Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Luke Chambers 14:07 - Apr 4 with 4411 viewsIPSWICHFANITFC

I don’t understand the criticism he receives or why so many hope he leaves at the end of the season. Why are people desperate to get rid of him? I’d like someone to change my opinion on why he needs to go?

He’s 35 and plays every game for 90mins. Barely picks up an injury and plays through any knocks or rare injury too. Our most reliable defender too.

He will know there’s no long term deal for him anywhere, but we’d be silly to let him go. He’s one of the first I’d tie down for next season.

1 year deal with an automatic extension triggered based on hitting x amount of appearances - which he would easily do too.

Poll: If selling Jackson meant getting in a wide man, would you be happy with Garbutt?

Luke Chambers on 18:59 - Apr 4 with 1823 viewsVic

Luke Chambers on 16:19 - Apr 4 by GlasgowBlue

He's past his best and his legs have gone. As simple as that.

Kevin Beattie and Allan Hunter were at the top of their game when we won the FA Cup in 1978. Within 18 months Bobby Robson replaced them with the Butcher/Osman partnership.

Mogga came to an end. So did DeVos. There is no shame in getting old.

kVY will replace him, but he’s not fit yet. He is our 2nd best RB so why get ride when he can still do an adequate back up job when needed. By all accounts he is more than just a player on the pitch; his role off the pitch as club captain is hugely significant. Someone would need to fill that role if he goes and none of the present squad is up to it - yet.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Luke Chambers on 19:04 - Apr 4 with 1814 viewsjayessess

Luke Chambers on 18:59 - Apr 4 by Vic

kVY will replace him, but he’s not fit yet. He is our 2nd best RB so why get ride when he can still do an adequate back up job when needed. By all accounts he is more than just a player on the pitch; his role off the pitch as club captain is hugely significant. Someone would need to fill that role if he goes and none of the present squad is up to it - yet.

Arguably difficult to step up into that role whilst he's still here.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Luke Chambers on 19:07 - Apr 4 with 1811 viewsPinewoodblue

Luke Chambers on 18:59 - Apr 4 by Vic

Wasn't Tony Mowbray back in 99/00 season supposed to be remaining as club captain but not expected to be regularly playing. Fought his way back into the side and went on to score at Wembley.

With regards to Luke Chambers I think he has a better chance of another contract, on reduced salary, if we fail to gain promotion this year. He could actually lead the side out at Wembley with his contract almost up.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Luke Chambers on 19:10 - Apr 4 with 1810 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Luke Chambers on 19:07 - Apr 4 by Pinewoodblue

Wasn't Tony Mowbray back in 99/00 season supposed to be remaining as club captain but not expected to be regularly playing. Fought his way back into the side and went on to score at Wembley.

With regards to Luke Chambers I think he has a better chance of another contract, on reduced salary, if we fail to gain promotion this year. He could actually lead the side out at Wembley with his contract almost up.

Lead the side out at Wembley? We won't be getting to Wembley even if we do make the play offs. Beat a top five side over two legs? I don't see it given the huff and puff we've gone through against mid and lower end teams.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Luke Chambers on 19:11 - Apr 4 with 1807 viewsitfcjoe

Luke Chambers on 19:07 - Apr 4 by Pinewoodblue

Mowbray retired and subsequently came out of it when we were struggling defensively and Matt Holland was both club and team captain
[Post edited 4 Apr 2021 19:12]

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Luke Chambers on 19:18 - Apr 4 with 1793 viewsCheltenham_Blue

He's been a great servant to the club, but maybe when we are frustrated with current performances, we all look to our leader to lead them on the pitch, and many are finding that lacking right now.

I think the thing with Chambers is as a captain he doesn't really perform that role very well now especially off the pitch when talking to the media or to fans via iFollow, which leaves him open to more generalised criticism.

