Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Two points gained after going behind, 15 squandered after going ahead 10:44 - Oct 31 with 1491 viewsSomethingBlue

That's off a fag packet btw and charitably doesn't include the Bolton game in the latter figure because we were just so comfortably beaten ... but even with some minor deviation it's easy to see that this looks very bad. Those numbers need to at least get close to each other if we're to have a chance of doing anything,

Interesting debate below btw, the thing for me is that we have such a massive opportunity this season with engaged & monied backers, good players, a sense of freshness and momentum around the club ... and if we squander it then it's probably not going to feel exactly like this again for a long time. We need to make it count because if we do then this club could really fly. If we can't do that in the next month then this season has probably gone and it's another squad rebuild next summer.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Two points gained after going behind, 15 squandered after going ahead on 11:10 - Oct 31 with 1446 viewsJ2BLUE

The thing that has chilled me most is in one of your posts you said there would be a squad churn of 50%. I think that's spot on. Some on here don't seem to understand how important this season is.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Two points gained after going behind, 15 squandered after going ahead on 11:12 - Oct 31 with 1434 viewsitfcjoe

We’ve taken the lead in all 7 of our away games and managed to lose 4 of them (and draw at Cambridge), they’ve all followed a similar pattern too.

We did actually get back into the game yesterday abs creating chances which hasn’t been the case in the others, but it’s scant consolation
[Post edited 31 Oct 2021 11:13]

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Two points gained after going behind, 15 squandered after going ahead on 11:13 - Oct 31 with 1422 viewsSomethingBlue

Two points gained after going behind, 15 squandered after going ahead on 11:10 - Oct 31 by J2BLUE

The thing that has chilled me most is in one of your posts you said there would be a squad churn of 50%. I think that's spot on. Some on here don't seem to understand how important this season is.

That's the thing, there really would be. We're at a really awkward moment where if we don't get in the mix really soon it's going to be "rebuild" territory yet again — whether that's manager, squad or both.

Two points gained after going behind, 15 squandered after going ahead on 11:21 - Oct 31 with 1395 viewsHerbivore

Two points gained after going behind, 15 squandered after going ahead on 11:12 - Oct 31 by itfcjoe

We’ve taken the lead in all 7 of our away games and managed to lose 4 of them (and draw at Cambridge), they’ve all followed a similar pattern too.

We did actually get back into the game yesterday abs creating chances which hasn’t been the case in the others, but it’s scant consolation
[Post edited 31 Oct 2021 11:13]

Our away record under Cook has been miserable. Played 17, won 3, drawn 5, lost 9. That's 14 points from 17 away games, the majority of which have been against the division's lesser lights. I think the lack of a Plan B and the relatively limited tactical approach gets shown up away from home. We don't seem to know what to do when the game gets tough or in the key moments, the game management remains poor.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Two points gained after going behind, 15 squandered after going ahead on 11:22 - Oct 31 with 1392 viewsBurns7

Two points gained after going behind, 15 squandered after going ahead on 11:10 - Oct 31 by J2BLUE

Most people are happy to blindly back failure in order to try and appear as better supporters than others. Cook has failed on a scale no other manager has here, he’s in a weak league and had the best backing of any manager we ever had and he’s pulled together a bang average League One side and has all the tactical ability of a half rotten satsuma. The brains of his past success are still at Wigan. He’s a rubbish manager who’s luck has run out. Get him out and get someone with a brain in before it’s too late to save us. Failure this season will be utterly destructive for this club. The pension fund isn’t going to keep pissing money away on a failed football club stuck in the middle of the second lowest tier in English football.
Two points gained after going behind, 15 squandered after going ahead on 11:24 - Oct 31 with 1378 viewsSomethingBlue

Two points gained after going behind, 15 squandered after going ahead on 11:21 - Oct 31 by Herbivore

Our away record under Cook has been miserable. Played 17, won 3, drawn 5, lost 9. That's 14 points from 17 away games, the majority of which have been against the division's lesser lights. I think the lack of a Plan B and the relatively limited tactical approach gets shown up away from home. We don't seem to know what to do when the game gets tough or in the key moments, the game management remains poor.

That's been the thing — no real problem with how we start games, we are pretty good at imposing ourselves from the off away from home and that's reflected in the number of times we've scored first. But the lack of ability to react or adapt to setbacks, or those moments that happen to every single team in every single game where an opponent manages to tip the scales for a few minutes, is chronic and shows little sign of getting better.

