Apr 4 with 1822 viewsParky

Luke Chambers on 16:31 - Apr 4 by Illinoisblue

FWIW, I’d keep Chambers as a squad player and then ease him into a role in helping the youngsters.

That said, I fully understand why many people want to move him on, unfortunately he’s been a major part in our decline; he’s been part of the poor mentality our squad have.
Luke Chambers on 17:21 - Apr 4 with 1819 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I think Chambers is unfairly criticised a lot and I think he has been a decent servant for the football club. As you say, his professionalism and constant availability have been an asset.

That said, I think we need someone else in as a leader on the pitch who has the potential to be a leader for us at Championship level. Even if Chambers stays next season, he is not going to be what we need the following season. We need to be building a squad for the future. We will need some experience still and maybe Chambers could be a part of that but he should not be the on-field captain in my opinion.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Luke Chambers on 17:22 - Apr 4 with 1814 viewspistonbroke

Defence is the least of our problems , midfield is garbage get rid of bishop , dozzell , Edwards , huws , Nolan is missed can see him playing every game under cook along with say that Evans bloke from Wigan , 2 new wide players we will be fine
Luke Chambers on 17:35 - Apr 4 with 1783 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Luke Chambers on 17:22 - Apr 4 by pistonbroke

Defence is the least of our problems , midfield is garbage get rid of bishop , dozzell , Edwards , huws , Nolan is missed can see him playing every game under cook along with say that Evans bloke from Wigan , 2 new wide players we will be fine

I agree defence is not our issue. However, I also think we need to building it for the future which involves less reliance on Chambers. I also think we need a leadership figure for the future. Whether Evans (or even Downes) can provide that or we need to sign someone else to I am not sure.

I disagree with Bishop or Dozzell going. They need to be played in the right position with the right players around them. If someone comes in with good money for them fair enough but otherwise they have enough potential for me. Edwards is too inconsistent and Huws is not fit enough to persevere with. I can see both doing well elsewhere but they have no future here in my opinion.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Luke Chambers on 17:43 - Apr 4 with 1754 viewsGarv

Based on his quality and contribution in a football sense, on the whole I think most agree he is worth keeping around.

The argument for letting him go is doing a complete reset of the culture at the club. You could potentially argue, like in Mick's case, it's reached a natural end. Although you'd need to have a replacement captain coming through the door to allow him to leave I'd say.

On balance I'd keep him. Apart from anything else it'd be nice to say we've had a player represent us for 10 years in the modern era, and to give him a testimonial if he wants it.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024