Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If it's a choice between Paul Cool and Mark Ashton as CEO 01:52 - Apr 11 with 2870 viewsTieDyedIn95

We must stick with Paul Cook. If the issue is a CEO who wants to have a big hand in transfers and the playing squad as we're told Ashton will want, and a manager who has a great reputation in this league and chose this club over Championship clubs he wanted to work here that badly, then we simply must stick with Paul Cook.

Ashton's reputation at Bristol and Watford is terrible. Cooks reputation at Wigan, Pompey and Chesterfield is superb. Cook has got teams on limited budgets playing decent football and promoted from this league.

We need to back Cook and give him the time to do the job. If Cook is uncomfortable with Ashton coming in, then our owners must put the manager first and look for someone else to be our CEO. If Cook wants to lead of transfers and player sales, then Cook must be allowed to get on with it. If we have an upset manager, we will never get anywhere. We need Cook to be positive, excited and up for the challenge, not feeling like he's not going to have a handle on this project and just be expected to pick a team recruited (and sold) by someone who frankly isn't a football person.

Cook probably feels it's going to be like Wigan all over again and took this job under the impression that he'll be running the football side of the club. We should let him do just that.
[Post edited 11 Apr 2021 3:22]

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

If it's a choice between Paul Cool and Mark Ashton as CEO on 03:21 - Apr 11 with 2789 viewsitfc1108

I wonder if he had an interview for the Bristol City job, and met Ashton then.

One of the very few things that we didn't find out about the new owners this week, is if they are aware of and will respect our way of giving our managers time.

I'd hate that to change about us.
If it's a choice between Paul Cool and Mark Ashton as CEO on 03:27 - Apr 11 with 2770 viewsTieDyedIn95

If it's a choice between Paul Cool and Mark Ashton as CEO on 03:21 - Apr 11 by itfc1108

I wonder if he had an interview for the Bristol City job, and met Ashton then.

One of the very few things that we didn't find out about the new owners this week, is if they are aware of and will respect our way of giving our managers time.

I'd hate that to change about us.

It's quite a fitting end to the Evans era to see yet more chaos unfold due to his leadership. Cook may have been given the impression these guys were just investing and Evans would still be leading and he may have been told he'd be running the club, much in the way Mick did, while Evans dealt with the off field stuff. That's definitely not how Ashton operates according to the fans where he's been before and maybe he doesn't want to play second fiddle to a CEO.

Equally if Cook left now, he could escape having to work with Ashton and now he's fully aware of quite the state we are in, he wouldn't be blotting his managerial record by being associated with a failure here. I am sure Cook has a clear plan in his mind as to what he wants to do. If that doesn't gel with Ashton or the new owners then he's either off or there will be trouble ahead.

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

If it's a choice between Paul Cool and Mark Ashton as CEO on 06:14 - Apr 11 with 2636 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

If it's a choice between Paul Cool and Mark Ashton as CEO on 07:07 - Apr 11 with 2565 viewsColchesterBlue1985

I disagree. The CEO is arguably for us as if not more important than the manager. There is so much that needs to be addressed off the pitch that a CEO is an absolute must. If Mark Ashton is their first choice then we must give them that trust for now as they have bought us when we needed them most. If their is significant levels of investment then attracting a new manager will not be an issue.

Also Cook has done sweet FA in the short time he has been here to even suggest we are going to get it right soon (don’t get me wrong he was my first choice but I have been bitterly disappointed with our points return) ideally he will stay with the new CEO etc however if he is playing hardball then I am going to have a guess and say he is picking a fight with the wrong people.
If it's a choice between Paul Cool and Mark Ashton as CEO on 07:11 - Apr 11 with 2557 viewstextbackup

I really like paul cook, but how do you know that Mark Ashton wouldn't end up being a better CEO for us then pc is manager?

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

If it's a choice between Paul Cool and Mark Ashton as CEO on 07:22 - Apr 11 with 2505 viewsWD19

If it's a choice between Paul Cool and Mark Ashton as CEO on 03:27 - Apr 11 by TieDyedIn95

It's quite a fitting end to the Evans era to see yet more chaos unfold due to his leadership. Cook may have been given the impression these guys were just investing and Evans would still be leading and he may have been told he'd be running the club, much in the way Mick did, while Evans dealt with the off field stuff. That's definitely not how Ashton operates according to the fans where he's been before and maybe he doesn't want to play second fiddle to a CEO.

Equally if Cook left now, he could escape having to work with Ashton and now he's fully aware of quite the state we are in, he wouldn't be blotting his managerial record by being associated with a failure here. I am sure Cook has a clear plan in his mind as to what he wants to do. If that doesn't gel with Ashton or the new owners then he's either off or there will be trouble ahead.

“That is definitely not true according to some fans”.

If it's a choice between Paul Cool and Mark Ashton as CEO on 07:26 - Apr 11 with 2485 viewsKeaneish

Is this based on anything other than complete guesswork?