Two points gained after going behind, 15 squandered after going ahead on 11:26 - Oct 31 with 1367 viewsChurchman

Sadly season gone, rebuild next year looks like that is exactly what’s going to happen. 15 games in, the table doesn’t lie. We are what we are. A team with some capable players for this pitiful level, but a middling team at best. Capable of good spells and good goals, but weak at the back and easily bullied. Just two clean sheets all season. Because this area of the team hasn’t really improved, I cant see how anything much is going to change.

Yes, the club is moving forwards in so many ways. But the team has only marginally improved in Oct from a very low base. That’s very disappointing. Yes we competed against one of the ‘big boys’ in Plymouth, but all the excuses in the world doesn’t change the fact that we came up short.

You are right about the missed opportunity. Maybe we will dramatically improve, but I just can’t see it. If the make up of a team is that they can’t cope every time an organised opponent gets in their faces, no coaching will change that. You have it or you don’t. Edmondson saying they didn’t win enough individual battles is feeble. He and they knew they had to do that at 3pm. It’s the basics and they failed as they have in so many other games.

The debate now, which features in other threads, is whether to replace Cook now or at the latest end of Nov or seasons end. I really don’t know.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2021 17:35]
Two points gained after going behind, 15 squandered after going ahead on 11:29 - Oct 31 with 1357 viewsHerbivore

Two points gained after going behind, 15 squandered after going ahead on 11:24 - Oct 31 by SomethingBlue

That's been the thing — no real problem with how we start games, we are pretty good at imposing ourselves from the off away from home and that's reflected in the number of times we've scored first. But the lack of ability to react or adapt to setbacks, or those moments that happen to every single team in every single game where an opponent manages to tip the scales for a few minutes, is chronic and shows little sign of getting better.

It's been a recurring issue since he arrived if we're honest, with two different sets of players at his disposal. At some point you have to question whether this is an issue with Cook and how he sets the team up and manages them from the sidelines. There's very little in the way of adjusting during the game and we struggle to wrestle back any foothold in a game when under pressure, even against the likes of Cheltenham who are operating on a fraction of our resources.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

Two points gained after going behind, 15 squandered after going ahead on 11:30 - Oct 31 with 1353 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Two points gained after going behind, 15 squandered after going ahead on 11:22 - Oct 31 by Burns7

Most people are happy to blindly back failure in order to try and appear as better supporters than others. Cook has failed on a scale no other manager has here, he’s in a weak league and had the best backing of any manager we ever had and he’s pulled together a bang average League One side and has all the tactical ability of a half rotten satsuma. The brains of his past success are still at Wigan. He’s a rubbish manager who’s luck has run out. Get him out and get someone with a brain in before it’s too late to save us. Failure this season will be utterly destructive for this club. The pension fund isn’t going to keep pissing money away on a failed football club stuck in the middle of the second lowest tier in English football.

Constructive criticism as ever....you remind me of someone recently consigned to the dustbin of relevance but can't quite put a name to it.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Two points gained after going behind, 15 squandered after going ahead on 11:39 - Oct 31 with 1316 viewsfooters

Two points gained after going behind, 15 squandered after going ahead on 11:22 - Oct 31 by Burns7

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Two points gained after going behind, 15 squandered after going ahead on 11:49 - Oct 31 with 1279 viewsBlueBadger

Give over, you massive fanny. You're making people wish for Phil to un-ban Fishers. At least he's funny.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Two points gained after going behind, 15 squandered after going ahead on 11:52 - Oct 31 with 1273 viewsFtnfwest

We should stop being positive, not turn up to games, protest outside the club for Cooks head. Because if they sack him now the next guy can change everything, get about 30 games, if it’s still no better the timings right for the end of the season to then sack him and get the next guy in for another rebuild next summer.
Two points gained after going behind, 15 squandered after going ahead on 12:28 - Oct 31 with 1211 viewsFixed_It

Two points gained after going behind, 15 squandered after going ahead on 11:49 - Oct 31 by BlueBadger

Give over, you massive fanny. You're making people wish for Phil to un-ban Fishers. At least he's funny.

Give me Fishers any day. He was annoyingly predictable, but this one is just annoying.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Two points gained after going behind, 15 squandered after going ahead on 12:42 - Oct 31 with 1201 viewsLankHenners

I know yesterday we can say we had our entire right hand side ruled out quite late in the day, we missed a few chances that on another day we would have buried, Plymouth are a good side etc. but again it followed a similar pattern that we see away from home especially.

