Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... 08:41 - Dec 2 with 3850 viewsitfcjoe

...being an Ipswich fan.

But then every now and again something else punctures through.

My Mum's family are all Arsenal ST holders, home and away fans living in North London.......it's not that long ago they used to come down when we were playing them and have a weekend here, talking about Wembley '78 and the like

The gap felt massive when we last played them (and beat them!) at Portman Road when we went back to the away game they seemed to be in a different stratosphere.

A few years later we are getting knocked out of a Cup to their youth team.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 08:54 - Dec 2 with 2268 viewscatch74

It’s scary that it wasn’t a surprise, even at 2-0.
Gamechanger will not be enjoying this, when Pack out PR was initiated I imagine it’s aim was to coincide with a good run of games, maybe an appearance in the play off positions and a triumphant welcoming of the new owners to the ground. Could be very sour now. Charlton and Wigan away, no wins, then surely they’ll be wanting to present a new manager at PR, otherwise it’s likely to be quite a moody atmosphere.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 08:57 - Dec 2 with 2241 viewsunstableblue

I do remember in the away game we seemed light years behind them.

I also remember being not being that impressed about our 'Priskin' home performance, did we actually look decent in the home leg?

As for last night they were always going to have extremely gifted footballers, I thought even as a set of U21s they were valid opposition - but we bossed them with intensity. But then our soft underbelly got exposed YET AGAIN.

Watching a lot more Premier League games this season, the GULF in class to us seems enormous, in just speed of play, technical ability of players, and technical shape employed. Even Norwich look streets ahead, but to be honest from a footballing perspective they looked streets ahead in the play-off finals years back.

We needed a complete rebuild, a complete reset and refresh. It pains me to think its failed again and we're going to now have to start a second project!

Come on players and Cook FECKIN run towards adversity.. seize the moment at THE VALLEY.. or do we have to pack in another season

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 08:57 - Dec 2 with 2235 viewsWhos_blue

That was an interesting game. It's always held up as a classic and indeed is immortalised on a banner on the revamped SBR stand (which I love BTW). But the reality, from memory, was that Ian McParland in his one post Keane game in charge packed 5 across the midfield to completely stifle any creativity from Arsenal. Left back Mark Kennedy was employed in a free central midfield role with the sole job of keeping Fabregas out of the game. It worked. You wouldn't want to see that style of play every week, but it certainly worked as a one off. Priskin will always be remembered for that one goal, but as far as I can recall, that was about his only memorable contribution during his time with us.
That game was 10 years ago!
Jeez. It's been a shocker of a decade hasn't it?

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 08:59 - Dec 2 with 2215 viewsYallop

Embarrassed???? Wash your mouth out !

I'm proud to be an Ipswich fan, our history, our values, our patch of sleepy Suffolk.

We'll get there. Apart from stuff around my kids my life goal is to see us in the Prem again before I peg it. It will happen....
You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 09:01 - Dec 2 with 2200 viewsTractorWood

Agree. Seems to be people who love it though. 'We played well', 'I quite enjoyed that'.

Knocked out by Arsenal's youth team in some competition we are allegedly too big for. Despite enormously positive change in the summer the consistent trajectory of getting worse every year remains in tact.
[Post edited 2 Dec 2021 9:02]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 09:03 - Dec 2 with 2155 viewschicoazul

You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 08:59 - Dec 2 by Yallop

I'm proud to be an Ipswich fan, our history, our values, our patch of sleepy Suffolk.

We'll get there. Apart from stuff around my kids my life goal is to see us in the Prem again before I peg it. It will happen....

While I agree with this, it’s important to note that almost everything that made one proud to be an Ipswich fan is now gone never to return.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 09:03 - Dec 2 with 2144 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

It's a meaningless cup that we lost on penalties in. I forgot we were even playing and I imagine most Arsenal supporters paid it no attention either... yet you're embarrassed by it because your mum's family are all Arsenal ST holders?!

Jesus Christ, give your head a wobble.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 09:04 - Dec 2 with 2105 viewsurbanblue

Immune is the word. Watching while having my breakfast I found I didn't miss a beat dipping my soldiers into my egg as it was absolutely no surprise at all. We just KNOW don't we, that we will often, as Brenner said, turn victory into defeat.

By the time we got to penalties I really didn't care rather like Celina's effort. It's almost a blessing that we won't have to embarrass ourselves in this competition any more.