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

If it's a choice between Paul Cool and Mark Ashton as CEO on 08:38 - Apr 11 with 2316 viewsRomeo4

The manager is the most important person at the football club. He has been appointed to improve the results on the pitch. He should be the man making the decisions on player recruitment. If a CEO is appointed then his role should be to assist the manager with this (reigning him in if necessary).

The CEO can still direct the club in all off-field matters but leave the manager to be solely responsible for the playing performance.

If Ashton or any other can’t work to this remit then I would prefer them not to come. I don’t want a businessman picking the player we sign. Cook has the expertise and experience to do this. That’s why he’s been appointed.

I really hope we appoint a CEO but one who would allow Cook to do the job of the football manager.
Login to get fewer ads

If it's a choice between Paul Cool and Mark Ashton as CEO on 09:11 - Apr 11 with 2252 viewsGuthrum

If it's a choice between Paul Cool and Mark Ashton as CEO on 08:38 - Apr 11 by Romeo4

The manager is the most important person at the football club. He has been appointed to improve the results on the pitch. He should be the man making the decisions on player recruitment. If a CEO is appointed then his role should be to assist the manager with this (reigning him in if necessary).

The CEO can still direct the club in all off-field matters but leave the manager to be solely responsible for the playing performance.

If Ashton or any other can’t work to this remit then I would prefer them not to come. I don’t want a businessman picking the player we sign. Cook has the expertise and experience to do this. That’s why he’s been appointed.

I really hope we appoint a CEO but one who would allow Cook to do the job of the football manager.

Giving the Manager unfettered control over transfers (subject to budget) is what got ITFC into so much trouble with Keane and Hurst. Almost nobody does that nowadays, it's too much of a lottery.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

If it's a choice between Paul Cool and Mark Ashton as CEO on 09:13 - Apr 11 with 2235 viewsITFC_Forever

If it's a choice between Paul Cool and Mark Ashton as CEO on 06:14 - Apr 11 by BryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

That’s a given... the point the OP is making is should that be someone other than Mark Ashton.

P 1118, W 498, D 285, L 335, F 1699, A 1352
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

If it's a choice between Paul Cool and Mark Ashton as CEO on 09:15 - Apr 11 with 2213 viewsBluebell

Who is Paul Cool?
If it's a choice between Paul Cool and Mark Ashton as CEO on 09:26 - Apr 11 with 2159 viewsRomeo4

If it's a choice between Paul Cool and Mark Ashton as CEO on 09:11 - Apr 11 by Guthrum

Giving the Manager unfettered control over transfers (subject to budget) is what got ITFC into so much trouble with Keane and Hurst. Almost nobody does that nowadays, it's too much of a lottery.

To be fair I didn’t suggest the manager should have unfettered control. I said the CEO should reign him in when necessary.

The point I’m trying to make is that a manager with Cook’s track record should be given the trust to make the right decisions on player recruitment within the financial confines set by the owners and CEO.

If the CEO becomes all powerful then there is no point in appointing a manager. You may as well just have a coach who’s remit is to just work with the players selected for him by the non-footballing business suits.
If it's a choice between Paul Cool and Mark Ashton as CEO on 09:39 - Apr 11 with 2102 viewspointofblue

This is why I think Gamechanger should be looking to bring in Jonathan Jackson, as he is someone who has worked with Cook. Their love and support for Ashton bothers me; as I keep saying I really don’t want to bring in someone who’s fans are desperate to show them the door.

However, if Cook is resilient to a CEO role entirely then he should walk if he cannot accept it. This club has desperately needed structure for the last 13 years and the owners need to be allowed to put one in place.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

If it's a choice between Paul Cool and Mark Ashton as CEO on 09:52 - Apr 11 with 2069 viewsGuthrum

If it's a choice between Paul Cool and Mark Ashton as CEO on 09:26 - Apr 11 by Romeo4

To be fair I didn’t suggest the manager should have unfettered control. I said the CEO should reign him in when necessary.

The point I’m trying to make is that a manager with Cook’s track record should be given the trust to make the right decisions on player recruitment within the financial confines set by the owners and CEO.

If the CEO becomes all powerful then there is no point in appointing a manager. You may as well just have a coach who’s remit is to just work with the players selected for him by the non-footballing business suits.

I don't think there are many places where the CEO/coaching balance is tipped so far that way, either. After all, the Manager is the person setting up the team, the football expert in the room.

The exceptions tend to be where there is a Director of Football, who is themself a football expert, often a former manager or player. A somewhat different role to the Ashton-style CEO.

If it's a choice between Paul Cool and Mark Ashton as CEO on 09:57 - Apr 11 with 2049 viewsgetawig

If it's a choice between Paul Cool and Mark Ashton as CEO on 09:15 - Apr 11 by Bluebell

Who is Paul Cool?

Phil's brother
If it's a choice between Paul Cool and Mark Ashton as CEO on 10:18 - Apr 11 with 2008 viewsRomeo4

If it's a choice between Paul Cool and Mark Ashton as CEO on 09:52 - Apr 11 by Guthrum

I don't think there are many places where the CEO/coaching balance is tipped so far that way, either. After all, the Manager is the person setting up the team, the football expert in the room.

