Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Well PhilTWTD... 17:39 - Jan 6 with 3466 viewsOriginalMarkyP

...in what alternative universe did you think you'd be writing a headline which said Norwood is a good example!

It's like the Shirley Jackosn short story Charles.

Poll: After our 7 goal thrashing of Needham should we?
Blog: Sounds Better in a Song

Well PhilTWTD... on 17:49 - Jan 6 with 3147 viewsSwansea_Blue

It must be quite nice to be able to write reports with a bit more to them and some positivity coming out of the camp. From Evan's statements the other day it sounds like everything has ramped up a notch in professionalism and the players are responding to that.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Well PhilTWTD... on 19:11 - Jan 6 with 2919 viewsistanblue

Because he is a good example. Norwood is one of the few at the club that will actually give 100% commitment on the pitch. Anyone who's actually watched him has seen that at HT and FT he's completely drenched in sweat.
Well PhilTWTD... on 19:31 - Jan 6 with 2819 viewsxrayspecs

Well PhilTWTD... on 19:11 - Jan 6 by istanblue

Because he is a good example. Norwood is one of the few at the club that will actually give 100% commitment on the pitch. Anyone who's actually watched him has seen that at HT and FT he's completely drenched in sweat.

Sweating out the booze?
Well PhilTWTD... on 19:36 - Jan 6 with 2780 viewsPhilTWTD

I did smile a bit when I wrote that.
Well PhilTWTD... on 19:42 - Jan 6 with 2747 viewsDubtractor

Well PhilTWTD... on 19:36 - Jan 6 by PhilTWTD

I did smile a bit when I wrote that.

Without giving too much away Phil, how are you finding McKenna in the pressers? Based on the bits I've seen and read it seems he is already relaxing into it a bit, and he seems to be giving you more to work with.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Well PhilTWTD... on 19:50 - Jan 6 with 2716 viewsPhilTWTD

Well PhilTWTD... on 19:42 - Jan 6 by Dubtractor

Without giving too much away Phil, how are you finding McKenna in the pressers? Based on the bits I've seen and read it seems he is already relaxing into it a bit, and he seems to be giving you more to work with.

Seems a decent bloke. Is business-like but friendly, even had a brief post-presser chat with me and another one of the press pack after the Wycombe game rather than scarpering as soon as we'd finished. Doesn't see being asked questions as an imposition unlike certain past managers and up to now has actually answered them!
Well PhilTWTD... on 20:20 - Jan 6 with 2522 viewsitfc_bucks

Well PhilTWTD... on 19:50 - Jan 6 by PhilTWTD

Seems a decent bloke. Is business-like but friendly, even had a brief post-presser chat with me and another one of the press pack after the Wycombe game rather than scarpering as soon as we'd finished. Doesn't see being asked questions as an imposition unlike certain past managers and up to now has actually answered them!

Well, name names then...
Well PhilTWTD... on 22:28 - Jan 6 with 2153 viewsOriginalMarkyP

I think his (apparent) lack of secrecy is his biggest plus point so far. The lack of injury info from Cook always felt so outdated to me. As Bielsa showed, other teams know (or have a pretty good idea) who's injured and who isn't. We still have the squad size and depth to produce selection surprises for the opposition on match day. Transparency, or at least perceived transparency has the air of confidence about it that I often felt Cook's sometimes petulant responses seemed to lack.

Poll: After our 7 goal thrashing of Needham should we?
Blog: Sounds Better in a Song

Login to get fewer ads

Well PhilTWTD... on 23:25 - Jan 6 with 2032 viewsCoastalblue

He'll be booked in for 'Manager Media Training' soon enough I expect so make hay.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Well PhilTWTD... on 08:31 - Jan 7 with 1708 viewsblu_dru

PC always seemed very annoyed whenever asked a question and spouted a load of cliches and nonsense without actually giving an answer. That or just "i'm not talking about players". The new guy seems to answer as honestly as possible.
Well PhilTWTD... on 09:03 - Jan 7 with 1608 viewsGarv

Well PhilTWTD... on 22:28 - Jan 6 by OriginalMarkyP

I think his (apparent) lack of secrecy is his biggest plus point so far. The lack of injury info from Cook always felt so outdated to me. As Bielsa showed, other teams know (or have a pretty good idea) who's injured and who isn't. We still have the squad size and depth to produce selection surprises for the opposition on match day. Transparency, or at least perceived transparency has the air of confidence about it that I often felt Cook's sometimes petulant responses seemed to lack.

I agree in a sense but at the same time, why does the average fan sitting in the stand need to know when x player is going to be back from injury? So he can talk about it on his podcast?

I've heard grown men on shows recently sounding off about how they haven't been 'kept in the loop' regarding the injury status of certain players. It's embarrassing.

If a manager doesn't want to tell people, deal with it. He said very early on he wasn't into talking about those sorts of things. While I don't blame the press for asking, they know he won't answer the question, so don't get upset when it happens.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Well PhilTWTD... on 09:20 - Jan 7 with 1556 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Yeah but just you wait until he’s lost a few games…

(ducks)

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Well PhilTWTD... on 09:28 - Jan 7 with 1525 viewsPhilTWTD

Well PhilTWTD... on 08:31 - Jan 7 by blu_dru

PC always seemed very annoyed whenever asked a question and spouted a load of cliches and nonsense without actually giving an answer. That or just "i'm not talking about players". The new guy seems to answer as honestly as possible.