Get ourselves in front (whether it's through being on top or just taking a chance when we have it), look to have some sort of control in the game, concede a daft goal through some poor defending, come out after HT looking like we're asleep, get put under pressure, concede again and end up chucking points away.

The difference yesterday was this didn't happen late on in the game and we managed to do well enough to create some chances to get a goal back, but obviously fell short.

It comes back to Cook and the coaching staff again - at this level a lot of goals will be scored down to a mistake somewhere along the line or not dealing with something properly but if the same things are happening repeatedly then we won't get anywhere.

I pointed out yesterday that if we repeat 10 points from 6 games (like we've just done) for the rest of the season then at absolute best we'll sneak into 6th spot based on historical points totals for this league, and that's if the points threshold happens to be relatively low come the end of the season.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Two points gained after going behind, 15 squandered after going ahead on 12:54 - Oct 31 with 1167 viewsJDB23

This team has far too many frailties that are seen week in week out. If they are still there at this point in the season I can’t see Cook eradicating them.

The problem with our fans is, through no fault of their own as they’ve supported a garbage team for 20 years, they don’t know what a genuine promotion capable team looks like. It doesn’t look like us that’s for sure.
Two points gained after going behind, 15 squandered after going ahead on 13:09 - Oct 31 with 1128 viewsIllinoisblue

Here’s the Incredible Hulk again, raging and raging

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Two points gained after going behind, 15 squandered after going ahead on 16:08 - Oct 31 with 1026 viewsSteve_M

Two points gained after going behind, 15 squandered after going ahead on 11:24 - Oct 31 by SomethingBlue

The more I think about it, the more the 15 minute spell after half-time against Doncaster when we looked lost and hesitant stands out from that evening.

We’re not robust enough as a team, concede to a high percentage of the chances created against us, react badly to adversity and, as you say, the inability to rescue games once behind remains very concerning. It comes back, again, to the weakness of our coaching staff.

That lack of robustness could well be really shown up on Tuesday and against Rotherham. If Cook wants to be here in January he has to find a way to make sure it isn’t.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Two points gained after going behind, 15 squandered after going ahead on 16:13 - Oct 31 with 1011 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Not sure where 2 points gained comes from. I can only recall 1 from our first match.

We went ahead against Bolton so it really should count.

The ability to take these leads is one thing that gives me hope. We are good enough to have many more points than we have. However, the repeated failure to hold on to these leads is what is costing us. We need to stop this rot and stop it soon. I do lay the blame for it with Cook and he has to put it right or he will go probably sooner rather than later.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Two points gained after going behind, 15 squandered after going ahead on 16:21 - Oct 31 with 983 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

Two points gained after going behind, 15 squandered after going ahead on 16:13 - Oct 31 by Nthsuffolkblue

Not sure where 2 points gained comes from. I can only recall 1 from our first match.

The ability to take these leads is one thing that gives me hope. We are good enough to have many more points than we have. However, the repeated failure to hold on to these leads is what is costing us. We need to stop this rot and stop it soon. I do lay the blame for it with Cook and he has to put it right or he will go probably sooner rather than later.

Wednesday

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

Two points gained after going behind, 15 squandered after going ahead on 17:42 - Oct 31 with 889 viewsDeano69

Its nothing to do with being a better supporter, more about being an Ipswich Town supporter.

And while we are at it, lets sack the next manager before he is appointed, that will teach him.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Two points gained after going behind, 15 squandered after going ahead on 18:07 - Oct 31 with 868 viewsSomethingBlue

Two points gained after going behind, 15 squandered after going ahead on 16:13 - Oct 31 by Nthsuffolkblue

Sheff Weds the other one.

Two points gained after going behind, 15 squandered after going ahead on 18:46 - Oct 31 with 841 viewschrismakin

Whats really frustrating is we are so close to being a quality side.

There's just something missing. I'm not sure what it is. But we are almost there.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Two points gained after going behind, 15 squandered after going ahead on 20:05 - Oct 31 with 799 viewsLeoMuff

Two points gained after going behind, 15 squandered after going ahead on 18:46 - Oct 31 by chrismakin

Whats really frustrating is we are so close to being a quality side.

There's just something missing. I'm not sure what it is. But we are almost there.

I feel this as well, there has to be positives when as of last week we were top scorers in the whole football league, scoring goals is the tough bit.

The defence has improved, if we can keep Donacian, Edmundson, Toto, Coulsen as a settled 4 and improve our game management to stop conceding at key points we will fly.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024