For example, from the interview that appeared today, "we’ve had two years of mediocrity at the football club so what can you say? You have to try and take your opportunities when they come and I think the lads tried to do that against Bristol Rovers"

The lads tried to take their opportunities against [Bristol] Rovers? Did they? Can anyone name me a single player Friday that has nailed their place in the starting line up? I know that some will say that he's hardly going to criticise the team, and that's completely right. But to come up with a complete untruth as opposed to not referring to it at all? This was an interview for iFollow, he could have said anything.

At the same time, why the club chose to include that kind of quote just tells you where we are as a club right now.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Luke Chambers on 19:32 - Apr 4 with 1775 viewsPinewoodblue

Luke Chambers on 19:18 - Apr 4 by Cheltenham_Blue

He's been a great servant to the club, but maybe when we are frustrated with current performances, we all look to our leader to lead them on the pitch, and many are finding that lacking right now.

I think the thing with Chambers is as a captain he doesn't really perform that role very well now especially off the pitch when talking to the media or to fans via iFollow, which leaves him open to more generalised criticism.

For example, from the interview that appeared today, "we’ve had two years of mediocrity at the football club so what can you say? You have to try and take your opportunities when they come and I think the lads tried to do that against Bristol Rovers"

The lads tried to take their opportunities against [Bristol] Rovers? Did they? Can anyone name me a single player Friday that has nailed their place in the starting line up? I know that some will say that he's hardly going to criticise the team, and that's completely right. But to come up with a complete untruth as opposed to not referring to it at all? This was an interview for iFollow, he could have said anything.

At the same time, why the club chose to include that kind of quote just tells you where we are as a club right now.

Not enough players own the problem. Look how often we get players saying what 'we' need to do. About the only player in recent weeks who has commented on what they personally need to do ( Andre saying he needs to score more goals)

It should be what each player feels they need to do, not keep hiding behind 'we'.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Luke Chambers on 20:57 - Apr 4 with 1747 viewsLeoMuff

Luke Chambers on 17:14 - Apr 4 by Kieran_Knows

I genuinely worry if this club is honestly thinking of keeping Nsiala and Wilson on for next season. Should be shipped out at the first opportunity. As you say, it’s Chambers over those 2 as squad options every day of the week.

My guess is we’ll sign Che Dunkley from Shef Wed (Cook had him at Wigan).

They are top end league 1 defenders, and we are in the top 5 goals conceded, we can’t change everyone at the club, but we need to start with midfield and up front as others have said.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Login to get fewer ads

Luke Chambers on 22:27 - Apr 4 with 1724 viewsbraveblue

Very influential during years of constant decline. Now at end of career and no pace. Should leave gracefully.
Luke Chambers on 22:32 - Apr 4 with 1717 viewsLowie

Luke Chambers on 22:27 - Apr 4 by braveblue

Very influential during years of constant decline. Now at end of career and no pace. Should leave gracefully.

We need a break with the past few years. Pure and simple. He's getting on and would realistically be a back-up RB and CB next year. I am uncomfortable with him acting as a 'block' to a younger player (Ndaba, or even Wolfenden TBH)

He has been a good servant to the club, but we need to be brave and let him go...he isn't our future.

He shouldn't (but probably will) be offered a new contract. The same goes for Skuse.
[Post edited 4 Apr 2021 22:34]
Luke Chambers on 22:50 - Apr 4 with 1708 viewsBlueBadger

Luke Chambers on 22:27 - Apr 4 by braveblue

You must have a very high opinion of Chambers if you think that he's been setting the entire strategic direction of the club, running coaching, transfer and youth policy, setting tactics, etc, etc if you think it's HIS fault that we've ended up in third division.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Luke Chambers on 07:48 - Apr 5 with 1655 viewsIPSWICHFANITFC

Luke Chambers on 16:19 - Apr 4 by GlasgowBlue

He's past his best and his legs have gone. As simple as that.

Kevin Beattie and Allan Hunter were at the top of their game when we won the FA Cup in 1978. Within 18 months Bobby Robson replaced them with the Butcher/Osman partnership.