It wasn't him I meant re seeming affronted that people would ask him questions, but I do agree that he often just came out with cliches and little of any depth much of the time. His answers often didn't relate to the question he was asked but was just what he had planned to say. If I remember rightly, the Demolition Man comment was actually in response to a question I asked about the chances of young players getting a run-out in the final weeks of last season.
Lambert out. (n/t) on 09:37 - Jan 7 with 1435 viewsBloots

Well PhilTWTD... on 09:28 - Jan 7 by PhilTWTD

It wasn't him I meant re seeming affronted that people would ask him questions, but I do agree that he often just came out with cliches and little of any depth much of the time. His answers often didn't relate to the question he was asked but was just what he had planned to say. If I remember rightly, the Demolition Man comment was actually in response to a question I asked about the chances of young players getting a run-out in the final weeks of last season.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Well PhilTWTD... on 09:37 - Jan 7 with 1435 viewsSwansea_Blue

Let's see how he gets on when the pressure's on. But for now he's sseming a bit more stable (is that fair?) than some of our previous managers. His to camera delivery isn't particularly inspiring, but there's more meat in his answers and the players seem to think that his training methods are a step up. That's good enough for me for now. This could turn out to be a very astute appointment for us.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Lambert out. (n/t) on 09:39 - Jan 7 with 1421 viewsPhilTWTD

Lambert out. (n/t) on 09:37 - Jan 7 by Bloots

Was more MM I was talking about. Lambert was similar to Cook in that answers were usually an amalgam of a few stock phrases.
Well PhilTWTD... on 09:41 - Jan 7 with 1388 viewsPhilTWTD

Well PhilTWTD... on 09:20 - Jan 7 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Yeah but just you wait until he’s lost a few games…

(ducks)

Perhaps, but I'm not sure he'd become as difficult in those circumstances as some have become.

In terms of his overall approach after the Wycombe game, I think he may be a bit like Tony Mowbray in that post-match press conferences can become tactical discussions at times rather than providing soundbites. But obviously we only have one game to go on so far.
Well PhilTWTD... on 09:41 - Jan 7 with 1381 viewshype313

Well PhilTWTD... on 09:37 - Jan 7 by Swansea_Blue

Let's see how he gets on when the pressure's on. But for now he's sseming a bit more stable (is that fair?) than some of our previous managers. His to camera delivery isn't particularly inspiring, but there's more meat in his answers and the players seem to think that his training methods are a step up. That's good enough for me for now. This could turn out to be a very astute appointment for us.

People seem to want managers who rant and rave and jump all over the place on the touchline and deem it a definition of success.

Look at Rugby, all the coaches sit in the stand, as they get a better view of the game and therefore take a more holistic view of the way the game is playing out.

Steve Borthwick isn't someone you would invite to a party, but he is 16 wins out of 16, McKenna might not be the life and soul, but if his pragmatic approach means we have a coherent plan and approach resulting in wins then bring it on.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Ha! Knew you were going to say that..... on 09:42 - Jan 7 with 1380 viewsBloots

Lambert out. (n/t) on 09:39 - Jan 7 by PhilTWTD

Was more MM I was talking about. Lambert was similar to Cook in that answers were usually an amalgam of a few stock phrases.

.....I miss Mick.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Well PhilTWTD... on 09:54 - Jan 7 with 1317 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Well PhilTWTD... on 09:41 - Jan 7 by PhilTWTD

Perhaps, but I'm not sure he'd become as difficult in those circumstances as some have become.

In terms of his overall approach after the Wycombe game, I think he may be a bit like Tony Mowbray in that post-match press conferences can become tactical discussions at times rather than providing soundbites. But obviously we only have one game to go on so far.

I wasn’t being serious, but appreciate the insight all the same!

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Well PhilTWTD... on 10:46 - Jan 7 with 1141 viewsHighgateBlue

Not seeing questions as an imposition indicates professionalism, but I think it also indicates a lack of insecurities. I guess maybe anyone would get a bit tetchy after a few losses with one's job on the line, but I think if you're confident in your own ability, unless you're riddled with insecurities, the mature thing to do is to calmly explain to the (knowledgable but non-football-professional) journalist why you're right and he's wrong!
Lambert out. (n/t) on 10:49 - Jan 7 with 1121 viewsHerbivore

Mick was too busy being competent at coaching and managing the team to trouble himself with press duties. His predecessors and successors were better with the media but utterly terrible at coaching and management. Hopefully K-Mac can do both well, that'd be a breath of fresh air.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Well PhilTWTD... on 11:09 - Jan 7 with 1042 viewsfarkenhell

Well PhilTWTD... on 09:28 - Jan 7 by PhilTWTD

"His answers often didn't relate to the question he was asked but was just what he had planned to say."

Are you suggesting that Mr Cook has a future career in politics?
Lambert out. (n/t) on 11:10 - Jan 7 with 1035 viewsfarkenhell

...and Mr Lambert?
Well PhilTWTD... on 11:13 - Jan 7 with 1007 viewstractorboy1978

Well PhilTWTD... on 09:41 - Jan 7 by PhilTWTD

Are you suggesting that McKenna would not tell Brenner that he would hate to be his wife?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024