The exceptions tend to be where there is a Director of Football, who is themself a football expert, often a former manager or player. A somewhat different role to the Ashton-style CEO.

Fair enough.

Hopefully whatever the structure is going forward and the individuals brought in to operate it is something that Cook can work with. I really do feel he’s the best man to take us forward. Would be really disappointed if he was to leave.
If it's a choice between Paul Cool and Mark Ashton as CEO on 10:58 - Apr 11 with 1958 viewsGuthrum

If it's a choice between Paul Cool and Mark Ashton as CEO on 10:18 - Apr 11 by Romeo4

Fair enough.

Hopefully whatever the structure is going forward and the individuals brought in to operate it is something that Cook can work with. I really do feel he’s the best man to take us forward. Would be really disappointed if he was to leave.

I would be very disappointed, too. Think he's a good manager and a decent bloke.

If it's a choice between Paul Cool and Mark Ashton as CEO on 11:03 - Apr 11 with 1928 viewsPJH

If it's a choice between Paul Cool and Mark Ashton as CEO on 10:58 - Apr 11 by Guthrum

I would be very disappointed, too. Think he's a good manager and a decent bloke.

and we have not had anyone with both those qualities since....
If it's a choice between Paul Cool and Mark Ashton as CEO on 11:25 - Apr 11 with 1877 viewsElephantintheRoom

Im not sure a US Pension Fund would agree with you. Before they inexplicably provided the cash to buy a downwardly mobileEnglish third division club with very few if any assets in a faraway land - track record lest we forget, minus £100 million and one division in little over a decade, they MUST have been given a managment plan that suggested, however sketchily that their money was in safe hands.

IF they are now scracthing around for a CEO with a modicum of expertise in running a small club with limited funds and turning around a decade of absolute failure, all while a global pandemic lurks - the first crisis has already begun.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

If it's a choice between Paul Cool and Mark Ashton as CEO on 11:34 - Apr 11 with 1833 viewsJ2BLUE

If it's a choice between Paul Cool and Mark Ashton as CEO on 11:25 - Apr 11 by ElephantintheRoom

Im not sure a US Pension Fund would agree with you. Before they inexplicably provided the cash to buy a downwardly mobileEnglish third division club with very few if any assets in a faraway land - track record lest we forget, minus £100 million and one division in little over a decade, they MUST have been given a managment plan that suggested, however sketchily that their money was in safe hands.

IF they are now scracthing around for a CEO with a modicum of expertise in running a small club with limited funds and turning around a decade of absolute failure, all while a global pandemic lurks - the first crisis has already begun.

What a way to waste your Sunday posting sh1te like that.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

If it's a choice between Paul Cool and Mark Ashton as CEO on 11:51 - Apr 11 with 1776 viewsSomethingBlue

Ultimately we need someone who fits the structure the owners want. If that's not to be Cook then it needs sorting out quickly, unfortunate as that might be on several levels. Hopefully he talks at length with them in the coming days and everyone gets the assurances they need.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

If it's a choice between Paul Cool and Mark Ashton as CEO on 11:52 - Apr 11 with 1764 viewsElephantintheRoom

If it's a choice between Paul Cool and Mark Ashton as CEO on 11:34 - Apr 11 by J2BLUE

What a way to waste your Sunday posting sh1te like that.

So in your world the last ten years have been staggeringly successful, the £100 million loss is a hopeful sign of a great investment for the silver-haired retirees of Amercia's finest - and Covid doesn't exist?

If it's a choice between Paul Cool and Mark Ashton as CEO on 11:59 - Apr 11 with 1736 viewsJ2BLUE

If it's a choice between Paul Cool and Mark Ashton as CEO on 11:52 - Apr 11 by ElephantintheRoom

So in your world the last ten years have been staggeringly successful, the £100 million loss is a hopeful sign of a great investment for the silver-haired retirees of Amercia's finest - and Covid doesn't exist?

You don't deserve a response if you're going to be that stupid.

Hopefully your trolling impresses someone else enough to give you a go.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

If it's a choice between Paul Cool and Mark Ashton as CEO on 15:58 - Apr 11 with 1544 viewsElephantintheRoom

If it's a choice between Paul Cool and Mark Ashton as CEO on 11:59 - Apr 11 by J2BLUE

You don't deserve a response if you're going to be that stupid.

Hopefully your trolling impresses someone else enough to give you a go.

Ahem you made an ignorant comment and followed it up with a stupid one. Believe it or not there will have been a plan of sorts presented to the pension fund - and IF a wheel has dropped off already it is not a good sign.

Those in charge of doling out hundreds of millions of $ couldn't care less about a manager from Wigan - they will have heard of neither Ipswich, nor Wigan, IF the person supposedly in charge of running their relatively small but risky investment has already exited stage left - trust me that is not a good sign.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024