Something needs to change ... again!
Login to get fewer ads

You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 09:12 - Dec 2 with 2007 viewstimothyeo

The painful thing is under Cook, at 2-0 against a youth side, I had zero confidence we'd go on to win the game.

Get him and his constant underperformance out of our club ASAP
You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 09:12 - Dec 2 with 2008 viewsBlueySwede

I wouldn´t worry so much about it. It´s a worthless pizza cup, we played our second string. Of course Cook wanted a win, but did the players?
The gap between the Premiership and lower league has been increasing for so long, so no surprise there. I would worry about losing to Arsenal if or when we reach the Premiership again.
You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 09:15 - Dec 2 with 1982 viewshomer_123

You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 09:03 - Dec 2 by The_Flashing_Smile

It's a meaningless cup that we lost on penalties in. I forgot we were even playing and I imagine most Arsenal supporters paid it no attention either... yet you're embarrassed by it because your mum's family are all Arsenal ST holders?!

Jesus Christ, give your head a wobble.

It's football isn't it and cup football at that. So losing to teams below you or on paper lesser that you happens.

Two small points though.

1. PC said he was going for this Cup and a win/ wembley appearance would be good, so he was taking it seriously
2. The manner in which we gave it away is all too familiar and, as I said last night, habitual

So yes, in some ways you can write off a Cup loss to Arse U21s or whatever but - it's the manner of that loss that is concerning - it's a pattern that Cook has been unable to address whether it was with a squad he inherited or one of his own making.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 09:15 - Dec 2 with 1970 viewshomer_123

You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 09:12 - Dec 2 by BlueySwede

I wouldn´t worry so much about it. It´s a worthless pizza cup, we played our second string. Of course Cook wanted a win, but did the players?
The gap between the Premiership and lower league has been increasing for so long, so no surprise there. I would worry about losing to Arsenal if or when we reach the Premiership again.

So, it doesn't concern you, at all, that what we saw Sunday was repeated last night?

You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 09:19 - Dec 2 with 1930 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 09:15 - Dec 2 by homer_123

It's football isn't it and cup football at that. So losing to teams below you or on paper lesser that you happens.

Two small points though.

1. PC said he was going for this Cup and a win/ wembley appearance would be good, so he was taking it seriously
2. The manner in which we gave it away is all too familiar and, as I said last night, habitual

So yes, in some ways you can write off a Cup loss to Arse U21s or whatever but - it's the manner of that loss that is concerning - it's a pattern that Cook has been unable to address whether it was with a squad he inherited or one of his own making.

It's not proper cup football.

We made 11 changes.

You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 09:20 - Dec 2 with 1931 viewsclive_baker

It's embarrassing enough competing in that competition. I couldn't get remotely excited at the prospect of walking down Wembley way to watch us in a final against a Doncaster in the Pizza cup. Seeing our players posting pre match clips of Wembley on their insta, grinning like a competition winner from Match magazine.

We already showed the competition too much respect. If it's going to include U21 sides then we should've largely fielded ours, doing the absolute bare minimum to meet the requirements IMO.

FA Cup? Absolutely. We need to go strong against Barrow and dispatch of them. Something tells me we'll get Everton at home, either R3 or 4. I'll be having the old Weetabix box and tin foil on the kitchen table before you know it.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 09:21 - Dec 2 with 1918 viewshomer_123

You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 09:19 - Dec 2 by The_Flashing_Smile

We made 11 changes.

Neither of which addresses the two points I raised.

You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 09:22 - Dec 2 with 1896 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 09:15 - Dec 2 by homer_123

So, it doesn't concern you, at all, that what we saw Sunday was repeated last night?

What did we see Sunday that was repeated last night?

We won on Sunday and created numerous chances.
We lost on penalties last night, in a meaningless cup, after 11 changes. In what way were the two games comparable?

You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 09:24 - Dec 2 with 1878 viewsDMDC

lve given up again this season. l was the most encouraged ld been for years at the start of the season and was so angry after the Sunderland defeat. lt was then l decided to step back again and accept we will be in this division again next season, christ l hate this league 1 football.
You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 09:25 - Dec 2 with 1865 viewshomer_123

You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 09:22 - Dec 2 by The_Flashing_Smile

What did we see Sunday that was repeated last night?