Mogga came to an end. So did DeVos. There is no shame in getting old.

Has his legs gone though? He’s played the most minutes for Ipswich this season, made the most appearances and certainly isn’t slow on the pitch either.

Poll: If selling Jackson meant getting in a wide man, would you be happy with Garbutt?

Luke Chambers on 07:53 - Apr 5 with 1650 viewsIPSWICHFANITFC

Luke Chambers on 16:52 - Apr 4 by itfcjoe

Yep, there's always so much bracketing him and Skuse together as well forgetting they are 2 separate players.

They may both be 35, and both be linked to each other - but ultimately Chambers has played 3180 minutes in the league this season, whereas Skuse has played 107.

Defensively we have been in the top 6 for most metrics for the last 2 seasons and he has been a mainstay of that - for someone who is finished you'd expect him to be struggling more than he is.

This is spot on.

Whilst the full backs change or the centre back pairing change whether that’s weekly or each season, one name that’s been a guarantee in the starting 11 is Luke Chambers.

35 appearances, 3180 minutes. He’s played 1000 minutes more than the 4th highest in our squad this season.

He’s not done at all - if more of our players conditioned themselves off the pitch the way he does, they’d see stats like that next to their name too.

Luke Chambers on 08:05 - Apr 5 with 1643 viewsIPSWICHFANITFC

Luke Chambers on 17:43 - Apr 4 by Garv

Based on his quality and contribution in a football sense, on the whole I think most agree he is worth keeping around.

The argument for letting him go is doing a complete reset of the culture at the club. You could potentially argue, like in Mick's case, it's reached a natural end. Although you'd need to have a replacement captain coming through the door to allow him to leave I'd say.

On balance I'd keep him. Apart from anything else it'd be nice to say we've had a player represent us for 10 years in the modern era, and to give him a testimonial if he wants it.

I agree with your first point.

I see where you’re coming from with a reset of the culture, unless there’s more I don’t know about behind the scenes, I always get the sense Chambers gets the picture and is one of the few who passionately talks about the club from the heart.

I think the issue has been we’ve been so poor with recruitment that we don’t have too many leaders or experienced heads. Chambers has taken a lot more on than what he should too.

We lack more leaders in the squad. We lack more men who will compete and play with grit between their teeth. We lack a hardened mentality on the pitch. You’ll have a club captain at every club, but most clubs will have leaders/captains in the squad without the title. That’s what we lack and must address with our recruitment in the summer.

Luke Chambers on 08:33 - Apr 5 with 1618 viewstownblue

Luke Chambers on 14:11 - Apr 4 by J2BLUE

Guilt by association with the dire nine years we've just had.

Can't say i'd be gutted to see him leave but I wouldn't mind him staying as a back up.

I think this is a large part of it.

He's going to be 35 as we go into our summer of rebuilding so surely it's a sensible time for him to go and for Cook to bring in some of his own leaders.
Luke Chambers on 08:46 - Apr 5 with 1612 viewsDanTheMan

I would have thought he'd be one of the players staying on. Doesn't have the injury issues that have plagued the squad and would be good in rotation.

And he's certainly better in the centre than trying to play him as wingback.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Luke Chambers on 09:00 - Apr 5 with 1598 viewshype313

Luke Chambers on 08:46 - Apr 5 by DanTheMan

I would have thought he'd be one of the players staying on. Doesn't have the injury issues that have plagued the squad and would be good in rotation.

And he's certainly better in the centre than trying to play him as wingback.

Yeah, I think some are throwing the baby out with the bathwater on Chambers, and just want him gone because he has been here during our worst period, but you have to take him in isolation, he still plays regularly, he will probably be happy with a reduced contract to stay on for another season and he is a great asset to help new players acclimatizing to the club and the surroundings.

I'd keep him, it wouldn't eat into the wage bill that much and what you get in return will outweigh the weekly cost.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Luke Chambers on 09:01 - Apr 5 with 1597 viewsMullet

Ironically seen as Micks man despite being a Jewell signing. People keep writing him off and he keeps making them look stupid. Look at when they couldn’t accept Hurst was wrecking the club etc.