We won on Sunday and created numerous chances.
We lost on penalties last night, in a meaningless cup, after 11 changes. In what way were the two games comparable?

Ohhhh - I don't know - the way in which - at 2 zip up - we switched off. We let the opposition back into the game....we stopped playing.....etc.

You see - it doesn't matter whether it's a Cup game or a changed eleven - these 'basic' things haven't been sorted out.

You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 09:29 - Dec 2 with 1816 viewsmonty_radio

You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 09:19 - Dec 2 by The_Flashing_Smile

We made 11 changes.

I think that, as far as Town's recent history goes, that is "proper cup football".

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 09:29 - Dec 2 with 1794 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 09:21 - Dec 2 by homer_123

Neither of which addresses the two points I raised.

Err, yes the second addresses both of your points. Actions speak louder than words - Cook made 11 changes. If he was really serious about this competition would he make 11 changes? Would he suddenly put Hladky in goal? Would he be starting Jackson? 11 different players means it's not all too familiar. They're just not as good, and haven't played together as much, as the first team.

You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 09:31 - Dec 2 with 1774 viewsDMDC

You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 09:29 - Dec 2 by The_Flashing_Smile

Err, yes the second addresses both of your points. Actions speak louder than words - Cook made 11 changes. If he was really serious about this competition would he make 11 changes? Would he suddenly put Hladky in goal? Would he be starting Jackson? 11 different players means it's not all too familiar. They're just not as good, and haven't played together as much, as the first team.

The first team arnt much cop either.
You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 09:31 - Dec 2 with 1771 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 09:25 - Dec 2 by homer_123

Ohhhh - I don't know - the way in which - at 2 zip up - we switched off. We let the opposition back into the game....we stopped playing.....etc.

You see - it doesn't matter whether it's a Cup game or a changed eleven - these 'basic' things haven't been sorted out.

We didn't switch off or stop playing on Sunday. Crewe got one back not 2. I don't know what you're saying. We conceded a goal on Sunday, that's about the only similarity.

You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 09:37 - Dec 2 with 1741 viewstimothyeo

You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 09:31 - Dec 2 by The_Flashing_Smile

We didn't switch off or stop playing on Sunday. Crewe got one back not 2. I don't know what you're saying. We conceded a goal on Sunday, that's about the only similarity.

You have, y'know, watched football before, haven't you?

"We conceded a goal on Sunday, that's about the only similarity".

Ok, no, no you haven't watched football. Least, you've never understood it.
You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 09:54 - Dec 2 with 1650 viewsclive_baker

You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 09:25 - Dec 2 by homer_123

I think it was defintely more evident earlier in the season, Wimbledon was a farce, Cheltenham we got properly bullied. Bolton was shocking. But personnel is different now, namely Walton (Bolton debut aside), Morsy, Edmundson getting fit who have formed a more robust spine. Still imperfect, definitely, but less of a soft touch than we were previously when our first XI is out there IMO.

In our last 10 league games we've only failed to win once after going ahead, and that was away to Plymouth who were then top. We also had plenty of chances to get something from that and I think we were worth a point. But isn't that life? Football would be a bit dull if we could all go home after the first goal.

We have picked up points in games from losing positions too. 1-0 down away to Wycombe we turn it around and win 4-1. We've had Fleetwood come back and equalise late and found some character to get the winner. We've had Crewe pull one back and we've reacted well and certainly scould've scored a 3rd.

For me I've seen enough since August / September to have the reasons to beleive we're more street wise and robust than we were then. I think we're probably as good as most sides in the top half, the issue is I don't really see any evidence that we're demostrably better. Sunderland were no better than us, we can beat them at home. Oxford weren't either, Plymouth weren't, Wycmobe weren't, Pompey weren't, Sheff Wed weren't.

Rotherham was sobering, we're way off them, the rest of the pack is all much of a muchness, but that in itself is depressing. We've spent a lot of money and I would argue we're no better than a number of sides operating on a heck of a lot less funding than us.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 10:05 - Dec 2 with 1612 viewsTheBlueGnu

You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 08:59 - Dec 2 by Yallop

The day Town reach the Premiership will coincide with the moment when Miss Minogue says to me: "That was great TheBlueGnu, do it again honey"

Poll: Other than "The Mean Machine", what was your favourite Wacky Races car ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024