It’ll be interesting to see how they react if Cook keeps him on. The back Cook rhetoric might weaken for plenty.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Luke Chambers on 09:07 - Apr 5 with 1588 viewstractorboy1978

There is going to be a complete overhaul this summer and Cook will be bringing in a few of his own men he trusts I am sure - some nous, some characters and a couple of leaders. For me, it's an ideal break point for Chambers. Great servant, great captain and wish him all the best but I think we need a full reset personally. If Cook decides he wants him around though then will fully support that decision.
Luke Chambers on 09:41 - Apr 5 with 1566 viewsHARRY10

Luke Chambers on 15:11 - Apr 4 by jayessess

No blame for Chambo here, but I genuinely find it astonishing that you'd anticipate anyone lining up for Ipswich aged 37, unless they were outrageously talented. We're a football club, not a retirement home.
[Post edited 4 Apr 2021 15:11]

"We're a football club, not a retirement home. "

hard to tell at times
Luke Chambers on 10:02 - Apr 5 with 1559 viewsmonty_radio

Luke Chambers on 15:00 - Apr 4 by jayessess

I think it comes down to ruthlessness, really. Chambers has been reliable, but as a senior professional he is de facto going to take up a first team wage. That's a spot that could go to a new signing who might be better, might develop, might potentially have re-sale value.

The clubs at the top of this division have very few over 30. Hull have 1 (Magennis, 30), Posh have 1 (Beevers, 31). Sunderland have 3, but McGeady, Maguire and Leadbitter all peaked much higher than Chambers and are elite players at this level, rather than just reliable.

I think he'll get an extension and I've no major problem with that. But, I do think it says something about the club and it's fairly regressive attitude to things that we're happy to continue putting our valuable resources towards players who have no medium-term future at the club, even when they're no more than "reliable" now.
[Post edited 4 Apr 2021 15:03]

Agree overall, but debatable whether Maguire peaked at a higher level having played for Aberdeen than Chambers in the top half of the Championship. Not much in it, I'd say.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Luke Chambers on 11:21 - Apr 5 with 1525 viewspatrickswell

Luke Chambers on 08:33 - Apr 5 by townblue

I think this is a large part of it.

He's going to be 35 as we go into our summer of rebuilding so surely it's a sensible time for him to go and for Cook to bring in some of his own leaders.

I also think some fans consider that he was obstructive to Paul Hurst because he was seemingly the antithesis of McCarthy so the #NewEra never got a chance to get properly going.

I think there’s some merit in that point of view albeit, I have little sympathy for Hurst due to his poor judgment in so many areas.
[Post edited 5 Apr 2021 11:24]
Luke Chambers on 11:53 - Apr 5 with 1512 viewsreusersfreekicks

I thought Chambers looked much less secure than Wilson normally does against Bristol Rovers
Luke Chambers on 11:54 - Apr 5 with 1509 viewsMullet

Luke Chambers on 11:21 - Apr 5 by patrickswell

I also think some fans consider that he was obstructive to Paul Hurst because he was seemingly the antithesis of McCarthy so the #NewEra never got a chance to get properly going.

I think there’s some merit in that point of view albeit, I have little sympathy for Hurst due to his poor judgment in so many areas.
[Post edited 5 Apr 2021 11:24]

He stopped Hurst wrecking more, he should be lauded for that.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Luke Chambers on 12:09 - Apr 5 with 1503 viewsitfcjoe

Luke Chambers on 11:53 - Apr 5 by reusersfreekicks

I thought Chambers looked much less secure than Wilson normally does against Bristol Rovers

Those wide centre back roles are a tough ask - think wed look better balanced if Woolfie and Chambers swapped.

Chambers and Edwards on one side, with Woolfie and Ward the other gives us a better balance of defensive nous and pace

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024